what do you eat when you are......not sober??

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
pmtn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 5
2003/09/28 21:09:29 (permalink)

what do you eat when you are......not sober??

as one who has been lurking in the e-shadows for a while, let me begin by saluting all the regulars, [i feel as if i have come to know an unseen cadre of friends], also the many new posters who with their assertiveness have given me the verve to come forthwith.
as i have from the start, i will frequent these pages after a night spent wastefully on the "town", and satiate my hunger for both intelliget diatrabe and , well, hunger.
plainly asked, is there a faviorite snack or easy chow down whilst imbibed?
my preference is eggs any style, butter[lots] and toast.easy and filling.
god bless,
p.

93 Replies Related Threads

Michael Stern
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/28 21:25:18 (permalink)
    Peanuts by the pound
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/28 23:21:42 (permalink)
    When I was 21, and after an evening of drinking Rum and Coke I decided to stumble down the block to the 7-11. I bought a bag of Chips Ahoy and a Gallon of Milk. I stumbled back to my house flopped down in the recliner, poured me a big glass of milk and tore open the cookies. I woke up the next afternoon still in the recliner. Gallon of milk was gone as were the Chips Ahoy. By the way, I lived alone at the time. Aliens???????
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 00:00:23 (permalink)
    Umm, a "friend" once woke up sitting up with a peanut butter sandwich in her lap...one bite missing.
    Lucky Bishop
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 00:28:15 (permalink)
    When I lived in Albuquerque, gig nights were always ended with a visit to the Frontier at about 2:30 a.m. for huevos rancheros, a sweet roll and coffee.

If the Frontier was too much of a madhouse, Whataburger would do in a pinch.

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15335
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 00:51:22 (permalink)
    WHITE CASTLES......Lots of them stacked up in my lap...and a pile of empty little boxes growing on the floor as I dive deeper and deeper into the pile!
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 02:53:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

WHITE CASTLES......Lots of them stacked up in my lap...and a pile of empty little boxes growing on the floor as I dive deeper and deeper into the pile!

And then if you pass out, you have a nice soft cushion of empty boxes to fall into! Genius!
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 06:40:19 (permalink)
    Huevos Rancherero,Hash and eggs, Burgers, or whatever leftovers are in the fridge,depending on where i'm doing my partying!!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13565
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 08:09:22 (permalink)
    It seems my body craves grease for some reason. Perhaps it is because the alcohol has created a very tender raw stomach.

We do not have White Castles in Knoxvile but have Krystal's which are similar. A few of those does the trick and generally makes me very sleepy after ingestion.

Even a good hot Krispy Kreme does the trick.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7965
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 08:42:26 (permalink)
    Nowadays I don't get to the point when I'm not sober. Back in my college and High School days it was always one of the following places. 7/11 for a 7/11 microwaved burrito, white castle, taco bell (you can see how my taste has changed over the last 20 years) or "the diner" which back on Long Island was your typical lavish 24 hour Greek, Meditteranean style diner with the 15 page menu. You can find these diners literally every 1/2 mile. I really miss them. The closest long island style diners are in the Hartford CT area, an 80 mile drive.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 589
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 08:50:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by EliseT

Umm, a "friend" once woke up sitting up with a peanut butter sandwich in her lap...one bite missing.

If she hadn't awakened so soon, I would have finished it
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 10:00:36 (permalink)
    More beer...
    tamandmik
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 949
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 10:07:21 (permalink)
    Potato Chips, especially Herr's Sour Cream, or Wise Barbecue!
    Howard Baratz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 450
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 10:12:33 (permalink)
    Like wanderingjew, a trip to the Greek diner was always the last stop after an evening of not soberness. It's the perfect place to go with a group because they truly have something for everyone. Eggs and omelettes, burgers (fries with brown gravy, please!), a club sandwich, greek platters, and, of course, that delicious but incongruous Greek diner classic: Chinese roast pork on garlic bread, etc., etc. Finish that off with a huge piece of cake or pie which caught your eye as it was revolving around in the lit bakery case next to the cash register.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 10:21:12 (permalink)
    Jack-in-the-box tacos. Accept no substitute. Except maybe a chili size at the Waffle House.
    hatteras04
    • Total Posts : 1106
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 11:04:45 (permalink)
    We have place in Columbus, OH called TeeJay's Country Place that is the late night destination of those who have had a few too many. I think the best thing to get after a night out is the Barnyard Buster. It is basically a plate of eggs, potatoes and biscuits with the whole plate completely covered with a thick layer of sausage gravy. It is also one of the few places in town I have seen that serves creamed chipped beef.
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 11:08:58 (permalink)
    I think this will cover alot of the world, but if you want to find really drunk people or really sober people and almost no one in between you will need to head for Waffle House. It seems to be the gathering point in my part of the South for drunks looking to sober up and people chatting after various 12 step meetings. I always enjoy the mix.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 11:21:48 (permalink)
    Well ! first I must say that a proper Southern Gentleman is never not sober !!

