The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

where to get philly cheese steak thin meat?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54
zacholley

• Total Posts: 3
where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 3:05 PM (permalink)
I went to the grocery and they would'nt slice me any steaks thin enough for philly cheese steaks,

how can i make them if they wont sell me meat that thin??? thanks for any info

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 3:08 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by zacholley

I went to the grocery and they would'nt slice me any steaks thin enough for philly cheese steaks,

how can i make them if they wont sell me meat that thin??? thanks for any info

Ask whether they'll do it if you buy a whole ribeye. Or, buy one and stick it in the freezer for about an hour, then slice it yourself.

zacholley

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 3:10 PM (permalink)
      o ya i would plan on buying at least a whole steak heh, whats the best cut of meat to use though and why???

Ashphalt

• Total Posts: 1644
        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 3:27 PM (permalink)
        Some will disagree, but a reasonable alternative for home use is deli roast beef (the ultra-rare stuff, preferably cut from a new package). You can get that sliced thin, and there's enough juice in it to take a grilling.

zacholley

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 3:29 PM (permalink)
          hmmm that just reminds me of arby's haha, whats the best steak like cut though?? rib eye i assume??

Rick F.

• Total Posts: 1736
            RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 4:05 PM (permalink)
            I'm inclined to think that any reasonably lean and gristle-free cut would work if sliced thinly enough. My vote would be for a strip steak simply because IMnsHO it has the richest flavor.

Be aware, or beware, that I'm just speculating, though!

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17850
              RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 4:11 PM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by zacholley

o ya i would plan on buying at least a whole steak heh, whats the best cut of meat to use though and why???

Normally, I would think that if someone wanted to use ribeye he would buy the ribeye roast and cut the slices from that.

This is the small end:

http://animalscience.unl.edu/meats/id/RIB/Ribrosm.htm

This is the Roll:

http://animalscience.unl.edu/meats/id/RIB/Ribrorol.htm

planojim

• Total Posts: 175
                RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 4:52 PM (permalink)
                Michael is right. It's needs to be almost frozen before you can slice it that thin.

You need to find a good butcher. Whenever I get the urge for cheesesteaks, I call my butcher, tell him how much ribeye I'm going to need, and he puts it in the freezer so he can slice it when I show up.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                  RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 5:15 PM (permalink)
                  doesn't anybody use Steak-ums anymore?

...just kidding.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 5:24 PM (permalink)
                    I just cook a ribeye roast and then run it through my meat slicer. Yep another kitchen gadget that doesn't get used often, but so nice to have when you want it. I actually just purchased a couple of 4 lbd pre-cooked to rare frozen "prime" ribs off of a truck that comes around. I've had good luck with this guy in the past, good product. The plan is to make some sandwiches, maybe I'll post some pics when I get around to it.

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                      RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 10/25/06 5:49 PM (permalink)
                      I get mine from a Japanese market. They sell it as either sukiyaki or shabu shabu ribeye beef. Perfectly sliced and ready to use.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 10/26/06 12:29 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by Scorereader

doesn't anybody use Steak-ums anymore?

...just kidding.

There are several frozen brands up here, with Steak-ums (tm?) not being the top priced brand. Some are frozen slices of real meat, but others are "flaked and formed". I prefer the Quaker Maid product. I don't live in Philly, but I have seen popular places around here use the frozen portion control meat too.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
                          RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Fri, 10/27/06 1:31 PM (permalink)
                          This thread was on my mind when I saw some on sale at a local store on the way home last night. Leroux brand made in Holden, Mass. was $3.49 for a 12oz prepak, down from , I think 5.99 . It was "fresh" with a few ice crystals. I understand that meat and chicken is not legally frozen at a temp where water crystals form??? Anyway, the Leroux product is real sliced meat, not that processed stuff. I cooked it up and made cheesesteak subs as good as you could buy in Philly, at least IMO!! Leroux(sp?) also makes a very nice sausage line, available throughout southern New England. I'd be very surprised if you don't have a similar regional processer out in the OK area.

fabulousoyster

• Total Posts: 1855
                            RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Fri, 10/27/06 3:20 PM (permalink)
                            Buy skirt steak (beef diaphragm) and cut it thinner if you can. The best cut for fajitas too.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                              RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Fri, 10/27/06 4:27 PM (permalink)
                              Funny you should Mention:

I just happened to get an e-mail from cookscountry.com which is a spinoff of cooksillustrated.com on this very subject. They run America's Test Kitchen. Both are great web sites.
                              http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=3724&bdc=44688

Philly Cheesesteaks
                              There’s a cheesesteak joint on just about every street corner in Philly, and every one has its own devoted following. While heated debates continue to erupt over the best steak in town, we wondered if we could make one of these iconic sandwiches in our own kitchen. The bread and the cheese are important elements, but in the end we realized it’s all about the beef.

