where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
RibDog
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 593
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2004/12/05 22:22:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by imnjupiter

I'm in Palm Beach County. I shouldn't have spoken for all of Florida. If I'm ever over that way, I'll have to try one there.

No problem. I just wanted everyone to know that Florida is not totally deprived of some good foods. But, then again, FL is a big state.

Email me if you come over this way. I will join you for a sandwich.

John
drew
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2004/12/05 23:06:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RSMBob

Attention SoCal'ers...there is hope.
About 18 months ago, a really great Chicago place, GIorgio's in Laguna Niguel, shut its doors despite a full page glowing review in the LA Times. There are 4 places I know of where you can still get the real thing, though I've only been to one of them and 3 of them are a ways out there...

Taste Chicago in Burbank...recently opened and owned by Chicagoans Joe and Arlene Mantegna (Joe stars in Joan of Arcadia). Hollywood Way and Verdugo. I'm actually going there for dinner tomorrow night for my first visit.

Anthony's Chicago Style in Redlands...supposed to be good...there is a review on www.letsdineout.com

WIndy C's Chicago Hot Dogs in Upland...I was looking forward to trying this place and have recommended it to others, but I got a nasty nasty note from the owner/manager who thought I had given it a bad review. Apparently he meant to send it to the person who replied to my note recommending it. Still, leaves a disappointing taste in my mouth and I'm less excited about venturing out there than I once was.

Taste of Chicago in Grover Beach...Grover Beach? Um, way up the 101 past Santa Maria, near Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, etc. Happened to do a drive by the place on the way home last summer and got a beef to go not thinking it would be much. I started eating it about 30 miles later and I was almost tempted to go back. Good stuff!

2 other places I know of but I don't know if they have it or not. Ruben's in Encino/Sherman Oaks (Sepulveda and Ventura Blvd) is a Chicago-type place; also Mustard's in Los Alamitos has some good Chicago-style sandwiches and decor, but I didn't think the italian beef was all that great.

Hope the info helps...
Bob in RSM

I just moved to the LA area and just found this thread looking for a good beef sandwich. Anyway, I just got back from Rubin's, and they don't have beef sandwiches on the menu. The closest thing they have is what they call a Windy City Cheesteak. It's a sliced steak with grilled onions and swiss cheese. I've lived in Chicago all my life, and never saw such a sandwich...go figure (although it seems like a sandwich I'd enjoy...patty melt meets Philly cheesesteak).

Anyway, they did the hot dogs the right way. It is a kosher-style all-beef hot dog, so it's a good dog, but it wasn't a Vienna beef dog, which is probably why they don't have the rest of the Vienna beef spread, such as beef sandwiches.

Oh well, next weekend I'll have to try Taste Chicago in Burbank. That seems to hold a lot of promise. It'd be great if there was a place with pizza puffs on the menu, as well.

Drew
RSMBob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2004/12/15 16:14:15 (permalink)
Drew,

Welcome to SoCal.
Just to update my post that you referenced, Taste of Chicago up in Grover Beach is now closed, and in case you haven't heard, Portillo's is set to open its first SoCal outlet somewhere next year.
Bob
drew
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2004/12/15 23:50:30 (permalink)
quote:

Drew,

Welcome to SoCal.
Just to update my post that you referenced, Taste of Chicago up in Grover Beach is now closed, and in case you haven't heard, Portillo's is set to open its first SoCal outlet somewhere next year.
Bob

Thanks. Portillo's is good stuff...I'll look forward to that. I've gone to Taste Chicago in Burbank. I enjoyed their beef sandwich...it was *almost* the same as a Vienna beef sandwich, but is their own recipe as they advertise. The bread seemed the same, and was soaked with the au jus just like I like, but it had a sweeter, tangier flavor to it than I'm used to. Definitely a place I'd stop at when I'm in the neighborhood.

