whole hog cook out?

Author
chef joe
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 57
2005/06/30 00:02:01 (permalink)

whole hog cook out?

Hey Guys,
Need a lot of help and info on this one ASAP, if you can give any input, it would be gratefully appreciated. I'm out of town for a month on Sunday, on Friday we (my brothrs and I) have a lot of Nam Vets, from our units coming in for the weekend. we arte having a whole Hog Roast on Saturday. We have the hog, he's about 80#s undressed. We had a big brainstorming tonight and here are some thoughts. What we'd like to do, is soak it in a ice & brine solution for 24 hours, then give it a good wash and stuff it with whole chickens, stuffed with Andouille and whole Vidalia's, Celery and Fresh Sage. Baste it with Cider Vinegar, olive oil, mustard seed, celery seed , S&P until it reaches 165 - 170 This is done on a straight charcoal custom grill, no gas, temperture control etc. We are going to water bath in pans on top of the coals, etc., we have the bodies to watch it 24-7 and the adult beverages to go along with standing guard duty. Some of us haven't seen each other from back in the day when we humped the bush, so it should be great. Want to really make this SPECIAL. Any and all info about the best way to do this is so very much appreciated. We want it to be the best. Is this possible to do with the chickens and andouille. Any ideas for rubs, sauces, cooking times, etc., is gratefully appreciated. Thanks- Chef Joe!

16 Replies Related Threads

Ralph Isbill
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 01:59:20 (permalink)
    Hats off to you guysI know that you will have a heck of a great timeYou all deserve it.
    gottatravel
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 68
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 04:53:44 (permalink)
    I am not a resturant pro but I googled "roast a whole pig" and was greeted with detailed information almost exactly what you are asking, including the chickens. It also had pictures.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 07:32:50 (permalink)
    Can't give you any tips on roasting the hog but can offer a great side dish for it, courtesy of my late stepfather. Hope you have a wonderful time, chefjoe.

Sweet & Sour Kraut for 50

1 1/4 cups butter or margarine
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    10 medium size onions, halved and cut into thin slivers
    5 cups firmly packed brown sugar
    1 1/4 tsp. black pepper
    2 Tbs. salt
    10 - 6 oz. cans tomato paste
    10 - 1 lb. 11 oz. cans sauerkraut, undrained

In a large skillet, melt butter over low heat; add garlic and onions and cook until tender, but not brown. Mix sugar, salt, pepper, tomato paste, and sauerkraut juice in a large roasting pan. Add cooked onions, garlic and butter to roasting pan and mix. Stir in sauerkraut. Add water if too thick. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2-2 hours, stirring occasionally.
    (Can be made in electric roaster pans)
    Serves 50 as a side dish or 100 as a hot dog topping

Raine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 09:39:30 (permalink)
    Why do you want to brine it?

http://www.ibiblio.org/lineback/bbq/hog.htm
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 10:43:41 (permalink)
    THANKS FOR THE INFO? I will do the Kraut recipe, sounds great. Yeah!
    Raine, that was another guy's idea, because he brine's turkeys, I told him I didn't like the idea, so anyway that's out. I think he thought it would help to clean the meat better. I don't know, just a thought he had. I got some really good info off of google. So again everyone, as always. THANKS! I can always count on you guys, you are the best. Chef Joe!
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 11:00:03 (permalink)
    We always wrapped ours in chicken wire to keep it together -- keep in mind that you'll need a way turn it while cooking, and as it gets towards being done, it will really want to fall apart. Also, with the chickens in the center, you'll want to get THOSE to about 180 degrees, which implies you'll get the shoulders and hams to a little over 200. Also, I'd consider injecting rather than bring the whole beast -- a lot less work.

Hanving suffered through a number of years of multiple pig roasts using a jerry-rigged rotisserie, I read about Chinese roasing boxes with interest in the New York Times last year. Here is a link to one company that builds them (No endorsement -- i just googled them) http://www.lacajachina.com/

A friend has one and swears by it. I find the idea of cooking a whole pig in 4-5 hours attractive.
    Raine
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 196
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 11:10:36 (permalink)
    There is also this.

Cajun Microwave
    http://www.crawfishguy.com/cajunmicrowave1.html
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15277
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 11:15:47 (permalink)

That's an interesting write-up of the Chinese? cooker. Does anyone have any experience with that box?
    mvanpatten
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 19:48:06 (permalink)
    http://www.bgdailynews.com/pigroast/

Hopefully these pictures will inspire you and even give you some ideas.

Obviously our hog wasn't stuffed - after all, we were a couple of Yankees doing a whole hog roast in the southland.

Our southern "advisors" said there was no way we could roast a 250 lb (on the hoof) pig without staying up all night.

This website gave us the inspiration:
    http://cuban-christmas.com/pigroast.html

Not knowing if we would like the rub, we did half the pig rubbed and the other half naked... thus the different color.

We watched the temperature next to the hams closely, keeping it between 150 and 200 degrees, as close to 180 as we could by moving the coals or adding as needed. (Make sure you always have a grill just for getting charcoal going BEFORE adding to the roasting pit.)

BTW: we never turned the pig. By covering it with aluminum foil, it was just one big roaster.

We lined the bottom of the pit with unused newspaper printing plates. They are aluminum, thick enough to withstand the fire for hours.

