Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH

Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 114
finedine

• Total Posts: 1
where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 10/12/03 6:25 PM (permalink)
I moved here from Chicago and I was wondering where do I get an Italian beef sandwich like the Big Beef at Portillo's in Milwaukee.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17837
    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 10/12/03 6:30 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by finedine

I moved here from Chicago and I was wondering where do I get an Italian beef sandwich like the Big Beef at Portillo's in Milwaukee.

Where is here?

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 10/12/03 10:19 PM (permalink)
      His or her profile shows Mequon, WI as their location.

John

Michael Stern

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 10/13/03 4:32 AM (permalink)
        I'd say it's more likely you'll find Hot Beef than Italian Beef. Nothing wrong with the former -- it can be fantastic -- but it is no substitute for the latter.

Julia I

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 10/31/03 11:23 AM (permalink)
          There are several places in Milwaukee that serve Italian beef sandwiches, although I don't know how they compare to the Big Beef at Portillo's, since I have never eaten there. (Where is it?) My favorite is probably Sammy's Taste of Chicago, although you can get a dipped sandwich at Judy's Red Hots and Martino's is also OK. (But I prefer their Chicago style dogs.)

Oneiron339

• Total Posts: 2075
            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 10/31/03 12:50 PM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by AndyNYC1

Can't get an Italian Beef or a Hot Beef in New York. Can't get a cheesesteak either for that matter. Hell, there's not even an Arby's in Manhattan anymore!

Yo, Andy, since you just became a Cheeseburger - go have a cheeseburger, fuggededabout the Eye-talian beef

danimal15

• Total Posts: 1092
              RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 11/21/03 4:10 PM (permalink)
              I've never found a good Chicago-style hot dog outside of Chicago, nor have I ever even seen Italian beef outside of Chicago. Best of luck finding them up in Wisconsin.

4squirl

• Total Posts: 4
                RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 01/18/04 9:26 PM (permalink)
                Where can you find a great beef in Southern Ca.
                Los Angeles/Orange County

hawkeyejohn

• Total Posts: 257
                  RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 01/19/04 7:11 AM (permalink)
                  quote:
                  Originally posted by 4squirl

Where can you find a great beef in Southern Ca.
                  Los Angeles/Orange County

Do they even allow beef in LaLa Land?

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
                    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 01/19/04 8:26 PM (permalink)
                    Phillipe, the Original. Closest you'll get to an Italian Beef.

Tristan Indiana

• Total Posts: 328
                      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Wed, 02/11/04 9:16 AM (permalink)
                      I lived in LA off and on for 10 years and never found anything that was more than a pale imitation of what I could get at dozens of places in Chicago. If you want an Italian Beef sandwich in southern CA, I think you might be out of luck.

RSMBob

• Total Posts: 21
                        RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Thu, 02/12/04 8:04 PM (permalink)
                        Attention SoCal'ers...there is hope.
                        About 18 months ago, a really great Chicago place, GIorgio's in Laguna Niguel, shut its doors despite a full page glowing review in the LA Times. There are 4 places I know of where you can still get the real thing, though I've only been to one of them and 3 of them are a ways out there...

Taste Chicago in Burbank...recently opened and owned by Chicagoans Joe and Arlene Mantegna (Joe stars in Joan of Arcadia). Hollywood Way and Verdugo. I'm actually going there for dinner tomorrow night for my first visit.

Anthony's Chicago Style in Redlands...supposed to be good...there is a review on www.letsdineout.com

WIndy C's Chicago Hot Dogs in Upland...I was looking forward to trying this place and have recommended it to others, but I got a nasty nasty note from the owner/manager who thought I had given it a bad review. Apparently he meant to send it to the person who replied to my note recommending it. Still, leaves a disappointing taste in my mouth and I'm less excited about venturing out there than I once was.