Drew
sugarlander
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 254
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/01/04 14:03:16 (permalink)

kholzauer:

We had your Italian beef for New Years Day dinner and it was great. Thanks a lot.
gizmond90
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/01/15 09:24:07 (permalink)
The Best Italian Beef I have had is in the western suburbs. In Geneva, it is called Munchie P's. If anyone know of any close to Geneva please let me know.
lampwick773
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/02/06 20:03:44 (permalink)
In Chicagoland... Johnny's Beef. North & Harlem (it's either River Forest or River Grove... dunno for sure, cuz I live in Bridgeport). Yea, I think that the success has started to get to their heads (they've won Chicago's Best Beef too many times), the beef by itself isin my opinion tops, but there is no argument to be made for a better combo in town... well, sorta in town. They use real coals to grill the sausage.

If you live outside the 773, 847, 708, 815, or 312... I'd recommend (unless you want to try one of those recipes) having someone in Chicago (you have family here, right?) buy a catering size portion, freeze it solid or pack it in dry ice, and send it next day UPS.

Scala's ought to just sell it via mailorder online.
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/02/07 09:21:07 (permalink)
I've long been a fan of Portillo's in the Chicago area (my local is in Batavia, Il.) however of late I have found them greasy and the price is getting a little out of line. Friday I had the best Italian Beef that I have ever had at a little strip mall place called Chicago Char House in downtown Batavia. The beef was lean and tender, no fatty stingy stuff you get in some places. I asked for it with a double order of hots and extra wet and I got it! It was a wonderful mess! The juice was a rich brown gravy, not greasy at all and it soaked up the bread and the fries with a wonderful taste. The fries were average but the gravy helped. For a little place, they have an ambitious menu.

Chicago Char House
32 West Island Ave.
Batavia, Il
630-482-2204
downtown by the City Hall and just off the Fox River bike trail
karencooks1
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/03/12 15:35:54 (permalink)
I found this recipe on Recipezaar. The reviews for it were awesome.
I will also include a link to the recipe/reviews...http://www.recipezaar.com/30484
Chicago Italian Beef #30484

You'll be sorry you didn't grow up in Chicago, and eat one of those wonderful beef sandwiches from Carm's. This tastes identical. This wonderful recipe came from my sister Linda knowing how homesick I am for Chicago food. Start cooking 18 hours before you want to eat.

5 lbs rump roast (do not substitute for a different type roast)
2 cans beef consomme (Broth)
1 package good seasons italian seasoning
1/2-1 jar pepperoncini peppers (depending on level of spiciness)
1/2-1 jar giardineira
3-5 sweet green peppers (according to size)
1 loaf long thin French bread

1. Cook first 5 ingredients in a Crockpot on LOW for 18 (eighteen) hrs.
2. Turn over at the 6th and 12th hour interval.
3. At the 17th hour cut sweet green peppers into 1/8 ths lengthwise and cook in water on low heat until soft.
4. Cut bread into 6 inch lengths and slice on the side lengthwise.
5. Pull roast apart with a fork, and using tongs, pile bread with meat and juice.
6. (Do not let juice drain before putting on bread. The juice is half the taste of the sandwich.) Lay strips of green pepper on top of the meat.
7. Salt to taste.
8. OPEN WIDE and enjoy the most wonderful taste sensation.
9. May be frozen when cooked.
ChiSoCal
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/03/14 15:18:18 (permalink)
I just found a great italian beef sandwich at a place called Buster's in San Diego, husband and wife from Chicago opened about a year ago. I went Friday for Chicago Hot Dog yumm!! and Saturday for the Italian Beef, Best I have had outside of Chicago!!!
Unforunitaly I am now moving to Orange County, need to find a good place up North or make the trip south.

Buster's is located off the 805 Fwy and Mira Mesa Rd in San Diego loacated in a strip mall on the Northeast Corner. They are closed Saturday and Sundays.
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/03/14 16:29:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by karencooks1

I found this recipe on Recipezaar. The reviews for it were awesome.
I will also include a link to the recipe/reviews...http://www.recipezaar.com/30484

Chicago Italian Beef #30484 . . .

