The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

where to get philly cheese steak thin meat?

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 54 of 54
UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
  • Roadfood Insider
RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 11/30/06 11:21 AM (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by PapaJoe8

On Scores rec I bought some Steak-ums. Now I see he was just kidding. Hey, they were on sale cheep. Anyone know a way to fix these so they might be eatadble?

Nice tips on the slicing thin, freeing thing, thanks yall!
Joe

Cook them up in a pan, when done top with saurkraut and swiss cheese. Cover to let the swiss melt into the kraut. Serve on a burger bun...

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 11/30/06 11:25 AM (permalink)
    Here's how Ricks does it: http://www.rickssteaks.com/ricks-steaks-recipe.html

Also here's a frozen, sliced ribeye if you have Stehouwers available in your area:
    http://www.stehouwerfrozenfoods.com/product_ribeye.htm

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
      RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Tue, 12/5/06 7:23 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by Wendy62
      Steak-Ums are not edible. They are an inferior form of shoe soling.
      But they're nice thin shoe soling.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sun, 12/10/06 9:31 PM (permalink)
        Since I live in cheesesteak central I just call out. I do make chicken cheesesteaks at hone though. Like it was stated before I use frozen boneless chicken breast to make it east to cut thin.

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
          RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 12/13/06 4:26 AM (permalink)
          Another provider of frozen, whole (not chopped and pressed) sandwich steaks is Quaker Maid Meats, Inc. of Reading, PA. I have only seen them in some ShopRite supermarkets of NJ, NY, PA, and CT. They are in the frozen foods section, and are packed in a styrofoam tray such as found in the meat department, then wrapped with a thick plastic. Except for the area behind the label, you can see the meat. This item does not appear on Quaker Maid's website. I only buy it in the winter, when I can get it home still frozen. I usually buy two packages and tightly wrap them together with the meat side facing each other so I have sort of a styrofoam cooler.

To me, this appears to be one of their food service items that they have packaged for retail sales.

acornlover

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 12/14/06 6:25 AM (permalink)
            quote:
            Originally posted by David_NYC

Another provider of frozen, whole (not chopped and pressed) sandwich steaks is Quaker Maid Meats, Inc. of Reading, PA. I have only seen them in some ShopRite supermarkets of NJ, NY, PA, and CT. They are in the frozen foods section, and are packed in a styrofoam tray such as found in the meat department, then wrapped with a thick plastic. Except for the area behind the label, you can see the meat. This item does not appear on Quaker Maid's website. I only buy it in the winter, when I can get it home still frozen. I usually buy two packages and tightly wrap them together with the meat side facing each other so I have sort of a styrofoam cooler.

To me, this appears to be one of their food service items that they have packaged for retail sales.

I found these last night at Stop and Shop here in Mass (I was looking for meatballs in the frozen foods and there were the Quaker Maids!)
            They were in a box though, not styrofoam trays, do you think this is the same thing?
            I bought a pkg and will try it for lunch today, any NE suggestion for a roll?

David_NYC

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 12/14/06 5:12 PM (permalink)
              Unfortunately, the Quaker Maid ones in the cardboard box are the chopped ones. I have seen them in many supermarkets, including the Stop and Shops in New York. However, I have never tried them. The ones in the styrofoam tray were always, per ounce, more expensive than the ones in the cardboard box within the same supermarket. Quaker Maid also bought up the Steak-umm brand.

For a roll, I usually buy poly-bagged "steak rolls" in the supermarket's deli section. Each bakery seems to have a different name for them. It should not be hard Italian Bread. It should also not be soft like a frankfurter bun. In the Philadelphia/Camden area, I buy Amoroso's. In NYC, I buy J.J. Cassone, baked in Port Chester, NY. I don't know of any chain bakery (Nissin, Pepperidge Farm) that makes a good one. Here is a picture of what the good ones look like, from Amoroso's web site:
              http://www.amorosobaking.com/art_photos/p_3c.jpg

I usually heat the rolls for a few minutes in the oven before servng to crisp them up.

I have bought good ones in Massachusetts, but can't remember the brand name. They good ones come from the small Italian (not Portugese) bakeries. I find that the best ones have a great yeast aroma when you open the bag after buying them.

acornlover

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sat, 12/16/06 6:15 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by David_NYC

Unfortunately, the Quaker Maid ones in the cardboard box are the chopped ones. I have seen them in many supermarkets, including the Stop and Shops in New York. However, I have never tried them. The ones in the styrofoam tray were always, per ounce, more expensive than the ones in the cardboard box within the same supermarket. Quaker Maid also bought up the Steak-umm brand.

For a roll, I usually buy poly-bagged "steak rolls" in the supermarket's deli section. Each bakery seems to have a different name for them. It should not be hard Italian Bread. It should also not be soft like a frankfurter bun. In the Philadelphia/Camden area, I buy Amoroso's. In NYC, I buy J.J. Cassone, baked in Port Chester, NY. I don't know of any chain bakery (Nissin, Pepperidge Farm) that makes a good one. Here is a picture of what the good ones look like, from Amoroso's web site:
                http://www.amorosobaking.com/art_photos/p_3c.jpg

I usually heat the rolls for a few minutes in the oven before servng to crisp them up.