Taste of Chicago in Grover Beach...Grover Beach? Um, way up the 101 past Santa Maria, near Arroyo Grande, Pismo Beach, etc. Happened to do a drive by the place on the way home last summer and got a beef to go not thinking it would be much. I started eating it about 30 miles later and I was almost tempted to go back. Good stuff!

2 other places I know of but I don't know if they have it or not. Ruben's in Encino/Sherman Oaks (Sepulveda and Ventura Blvd) is a Chicago-type place; also Mustard's in Los Alamitos has some good Chicago-style sandwiches and decor, but I didn't think the italian beef was all that great.

Hope the info helps...
                        Bob in RSM

chicagostyledog

• Total Posts: 3218
                          RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Tue, 03/2/04 3:54 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by danimal15

I've never found a good Chicago-style hot dog outside of Chicago, nor have I ever even seen Italian beef outside of Chicago. Best of luck finding them up in Wisconsin.

Martino's Italian Beef in Milwaukee makes a fine beef sandwich and offers a full selection of Vienna products: Polish, Hot Polish aka Fire Dog, and regular/jumbo dogs on steamed S.Rosen poppy seed buns with all the real Chicago trimmings. Cross the Illinois border into Kenosha and enjoy four authentic Chicago style hot dog establishments serving Vienna products: JJ's, Standing Room Only, Trolley Dog, and Grateful Dog. FYI Vienna Beef makes the signature dog for the Green Bay Packers known as the Lambeau Field Dog sold in food stores across Wisconsin. Our food stores also carry Best's Kosher and Hebrew National hot dogs.

The Brad

• Total Posts: 1
                            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 03/15/04 7:16 AM (permalink)
                            Does anyone know where to get a good Italian beef sandwich in Orlando? I tried "The Friendly Confines" and it was inedible - I sent it back three times and they still couldn't get it right! aarrgghh! I'd appreciate any help.

ChitownMarine

• Total Posts: 3
                              RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 05/16/04 11:43 PM (permalink)
                              Italian Beefs in Southern California! REALLY! The place is called Mustard's and it is located North of the 405 freeway exit on Atlantic. Cross streets are Wardlow and Atlantic. It is tucked away in the corner of a mini mall. The owners are unaware that there are people that crave these and other Chicago style products such as hot dogs and polish dogs. The meat is tender, the juice makes the bread suckable, and the crispy thin fries make a great compliment to your sandwich. I recently asked them to post their "hole in the wall" on a website with their menu. They serve beer too. By the way, the original owner was from Chicago and took off after his first experience with an earthquake. Go in and tell them that James Bond sent you. That is the owners call me - don't know why.

ChitownMarine

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 05/16/04 11:49 PM (permalink)
                                By the way here is the phone number to Mustard's 562-427-6435. Let me correct my last sentence on my first post. I meant to say that the owners call me James Bond. Sorry for the poor grammar; I was happy to share the info about a beef house in So. California.

4squirl

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 05/17/04 12:56 AM (permalink)
                                  Mustards which has been around since 1986 has Chicago style products.
                                  But there is beef is Vienna which doesn't cut it.
                                  Looks like I will still have the good stuff sent Fedex.
                                  Try www.alscatering.com the best the Chicago has to offer
                                  Thanks for the info

ChitownMarine

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 05/17/04 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                    I have been to both Mustards and the one in Los Alamitos does not have a good beef. The one in Long Beach is much better. My brother came to visit me from Chicago last year and I took him there for lunch and he thought they were decent.

kholzhauer

• Total Posts: 7
                                      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Mon, 05/17/04 11:32 AM (permalink)
                                      My wife and I have a recipe for Italian Beef that we have used ever since moving away from Illinois.
                                      I think it's perfect for those poor souls that cannot get a true, sloppy, greasy beef.
                                      Now that I'm back in Chicago, I still use it and think it comes awfully close to the beef you'd get at any stand around here (probably better in many cases). (Use a crock pot)
                                      I've got the recipe packed away (I'm moving) but I am almost certain that it came from a Jane and Michael Stern book. Perhaps Mr. Stern remembers which book it came from and/or could supply the recipe here.

