Hot!what is your fav buffet place?

Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Author
Tex-Max
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 103
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/08 17:41:18 (permalink)
The buffet that stands out for me is the Seafood Buffet at Jackie's in Jonesville, LA on Friday or Saturday night.  I have never been disappointed.  This is about 30 minutes west of Natchez, MS.   I believe this place would classify as roadfood, locally owned, good food, buffet for seafood is reasonably priced. 
plb
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1037
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/08 18:04:44 (permalink)
Indian and other similar lunch buffets where I can taste small samples of things I would never dare to order as a whole main course.

Breakfast / brunch buffets.

Fake Japanese buffets.  Mostly owned by Chinese or Korans, like the chain Todai.  They are about the only places where we regularly eat sushi and sashimi.  The local one closest to us also has grilled Dungeness crab (which is way better than their snow crab or steamed Dungeness).  
Cosmos
  • Total Posts : 1453
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/10 22:02:35 (permalink)
SeamusD

Cosmos

I have on occasion attended special breakfast buffets...Mothers Day...etc..beyond that I avoid buffets like the plague. I prefer my food cooked to order and handled, oogled , or sneezed on by less than three people. We had a Big Country Buffet in a strip mall near our house (now a Super China Buffet). My wife and I decide maybe just once we'd give it a shot. We parked out front and watched a couple people struggling to squeeze through the door (and its not because the place was crowded) and decided we'd hit a diner instead.

The one in the Paradise plaza? I went to the Country buffet there once quite a while ago, I can't even remember who with, or what I had, I just remember not being very content with the whole affair, and I never went back. If I'm out on the Boulevard, I'm probably going to hit El Canelo or Tully's anyway, don't know why the heck I went there.
It was in Shop City about 18 years ago..

SeamusD
  • Total Posts : 1035
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/13 09:57:19 (permalink)
Cosmos

SeamusD

Cosmos

I have on occasion attended special breakfast buffets...Mothers Day...etc..beyond that I avoid buffets like the plague. I prefer my food cooked to order and handled, oogled , or sneezed on by less than three people. We had a Big Country Buffet in a strip mall near our house (now a Super China Buffet). My wife and I decide maybe just once we'd give it a shot. We parked out front and watched a couple people struggling to squeeze through the door (and its not because the place was crowded) and decided we'd hit a diner instead.

The one in the Paradise plaza? I went to the Country buffet there once quite a while ago, I can't even remember who with, or what I had, I just remember not being very content with the whole affair, and I never went back. If I'm out on the Boulevard, I'm probably going to hit El Canelo or Tully's anyway, don't know why the heck I went there.
It was in Shop City about 18 years ago..

Gotcha. The Country Buffet in what used to be Hechinger's Plaza (now Paradise) is now also a Chinese buffet.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/15 02:56:36 (permalink)
PLB,
  We used to enjoy the buffet at the TODAI in Orange County, SoCal (I think it was on Harbor Blvd some distance south of Disneyland.  The Sushi offerings were really a wide variety, and the hot foods seemed to be excellent. Lots of varietys of shrimp dishes.
remixedcat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/15 06:16:03 (permalink)
my god lots of OCBs got turned into chinese places!

same with shoney's there's more chinese places that are in former shoney's then shoney's left LOL
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/02/15 18:21:13 (permalink)
My feeling is that  Chinese Buffets are dreadful...........I have had to go with my granchildren on several occasions.  What is  Chinese  about cheap roast beef, pizza, soft ice cream, puddings, and so much of that other crap they serve?
the grillman
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 636
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/03/06 15:53:45 (permalink)
Another non-vote fpr Chinese buffets.  Ick.  I do enjoy the fresh cooked Mongolian bbqgrills, however.

We avoid the Golden Corral and Hometown buffet places like the plague.  I'd rather go to a Subway first...

I will admit that the buffet at the Moonlite in Owensboro is my all time favorite of the genre, though. 

Went on vacation last year on the way to Florida, and ate at a place called Sisters Restaurant, Troy, Alabama.  It was a good old fashioned country cooking type place; had a lunch buffet.  It was really good, kind of like a meat and three with refills, not unlike the Moonlite, just no mutton bbq....

MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4274
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/03/20 11:37:41 (permalink)
As I have gotten older (now 64) I have noticed that it takes a lot less food for me to maintain my "ideal" weight of 230.  After a "big" meal for me: a salad, 12 oz. ribeye, part of a baked potato, & asparagus I don't even want to "face" dessert.  So, my size 2 wife and I can't get our "money's worth" from buffets anymore.

A lot of locals here swear by The Grand Buffet - a Chinese buffet + Mongolian Grill that also serves Alaskan king crab legs on weekends:  http://grand-buffet-tx.ambz.com/ .  Went once for lunch with colleagues - decent and very clean.  The other Chinese buffets in town "lead the league" in health code violations.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13548
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/03/20 18:22:19 (permalink)
I guess this is somewhat shameful to admit but Mamaw Smith who will be 90 in a few weeks really enjoys me taking her to Ryan's.  They have a deal that for $4.99 you get their full buffet at lunch.

I have noticed Mamaw Smith doing this for sometime but she stuffs her purse with her favorite fried chicken with several pieces.  I know this is wrong and I have never said anything to management or her.  I guess she is trying to get by on a fixed income.  Regardless, she enjoys it.  Perhaps my ingestion of far less food makes up for her 90 year issue??  I do not know but I will continue to take her as long as she is able and if the management ever addresses it, I will gladly pay them double.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN  
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/03/21 15:42:50 (permalink)
I understand your situation.  This would be a wonderful way to hand it.  Tell the wait person or manager that you want to pay for a buffet container to go.  Pay the price and let your mother go up after she finishes her meal and load that container up.  I bet that she will get two meals out of it.  She will be  thrilled; you will be a good person; and the manager will be grateful.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/03/21 17:01:11 (permalink)
Greymo:  Great idea and I will not tell Mamaw Smith a thing about it.  I will just buy her a to go plate and pay for it up front.  I guess in her 90 year old mind, she justifies it due to it being a buffet but she sets a bad example for the grandsons and it embarrasses me.  She will never know I did it.  I thought about nicely reprimanded her but then again???

She does not hear well, cannot see well and I have to help her wherever I take her.  I sincerely hope that as I age, I will not do the same.  No guarantees though.  I am 70 and she is 90.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
preeti22
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/05/30 01:51:31 (permalink)
I always prefer souplantation while eating out :)
lynndunham
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/05/30 23:08:02 (permalink)
I love to go to Sweet Tomato's when we go to Phoenix. Up here in Prescott the only buffet that I am aware of is Golden Corral. I like it because the mashed potatoes taste real and so do most of the other items. Having had a gastric bypass, I enjoy being able to have just a small taste of a wide variety of items! Our Golden Corral is always clean and cheerful. I used to love steak houses with great Manhattans and filet mignons. Wish I still could, but then I wouldn't be as healthy (or happy) as I am now!
slaveforpizzaandsushi
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 58
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/06/13 16:33:45 (permalink)
i do not like buffets. the last time i was at one was a few years back. crab legs and shrimp galore. one family, hubby wife and adult son loaded up on all the crab legs, shrimp skewers whilst about twenty people stood around waiting. it was repulsive to look at people being so piggish and thoughtless. someone smacked the old guy in the hand with her plate..on purpose. 

okay..enough of that. i find buffets are pretty mediocre. i like the food as freshly prepared for me as possible. 
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 512
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/06/15 02:23:45 (permalink)
Home Town buffet has anything a person could possibly want.  
Each night something different is featured.  All one needs to do is try going on different nights until they find something they like.

iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 512
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2012/06/15 02:33:39 (permalink)
Home Town buffet gets my vote.  Soup Plantation comes in 2nd.
Lavando
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/20 12:29:01 (permalink)
kland01s

jajarino68

My highschool job was at a buffet restaurant called Duff's Smorgasbord. They have long since been out of business and to my knowledge, there is only one left in existence and it is located in Pigeon Forge TN. I guess they bought rights to the name.

