what ice cream flavor would you like to see?

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Wallyum
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 627
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/17 23:58:23 (permalink)
When I was a kid, the Baskin Robbins in Hyde Park had something called Red Apple Jack for a short time. I believe it was a sherbet. I've been waiting for it's return ever since.
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 02:44:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wallhd

Anyhow, one of the original Frosty Dairy Bar flavors was pineapple ice cream. I don't know as I've seen that anywhere since. While I'll admit that time tends to distort one's memory, the pineapple ice cream was darn good.

Wally

The current Feature Flavor of Prairie Farms ice cream is Pineapple Upside Down Cake. The description from the box is "pineapple upside down cake ice cream blended with pound cake pieces and a brown sugar pineapple swirl". It is very tasty, but also very sweet!
Tedbear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1832
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 08:54:24 (permalink)
Regarding Starbucks, there are a few things that you should be aware of. Professional coffee tasters usually refer to the brand as "Charbucks", due to the burned taste that results from over-roasting the beans. If someone likes that taste, that is fine, but any opinion that I have ever seen from the true coffee experts is one of "poor" for Starbucks. In a recent issue of Consumer Reports, their sensory experts, who did a series of blind taste tests, rated Starbucks at the bottom of their list.

Also--the price of a cup of coffee varies considerably from one Starbucks to another. While you can get a cup occasionally for as "little" as $1.85, it is not unusual to see a charge of around $3.00 for the "tall" (that, of course, is the small size) coffee at some locations.

While the distribution may vary from one area of the country to another, I can tell you that Starbucks Ice Cream has been available in NJ for quite some time. I can't give you an exact figure, but I would guess that I have seen it in the grocery store for over a year.

Oh--and as to what flavor of ice cream I would like to see, this is one that I believe I had years ago at Baskin-Robbins. Can anyone tell me if their Blueberry Cheese Cake flavor still exists?

Barney
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 115
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 09:23:26 (permalink)
When B&R first came to town, one of their flavors was called Jack Lemon (not sure if they spelled it the same as one of my all time favorite actors). I think it may have been seasonal but it was so creamy and lemony. I've not seen it in years and suspect it wasn't popular enough to sustain it. Another favorite I'd like to see again is plain coconut ice cream (another of B&R's flavors). All I've seen there now is Nutty Coconut. It has so many nuts, the coconut flavor seems insignificant. Bring back the good old flavors, simple and not so complex!

A flavor I've not seen in hard ice cream would be something we used to know as "malted milk". Used to get it in a waxed paper dixie cup with a flat wooden spoon to dip out of the cup. It was a lot like like a Wendy's frosty but with a much smoother texture and definate malt in the mix! I've give anything to get my hands on that flavor one more time again!
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15335
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 10:46:39 (permalink)
Barney
The Thrifty/Rite Aids Drug Stores had a flavor called Chocolate Malted Krunch that was a standard for years, It may still be on the flavor list. It had broken-up pieces of the Malt Ball candy spread thru-out the chocolate malt ice cream.
Salustra
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 510
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 11:34:31 (permalink)
Barney,
I believe Coldstone Creamery has a coconut ice cream - and, of course, you can have them mix in even more coconut.
Lucky Bishop
  • Total Posts : 1049
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 13:24:09 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Tedbear

Regarding Starbucks, there are a few things that you should be aware of. Professional coffee tasters usually refer to the brand as "Charbucks", due to the burned taste that results from over-roasting the beans. If someone likes that taste, that is fine, but any opinion that I have ever seen from the true coffee experts is one of "poor" for Starbucks. In a recent issue of Consumer Reports, their sensory experts, who did a series of blind taste tests, rated Starbucks at the bottom of their list.

Also--the price of a cup of coffee varies considerably from one Starbucks to another. While you can get a cup occasionally for as "little" as $1.85, it is not unusual to see a charge of around $3.00 for the "tall" (that, of course, is the small size) coffee at some locations.

Tedbear, there are a few things that you should be aware of. Foremost among these is that you sound like a condescending little snot here. We're all aware of what "professional coffee tasters" think of Starbucks, and many of us -- including myself -- agree that their full city roasts are burnt. (The more recent "Lightnote" roasts, however, are quite nice, though not a patch on a good George Howell roast from Terroir, naturally.) You're not imparting new information here.