1/2-1 jar giardineira

A question, Karen: What kind of giardiniera do you use? The Chicago kind, which usually is more like a hottish relish and contains oil as well as vinegar, or the kind found in supermarkets nationwide which contains large chunks of vegetables and no oil? I would think picking the right kind of giardiniera could make a big difference to the recipe. Also, the size of the jar--the Chicago stuff usually comes in smaller jars from what I've seen.
chicago chick
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/03/19 19:01:31 (permalink)
[font=LucLooking for a true Chicago Style Italian Beef sandwich in Tulsa Oklahoma! Ya, can you believe it Tulsa. A little family from Chicago has opened a wonderful little restaurant in Broken Arrow called Palombo's Italian Beef! Just like home!!!
They even bring the Gonnella bread down from Chicago and even serve Vienna Beef hot dogs - the way they should be served - all the right toppings! They are at 71st and 161st streets in Broken Arrow. Their phone number is 918-258-6565. You've gotta try 'em. A true chicago delight.
Vital Information
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 30
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/03/21 10:01:25 (permalink)
On LTHForum.com, there's been some recent discussion of Italian beef. See here:http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2485&highlight= and here: http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=2931&highlight=italian

I've put my round-up on my blog:http://vitalinformation.blogspot.com/2005_03_20_vitalinformation_archive.html#111141697558911791

Rob
chicagos best
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/03 18:01:46 (permalink)
quote:

Attention SoCal'ers...there is hope.
About 18 months ago, a really great Chicago place, GIorgio's in Laguna Niguel, shut its doors despite a full page glowing review in the LA Times. There are 4 places I know of where you can still get the real thing, though I've only been to one of them and 3 of them are a ways out there...

Taste Chicago in Burbank...recently opened and owned by Chicagoans Joe and Arlene Mantegna (Joe stars in Joan of Arcadia). Hollywood Way and Verdugo. I'm actually going there for dinner tomorrow night for my first visit.

Anthony's Chicago Style in Redlands...supposed to be good...there is a review on www.letsdineout.com

WIndy C's Chicago Hot Dogs in Upland...I was looking forward to trying this place and have recommended it to others, but I got a nasty nasty note from the owner/manager who thought I had given it a bad review. Apparently he meant to send it to the person who replied to my note recommending it. Still, leaves a disappointing taste in my mouth and I'm less excited about venturing out there than I once was.

Taste of Chicago in Grover Beach...Grover Beach? Um, way up the 101 past Santa Maria, near Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, etc. Happened to do a drive by the place on the way home last summer and got a beef to go not thinking it would be much. I started eating it about 30 miles later and I was almost tempted to go back. Good stuff!

2 other places I know of but I don't know if they have it or not. Ruben's in Encino/Sherman Oaks (Sepulveda and Ventura Blvd) is a Chicago-type place; also Mustard's in Los Alamitos has some good Chicago-style sandwiches and decor, but I didn't think the italian beef was all that great.

Hope the info helps...
Bob in RSM
chicagos best
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/03 18:08:48 (permalink)
Chicago's Best will be open in mid April. Located at 2540 Main Street, Irvine CA. Hope to see RSM Bob there. Yes you be able to get the Homemade Italian Beef, Italian Sausage, and Vienna Hot Dogs with the hand cut fries.
hefried
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 367
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/03 20:20:39 (permalink)
and if you're in Portland.....

http://www.michaelsitalianbeef.com

I took my 6 year old son and 2 year old daughter to eat here today. I had been before and remembered that it was good.

I had the italain beef sandwich with hot and mild peppers. it was FANTASTIC. the kids had some really good& crispy fries and big fat kosher hotdogs.
The nice owner , Michael gave then ice cream.
The restaurant has red naugaghyde twisty stools all around a big counter and little tables and booths. Alot of takeout orders going out. It was full of all sorts of folks eating lunch, but we were the only kids.....
A nice crew.One guy came out from the kitchen to give my kids crayons and paper, and said he'd hang the pictures up for them!