But .... when one needs a repast from an evening of tasting fine Southern spirits ... one often hankers for a Bacon and Egg sandwich ... with thick slices of market sliced hickory smoked bacon and fresh brown country eggs gently caressed by freshly made sourdough bread toasted to perfection with an application of mayo ... Dukes, of course !!!

Or so I have heard !!!
    johnnym
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 11:32:17 (permalink)
    Diner food is the best way to cap off an evening of drinking. The more grease the better, especially if it is food that you would think twice about eating while sober. My favorite stops:
    Stumbling up the hill to UVM in Burlington VT : Gravy Fries from Nectars. Or a delivery of wings.
    Stumbling anywhere in Britain : A huge serving of chips and cheese.
    Stumbling around Providence : New York System! 3 or 4 up the arm.
    Stumbling around Boston : used to be Kappy's over by Northeastern for chicken fingers. Now South St. Diner has been doing the trick. A supah roast beef with cheese and sauce from Mike's on Rt. 99 is good, if you have a friendly non-hammered driver.
    Nothing like waking up to discover an ENORMOUS empty bag of take-out food in the morning and thinking...'I was THAT hungry?'
    hucknbock
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 26
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 11:40:46 (permalink)
    When I was living in Missoula, there were generally two places to head at the end of the "bar run." One was the Missoula Club, which served handmade burgers any size you want with anything you wanted on them. I seem to remember a lot of Pepper Jack cheese. The other was the Oxford Cafe, affectionately known as "the Ox" which had calves brains and eggs on the menu. Now, there's something very few Missoulians ate sober.

PS. Just visited Missoula after a ten-year absense and both establishments are still going strong.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18944
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 12:19:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Jack-in-the-box tacos. Accept no substitute. Except maybe a chili size at the Waffle House.

A chili size at the Waffle House? I've been eating at Waffle Houses for years and I've never seen that on the menu.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18944
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 12:21:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by hatteras04

We have place in Columbus, OH called TeeJay's Country Place that is the late night destination of those who have had a few too many. I think the best thing to get after a night out is the Barnyard Buster. It is basically a plate of eggs, potatoes and biscuits with the whole plate completely covered with a thick layer of sausage gravy. It is also one of the few places in town I have seen that serves creamed chipped beef.

I'm not a fan of the TeeJay's offerings that are covered with the gravy, but I do like their chipped beef on biscuits.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 13:36:10 (permalink)
    Michael, the location in Pasadena near to where Gilley's used to be had it.
    howard8
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 355
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 13:52:26 (permalink)
    When with a group after a night of drinking, it was always eggs, home fries, sausage and toast plus coffee naturally in a diner. When alone it was White Castle:4 hamburgers and 4 cheeseburgers, all eaten by the time I arrived home
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4138
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 15:18:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Chili relleno, kimchi, pistachios.......but if I am in the mood to venture out (with someone else driving of course!) the Jack Tacos really fit the bill! Somehow that's the only time they actually taste good------but they are superb at that point!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 15:36:30 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:

Did you mean the sandwich or . . . ?
    dbear
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 16:13:58 (permalink)
    This goes back aways, but for many years the place to go in Boston late at night hammered or sober, was Mondo's. The original Mondo's was in Haymarket Sq. before it was yuppified, opened around 11:00 PM and stayed open until about 6:00 AM. Later it moved to, I think, Sleeper St in what is now the Seaport area. Their big item was the farmer's special breakfast, which cost $1.00. This consisted of 3 eggs over easy, home fries, ham, bacon or sausage and a couple of pieces of toast, coffee and juice; should have been a money loser for them even then, except for the volume with which the cooks slung the stuff out. There was no time or need for heat lamps because of the turnover and everything they served came from the haymarket, so was very fresh. I'm not exactly sure how many times I went there during the 70's and early 80's (heh heh), but it was a lot. I remember the guy cooking the eggs had two 3 x 4 ft. griddles going and they were full constanly; he cracked 4 eggs at a time, using both hands, and filled up 2 trash cans at the same time with the shells. Oddly enough, the only other thing anyone ever ordered was strawberry shortcake, and they sold alot of that also. Haven't thought about Mondo's in years; a truly classic dive with good cheap food and a hilarious cast of characters.
    Laughing Goddess
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 16:16:13 (permalink)
    Well, for me last night (I'm unemployed, so no reason to stay sober on Sunday nights, LOL) it was homemade clam dip and chips, and I think at some point I ate some green olives stuffed with blue cheese. No cooking while not-sober, or else the smoke alarm goes off.

And I'm jealous that we don't have Jack In the Box or Steak N Shake here for those late-night snacks. JITBs tacos are weird, but they RULE!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 17:09:09 (permalink)
    Well, as for me, "Lips that touch wine will never touch Mine."

Or, wait a minute, maybe that was "lips that touch headcheese will never touch mine".

Shoot, I don't know. I get all that stuff mixed up...
    Mayhaw Man
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: what do you eat when you are......not sober?? 2003/09/29 17:11:10 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by oneiron339

quote:
    Originally posted by Mayhaw Man

quote:

Did you mean the sandwich or . . . ?

" />The Sandwich, but gentlemen never tell
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1