Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 114
signman

• Total Posts: 1743
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Tue, 07/12/05 1:15 PM (permalink)
Hey fastfood, If you had any idea what this site is about you could learn quite a bit and find lots of places that serve Italian Beef. Instead you have posted 17 times today, and not one of those posts has contributed anything. Find the Arby's website and post there.

fastfood

• Total Posts: 82
    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 07/13/05 2:13 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Hey fastfood, If you had any idea what this site is about you could learn quite a bit and find lots of places that serve Italian Beef. Instead you have posted 17 times today, and not one of those posts has contributed anything. Find the Arby's website and post there.

Hey I am doing you guys a public service to inform you of our great food.Arby's doesnt have fourums unfortunately.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 07/13/05 7:54 AM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by fastfood

quote:
      Originally posted by signman

Hey I am doing you guys a public service to inform you of our great food.Arby's doesnt have fourums unfortunately.

well then why dont you do us all a favoe and syart fastfood.com, im sure there are folks who will join you there

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
        RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 07/13/05 8:48 AM (permalink)
        quote:
        Originally posted by tiki

well then why dont you do us all a favoe and syart fastfood.com, im sure there are folks who will join you there

Nahh...all the people here who would/should join him over there will just say that we are trampling on their god-given right to post about Arby's in the "Where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH" thread.

slackademic

• Total Posts: 51
          RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 08/10/05 3:05 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by lisam

There is a place in San Diego, CA called Chicago on a Bun and it is FABULOUS! Their Italian Beefs and Sausage and Combos are as best as you can get without getting on a plane to Chicago. They are family owned and operated and it's so much fun seeing all the Chicago stuff on their walls! Their hot dogs are Vienna Beef and they are the real deal. Check them out if you are in San Diego - I highly recommend them.

I'm new to San Diego and found Buster's by accident. It is pretty good. Lefty's in North Park (30th St, one block north of Upas) also is known for great beef's and great deep dish. I haven't been there yet myself, even though it is only five blocks from my house!

slackademic

• Total Posts: 51
            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 10/22/05 11:18 PM (permalink)
            I have now managed to try Lefty's beef in North Park in San Diego. The beef isn't the tastiest by Chicago standards, but considering that it is one of the few places in San Diego that tries it isn't bad. The beef is marinated with the typical beef spices, but it is relatively weak with flavor. Their combo's, on the other hand, are pretty good. They use Fontanino or Fontinella sausage from Chicago and it hits the spot. It is very tasty, full of spices. If you can handle the close to $7 price tag, it is a great option.

If you are in North Park, stop by at 30th and Myrtle to give one a try. Just keep in mind that you aren't in Chicago, and you should be OK.

lisam

• Total Posts: 8
              RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 10/22/05 11:25 PM (permalink)
              I just had a birthday party for my dad and ordered Italian Beef, Gonnella Rolls, Sweet Peppers and Giardinara from Chicago on a Bun in bulk. I didn't know how it was going to be but everyone at the party loved it and I will definitely do that again for a large group of people. Everyone had so much fun and since most of us were originally from Chicago, it was a great treat. They are located in the Golden Triangle area of San Diego and it's one of my favorite places.

pkb620

• Total Posts: 2
                RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 11/14/05 10:40 PM (permalink)
                PORTILLOS IS NOW OPEN IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA!
                8390 La Palma Ave
                Buena Park, California

phatphil

• Total Posts: 668
                  RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 11/20/05 9:37 PM (permalink)
                  hey there is great chicago italian beef places here in south florida, few but 3 real ones with chicago pure blood at the helm

loboheeler

• Total Posts: 4
                    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 12/23/05 10:01 AM (permalink)
                    Yes, there are LOTS of small places where you can get Italian Beef in Chicagoland. Many of these do not cook their own beef, but buy the prepared roasts from distributors. That does not make them bad, just consistant. I had one owner tell me that the spices for the seasoning that comes with the commercial roasts is none other than common pickling spice! It does seem to give the authentic flavor.