I'd recommend this a a great place for roadfood if you're ever on Burnside street in Portland!
readjl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/12 16:28:04 (permalink)
RE: chicago italian beefs

1) The beef MUST BE SHAVED thin. The thinner the better. For all the home recipes for out-of-towners, one has to have access to a slicer. I bought a $99 Krups slicer, and it's fair to poor. But if you only use it 3-4 times a year I guess it's OK, it does a fair job. But the beef has to be shaven thin as possible. I'd like to pick up a used Hobart sometime.

2) Rumor has it that the Chicago Italian Beef was invented by an Italian chef who wanted to spice up a French Dip, so he added garlic and oregano to the aujus.

3) imho, the ONLY giardinere worth using is Scala's.

4) At Scala's beef on Orleans, they told me that the cut they use is "Sirloin Butt". You can buy it there, but only in a 15 lb. minimum. I have never done it. But I had previously thought the Italian Beef cut was closer to a Top Round (which is standard for deli roast beef). I don't know what Sirloin Butt looks like, but that's the cut, they said.

5) I have used a Bottom Round roast, and it works, and slices well. Italian Beef is easy to make at home, for out of towners, but you need a slicer.

6) I believe all Italian Beef is wet-roasted to medium or medium-rare, not dry/oven roasted like deli roast beef. Otherwise where would you get the juice?
lisam
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 8
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/15 10:53:25 (permalink)
There is a place in San Diego, CA called Chicago on a Bun and it is FABULOUS! Their Italian Beefs and Sausage and Combos are as best as you can get without getting on a plane to Chicago. They are family owned and operated and it's so much fun seeing all the Chicago stuff on their walls! Their hot dogs are Vienna Beef and they are the real deal. Check them out if you are in San Diego - I highly recommend them.
SnakeII
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/28 09:06:27 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by RibDog

quote:
Originally posted by imnjupiter

I'm in Palm Beach County. I shouldn't have spoken for all of Florida. If I'm ever over that way, I'll have to try one there.

No problem. I just wanted everyone to know that Florida is not totally deprived of some good foods. But, then again, FL is a big state.

Email me if you come over this way. I will join you for a sandwich.

John

Hello, my fellow Italian Beef Sandwich loving Floridians! My local source (the Chicago Hot Dog Co. in Longwood, FL) is now closed. So sad For some time, Hot Dog Heaven on Hwy50 in Orlando would make them, get this, one day a month!

To get my sustenance, I fly to Chicago at least once or twice per month. While there, nothing beats Teddy's Red Hots in Darien (Plainfield Rd & 75th).

Back home in Orlando, I will occasionally drive 2 hours down to Vero Beach to the Chicago Connection on Westbound Hwy60 (downtown, North side of the road, across from the Social Security Admin building). They have new owners as of 1Feb05 and could use some helpful advice from us critics.
4squirl
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/04/28 12:07:29 (permalink)
I ate at Chicago's Best in Irvine and though it's a 25 mile drive
I will return.Thy frys were fresh cut an not to greasy and the beef was good. I would prefer a little more bite in the gravy.
chitownjohnny
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/05/08 18:41:13 (permalink)
Pusateri's Chicago Pizza in Stuart FL
Opened up in Jan 05 and has the best thin crust pizza in the state,
as well as the best Itlalian Beefs with Hot giardiniera or Sweet
Peppers, also Vienna Hot Dogs. They are all about Chicago and ship it
all in. Best Sausage too, shipped in also.
deltaxi13
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/05/10 14:35:58 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by ChitownMarine

By the way here is the phone number to Mustard's 562-427-6435. Let me correct my last sentence on my first post. I meant to say that the owners call me James Bond. Sorry for the poor grammar; I was happy to share the info about a beef house in So. California.

