where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
SnakeII
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2005/03/23 17:05:00
  • Location: Orlando, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/09/27 20:08:54 (permalink)
Finally, an Orlando area source for Italian Beef sandwiches! Chicago Taste has been here for about a year. My mother-in-law spotted the place in the Northern suburb of Lake Mary. I spoke with the owner.....she has the stuff shipped in from Chicago! I'm in heaven again! Vienna! Gonella! Everything you'd want: Beef, sausage, combo, cheezy beef, cheezy combo, Polish, Chicago Dogs, and even some Southern cooking. I found their website: www.chicagotaste.net
#91
almost40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Joined: 2006/10/07 17:18:00
  • Location: San Jose, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/10/07 17:24:59 (permalink)
Hey all!! Another Chicagoan here!! I live in California and like many of you, looooove Italian beef sandwiches!! The place I used to get Italian beef sandwiches in the Chicago area was in Streamwood/Hanover Park at Nana's. Mmmmm!!! Anyone know of any restaurants in the San Jose/Bay area that sell these sandwiches?? Also, most of you talk about just the beef, but what about the combo of Italian beef and sausage with peppers???? Yummmm!!!!
#92
RSMBob
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Joined: 2004/02/12 19:59:00
  • Location: RSM, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/10/27 14:34:24 (permalink)
Hey 40,

Only place I know in the Bay area that has the real deal is out in Vallejo...place called Gumbah's. I've only been there once and it was very good. Only other place I've tried (and been a bit disappointed in) was City Deli in Pleasanton.

Search for Gumbah's on the Internet and you'll find plenty of info and reviews.
#93
susanll
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1077
  • Joined: 2006/10/27 14:41:00
  • Location: bartlett, TN
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/10/27 14:53:28 (permalink)
If you are in the Memphis area, try Jimmy's in Bartlett. Great italian beef.
http://www.jimmysdogs.com
#94
lneisner
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2006/11/11 23:48:00
  • Location: Milwaukee, WI
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/11 23:53:06 (permalink)
Glorioso's on Brady Street on Milwaukee's East side has good Italian beefs. Give it a try.
quote:
Originally posted by finedine

I moved here from Chicago and I was wondering where do I get an Italian beef sandwich like the Big Beef at Portillo's in Milwaukee.
#95
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/12 12:06:29 (permalink)
I'M MAKING MY OWN TODAY!

You can check out my progress (it just went into the crock pot) over in the recipes forum...

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?whichpage=4&TOPIC_ID=11796#244240

Since I have never made this famous sandwich before, suggestions/tips on how to improve it for next time would be most welcome!

I've actually been taking pics which I will post over on the other thread later today.
#96
arelabs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Joined: 2006/11/12 21:18:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/12 21:29:18 (permalink)
Here's an authentic recipe posted on the I-Net by Mike North of Chicago radio fame. He used to own a beef stand.

Italian Beef

• 20 Bay Leaves
• 8 teaspoons oregano
• 2 1/4 teaspoons rosemary
• 2 1/4 teaspoons thyme
• 1 3/4 teaspoons marjoram
• 2 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 cup dry parsley
• 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
• 1 3/4 teaspoons celery salt
• 4 teaspoons salt
• 2 3/4 teaspoons red pepper
• 10 cloves minced garlic
• 1/2 c garlic liquid juice
• 6 teaspoons basil
• 10 lb piece sirloin tip or good roast of your choice.
• 1 cup french onion soup base or beef base

Fill a Nesco roaster halfway with water. Put all spices in cheesecloth, tie with kitchen string and drop into water. Add soup base. Cut 1/2 inch slits in beef and put in pieces of minced garlic. Roast 15 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to about 130º unless you like it more well done. Let beef cool completely before slicing. It’s actually better to slice it cold. Slice as thin as possible, preferably with an electric meat slicer.

When you are ready to eat it, heat gravy in a pan. Drop in slices of beef. Heat just till warm, you don’t want the beef to boil. It becomes very tough. Serve on crusty french bread with roasted sweet peppers or hot giardinera. Very Good.

(**The water amounts to about 18 cups, so to halve this recipe, use 9 cups water. Also, I believe McCormick no longer sells garlic juice.) I've made this and it's delicous.
#97
QFan
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 643
  • Joined: 2004/12/08 20:13:00
  • Location: Bonita Springs, FL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/13 11:10:49 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by phatphil

hey there is great chicago italian beef places here in south florida, few but 3 real ones with chicago pure blood at the helm


Phatphil, did I miss this or did you actually reveal where the 3 "real" ones in S FL are? Please divulge or direct me to where you posted that valuable information. Thanks!

