what do you eat when you are......not sober??

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Author
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 22:16:32 (permalink)
Dearfolk,
My late-night-done-been-drinking choice would be anything I don't have to drive to! I've never gotten a D. U. I. in 30+ years of savoring good drink, and I don't want to receive the first one!
A good choice here in lovely Athens, Georgia ia The Grill at 171 College Avenue on College Square. The single greatest sobering mechanism on their menu is the Big Molly Burger, which is so huge you have to eat it with a knife and fork: picking it up is impossible. Its accompaniment is fries with feta dressing.
The best thing I've ever been dragged to when out drinking was a Mexican place that served me a bowl of menudo that warmed the dark corners of my soul while rendering me a more-sober fool in 30 minutes flat.
Now, regards the late, great Tan Canary, Johnny Adams, I own several of his pre-S. S. S. International singles: I think all of them are on the RON and RIC labels.
One of my all-time favorite New Orleans records is "But I Do" by Clarence (Frogman) Henry. Every time I hear that played, I think of my first drive down St. Charles Avenue, the great oaks arching overhead, the streetcars clanging by. So many good records came out of N. O., and a lot of those - like "Me Big Chief" by Professor Longhair (with uncredited Earl King on vocal) on WATCH should have been bigger national hits than they were. I am as partial to any 45 arrenged and/or produced by the great Wardell Quezergue, The Creole Beethoven, as I am to any generous serving of correctly prepared red beans and rice: furthermore, both will keep you alive for long periods of time with little other sustenance!
If y'all think food and beer are my passions, it's just coz y'all haven't gotten me started talking about my 45 record collection....
Always Turning The Tables (At All Four Speeds), Ort. Carlton in Vinyl-Rich Athens, Georgia.
Argent
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 125
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/02 23:53:29 (permalink)
Little Tavern ,
WHEN YOUR TO DRUNK TO CARE
Buy em the bag
improviser
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 865
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/03 00:39:24 (permalink)
Mayhaw Man,

Thanks for the tip. I will definitely look for that album on ebay when I have more fundage. I love early Neville Brothers, esp. "Fiyo," "Iko-Iko" and "Yellow Moon".
pmtn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/03 21:39:36 (permalink)
ohhhhhhhh k.
disregarding aaron neville, perhaps i might hone in on a more specific craving?
drunk+hunger+AVAILIBILITY=????????????
GOD BLESS
P.
Mayhaw Man
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 589
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/03 21:58:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
One of my all-time favorite New Orleans records is "But I Do" by Clarence (Frogman) Henry. Every time I hear that played, I think of my first drive down St. Charles Avenue, the great oaks arching overhead, the streetcars clanging by. So many good records came out of N. O., and a lot of those - like "Me Big Chief" by Professor Longhair (with uncredited Earl King on vocal) on WATCH should have been bigger national hits than they were. I am as partial to any 45 arrenged and/or produced by the great Wardell Quezergue, The Creole Beethoven, as I am to any generous serving of correctly prepared red beans and rice: furthermore, both will keep you alive for long periods of time with little other sustenance!
If y'all think food and beer are my passions, it's just coz y'all haven't gotten me started talking about my 45 record collection....
Always Turning The Tables (At All Four Speeds), Ort. Carlton in Vinyl-Rich Athens, Georgia.

O.K. Ort,
I'll bite.....78-.45-.33-what is the fourth speed? CD? Wax Roll? Inquiring record minds want to know.

Incidentally, Earl King (the funniest guy to ever play music in New Orleans with the possible exceptions of Mac Rebennack and Snooks Eaglin and maybe Bill Davis (but only in a white guy, miscreant, bad clown sort of way)) not only appears on the original version of Big Chief, he wrote it. Fess popularized it. Sadly, because of Ron and Ric and a bunch of other record labels like them, they never made much off of the publishing. Leonard Chess was a mere amateur at stealing royalties compared to the sharpies in the Crescent City.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/03 23:17:10 (permalink)
quote:

A chili size at the Waffle House? I've been eating at Waffle Houses for years and I've never seen that on the menu.

Michael, it isn't on the menu. You have to ask for it. Unfortunately they usually serve it closed, like a hamburger. When I order one I usually have to specify a double cheeseburger served open face and with chili on both sides. Thats how I like mine. With a double order of hashbrown scattered covered and chili on them.

MikeS.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5466
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/03 23:23:14 (permalink)
It has been a long time since I drank to excess. I found that when I'd had too much I would be praying to the porcelain God. I usually limit myself to 2 max now. But...back in the day I can't really remember any one thing that I had to have.

I had forgotten about Jack i/t Box tacos. Those that they deep fry and then add shredded lettuce to. We used to buy them on sale 4 to a buck. I'd eat 8 and the wife and kids would split another 4. No wonder I'm so big.