The place is awesome, just like home!!!
chitownjohnny
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/05/13 08:00:22 (permalink)
Pusateri's thin CHICAGO Pizza
221 E. Ocean Blvd.
Stuart, FL
SnakeII
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/05/13 10:58:03 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by chitownjohnny

Pusateri's Chicago Pizza in Stuart FL
Opened up in Jan 05 and has the best thin crust pizza in the state,
as well as the best Itlalian Beefs with Hot giardiniera or Sweet
Peppers, also Vienna Hot Dogs. They are all about Chicago and ship it
all in. Best Sausage too, shipped in also.

Thanks for the info! I will drive down & try them out this weekend. I'll post my findings afterwards. Personally, any Italian Beef sandwich is better than none at all!
swillard
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/05/22 22:41:05 (permalink)
There is a place in Columbus called Wholly Joe's Chicago Eatery and they have a GREAT italian beef sandwich. The website is www.whollyjoes.com , they are also known for the good pizza and supposedly have one of the best chocolate cakes in town.

This is a locally owned restaurant that needs to expand!!
stricken_detective
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2330
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/06/07 03:57:46 (permalink)

In Milwaukee, go downtown to Joey Buona's for Italian Beef, they truck it in from Chicago. While you're there, get the Italian Nachos. Joey's also has free pizza @ their Happy Hour, which is from 4-6 @ their bar. They serve Peroni w/o looking at me funny.

I'm going to change this recipe til it looks like mine:

Stricken_Detective Italian Beef

5 lbs rump roast (do not substitute for a different type roast)
2 cans beef consomme (Broth)
2 packages good seasons italian seasoning

1/2-1 jar pepperoncini peppers (depending on level of spiciness)
1/2-1 jar giardiniera--you want the hot (or mild) relish-looking stuff, not the vegetable mixture
3-5 sweet green peppers (according to size)
1 loaf long thin French bread, cut into 6 inch chunks, then halved or hard rolls

1. Place meat in slow cooker, add broth.
Sprinkle dressing packets over meat. Cook on low for
12-15 hours or longer. (To speed up cooking time, turn
slow cooker onto 3-5, reduce time by about half.) The meat will be floating. This is fine.
2. Take out & shred w/2 forks; return meat to pan.
3. When you are about 20 min away from serving, cut green peppers into strips & saute in some of the broth in a nonstick frying pan. Keep them separate, not everyone likes peppers.
4. Serve on the bread, let everyone make their own.
5. If you so desire, when everyone is done making their sandwiches, dip a bun in the broth, let it soak it up. These are called Soakies, and can be done any time you have meat drippings in a pan. We used to get them all the time @ Fon Tan Blu in Kenosha, WI. That place is long gone, which bites, they had the BEST food.

We've had these sammiches w/provolone, smoked provolone, mozzarealla & smoked mozzarella, but some people would turn their noses up at cheese on one of these.
Beef Gal
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/06/23 09:25:16 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lampwick773

In Chicagoland... Johnny's Beef. North & Harlem (it's either River Forest or River Grove... dunno for sure, cuz I live in Bridgeport). Yea, I think that the success has started to get to their heads (they've won Chicago's Best Beef too many times), the beef by itself isin my opinion tops, but there is no argument to be made for a better combo in town... well, sorta in town. They use real coals to grill the sausage.

If you live outside the 773, 847, 708, 815, or 312... I'd recommend (unless you want to try one of those recipes) having someone in Chicago (you have family here, right?) buy a catering size portion, freeze it solid or pack it in dry ice, and send it next day UPS.

Beef Gal
Junior Burger
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/06/23 09:29:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by lampwick773

Actually, We do!!!! I work at Scala's and you can order it buy phone right now. ( our online store isnt quite up and running yet ) but if you call us we will be happy to send you anything we sell. Beef, Giardinerria, Italian Sausage ect. Beef Gal in Chicago
Antony_DiGiovanni
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/07/02 14:26:18 (permalink)
Hey, I'm over by dare on Long Island now and I'm looking for an EYE-talian beef. Any suggestions short of hopping a flight or ordering a frozen package?
fastfood
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 82
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2005/07/12 01:49:45 (permalink)
Arby's used to have them,now I don't know where to get them.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1