where are you guys buying your equipment?

Author
buk
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/09/30 01:33:13 (permalink)

where are you guys buying your equipment?

hello.

im sorry i dont mean to offend anyone or cause any problems... but i will come right out and say i do work for a restaurant supply company..

that said... i have some questions... im hoping some people would take some time to answer

im wondering where most of the owners/operators here are buying there new or used equipment

how do you check pricing? do you automatically go with the cheapest place you find or would you go with an established company knowing you will be taken care of? would you rather buy from someone who has lived and breathed the restaurant business 25 years and then went into retail side of things or from a business person out to make money

would you rather buy from someone with a physical location? or an online only presence where they have no showroom floor and just drop ship everything to you? (aka someone who interacts with the equipment daily or someone who has never even seen the equipment other than on a spec sheet)

i was reading some threads about bad expieriences with companies saying oh yeah ok agreeing to whatever you say till they get your money come to find out down the line that the stuff you purchased wont work..

generally how do you feel about recent new equipment purchases you made? were you happy? did you feel ripped off? was everything as described?

what about used vs new equipment?
new equipment usually has 2 year manufacturer warranty
vs used/tested equipment that has 90 day max..
but the used equipment is usually 30-40% cheaper than new... and holds its value well...

and when i mean equipment i mean everything from spoons to plates.. entire kitchens from grease traps to exhaust hoods.. food warmers/chillers to freezers and everything in between

thank you for your time and again im hoping this thread will not offend anyone but if moderators dont like it feel free to take it down.

9 Replies Related Threads

JodyP
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 322
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/09/30 06:58:51 (permalink)
    We buy all of our small wares from local restaurant supply stores.  We purchased our slicer and sandwich press from Web Restaurant Supply. Both items were in stock and shipped the next day. I have found that there are generally some good buys on used refrigeration and some cooking apparatus. Some items like used Star Manufacturing I stay away from because if you need any replacement parts they will seriously burn you. I purchased a used Star Classic hot dog steamer and order new covers for it. The covers alone cost me what a decent Chinese knock off cost. Actually the new covers almost cost me what a new Star Unit would have. I also base my decision on what to purchase by how we use it. Nothing we purchased is used 24/7, with the exception of doing festivals most of the time the cooking unit is only operated a few hours a day, a few days a week. I can’t justify purchasing high dollar units for part time operation. Disposables generally come from Restaurant Depot. Living in Metro Atlanta I have many options on where to buy and what to pay. I would have purchased my sandwich press locally but when I decided to buy I could not find one locally and I would not buy the used Star units I did find.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/09/30 16:34:51 (permalink)
    I got some from Webstaurantstore.com, some from a local used equipment dealer, and some through a few of our food suppliers. It depended on the price level of the item, shipping logistics, price comparison, and what else we needed to order at the time. We did lots of homework before ordering the big items though.
    post edited by Chicnscoop - 2011/09/30 16:35:54
    Buck & Vi's
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/09/30 19:02:05 (permalink)
    I buy from where ever I can find the product I want for the cheapest price.. for instance.. I bought my slicer from a local shop owner that went out of bizz 12 " hobart (yes oldie but goodie) 75 bucks... my coffee maker I got from a customer that works on them, bunn 2 burner with a side 2 burner for 60 bucks, sweet  tea urn 10 bucks, etc etc. I did get a new panini press from webresturant but it was bought by someone else. personally as far buying from someone it wouldn't make a difference to me if the guy had 25 years in the business or what ever. if I want to know anything about them I'll ask someone who knows that ain't going to charge me anyway. 
    agmccall
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 239
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/09/30 19:57:51 (permalink)
    craigslist always has restaurant equipment and auctions from places going out of business.  At least in my area

and i always stop by the local restaurant supply store to see what they have used, they always have something that interests me

al
    youngrestaurantowner
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/10/28 15:29:25 (permalink)
    I have purchased my equipment from Lonestar supply in Dallas. They had some great specials and prices were alot lower than everywhere we went. Craigslist has been a good place as well
    BackAlleyBurger
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1077
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/10/30 06:47:55 (permalink)
    ive done a lot of looking on Clist, and used on ebay........ im pretty disenchanted with the prospect of using someones elses 20 y/o used up appliances.... mainly from the precleaning/refurbing aspect..... cause when i start off, everything is going to be as clean as brand new....

i found "hoddell" on ebay, a supplier out of Florida on ebay that gives free shipping on new equipment.... and sammi at "tammirson" from web searches, also in florida......
    both of these guys are 50-60% of what everyone else is for the exact same equipment
    example.... deep fryer (tsmg-25c) 1400-1800 everywhere.... but sammi has 6 of them, brand new drop shipped from manufacturer for 750 bucks 
    THE WILD DOG
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/10/30 12:50:18 (permalink)
    i buy from auctions. it's a gamble but i tend to plug in a unit that i'm looking at before i bid on it to see if it works. Most ppl don't mind, but I have saved thousands of dollars buying from auctions
    adrain0007
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/10/31 12:38:29 (permalink)
    I bought my ice shaver from ACityDiscount a few months back. The customer service there exceptional as they also had a used hot dog roller grill that I also purchased.

I generally go to craig's list and eBay for items they are still good values being used such as a can opener or lettuce chopper. Only drag is when buying on eBay and craig's list is the lack of customer service but that's just the price you must pay for a deal these days. I try to stay away from certain foreign products that are dirt cheap on eBay as I bought an equipment piece that fell apart on me within a few days.
    MaggieMouCO
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:where are you guys buying your equipment? 2011/11/07 17:19:11 (permalink)
    I've found a large selection of restaurant supplies on FoodServiceWarehouse.com. Fantastic deals and top-notch customer service. They only sell new equipment though. I think they have free shipping right now. Best deals for used equipment can be found on Craigslist and Ebay, but buyer beware.
    post edited by MaggieMouCO - 2011/11/07 17:20:56
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1