MikeS.
EdSails
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4090
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/06 15:05:13 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:

Dearfolk,

O.K. Ort,
I'll bite.....78-.45-.33-what is the fourth speed? CD? Wax Roll? Inquiring record minds want to know.

Incidentally, Earl King (the funniest guy to ever play music in New Orleans with the possible exceptions of Mac Rebennack and Snooks Eaglin and maybe Bill Davis (but only in a white guy, miscreant, bad clown sort of way)) not only appears on the original version of Big Chief, he wrote it. Fess popularized it. Sadly, because of Ron and Ric and a bunch of other record labels like them, they never made much off of the publishing. Leonard Chess was a mere amateur at stealing royalties compared to the sharpies in the Crescent City.

16 2/3 was a speed mainly used for talking records. Thus.....at 33 1/3...you got the Chipmunks!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18690
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/06 15:11:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Texicana

OOers, the husband is well aware of what TeeJay's Country can do for a liquor binge. Across the river from us in Ironton OH, we have something similar called the ChickenCoop at a place called Peddler's that stays open all night.
Are you talking about Ahrn-ton?
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18690
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/06 15:16:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by MikeSh

quote:

A chili size at the Waffle House? I've been eating at Waffle Houses for years and I've never seen that on the menu.

Michael, it isn't on the menu. You have to ask for it. Unfortunately they usually serve it closed, like a hamburger. When I order one I usually have to specify a double cheeseburger served open face and with chili on both sides. Thats how I like mine. With a double order of hashbrown scattered covered and chili on them.

MikeS.
I got the folks at my nearby Waffle House to make one for me yesterday. And I had to get the regional manager, who happened to be working the counter, to OK it. It was pretty good. By the way, that double order of hashbrowns you describe is scattered, covered and topped.
Ort. Carlton.
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/07 21:44:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EdSails

quote:

quote:

Dearfolk,

O.K. Ort,

16 2/3 was a speed mainly used for talking records. Thus.....at 33 1/3...you got the Chipmunks!

Ed,
Thanks a zillion! You managed to catch that one before I was able to - I've been writing and not researching the last few nights, so I haven't been by here. Glad you erased those question marks! (Hold all references to The Mysterians for another post.)
In all the mass of vinyl I own, I don't have any 16-2/3 albums... that I recall, anyway. The Chipmunks, though, sound real interesting when taken from the 33 down to 16 speed. And Brenda Lee 45s played on 33 sound somewhat like Shawn Phillips. I haven't tried it the other way around yet: should I?
A l w a y s A L i t t l e O f f S p e e d , O r t . C a r l t o n i n L o v e l y A t h e n s , G A .
Dipstick
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/10 23:25:13 (permalink)
My "lovely" and I finally got a night off together and had some serious libations! She suggested a nearby chinese place, and much to my amazement, I think my new favorite "altered" food is beef lo mein!
I am trying to scarf it down right now without getting too much on the keyboard!
TANFANRN
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/11 05:11:31 (permalink)
IN DETROIT, IT'S WHITE CASTLES-FIRST CHOICE. LAFAYETTE CONEY ISLAND FOR "2 ON 1" AND AN ORDER OF CHILI FRIES. GREENE'S HAMBURGERS ARE THE BEST SLIDERS IN METRO DETROIT. WITH AN ALKA SELTZER CHASER OF COURSE.
stormycat
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 102
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/15 16:54:31 (permalink)
Monte Cristo Sandwich. Sweet. Salty. Its got that special fatty goodness that makes me nice and sleepy.
tiki
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4140
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/15 21:24:33 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by stormycat

Monte Cristo Sandwich. Sweet. Salty. Its got that special fatty goodness that makes me nice and sleepy.

you know---i bet that would be good!--maybe i should go get drunk and find out!!
Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/10/17 17:29:18 (permalink)
Jack in the Box tacos for me apres 2am, never before. Or if I feel(?) adventuresome, I go to the 7-11 next to my apartment and get a big grab bag of fritos, rip it open an pour chili in it. The poor Indian guys behind the counter never know what to charge me when I do that!
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/11/26 15:29:52 (permalink)
Hadn't seen this question, what a funny forum. I just can't eat anymore after drinking, if I don't eat something before drinking, I'm done for. Give me a large pizza first, and I can go all night. Back in the day we would go to the truck stop after bar close, I always had chicken strips and mashed potatos with brown gravy. Most of the other guys liked eggs and hash browns. I remember one person liking chocolate pudding on his hashbrowns. We'd bring in a pint and spike the coffee, like we needed more. We were all weighing in at around 250 those last college fat years, the years you ate like you were still going to the gym 5 days a week. Jeff ate 6 #2 breakfests one night, and forgot to pay. Good lord we gave some of the other patrons greif.