I ate at that Duff's in Pigeon Forge probably 25 years ago. It had a stupid conveyor belt system that you grabbed food off as it went by. It was not my choice but my friends who wanted to "get stuffed at Duff's" I was happy they didn't want to go back there during or vacation.
I've actually never been in the Pigeon Forge location, but if it's what I am thinking, you are referring to the wheel or carousel. I actually thought that was a pretty good idea. It is the most non-intrusive way to keep food on the buffet and also allows patrons not to have to nudge each other oout of the way. The food comes to you. They also had a stationary area that we called the horseshoe. The food worker could fill the buffet from the backside while patrons moved around the shoe to fill their plates.

Little history about Duff's. The founder was a man named Homer Duff. After he sold out, he started another successful buffet named Stacy's. I think he bought up alot of the old Duff locations and put the Stacey's name on them.

I actually worked at a Duff's during high school at location in Norfolk, va. They were packed every weekend until the late 80's when they finally closed. Business went way down enough to have to close the doors. Near the end, ricky the roach and mickey mouse took over the resturant. During their hay day, it was good food at a low price. I also thought the moving wheel was a crafty way of getting your food without moving.

dews
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/21 11:42:37 (permalink)
Movenpic in Toronto. Sunday brunch buffet everything fresh and almost all of cooked to order
181 Bay Street
Toronto, ON M5J 2T3
Canada 
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/21 12:15:49 (permalink)
A couple of buffets are available besides the numerous Chinese buffets.  Ryan's and Golden Corral  are the only ones available and they are slightly above average.  In my opinion Ryan's is the best among the two offering some type of steak and more options available in the evening.  The variety is the best thing about the both.  Ryan's fried chicken is consistently above average.  I do not visit either on a regular basis but Mamaw Smith sure does enjoy Ryan's.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6347
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/21 13:01:36 (permalink)
On vacation in Florida, a few years ago, we ate at a Golden Corral.....barely edible....and dirty...Never tried another, One just opened near us in Freehold, but my past experience, I think, will keep us away....It's cheap,all right, but Mom always said you get what you pay for!!!
ChrisOC
  • Total Posts : 1035
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/21 13:15:56 (permalink)
Golden Corral is ok for breakfast.  Scrambled eggs (or cooked to order if you want to wait), grits, biscuits and gravy, and bacon, OJ and coffee.  Not much to mess up.
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15321
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/21 17:11:06 (permalink)
We don't do Gold Corral or the Chinese/Mongolian buffets unless  they are requested by visitors, and even then we prefer alternate choices. As I said in an earlier post we do enjoy the buffet at the Moonlite BBQ in Owensboro, KY, a longstanding tradition in both the RF and the BBQ World. One change in our use of it for me is the need for assistance as I require two hands to handle my walker, so Janet does the plate filling selections...Needless to say my days of "overfill" are long gone..However on the bright side I have managed to lose a considerable amount of weight in recent months.  We look forward to a visit to the Moonlite shortly.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7272
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/21 17:58:06 (permalink)
We don't do buffets but I think our favorite will be Moonlight BBQ after tomorrow night when we will have the pleasure of going there with Al and Janet!!! 
hatteras04
  • Total Posts : 1102
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/08/22 09:39:47 (permalink)
A long time ago I used to frequent one of the chinese buffets here in town.  I went there two days before some blood work.  When I got my results my triglycerides were in the 900s.  Normal is 150 or less.  They made me come back a week later and re-test and the results were around 180.  I have no idea what they are putting in that food but it is apparently pure fat.  That was enough for me to swear off of them forever. 

The only buffet I occasionally go to now is the pizza buffet at a local place called Iacono's. 
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/09/08 17:38:35 (permalink)
Brunch Buffets are big in my new town. Big Fish Grill has a nice one and Kaufmann's in Gambrills MD. It's the kind of buffet where they got the roast beef, ham and turkey slicer guy, and servers doing stations.

but, both places allow have their regular menus going as well, and, we often order off the menu - if standing in line is too much work!
dews
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:what is your fav buffet place? 2014/09/09 11:38:52 (permalink)
Movenpick in Downtown Toronto has THE best sunday bruch buffet ever. Everything made daily and most dished fresh to order.
Page: < 123 Showing page 3 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1