QFan
Bonita Springs, FL
#98
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/13 16:13:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by arelabs

Here's an authentic recipe posted on the I-Net by Mike North of Chicago radio fame. He used to own a beef stand.

Italian Beef

• 20 Bay Leaves
• 8 teaspoons oregano
• 2 1/4 teaspoons rosemary
• 2 1/4 teaspoons thyme
• 1 3/4 teaspoons marjoram
• 2 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 cup dry parsley
• 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
• 1 3/4 teaspoons celery salt
• 4 teaspoons salt
• 2 3/4 teaspoons red pepper
• 10 cloves minced garlic
• 1/2 c garlic liquid juice
• 6 teaspoons basil
• 10 lb piece sirloin tip or good roast of your choice.
• 1 cup french onion soup base or beef base

Fill a Nesco roaster halfway with water. Put all spices in cheesecloth, tie with kitchen string and drop into water. Add soup base. Cut 1/2 inch slits in beef and put in pieces of minced garlic. Roast 15 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to about 130º unless you like it more well done. Let beef cool completely before slicing. It’s actually better to slice it cold. Slice as thin as possible, preferably with an electric meat slicer.

When you are ready to eat it, heat gravy in a pan. Drop in slices of beef. Heat just till warm, you don’t want the beef to boil. It becomes very tough. Serve on crusty french bread with roasted sweet peppers or hot giardinera. Very Good.

(**The water amounts to about 18 cups, so to halve this recipe, use 9 cups water. Also, I believe McCormick no longer sells garlic juice.) I've made this and it's delicous.



What's a Nesco Roaster?? could you make this in a Crock Pot? If so, how long would you cook it????
#99
arelabs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Joined: 2006/11/12 21:18:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/13 18:51:30 (permalink)
Nesco Roasters have been around since, well, forever. They actually do have a website: nesco.com, but their roasters are sold at many places online and in stores, such as Target. Rival makes a similar roaster under their brand name. There's two popular sizes, 18-quart and 6-quart. The 18-quart is the one used in this original recipe, but the 6-quart would be the one to use to halve the recipe. Nesco roaasters are somewhat similar to slow cookers, but they have more options of heating temps. They're like "extra ovens."

To answer your other question, yes, you could use a large slow cooker to make this recipe. The juice is what makes it so good. If you halved the recipe to 9 cups and cut the seasonings in half, just improvise and play around with the seasonings using smaller proportions to the amount of water you use. There are sites on the I-net that do calculate smaller recipe versions. In fact, I do have the half-converted recipe if you'd like me to post it. You could even cut that in half if you wanted to.
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/13 21:41:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by arelabs

Here's an authentic recipe posted on the I-Net by Mike North of Chicago radio fame. He used to own a beef stand.

Italian Beef

• 20 Bay Leaves
• 8 teaspoons oregano
• 2 1/4 teaspoons rosemary
• 2 1/4 teaspoons thyme
• 1 3/4 teaspoons marjoram
• 2 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 3 teaspoons paprika
* 1/2 cup dry parsley
• 4 teaspoons granulated garlic
• 1 3/4 teaspoons celery salt
• 4 teaspoons salt
• 2 3/4 teaspoons red pepper
• 10 cloves minced garlic
• 1/2 c garlic liquid juice
• 6 teaspoons basil
• 10 lb piece sirloin tip or good roast of your choice.
• 1 cup french onion soup base or beef base

Fill a Nesco roaster halfway with water. Put all spices in cheesecloth, tie with kitchen string and drop into water. Add soup base. Cut 1/2 inch slits in beef and put in pieces of minced garlic. Roast 15 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to about 130º unless you like it more well done. Let beef cool completely before slicing. It’s actually better to slice it cold. Slice as thin as possible, preferably with an electric meat slicer.

When you are ready to eat it, heat gravy in a pan. Drop in slices of beef. Heat just till warm, you don’t want the beef to boil. It becomes very tough. Serve on crusty french bread with roasted sweet peppers or hot giardinera. Very Good.

(**The water amounts to about 18 cups, so to halve this recipe, use 9 cups water. Also, I believe McCormick no longer sells garlic juice.) I've made this and it's delicous.