Like Clint Eastwood said "I ain't like that anymore".
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/11/26 16:00:33 (permalink)
quote:
Just my humble opinion, but if you think I feel strongly about good food, I feel ten times stronger about music. They are both food for the soul

AMEN!!
capnhank
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 96
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/11/26 17:34:43 (permalink)
Back when I drank heavily, an afterhours visit to Jack in the Box for an Utimate Cheeseburger, Super Taco and Curly Fries (with extra ranch dressing, of course) would lead to my awakening on the couch several hours later covered in empty bags and, occasionally, a partial cheeseburger. Ah, the good ol' days!

Now I'm more refined, of course.
It's all about Boneyards at Taco Bravo in Campbell, CA. It's not on the menu, but when you order a Boneyard, they just throw a bit of everything onto a tortilla and wrap it up. Part Mission-style burrito, part Garbage (a la Cindy's Diner in Ft. Wayne, In). It's sort of the food equivalent of drinking a barmat, if you know what that is. I think Taco Bravo does more business after the bars close than during the rest of the day, but that's because it's not very good when you're sober (not at all unlike Jack in the Box!).
Craig328
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 89
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/11/26 20:03:33 (permalink)
When I was living in New Jersey nothing was better after a night of adult inebriations than a sack of White Castle Burgers. Many a time I awoke the following day regretting the day I was born. More recently Quizno's Subs will do it for me or if I'm at home El Paso Brand Microwavable Burritos should my wife allow.
RockyB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 120
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/01 15:31:10 (permalink)
Like the Wanderingjew, I no longer get to a point where I'm not sober, but..back in the day...In my neck of the woods the bars used to sell these things called Stewart sandwiches. The came wrapped in plastic and the bartenders cooked them in this sort of convection oven. They tasted about like your shoe and you would never have gone near them if you were only operating on pure air. You knew things were going downhill when you decided it was time for a Stewart Sandwich. After eating too many Stewart's and the bar was closed, it was off for eggs, sausage & homefries at who ever was open. It's sort of amazing that anyone who ate those sandwiches lived to tell about it!
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/01 16:18:44 (permalink)
I think that they just finally run out !!

I believe that they were all made in 1903 and then dispersed throughout the nation !!!

Wonder who got the last one ??
EliseT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2883
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/02 04:00:40 (permalink)
Ooh, this bar we used to hang out at it had a hideous creation called a flapstick...a hot dog on a stick wrapped in a pancake. I never got THAT drunk.
tiki
Filet Mignon
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/02 09:34:22 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by EliseT

Ooh, this bar we used to hang out at it had a hideous creation called a flapstick...a hot dog on a stick wrapped in a pancake. I never got THAT drunk.

Ya know,i thought i'd tried about "Everything-On-A-Stick",but that ones even a little wierd for me!!! Having tended bar in some strange places--(the Oddessy on San Pablo in Berzerkley for one)--and served some strange things that we called "food"--mostly for the purpose of otaining the right kind of liscence---but The Flapstick takes the title of "strangest bar food ive ever seen"! Tell me---did you get a choice of syrup or mustard?
alesrus
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 292
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/02 10:20:01 (permalink)
A long long time ago two of my friends and I were very hungry and very drunk. The only thing we could find was frozen bacon. We put the whole pound in to a microwave with the intent to peel it and fry it. We ended up eating about 3/4 of a pound of raw bacon Never did that again!
Grampy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/02 10:48:59 (permalink)
All my meals...
capnhank
Hamburger
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/04 13:46:20 (permalink)
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you:

(Courtesy of James Lileks and the Minnesota State Fair)
capnhank
Hamburger
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/04 16:44:55 (permalink)
I understand that deep-fried Mars bars are popular in Scotland, where deep-frying is a gooey art form. I've also heard of deep-fried Twinkies, but that may be an urban myth...
capnhank
Hamburger
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/12/04 19:24:38 (permalink)
We're way off topic now, but have you seen the new "Cookies and..." bars from M&M/Mars? They've decided to take their most popular candy bars and pour them in a cookie "cradle" of sorts. Definitely cross-marketing, but full of odd ideas. For instance, while the "Cookies and Snickers" bar is pretty good, the whole concept of "Cookies and Twix" seems like overkill. Too much bloody cookie, not enough candy.
Anyway, they'd probably just fall apart in the deep-fryer...
Sushi_Girl
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 228
RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2004/01/09 09:06:20 (permalink)
Here in Gainesville, the late night drunk food for me is just a matter of who is driving me and where they are willing to take me. now that im married, we take turns being the designated driver. here are my choices;
Dennys: i usually get the Boca burger all the way with fries and lots of ranch dressing
Perkins: two poached eggs, sausage and gravy, coffee.
El Indio: huge side of guacamole, Carne Asade steak soft taco, Two Baja fish tacos (lots of hot sauce and cabbage inside)
Pizza- anchovies and extra cheese
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 3 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1