Furthermore, what is this "occasionally" and "at some locations" jive? Sounds like someone talking out of a part of his anatomy through one one is not supposed to talk. Definite cites, please, not hearsay. Tell me these locations where a small cup of brewed coffee -- which is what we're discussing here, not the foofy espresso drinks -- costs $3. Show me pictures of the menus. Otherwise, I have to take you at your word. All I know is that I have never spent more than $1.85 for the largest size of BREWED COFFEE -- again, that's what we're talking about here, simple brewed coffee -- at a Starbucks, and I've been in a lotta Starbucks in a lotta places.

And finally, one thing you're gonna learn quickly about Roadfooders is that we don't give a rusty g*****n about the opinions of any "experts" or "professional tasters" except those of other Roadfooders, and even then, everybody's got people they tune out immediately. Such as the 237 people who are now thinking, "Good god, Lucky's on about Starbucks again."
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18949
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 13:39:15 (permalink)
Try not to hold back, Lucky Bishop.
Lucky Bishop
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 14:29:09 (permalink)
Sorry, folks. Ongoing family medical drama, today spiced with extra bureaucratic bungling. (Hint for any medical professionals: take a second to call the family's house and see if the promised hospital bed, wheelchair and commode have actually been delivered before you just dump your patient at home.) So when Tedbear kicked off the same anti-Starbucks rant taht gets aired out here regularly, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Not that I take back a word of it or anything: I totally don't buy his weakly-supported claim that there are Starbucks out there where $3 only gets you a small brewed coffee, because if there were, wildly-expensive downtown Boston would be that place, and it's not.

Seriously, what I find amusing about my apparent role as Defender of Starbucks is that I actually can't stand their coffee, other than the aforementioned Lightnote Blends. The only reason I go to Starbucks at all is that there's one in my neighborhood supermarket that's a handy place to either meet my wife on her way home from work or grab a headache-avoidance cup on my way to our streetcar stop if I didn't have time to have some home-brewed first. Personally, gimme an extra-large cream no sugar from Dunkin Donuts if we're talking about boughten coffee at all.

Topic: I'd love to see Blue Bell return Chocolate Decadence to its flavor lineup. It was two kinds of chocolate ice cream, a fudge ripple, jimmies and FROZEN WHIPPED CREAM! You have no idea how good that was. Not that it would do any good for me, being up here in New England, but I'd be happy just knowing that it existed again.

My wife still forlornly scans the Ben and Jerry's cases, hoping against hope that someday Holy Cannoli will come back.
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 14:36:53 (permalink)
Key Lime ice cream. I had a key lime milkshake (well, a frappe, strictly speaking) this weekend at a farm stand outside of the Everglades (near Florida City/Homestead) called Robert is Here and it was fabulous. As in one of the best things I ever ate/drank.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 14:42:42 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Snowy

a sour ice cream would be nice... i know it sounds weird, but i like sour stuff...

We have an ice cream lady that drives around our town. She has "tearjerkers" ice cream. That would be your SOUR! The kids(and alot of parents)love her and nothing on her truck is over $1.
Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2414
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 14:49:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by dctourist

Key Lime ice cream. I had a key lime milkshake (well, a frappe, strictly speaking) this weekend at a farm stand outside of the Everglades (near Florida City/Homestead) called Robert is Here and it was fabulous. As in one of the best things I ever ate/drank.

Blue Bell makes a Key Lime Pie flavor. For someone who doesn't eat ice cream it was very good, right down to the pieces of graham cracker crust.
Lucky Bishop
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 14:58:44 (permalink)
I miss Blue Bell so. Is there anything they won't turn into an ice cream flavor?

New for 2005: Macaroni and cheese! Spinach! Monkey! Paint!
6star
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4388
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 15:15:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

My wife still forlornly scans the Ben and Jerry's cases, hoping against hope that someday Holy Cannoli will come back.