Help me out here...are Italian beef sandwiches as your recipe describes (sliced beef) of is it shredded beef? I was always under the impression that it was the later...This was my first attempt from a recipe posted earlier (page 2). Came out great! I'll give yours a run next weekend! BTW, it was the perfect sandwich to eat while watching da bears kick some N.Y. butt last night!

arelabs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Joined: 2006/11/12 21:18:00
  • Location: Chicago, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/13 23:06:45 (permalink)
Nope, here in Chicago they are definitely not shredded. They're thinly sliced pieces of beef in a highly seasoned broth, or au jus. That's where the beef stands vary on their flavor. Each has a different taste due to the seasonings they they use. Johnnie's, Portillos, Al's, they're all different, yet each is awesome. Johnnie's is my favorite.

Oh, and our Bears did kick some butt, didn't they? Go Bears!!!!!!
saps
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1563
  • Joined: 2003/08/18 16:22:00
  • Location: wheaton, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/13 23:50:15 (permalink)
I think it falls somewhere between sliced and shredded. If you look at some of the pictures on the "Illinois" area of this site as well as others, they are not classic slices, as much of the meat falls apart into different sections. It's usually served on a long Italian of French roll, and you can have it dry, dipped (where they dip each end of the bread into the juice), or wet, where it is completely dunked in the beef juice. I may have the last two terms mixed up.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
  • Joined: 2006/09/01 14:56:00
  • Location: Gilbert, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/11/14 10:41:01 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by arelabs

Nesco Roasters have been around since, well, forever. They actually do have a website: nesco.com, but their roasters are sold at many places online and in stores, such as Target. Rival makes a similar roaster under their brand name. There's two popular sizes, 18-quart and 6-quart. The 18-quart is the one used in this original recipe, but the 6-quart would be the one to use to halve the recipe. Nesco roaasters are somewhat similar to slow cookers, but they have more options of heating temps. They're like "extra ovens."

To answer your other question, yes, you could use a large slow cooker to make this recipe. The juice is what makes it so good. If you halved the recipe to 9 cups and cut the seasonings in half, just improvise and play around with the seasonings using smaller proportions to the amount of water you use. There are sites on the I-net that do calculate smaller recipe versions. In fact, I do have the half-converted recipe if you'd like me to post it. You could even cut that in half if you wanted to.


THANX! for the info. I'll be able to figure out the math on reducing the recipe, but thanx anyway.
almost40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Joined: 2006/10/07 17:18:00
  • Location: San Jose, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/12/02 22:20:09 (permalink)
This recipe is totally wonderful!!! I made it and it tastes just like the italian beef I remember from home!! I highly recommend this recipe!!!! Yummmmm!!!
quote:
Originally posted by kholzhauer

My wife and I have a recipe for Italian Beef that we have used ever since moving away from Illinois.
I think it's perfect for those poor souls that cannot get a true, sloppy, greasy beef.
Now that I'm back in Chicago, I still use it and think it comes awfully close to the beef you'd get at any stand around here (probably better in many cases). (Use a crock pot)
I've got the recipe packed away (I'm moving) but I am almost certain that it came from a Jane and Michael Stern book. Perhaps Mr. Stern remembers which book it came from and/or could supply the recipe here.



(I'm guessing here....)
3-4 lb. Beef (Chuck or cheap, I've used roasts)
2 or 3 Garlic cloves, sliced thin and poked into the meat (pierce with paring knife to create holes in meat)
1 T Red Pepper flakes (less if it'll freak you out)
1 T Oregano
1 T Salt
1 T Black Pepper
Water to cover meat in Roaster or Crock

I throw that bad boy in a crock pot and let it cook for the day while at work. When I return I can shred the meat with a fork, the au jus is spicy and perfect for dipping your sammie. You'll need Giardiniera to complete the experience. You can do roasted sweet peppers too!
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
  • Joined: 2006/05/24 19:03:00
  • Location: Scottsdale, AZ
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/12/08 20:57:11 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by almost40

This recipe is totally wonderful!!! I made it and it tastes just like the italian beef I remember from home!! I highly recommend this recipe!!!! Yummmmm!!!!
quote:
Originally posted by kholzhauer

My wife and I have a recipe for Italian Beef that we have used ever since moving away from Illinois.
I think it's perfect for those poor souls that cannot get a true, sloppy, greasy beef.
Now that I'm back in Chicago, I still use it and think it comes awfully close to the beef you'd get at any stand around here (probably better in many cases). (Use a crock pot)
I've got the recipe packed away (I'm moving) but I am almost certain that it came from a Jane and Michael Stern book. Perhaps Mr. Stern remembers which book it came from and/or could supply the recipe here.