(I'm guessing here....)
                                      3-4 lb. Beef (Chuck or cheap, I've used roasts)
                                      2 or 3 Garlic cloves, sliced thin and poked into the meat (pierce with paring knife to create holes in meat)
                                      1 T Red Pepper flakes (less if it'll freak you out)
                                      1 T Oregano
                                      1 T Salt
                                      1 T Black Pepper
                                      Water to cover meat in Roaster or Crock

I throw that bad boy in a crock pot and let it cook for the day while at work. When I return I can shred the meat with a fork, the au jus is spicy and perfect for dipping your sammie. You'll need Giardiniera to complete the experience. You can do roasted sweet peppers too!

i_heart_italian_beef

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 11/12/04 9:25 AM (permalink)
                                        Portillo's is planning to open a restaurant in So. Calif. I'm not sure which city. I found this out when I was looking at portillos.com, at their list of locations.

I grew up a couple of miles from the original Portillos's 'weenie wagon' in Villa Park, IL. I actually remember that in working order, out in the parking lot of the Big 'R' store.

They are such a Chicago success story. I had moved to Michigan for 5 years, and just came back. Whenever I came back to Chicago, I always had to do a Portillo's run.

Another great place for Beef in Chicago is Carm's on Wolf Rd. in Hillside. They also serve a nice thin-crust pizza, as well as dogs, salads, etc. I think I like Carm's beef slightly better than Portillo's. But, Portillo's has that great chopped salad, and Gina's chocolate cake. Mmmmm! I'm so glad I'm back!

i_heart_italian_beef

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 11/12/04 9:31 AM (permalink)
                                          My brother got this recipe from a pizzeria that he worked for. He made it at Christmas last year, and it was really good:

3 to 4# beef roast (top round worked well for me)
                                          1/3 cup olive oil
                                          1 tsp garlic salt
                                          3 Tbsp grated parmesan
                                          1 Tbsp dried parsley
                                          1 tsp oregano (or more to taste)
                                          1Tbsp tomato paste
                                          1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (cayenne)
                                          1 med to large onion, chopped
                                          1 clove garlic, sliced thin or pressed
                                          beef boullion cubes, 1 for each 10 oz. of water used
                                          water

Combine all ingredients in a pot, using enough water to cover the beef
                                          roast, and the appropriate amount of boullion cubes. Bring to a boil, then
                                          simmer on low heat for about 1 hour. The outside of the roast will look done
                                          at this point.If the inner beef looks rare to med - rare, it is ready for
                                          slicing. The sliced beef will continue to cook if left in the juice at
                                          serving temperature. The beef will be tough if cooked too long at first.

Notes :
                                          1) You will probably have plenty of broth. I cooked 4 roasts, one at a
                                          time, in the same pot of broth, and there was still almost enough broth for
                                          the entire amount (about 15 lbs.) of sliced beef. I made a little extra
                                          broth after all the roasts were done, using all of the above ingredients.

2) The original recipe called for 1 tsp of red pepper, but the broth was
                                          pretty spicy when the first roast was done. The "bite" diminished after
                                          several more roasts were cooked in it. Start with about 1/2 tsp, and add to
                                          broth if needed when the roast is finished.

3) The original also called for 1 chopped stem of celery, but I didn't
                                          think it would look right floating around in there. I don't think celery
                                          would add much flavor, but try it if you want. The recipe also called for 1
                                          tsp of fennel seed, which I might have used, but couldn't find in the spice
                                          aisle at Jewel or Dominick's.

4) There is a product available alongside the boullion cubes at Jewel called
                                          "Better than Boullion". It is more of a paste that you measure by the tsp,
                                          and we really like the vegetable broth variety. It also comes in beef and
                                          chicken flavors. I think it makes a better tasting broth than the boullion
                                          cubes, and it is actually cheaper by the serving to use.