Test Kitchen Discoveries
                              Sirloin tips are tasty and much cheaper than the rib-eye steak used in most Philly steak shops. Instead of slicing ours, we cut the sirloin into cubes and pounded them into paper-thin slices.
                              In Philadelphia, Cheez Whiz is the traditional steak topper, followed by American and provolone cheeses. Our kitchen prefers provolone.
                              STEP BY STEP
                              The Secret to Paper-Thin Slices
                              1. Cut each sirloin tip with the grain into 1-inch cubes.
                              2. Stagger the beef cubes in a single layer 6 inches apart between two sheets of plastic wrap.
                              3. Using a meat pounder, pound the cubes until paper-thin. 4
                              4. When you're done, the slices of meat should be almost transparent.

Philly Cheesesteaks
                              Serves 4

We prefer thin slices of provolone cheese cut to order at the deli counter (packaged slices are too thick to melt quickly), but American cheese works well, too. If using Cheez Whiz, do not add it to the skillet; microwave 3/4 cup in a bowl until warmed through, then spoon it over the assembled sandwiches.

6 teaspoons vegetable oil
                              2 small onions , chopped
                              1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak tips , pounded until paper-thin
                              Table salt and ground black pepper
                              8 thin slices provolone cheese , cut in half
                              4 (6-inch) sub rolls , slit partially open lengthwise

1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.

2. Heat additional 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over high heat until smoking. Place half of steak slices in skillet (don't worry if they overlap) and season with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 1 minute per side. Remove pan from heat, layer 4 half-slices of cheese over some meat, top with more with meat, and finally 4 more half-slices of cheese. Cover pan with lid to melt cheese, about 1 minute. Divide meat and cheese between 2 rolls, top with half of onions, and pour juices accumulated in skillet over meat. Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and set aside while preparing remaining sandwiches.

3. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels and repeat step 2 with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, meat, cheese, and onions. Wrap sandwiches in foil and let sit for about 1 minute to let flavors come together. Serve.

fiesta313

• Total Posts: 10
                                RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Fri, 10/27/06 4:45 PM (permalink)
                                you can buy ultra thin rib eye from trader joes.

jamesb

• Total Posts: 31
                                  RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Tue, 10/31/06 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                  The local asian market always has THIN sliced ribeye steak where I live, which works just fine for Philly cheesesteaks. Unfortunately, they don't have Amoroso rolls so it doesn't quite taste the same. JAMESB

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
                                    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Tue, 10/31/06 8:18 PM (permalink)
                                    quote:
                                    Originally posted by Foodbme

Funny you should Mention:

I just happened to get an e-mail from cookscountry.com which is a spinoff of cooksillustrated.com on this very subject. They run America's Test Kitchen. Both are great web sites.
                                    http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=3724&bdc=44688

Philly Cheesesteaks
                                    There’s a cheesesteak joint on just about every street corner in Philly, and every one has its own devoted following. While heated debates continue to erupt over the best steak in town, we wondered if we could make one of these iconic sandwiches in our own kitchen. The bread and the cheese are important elements, but in the end we realized it’s all about the beef.

Test Kitchen Discoveries
                                    Sirloin tips are tasty and much cheaper than the rib-eye steak used in most Philly steak shops. Instead of slicing ours, we cut the sirloin into cubes and pounded them into paper-thin slices.
                                    In Philadelphia, Cheez Whiz is the traditional steak topper, followed by American and provolone cheeses. Our kitchen prefers provolone.
                                    STEP BY STEP
                                    The Secret to Paper-Thin Slices
                                    1. Cut each sirloin tip with the grain into 1-inch cubes.
                                    2. Stagger the beef cubes in a single layer 6 inches apart between two sheets of plastic wrap.
                                    3. Using a meat pounder, pound the cubes until paper-thin. 4
                                    4. When you're done, the slices of meat should be almost transparent.

Philly Cheesesteaks
                                    Serves 4

We prefer thin slices of provolone cheese cut to order at the deli counter (packaged slices are too thick to melt quickly), but American cheese works well, too. If using Cheez Whiz, do not add it to the skillet; microwave 3/4 cup in a bowl until warmed through, then spoon it over the assembled sandwiches.

6 teaspoons vegetable oil
                                    2 small onions , chopped
                                    1 1/2 pounds sirloin steak tips , pounded until paper-thin
                                    Table salt and ground black pepper
                                    8 thin slices provolone cheese , cut in half
                                    4 (6-inch) sub rolls , slit partially open lengthwise

1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and cook until softened and golden, about 5 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.

2. Heat additional 2 teaspoons oil in now-empty skillet over high heat until smoking. Place half of steak slices in skillet (don't worry if they overlap) and season with salt and pepper. Cook until meat is no longer pink, about 1 minute per side. Remove pan from heat, layer 4 half-slices of cheese over some meat, top with more with meat, and finally 4 more half-slices of cheese. Cover pan with lid to melt cheese, about 1 minute. Divide meat and cheese between 2 rolls, top with half of onions, and pour juices accumulated in skillet over meat. Wrap each sandwich tightly in foil and set aside while preparing remaining sandwiches.