I crave this food after living there for three years, and I have tried it at home in other locations. Just get some good cooked roast beef sliced very thin at any Deli counter, soak it in beef broth with the spice overnight before heating, and heap large amounts on a good Italian roll with sauce to please. Do not cook the meat at high heat, just warm it up so that it stays tender.

If you are ever in Albuquerque, there is a place called "Sweet Peppers" just off Central (Route 66) in downtown that is authentic. Run by a guy from Chicago.

pkb620

• Total Posts: 2
                      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 01/20/06 8:03 PM (permalink)
                      Hey loboheeler do you happen to have the address of Sweet Peppers? I can't find them listed anywhere. I'm off to Albuquerque to see my MIL and thought it would be cool to take her for some authentic Italian Beef!

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3219
                        RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 02/13/06 7:13 PM (permalink)
                        Sweet Peppers is no more. It was replaced by Howley's Place a few months ago.

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
                          RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 02/18/06 12:40 PM (permalink)
                          In Dunedin,Florida near Tampa......Hott Dogg Heaven Corner of Tampa Road & Hwy 19 behind the big Shell station, sits a walk-up hotdog stand. They serve a GREAT Italian Beef Sandwich with any Chicago Condiment you can name.
                          It will fill you up for under Six Bucks. You will not be disappointed.

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
                            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 02/18/06 12:47 PM (permalink)
                            They also just started serving the combo.
                            Beef With Sausage. All his product comes in from Chicago except the
                            rolls, they are from a local bakery

digger

• Total Posts: 15
                              RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 02/18/06 2:48 PM (permalink)
                              Poppa's Hot Dogs Mooresville,NC. authentic Chicago style food including Hot Dogs, Italian beef, Sausage & combo

The owner is originally from Alsip,IL. Poppa's is ;located in a strip mall across River Rd. from Lakeside Industrial Park where several NASCAR teams are located. Many crew members and an occaisional driver or two frequent this place.

• Total Posts: 335
                                RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 02/20/06 6:39 PM (permalink)
                                Yesterday on a trip in west central Indiana I happened to find a hidden treasure west of downtown Crawfordsville called Chicago Joe's at 125 West Market St./US 136 across from the Walgreens pharmacy. (It was called Alice's Restaurant, just like the Arlo Guthrie song, in the mid-late 1980s and something else afterwards, which I can't remember.) Outside they advertised selling Vienna Beef hot dogs, and inside I learned I did not have to travel to the Windy City for an Italian beef sandwich! The only possible drawback is that it is in a diner car and there is seating for only about ten people. It has only been in operation since January 13, so there is nothing I have found of it on the Internet.

Cirezepol

• Total Posts: 1
                                  RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Thu, 02/23/06 4:19 PM (permalink)
                                  Windy C's Chicago Hot Dogs in Upland...I was looking forward to trying this place and have recommended it to others, but I got a nasty nasty note from the owner/manager who thought I had given it a bad review. Apparently he meant to send it to the person who replied to my note recommending it. Still, leaves a disappointing taste in my mouth and I'm less excited about venturing out there than I once was.

I definitely had to post a reply to any mention of this place that I see. I am from Chicago and was super excited to go to this place. Once I got there I asked the owner if it was his spot, he replied "yes", then I made the horrible mistake of asking him where he was from, he said "Chicago" & I said "I know that, what part", to this he replied, "I have been here 7 years and that question is getting old, so I don't do that anymore." Well, this was my first time there and my last. He went on to tell me that I had no right to ask him about his personal business. I didn't know that it was wrong to ask a man that has based his living and his establishment on the great city of Chicago, which part he was from. A simple answer of "South side or 87th & Stony" would have made me a customer for life, instead, I will never step foot back in that place, not even for my change which I left on his counter because he was to rude to hand it to me.

Mello Yello

• Total Posts: 6
                                    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 1:34 AM (permalink)
                                    The owner of Windy C's in Upland, CA sounds like a total jerk. I wonder if this has anything to do with the success of the business? I wonder if he is really from Chicago because I had an experience their a couple years ago. The food was not close to a Chicago dining experience.