Can I assume your wife has filled out the form requesting Holy Cannoli back? It is here, if she has not: http://www.benjerry.com/our_products/flavor_graveyard/departed_flavors.cfm
dctourist
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 325
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 16:41:03 (permalink)
Reminds me of a childhood Roadfood story but I'll put it in this thread for now... Dad and my sister and I drove cross-country in 1973 (Oregon to New Hampshire) in an orange VW squareback. We stopped regularly at Baskin & Robbins, which I was obsessed with at that age (9) - so many flavors! Every time, he asked the person behind the counter, in a very LOUD voice , whether they had any chili con carne ice cream (he had read somewhere that they were test-marketing it).
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18949
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/18 18:10:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Bishop

Sorry, folks. Ongoing family medical drama, today spiced with extra bureaucratic bungling. (Hint for any medical professionals: take a second to call the family's house and see if the promised hospital bed, wheelchair and commode have actually been delivered before you just dump your patient at home.) So when Tedbear kicked off the same anti-Starbucks rant taht gets aired out here regularly, it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Not that I take back a word of it or anything: I totally don't buy his weakly-supported claim that there are Starbucks out there where $3 only gets you a small brewed coffee, because if there were, wildly-expensive downtown Boston would be that place, and it's not.

Seriously, what I find amusing about my apparent role as Defender of Starbucks is that I actually can't stand their coffee, other than the aforementioned Lightnote Blends. The only reason I go to Starbucks at all is that there's one in my neighborhood supermarket that's a handy place to either meet my wife on her way home from work or grab a headache-avoidance cup on my way to our streetcar stop if I didn't have time to have some home-brewed first. Personally, gimme an extra-large cream no sugar from Dunkin Donuts if we're talking about boughten coffee at all.

Topic: I'd love to see Blue Bell return Chocolate Decadence to its flavor lineup. It was two kinds of chocolate ice cream, a fudge ripple, jimmies and FROZEN WHIPPED CREAM! You have no idea how good that was. Not that it would do any good for me, being up here in New England, but I'd be happy just knowing that it existed again.

No need for sorry. I was applauding. Of course, I won't go near a Starbucks, myself -- or any other place that pours coffee into cardboard cups and charges an arm and a leg.
Snowy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/19 21:41:52 (permalink)
some kind of dark chacolate brownie fudge would be good... or a starburst food would be good... but i bet they already have those made...
jvsmom
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 462
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/19 22:12:58 (permalink)
About 20 years ago, Hood sold a Cherry Amaretto sherbet. I loved it, but I think I was the only person who ever bought it. I wish that would come back.

A few years ago, I went with the family to an ice cream place on Cape Cod that had lemon meringue ice cream. Oh, God, that was good. The ice cream was very light and fluffy, if you can imagine that, with bits of lemon-flavored stuff (lemon pie filling, maybe). Whatever it was, it was goooo-oood.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/19 23:43:45 (permalink)

Jimmies are known in some areas as Chocolate Sprinkles...little bits of semi-sweet or dark chocolate that are " Sprinkled on" ice cream... or sometimes one can roll or dip a cone into the Sprinkles. They make Rainbow colored Sprinkles also, but they aren't near as good as the chocolate.
jofie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/23 22:04:15 (permalink)
Most every flavor that is offered in ice cream in recent times involves chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, chocolate anything. I truly would love to purchase an ice cream cone such as black raspberry without chunks of chocolate. I like chocolate, but does it have to be in every flavor offered?
Snowy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 15
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/25 17:21:28 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by jofie

Most every flavor that is offered in ice cream in recent times involves chocolate chips, chocolate chunks, chocolate anything. I truly would love to purchase an ice cream cone such as black raspberry without chunks of chocolate. I like chocolate, but does it have to be in every flavor offered?

i agree.... most ice cream has chocolate in it these days.... somthing like a rasberry icecream would be good as you said...
wmceaton
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 315
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 17:19:55 (permalink)
I go to a local place in Mass named Kimball Farm. They started a new flavor this summer...Guinness Ice Cream. I love Guinness but wasnt sure how it would taste, but it was great. check it out...right off of Rte 495 www.kimballfarm.com
Huge portions as well
Scarlett
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 402
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 17:56:25 (permalink)
Other than my aforementioned BLACK FOREST CAKE ICECREAM
I remember getting a drink at (I believe) TGIFridays called the VELVET HAMMER -- Was it good! The base ingredient was vanilla icecream with rum, and almond flavored liqueor - and I don't know what else. I could have drank them until I slipped off my seat.. much to my dismay I never did have that many.