(I'm guessing here....)
3-4 lb. Beef (Chuck or cheap, I've used roasts)
2 or 3 Garlic cloves, sliced thin and poked into the meat (pierce with paring knife to create holes in meat)
1 T Red Pepper flakes (less if it'll freak you out)
1 T Oregano
1 T Salt
1 T Black Pepper
Water to cover meat in Roaster or Crock

I throw that bad boy in a crock pot and let it cook for the day while at work. When I return I can shred the meat with a fork, the au jus is spicy and perfect for dipping your sammie. You'll need Giardiniera to complete the experience. You can do roasted sweet peppers too!



See, this recipe is also for shredded beef, which is what I did.(See picture above) but I was told a TRUE Italian Beef sandwich is sliced and more roast beef like, meaning not cooking it through.

Come on, Chi-townies, what is it, shredded or sliced?????
kland01s
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2835
  • Joined: 2003/03/14 07:01:00
  • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/12/09 07:03:39 (permalink)
Sliced
almost40
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
  • Joined: 2006/10/07 17:18:00
  • Location: San Jose, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/12/09 17:15:04 (permalink)
Shredded or sliced....doesn't matter!!! I use to eat at Nana's in Streamwood and it's shredded there. Let's not get so picky...it's all delicious!!!
petiest
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Joined: 2006/12/29 19:39:00
  • Location: St. Paul, MN
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2006/12/29 19:44:27 (permalink)
Don't know how close you are to St. Paul MN but on White Bear Avenue and Maryland just north of Hwy 94 there is a relatively new place called Pappy's and they are from Chicago and they use real Vienna Beef hot dogs and make real Chicago Italian Beef sandwiches. Check them out. :)
beckysuea
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Joined: 2007/01/01 23:52:00
  • Location: Riverside, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2007/01/02 22:03:29 (permalink)
They serve a good Italian Beef Sandwich at Archibald's in Chino/Ontario, Calif.



Mello Yello
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Joined: 2006/03/01 00:55:00
  • Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2007/02/24 00:17:27 (permalink)
Check out this comprehensive definition of this favorite dish of ours.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_beef

Thank you all for the recipes, will definitely try someday. I have tried other recipes with varying degrees of success. I believe to really experience an Italian Beef the way it's served in Chicago eatery's is to thinly slice the beef. After the beef has had a chance to soak in the seasoned juice, layer the thin slices piled high. The bite and chew is much more satisfying than a thicker cut chewy slice. Well that means getting your hands on a professional deli slicer. I have been tempted to purchase one ($1,000 and up) but for the time being settled on a $100 model. Slices evenly, however very difficult to achieve paper-thin slices. I've even thought about asking my grocer to slice for me, but was turned down due to public health and safety codes.
cornfed
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Joined: 2005/05/14 17:39:00
  • Location: atlanta, GA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2007/02/24 14:02:05 (permalink)
Lefty's in San Diego. Pretty nifty place. Lots of Chi memorobilia.
gumbahs
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Joined: 2007/03/30 08:40:00
  • Location: Vallejo, CA
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2007/03/30 08:51:44 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Mello Yello

The owner of Windy C's in Upland, CA sounds like a total jerk. I wonder if this has anything to do with the success of the business? I wonder if he is really from Chicago because I had an experience their a couple years ago. The food was not close to a Chicago dining experience.

I am from Chicago living in Northern California. I have been aching for a place in California that serves Italian Beef for the last 17 years. I've shared my culinary experiences with friends in LA and we were looking forward to trying a place that claims to be authentic Chicago style food. I found Windy C's website and in May 2004 planned a trip there from Anaheim (Disneyland). I was pumped for a big juicy Italian Beef.

Was I dissapointed. Typical Chicago beef is 1/3 to 1/2 pound of beef per sandwich. They are two-fisted sandwiches with alot of bite, very satisfying! This sandwich was on a diet, maybe had 1/8 to 1/4 pound of beef that was dry and tasteless. When the condiments overtake the flavor of the sandwich, it's a skimpy sandwich. A couple beefs, four hotdogs, with fries, drinks, for 4 adults cost me about $30-$35 (in Chicago, under $20). The cost did not bother me as much as the quality and value of the food. I felt ripped off and dissapointed with the experience especially with friends whom were trying Chicago food for the first time. I did not have any sense of wanting to visit this place again.

By the way, I do recall having a brief conversation and got the sense he was short tempered.
Zig
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Joined: 2005/11/14 09:18:00
  • Location: Huntington, IN
  • Status: offline
RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH 2007/03/30 15:37:45 (permalink)
Art's Pizza in Anderson, Indiana has the best Italian Roast Beef Sandwiches I have ever had. People travel from miles around to get a Art's Roast Beef!
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1