3. Wipe skillet clean with paper towels and repeat step 2 with remaining 2 teaspoons oil, meat, cheese, and onions. Wrap sandwiches in foil and let sit for about 1 minute to let flavors come together. Serve.

I see this as a GREAT solution. Now. If the local grocery stores in my area only knew what sirloin tips were...

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                                      RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/8/06 7:57 PM (permalink)
                                      Thin sliced ribeye is the preferred but like it was mentioned Ive used deli sliced roast beef as a substitute, just add a lil steak sauce to help steam the onions. Steakums and their clones are semi-passable, they make a decent sandwich but not really a bonafied cheesesteak (I break them up before frying)

If your butcher wont slice the meat the way you desire it may be time to find a new meat man!

UncleVic

• Total Posts: 6025
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/8/06 9:18 PM (permalink)
                                        I'm no pro on Phillys (I live in Michigan).. BUT, during my online investigations over the last several years, I'v found that "Cheap Beef Roasts" is where it all began. All these Philly steak houses used the cheap cuts vs. prime rib as mentioned above. And also as mentioned above, semi froze is the way to slice them almost paper thin. I have an old meat slicer from the 70's, but it will never slice thin enough to my tastes... (Only runs like 50 to 75rpms per minute on the blade).. Any decent butcher should be able to accomidate you on the 1/8th (or less) inch paper cut your looking for..

hucknbock

• Total Posts: 26
                                          RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 11/16/06 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                          I was at a conference in Philly several years ago at which the mayor (don't remember which one) gave the welcoming speech. Of course, he had to describe the perfect cheesesteak. It is apparently the official position of the City that the best meat to use for a cheesesteak is the cheapest, coarsest cut you can find. That's the REASON they slice it thin -- because you couldn't grind your way through the gristle and such otherwise.

I remember that every time I see the Quizno's promo for their prime rib cheesesteak and laugh.

PapaJoe8

• Total Posts: 5504
                                            RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/29/06 1:01 PM (permalink)
                                            On Scores rec I bought some Steak-ums. Now I see he was just kidding. Hey, they were on sale cheep. Anyone know a way to fix these so they might be eatadble?

Nice tips on the slicing thin, freeing thing, thanks yall!
                                            Joe

Wendy62

• Total Posts: 81
                                              RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/29/06 1:05 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by PapaJoe8

On Scores rec I bought some Steak-ums. Now I see he was just kidding. Hey, they were on sale cheep. Anyone know a way to fix these so they might be eatadble?

Steak-Ums are not edible. They are an inferior form of shoe soling.

PapaJoe8

RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/29/06 1:19 PM (permalink)
                                                Nice to see you Windy! Oh, maybe the dog and cats will like them? Hmm, I can never resist a challange on how to fix not so good stuff so it's OK to eat. The animals like when I do that cause it seldom works.
                                                Joe

Wendy62

• Total Posts: 81
                                                  RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/29/06 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:
                                                  Originally posted by PapaJoe8

Nice to see you Windy! Oh, maybe the dog and cats will like them? Hmm, I can never resist a challange on how to fix not so good stuff so it's OK to eat. The animals like when I do that cause it seldom works.
                                                  Joe

And the same to you, PapaJoe. You've got some very cooperative pets there. Will you report back if you actually do find a way of making the Steak-Ums taste good?

PapaJoe8

• Location: Dallas... DFW area
                                                    RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/29/06 1:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    Thanks Windy! Sure I will report, might be a week or two. There in the freezer and kinda down on my list of things to cook. Hmm, maybe further down now, after your review of them?
                                                    Joe

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9575
                                                      RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Wed, 11/29/06 1:45 PM (permalink)
                                                      Steak-UM's are just a half notch above Mad Cow Meat!

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                                                        RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 11/30/06 9:07 AM (permalink)
                                                        I use a cut called Flap, it runs in size from about 8 to 12 pounds. This cut is great for steak tips or any dish that requires thin or tender cubed beef. Not recomended for beef stew though. With good knife skills this is easy to slice by hand. Chow Jim.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
                                                          • Location: Fresno, CA
                                                          RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 11/30/06 10:45 AM (permalink)
                                                          Has anyone tried Bella Brand presliced cheesesteak meat? I hear they are out of Philadelphia and they look pretty real.

sizz

• Total Posts: 1682
                                                            • Location: San Jose, CA
                                                            RE: where to get philly cheese steak thin meat? Thu, 11/30/06 10:57 AM (permalink)

12 Sani-Safe Scalloped Roast Slicer Knife
                                                            by Dexter-Russell/Russell Harrington Cutlery Inc.
                                                            Available from Acemart.com
                                                            $19.99

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 54

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com