What and icecream flavor that would be..
RubyRose
  • Total Posts : 2189
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 18:26:06 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

i agree.... most ice cream has chocolate in it these days.... somthing like a rasberry icecream would be good as you said...

Jofie and Snowy - I wish you lived here in PA. There is a dairy with attached store about 15 minutes from my house called Crystal Springs that makes their own ice cream for cones or takeout in delicious unexotic flavors and black raspberry is one of their best. It's a beautiful deep lavender color with no artificial colors to make it that way.

I lived here for almost 15 years before I discovered the place. They also sell flavored milks in their dairy case, made from their own berry syrup they make in the summer - strawberry and black raspberry in addition to chocolate.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 19:30:06 (permalink)
I enjoyed a half-gallon....well at least 56 oz.. of a double rich strawberry ice cream this past week. We thawed a couple of quarts of last seasons berries to dump all over it. Janet is not a strawberry ice cream fan, so it was all MINE. Y U M !!
berndog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 674
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 19:47:50 (permalink)
I have seen green tea ice cream, but have not yet tried it. A ginger ice cream would be interesting too. Maybe some dessert ice creams like Rusty Nail (flavor of scotch and Drambuie) or Grand Marnier ice cream. Technical dilemma, how do you get alcohol to freeze when it is in ice cream.

One flavor I like is called Panda Paws, vanilla ice cream with chunks of fudge and minature Reeses peanut butter cups in it.
y2flu
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 38
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 19:55:59 (permalink)
I'd like to see Ben N' Jerry's bring back their Peanut butter N' Jelly, or even better, I'd like to see a Black Forest Cake ice cream
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/26 20:09:59 (permalink)
I love Baskin Robbins, but they closed all of the BR ion South Bend-Mishawaka-Elkhart Indiana Area. "HERE COMES THE JUDGE" was my favorite!!

Anyone know if anybody makes a chocolate butter pecan ice cream?

Garry Asmus
garryd451@aol.com
Pokagon Michigan (about 15 miles from the Indiana-Michigan Stateline)
brookquarry
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 280
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/27 09:26:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RubyRose

quote:

quote:

Jofie and Snowy - I wish you lived here in PA. There is a dairy with attached store about 15 minutes from my house called Crystal Springs that makes their own ice cream for cones or takeout in delicious unexotic flavors and black raspberry is one of their best. It's a beautiful deep lavender color with no artificial colors to make it that way.

I lived here for almost 15 years before I discovered the place. They also sell flavored milks in their dairy case, made from their own berry syrup they make in the summer - strawberry and black raspberry in addition to chocolate

Ruby, can I assume this is the Crystal Springs, listed in the Allentown telephone book as in Scchnecksville? If so we will stop in next time we are traveling up 309.

Our favorite for black Raspberry is Premise Maid, a candy and Ice Cream shop located along Route 222, Southwest of Allentown Pa between Breingsville and Maxatawney. I beleive the Black Raspberry is seasonal, in the summer, and possibly early fall. Premise Maid has the best ice cream I've found in the Lehigh Valley. I really like their butter pecan (one of my standby flavors. They also have excellant chocolate and peanut butter flavors, including I believe, one with Tastykake candy cakes mixed in. (I'm holding out for a Butterscotch Krimpet Ice cream which I have yet to find)
cindyloo
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 123
RE: what ice cream flavor would you like to see? 2005/01/27 09:38:05 (permalink)
I'd be happy to see about ANY flavor of ice cream right now. Our local ice cream place, Newberry's, is closed for the winter. They're not very consistent on when they re-open, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Valentine's Day. : ) They make a killer caramel praline ice cream.

They put funny sayings on their sign sometimes -- my favorite is "I get the shakes when I can't get a malt."

Hee-hee....

Cindy
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1