where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia???

Author
erica14
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 2
2013/08/14 13:01:56 (permalink)

where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia???

My brother and I are driving from ct to nc and we want to stop in virginia off rt 81 for some real good southern bar b que. If anyone has any good suggestions im all ears. Thanks!!

12 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18891
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 13:35:25 (permalink)
    You are heading for Southern barbeque heaven and you want to stop one state short for barbeque?
    erica14
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 13:43:59 (permalink)
    Yes. Cause by the time we hit virginia we are gonna need to stop for food. We will be driving for about 8 hours when we hit the middle of the state.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 13:51:51 (permalink)
    The Shenanodah Valley is not known for its BBQ. I guess since you'll be in about the middle of the state, BBQ Ranch in Harrisonburg would be the most convenient choice. It's nothing special though, but it's a cute old building.

Michael is right. The REAL bbq is in NC so I hope you try some there.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4278
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 16:23:44 (permalink)
    Three Lil Pigs, just off I-81 north of Roanoke is very good:  http://threelilpigsbbq.com/ .

As you most likely know, "Carolina 'Cue" is divided into the West and East Regions; I-81 takes you into the "Western".

IMHO, the East 'Cue is the best in the world; the West: meh ...
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 17:00:03 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

Three Lil Pigs, just off I-81 north of Roanoke is very good:  http://threelilpigsbbq.com/ .

As you most likely know, "Carolina 'Cue" is divided into the West and East Regions; I-81 takes you into the "Western".

IMHO, the East 'Cue is the best in the world; the West: meh ...
    I'm with Jim...buy a couple of Slim Jims to stave off the hunger and wait for NC. It will be worth it.

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 348
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 17:16:55 (permalink)
    If you are travelling on Friday or Saturday and find yourself near Edinburg, VA, between 11 AM and 2PM or so, try Bean's BBQ in the old firehouse on Main Street.  Really, really good BBQ but ridiculously short hours.  They stay open until they run out of food, which can be pretty early.  1/3 lb. pulled pork sandwich for $3.75(!).  Otherwise, not much to recommend as far a s BBQ is concerned along I-81.  Hempen Hill BBQ in Hagerstown, MD, is pretty good, but not sure you'd be ready to stop that early.  Wright's Dairy Rite in Staunton, VA, is a classic RF stop, but not for BBQ.
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2013/08/15 09:27:08
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 17:29:29 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

If you are travelling on Saturday and find yourself near Edinburg, VA, between 9 AM and 2PM or so, try Bean's BBQ in the old firehouse on Main Street.  Really, really good BBQ but ridiculously short hours.  Otherwise, not much to recommend as far a s BBQ is concerned along I-81.  Hempen Hill BBQ in Hagerstown, MD, is pretty good, but not sure you'd be ready to stop that early.  Wright's Dairy Rite in Staunton, VA, is a classic RF stop, but not for BBQ.
    I've got a buddy over in Strasburg, VA and he seems to think they might be open on Fridays now from 11am til they sell out. He told me most people call ahead and reserve their food. Must be a great place.

Raiders757
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 18:49:31 (permalink)
    I can't help but laugh at those who think BBQ just suddenly gets better the second you cross the Virginia/North Carolina border. I can't make any suggestions about anything off of 81, but I do know that you can find great BBQ in Virginia. There are just as many mediocre BBQ joints in N.C as there are in Virginia. Just because it's called"Carolina Style" doesn't mean that it's excellence hasn't crossed the boarder. It's all about the pit master and the management, not the location or state it's in. One can easily grab some Slim-Jims in Virginia in order to hold themselves over until they cross an imaginary line, and still end up at a mediocre BBQ joint in Carolina.  The same can be said about any other BBQ mecca. 

I personally smoke my own, in Virginia, and it kicks the crap out of most everything I've had in Carolina. I guess if I move across the border, it will suddenly become even more awesome than it already is. Well, that's if  listen to some of the posters around here.
    post edited by Raiders757 - 2013/08/14 18:50:38
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/14 19:51:44 (permalink)
    Nobody is saying that ALL NC BBQ is the best. I'm from VA and have lived in NC, SC, GA, TN, AL, MS, TX, and still say that  Lexington BBQ (NC) is the best I've ever had.
    Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/15 09:31:24 (permalink)
    Pancho

Treetop Tom

If you are travelling on Saturday and find yourself near Edinburg, VA, between 9 AM and 2PM or so, try Bean's BBQ in the old firehouse on Main Street.  Really, really good BBQ but ridiculously short hours.  Otherwise, not much to recommend as far a s BBQ is concerned along I-81.  Hempen Hill BBQ in Hagerstown, MD, is pretty good, but not sure you'd be ready to stop that early.  Wright's Dairy Rite in Staunton, VA, is a classic RF stop, but not for BBQ.
    I've got a buddy over in Strasburg, VA and he seems to think they might be open on Fridays now from 11am til they sell out. He told me most people call ahead and reserve their food. Must be a great place.

Checked their facebook page and your buddy is right, new hours are Friday & Saturday 11-7, although they usually sell out much earlier.  I never have tried the ribs but it looks like you need to reserve to get some.  Best Q I've had in the Valley, although my experience is limited to three places.
    post edited by Treetop Tom - 2013/08/15 09:32:35
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/15 09:44:18 (permalink)
    Treetop Tom

Pancho

Treetop Tom

Checked their facebook page and your buddy is right, new hours are Friday & Saturday 11-7, although they usually sell out much earlier.  I never have tried the ribs but it looks like you need to reserve to get some.  Best Q I've had in the Valley, although my experience is limited to three places.
    Hey Tom...sounds like a good road trip plan....some crab cakes at Faidley's for an early lunch and then a nice ride through the Blue Ridge for some Q for supper.

Treetop Tom
    Cheeseburger
    Re:where to find the best bbq on 81 in virginia??? 2013/08/15 10:22:54 (permalink)
    Pancho 

Hey Tom...sounds like a good road trip plan....some crab cakes at Faidley's for an early lunch and then a nice ride through the Blue Ridge for some Q for supper.

Knowing how quickly they sell out (I have literally gotten the last sandwiches they sold at 2:30 PM) I would probably flip the order and drive out for an early lunch at Bean's, hike along the ridges for a while and then roll back into Charm City via Frederick , MD, stopping at Wag's and/or Beef 'n Buns for a nosh and an ice cream.  We've done this several times and it makes a great fall colors trip.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1