I am from Chicago living in Northern California. I have been aching for a place in California that serves Italian Beef for the last 17 years. I've shared my culinary experiences with friends in LA and we were looking forward to trying a place that claims to be authentic Chicago style food. I found Windy C's website and in May 2004 planned a trip there from Anaheim (Disneyland). I was pumped for a big juicy Italian Beef.

Was I dissapointed. Typical Chicago beef is 1/3 to 1/2 pound of beef per sandwich. They are two-fisted sandwiches with alot of bite, very satisfying! This sandwich was on a diet, maybe had 1/8 to 1/4 pound of beef that was dry and tasteless. When the condiments overtake the flavor of the sandwich, it's a skimpy sandwich. A couple beefs, four hotdogs, with fries, drinks, for 4 adults cost me about $30-$35 (in Chicago, under $20). The cost did not bother me as much as the quality and value of the food. I felt ripped off and dissapointed with the experience especially with friends whom were trying Chicago food for the first time. I did not have any sense of wanting to visit this place again.

By the way, I do recall having a brief conversation and got the sense he was short tempered.

Mello Yello

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 1:36 AM (permalink)
                                      I am very interested in knowing if Portillo's in Buena Park is a success. How well is it being received by the neighborhood.

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                                        RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 1:59 AM (permalink)
                                        Call Joe Montegna, he has a favorite Italian Beef sandwich spot in Chicago he will take you to.
                                        Tell his people I sent you.

RSMBob

• Total Posts: 21
                                          RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                          Cirezpol and Mello,

I was the person who wrote that note about Windy C's...a real shame it had to be that way. I and so many others will go ou of our way to get to a special place...now I can't even see stopping in there if I was in the area.

As far as Italian Beef in SoCal, there are now some great options. Most well known is Taste Chicago in Burbank, owned and run by actor Joe Mantegna's wife, Arlene. Living in Orange Cty, I have only been there twice. It's a great "Chicago" place, but prices are high and the food a bit disappointing. Still, I will go back some time.

Portillo's opened last fall and is a huge hit. Several months later, on a recent off-hours visit, it was still packed. A clone of the Chicago area locations...a bit smaller seating-wise, some outdoor seating (take that Chicago!), and prices 15-20% higher than IL locations. They do most all their food very well there, especially for a chain. There WILL be more Portillo's in SoCal in the next 2-3 years.

Best IB and sausage as well goes to a small food court place in Irvine called Chicago's Best. Opened last year by the son of a guy who a great place here a few years before, they do it up right. Homemade italian beef, great sausage and hot dogs, and they'll talk Chicago and neighborhoods all day long. The places deserves support. Oh jeez, now I'm hungry!

stevencarry

• Total Posts: 359
                                            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 3:16 PM (permalink)
                                            Hey Mello, on the way to Tahoe I have seen a few "Jimboy's Tacos"
                                            Should I stop next time? Do they offer anything different?

Mello Yello

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 4:14 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by stevencarry

Hey Mello, on the way to Tahoe I have seen a few "Jimboy's Tacos"
                                              Should I stop next time? Do they offer anything different?

Mexican food is okay, not one of my favorites. Been to Jimboy's twice in the last 4 years. I prefer Del Taco or Taco Bell. I thought the Jimboy's tacos were skimpy (thin) and more greasy then the other places.

Mello Yello

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 03/1/06 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                                Thanks for the So. Cal tips. Next time I am in the area will definitely try Chicago's Best and of course, Portillo's.

Is there any way to get a sense as to how favorable native Californians think of these Chicago food eatery's? Or is it just the locals that frequent these places? Do you think this type of food will catch-on on the west coast like McDonald's, KFC, Taco Bell, etc...?

kenell1

• Total Posts: 1
                                                  RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 03/5/06 2:18 PM (permalink)

Originally posted by Cirezepol

I am from Chicago and was super excited to go to this place......A simple answer of "South side or 87th & Stony".......

I came across your message while looking for a source of authentic Italian beef for my brother in law in Kansas City, MO. Noticed your mention of Chicago's South Side and was curious whether I knew you....I was born and raised at 86th & Blackstone, attended Caldwell & Hirsch HS ('56 grad)and my parents lived there until 1973. My dad knew every great sandwich place in the area! Can anyone recommend any good Italian beef sources in Kansas City, MO or Central Wisonsin (where I live)? Thanks!