I have bought good ones in Massachusetts, but can't remember the brand name. They good ones come from the small Italian (not Portugese) bakeries. I find that the best ones have a great yeast aroma when you open the bag after buying them.

Thank you David, I tried the cardboard box Quaker Maid, took one bite and threw the box away, icckkkk

Now, I will be at the Phil airport passing thru on Sunday, is there a cheesesteak place there?
                Thanks!

David_NYC

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sat, 12/16/06 1:27 PM (permalink)
                  IIRC, there is a franchised "Philly Steak and Gyro" in Concourse "C" at the Philadelphia International Airport. This seems to be part of a chain you find in food courts.

genewj

• Total Posts: 370
                    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 12/21/06 5:43 PM (permalink)
                    Sysco sells 10# boxes of very thin sliced beef in 5 oz individual containers for Philly Steak..

redtressed

• Total Posts: 1017
                      RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 12/21/06 7:58 PM (permalink)
                      A couple of weeks ago I bought the "Fast Fixins" brand of cheesesteak meat. The meat involved is sirloin. Inside the box were 4 good size"fillets" that looked a whole lot like a well marbled DElmonico cut. To prepare them, you place them in a large skillet (1 fillet per sandwich), turn the heat on medium and allow to cook on one side for about 4 minutes. Flip them over and cook until they start to fall apart into smaller strips. Start stirring to further break them apart , season as pleased and cook to doneness to your taste. The end result was a plentiful serving of meat per sub sized roll, very tender and fresh tasting beef, without a lot of "goopy" fat in the strips. We were quite happy with them and will continue to use, especially since the everday price on them was 5.99, quite a surprise bargain.

Mbentley

• Total Posts: 1
                        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Tue, 01/30/07 10:46 PM (permalink)
                        tenderfilet.com has the cheesesteak meat and it is great but a bit spendy. Also comes with onions and peppers. Also, if you have super Walmart store they sell this package called JTM Philly Cheesesteak kit that has the meat, onions, cheese and rolls included enough for 4 for 9.99 and they are about the best I have ever had!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                          RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 01/31/07 7:22 AM (permalink)
                          acornlover, the New England roll you may be looking for is Piantedosi. They are sold all over the area and many if not the majority of sub shops use them. Chow Jim

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17853
                            RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 01/31/07 11:56 AM (permalink)
                            quote:
                            Originally posted by UncleVic

Also here's a frozen, sliced ribeye if you have Stehouwers available in your area:

The trouble with the Stehouwer stuff is that they don't sell the shaved ribeye at retail. I can, and do, buy the Beef Sizzlers, though, and they're excellent.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                              RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 01/31/07 12:24 PM (permalink)
                              I just go to the deli and buy Boars Head roast beef.....

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 01/31/07 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                quote:
                                Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:
                                Originally posted by UncleVic

The trouble with the Stehouwer stuff is that they don't sell the shaved ribeye at retail. I can, and do, buy the Beef Sizzlers, though, and they're excellent.

I hear ya there.. I think GFS stocks their brand, and can be ordered at the retail outlest stores. I've sent the company several emails over the last year with no replys.. One of them was to package the shaved ribeye in small consumer size packages (similar to the beef sizzlers).

Michael Hoffman

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 01/31/07 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks Uncle Vic. I have a GFS outlet not far frome. I'll check them out.

mollydingle

• Total Posts: 221
                                    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 01/31/07 4:38 PM (permalink)
                                    We're fortunate enough to live near a good butcher who cuts their own sandwich steaks. In fact, I bought some for dinner tonight- steak, mushroom, onion, green pepper and provolone on a good Piantedosi roll. harpoon IPA on the side.
                                    I'll think of you all...

eggsactley

• Total Posts: 128
                                      RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sun, 02/4/07 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                      I'd go with the deli roast beef first before I wasted my time with a steakumm. They have an awful watery fake consistency.

2005Equinox

• Total Posts: 219
                                        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 02/28/07 3:54 AM (permalink)
                                        I am another lucky one that has a local meat market that will do just such a thing. Their breakfast steaks are nearly the same thing just a bit thicker.

MFeatha

• Total Posts: 1
                                          RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sat, 03/10/07 4:47 PM (permalink)
                                          Can one use New York Steaks, cutting them up while frozen and cook?

Michael Hoffman

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sat, 03/10/07 6:01 PM (permalink)
                                            The GFS Outlet stores here don't carry the Stehouwer shaved ribeye. Darn!

UncleVic

• Roadfood Insider
                                              RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sat, 03/10/07 6:09 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

The GFS Outlet stores here don't carry the Stehouwer shaved ribeye. Darn!

Check to see if they stock it. You can order anything out of their catalog (wholesale) and have it delivered to the store. At least it's true around here.. (Home of GFS Foods). This winter has been crappy on my wallet (snow plow driver here), then there's collecting the money which is totally another story in itself. So my fun food purchases have been severely limited. "ARGHHHH".

Edit: I need to get some LeGout Chicken and Beef base this week.. I'll ask if they can supply it.. And what needs to be done, etc...

Michael Hoffman

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Sat, 03/10/07 6:25 PM (permalink)
                                                I just checked the catalog and they do have the shaved ribeye steaks by the case. Next time I'm up there I'll see if I can order one. Thanks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                  Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 54 of 54

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com