Tommy2dogs

• Total Posts: 348
                                            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 11/12/04 6:56 PM (permalink)
                                            quote:
                                            Originally posted by i_heart_italian_beef

Portillo's is planning to open a restaurant in So. Calif. I'm not sure which city. I found this out when I was looking at portillos.com, at their list of locations.

I grew up a couple of miles from the original Portillos's 'weenie wagon' in Villa Park, IL. I actually remember that in working order, out in the parking lot of the Big 'R' store.

They are such a Chicago success story. I had moved to Michigan for 5 years, and just came back. Whenever I came back to Chicago, I always had to do a Portillo's run.

I also remember eating at Portillo's Dog Hut in Villa Park. And I think that Carm's has some of the best Italian Beef in the Chicago. I also love their Italian Sausage with Peppers and Eggs, which they only serve on Friday

Another great place for Beef in Chicago is Carm's on Wolf Rd. in Hillside. They also serve a nice thin-crust pizza, as well as dogs, salads, etc. I think I like Carm's beef slightly better than Portillo's. But, Portillo's has that great chopped salad, and Gina's chocolate cake. Mmmmm! I'm so glad I'm back!

kathy_in_wlsv

• Total Posts: 103
                                              RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Fri, 11/12/04 7:48 PM (permalink)
                                              Ono's in Highwood, Il

In 1973, I worked for Irv Dacks, who owned a little hole in the wall Italian Beef place called "Ono's" in Highwood Il. I have never ever before or since tasted better Italian Beef. He wouldn't tell us what was in the spices we used to make the beef. He kept it in a big old plastic bag, and we never knew what was in it or the proportions.

The resturant was long ago torn down to make room for something, a parking lot, or something, and Irv went on to open another place in the city..

I'd love to know if hes still serving Italian Beef.

imsofull

• Total Posts: 61
                                                RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 11/13/04 7:39 PM (permalink)
                                                If you make it to San Diego there is a place not far from La Jolla
                                                called Chicago on a Bun. They have a "decent" Italian beef sandwich.
                                                Not quite the same but close

imnjupiter

RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 12/4/04 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                                  No Italian beefs here in Florida.
                                                  I have to go back to Budacki's on Damen in Chicago to get the best ones- with sweet peppers and dipped.

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                    • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                    RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sat, 12/4/04 11:58 PM (permalink)
                                                    Not in Natchotoches, LA!!

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
                                                      • Location: Natchitoches, LA
                                                      RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 12/5/04 12:02 AM (permalink)
                                                      quote:
                                                      Originally posted by i_heart_italian_beef

My brother got this recipe from a pizzeria that he worked for.
                                                      Bless you! I haven't found one since leaving Evanston in 1979. Now I can try my own!!!

4squirl

• Location: los angeles, CA
                                                        RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 12/5/04 12:31 PM (permalink)
                                                        Just remember www.alscatering.com
                                                        They will overnight all the stuff
                                                        It's not like being there, but it's comes very close.

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
                                                          • Location: St. Petersburg, FL
                                                          RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 12/5/04 2:41 PM (permalink)
                                                          quote:
                                                          Originally posted by imnjupiter

No Italian beefs here in Florida.
                                                          I have to go back to Budacki's on Damen in Chicago to get the best ones- with sweet peppers and dipped.

Not true about FL. We have a place called Fat Boy's in St. Petersburg that makes very good italian beef sandwiches.

John

imnjupiter

• Location: Jupiter, FL
                                                            RE: where do you get an ITALIAN BEEF SANDWICH Sun, 12/5/04 9:59 PM (permalink)
                                                            I'm in Palm Beach County. I shouldn't have spoken for all of Florida. If I'm ever over that way, I'll have to try one there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 1234 > | Showing page 1 of 4, messages 1 to 30 of 114

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com