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                                    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 03/5/06 5:49 PM (permalink)
                                                    I read about "Relish" on a previous thread here at Roadfood.com. Mrs. Roadhouse (a KC native) and I checked them out when we were visiting last Christmas. His concept is to round up every kind of regional Hot Dog variety and offer them all under one roof (so far he has managed to do this with almost every major variation except the New York Hot Dog. He says he can't get any of the major New York brands to ship to him in KC).

He did a reasonably faithful rendition of the classic Chicago Style Dog (No Mark, nobody called your name, please sit down), going so far as to import real live honest to goodness Vienna Beef Hot Dogs. One of his few offerings other than Hot Dogs is, what he claims to be, an authentic Chicago Italian Beef sandwich. We didn't try one or even discuss it with the owner, but I would think that if he's getting his Dogs from Vienna, he's probably getting his Beef there too.

"Relish" is located on Broadway near the Westport neighborhood, right near where that old Greek fast food place that's been closed for a thousand years and sitting vacant used to be.

Can't help much on central Wisconsin, but maybe chicagostyledog (Now Mark, now!) can be of service.

Buddy

SnakeII

• Total Posts: 4
                                                      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Thu, 07/6/06 1:50 PM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by SnakeII

quote:
                                                      Originally posted by chitownjohnny

Pusateri's Chicago Pizza in Stuart FL
                                                      Opened up in Jan 05 and has the best thin crust pizza in the state,
                                                      as well as the best Itlalian Beefs with Hot giardiniera or Sweet
                                                      Peppers, also Vienna Hot Dogs. They are all about Chicago and ship it
                                                      all in. Best Sausage too, shipped in also.

Thanks for the info! I will drive down & try them out this weekend. I'll post my findings afterwards. Personally, any Italian Beef sandwich is better than none at all!

Well, several hurricanes later and a lot of time, I finally made it down to Pusateri's in Stuart. You are correct. Their Italian Beef sandwiches are delicious! So much so, that I had 3 of them! They are a bit out of my way (2-1/2 hours from Orlando), but it was worth the drive. Thank you!

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                                                        • Location: Beaver Falls, PA
                                                        RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Tue, 09/19/06 5:35 PM (permalink)
                                                        I'm stuck in Pittsburgh, and used to get the Papa Charley's stuff from Wal-Mart, not the same I know, but it was pretty much all I could get...until they quit selling it. I got mad, and tried this

1 lb cheap roast beef
                                                        1 pk au jus
                                                        giardinara
                                                        italian rolls

Make up the au jus, put it in a roasting pan with the meat, warm it in the oven for a 2 hours at 200. Throw it on the roll, top with giardinara, dunk in au jus.

Or if you can wait a while, put the meat and juice in a container and let it stay in the fridge. It's one of those things "the longer it sits, the better it gits"

I know it's not authentic, but it tides me over, and is better than the Papa Charlie's stuff.

gostillerz

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Tue, 09/19/06 5:37 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by gostillerz

I'm stuck in Pittsburgh, and used to get the Papa Charley's stuff from Wal-Mart, not the same I know, but it was pretty much all I could get...until they quit selling it. I got mad, and tried this

1 lb cheap roast beef
                                                          1 pk au jus
                                                          giardinara
                                                          italian rolls

Make up the au jus, put it in a roasting pan with the meat, warm it in the oven for a 2 hours at 200. Throw it on the roll, top with giardinara, dunk in au jus.

Forgot this. Add lots of garlic powder and pepper to the au jus when you're cooking it.

Or if you can wait a while, put the meat and juice in a container and let it stay in the fridge. It's one of those things "the longer it sits, the better it gits"

I know it's not authentic, but it tides me over, and is better than the Papa Charlie's stuff.

gostillerz

• Joined: 11/30/2005
                                                            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Tue, 09/19/06 5:41 PM (permalink)
                                                            Sorry, screwed up the last post. The au jus is that packaged stuff by the gravy packets, and when you're making that, add in lots of garlic powder and pepper.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 114

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com