We put the pig on about 8 am and it was ready to eat at 3 pm - even though our party didn't start until 7! So we ate the loins as an appetizer and reward!

Enjoy!
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/06/30 23:23:20 (permalink)
    Hey everyone,
    Thanks so much, I have just returned from "THE BIG PIG CONFERENCE" at my sister's home, that's where the deed is being done, her name is "MOE" and her husband is Larry (Nam = Blue Star - Combat Crew Chief). The hog is about 100- 11O #'s, she's pretty cleaned, still has some hair on her. We washed her real good with the hose and 3X's bagged her, head down with some big towels underneath and placed her in the garage fridge. Everyone has their jobs, so it should all work out out. There were some great one liner's about PIG'S as you can all guess. My Nam Vets and their families are in from all over the place, Texas, Kentucky, Chicago, NYC, Jersey, North Dakota, South Philly, Long Beach, Ca., and more to come tomorrow and Saturday and what is so cool is that we can put them all up in our joints. I know that we'll all eat, drink and be merry and re-hash the Nam, we'll re-fight the old fire fights, ambushes and mortar attacks and talk about the names of our friend's on the wall,those of us at the party, we are all so blessed, we lived to work, get married, grow old , have kid's and grand babies and the other's, that did not make it, they left us. What contribution's they could of made to all of this, we'll never know. Hey all you good people on this site, . enjoy the 4th of July, think of our brave men and women over there right now, doing their duty and GOD BLESS AMERICA! Thanks! Chef Joe!
    Willly
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 396
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/07/01 07:58:09 (permalink)
    Try a propane torch for the remaining hairs.. Enjoy the weekend!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/07/01 16:14:39 (permalink)
    Chefjoe: In Florida a couple of years ago our next door neighbor roasted a whole hog, about 80 lbs, for his Vietnam buddies and their families- about fifty people. I got up at 3AM to learn a bit about the preparation - which they let me join in for the price of a bottle of Scotch. The main thing I remember was that they had a big syringe and injected the meat all over with a vinegary marinade- there was no stuffing. It was sprinkled with salt pepper and some spices and herbs, inside and out, and cooked over oak at about 225 for 14 hours. It was delicious. The sides were all supplied by the wives- coleslaw, baked beans, macaroni salad and such.

Hope yours turns out great...

Cheers, John
    chef joe
    Hamburger
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/07/02 08:30:43 (permalink)
    Thank's everyone. The gang's all here, we started at the VFW yesterday and today is prep the hog day an get her on the wood this evening. Afterwards I am away for several weeks, I'll let you all know how it went when I return. Enjoy the 4th. Chef Joe!
    JimRains
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/07/08 15:37:47 (permalink)
    Joe,
    Having cooked a fair amount of pork in my time, I'd say "yes" to the Andouille, Vidalias, celery and sage, but "no" to the chickens. My experience says they may not get cooked thoroughly, but really it depends on how long you cook the pig. You might be happier taking the chickens, stuffing them with Vidalias and celery, then wrapping them inside banana leaves (if you're in the south you'll be able to find these) or foil and burying them in the coals for the last hour or two. As far as the pig goes, I'd say about 16 hours but you may find yourself going a bit longer. Plenty of adult beverages help.
    Have fun - nothing like slow-cooked pork.
    quote:
    Originally posted by chef joe

Hey Guys,
    Need a lot of help and info on this one ASAP, if you can give any input, it would be gratefully appreciated. I'm out of town for a month on Sunday, on Friday we (my brothrs and I) have a lot of Nam Vets, from our units coming in for the weekend. we arte having a whole Hog Roast on Saturday. We have the hog, he's about 80#s undressed. We had a big brainstorming tonight and here are some thoughts. What we'd like to do, is soak it in a ice & brine solution for 24 hours, then give it a good wash and stuff it with whole chickens, stuffed with Andouille and whole Vidalia's, Celery and Fresh Sage. Baste it with Cider Vinegar, olive oil, mustard seed, celery seed , S&P until it reaches 165 - 170 This is done on a straight charcoal custom grill, no gas, temperture control etc. We are going to water bath in pans on top of the coals, etc., we have the bodies to watch it 24-7 and the adult beverages to go along with standing guard duty. Some of us haven't seen each other from back in the day when we humped the bush, so it should be great. Want to really make this SPECIAL. Any and all info about the best way to do this is so very much appreciated. We want it to be the best. Is this possible to do with the chickens and andouille. Any ideas for rubs, sauces, cooking times, etc., is gratefully appreciated. Thanks- Chef Joe!
    Rusty246
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2413
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/07/08 15:55:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Raine

There is also this.

Cajun Microwave
    http://www.crawfishguy.com/cajunmicrowave1.html

With all the info given on the website, these look easy enough to make at home. Did I say that???
    SuzyCreamCheese
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: whole hog cook out? 2005/07/08 17:12:57 (permalink)
    We've had great luck with our La Cajachina. We even travel with it in the back of our pick up truck! We catered a wedding reception with it - it's pretty impressive and everyone wants to learn how it works. The pork is amazingly tender and quite juicy. (The pan drippings are wonderful with bread dipped in it . . . ) We marinate the pig at least overnight in a bitter orange marinade - check with your Cuban market or google it. We add extra garlic, of course, and salt. Then we filter the chunks out and inject the pig with more marinade.

If you get one - be sure and get 4 Heavy Duty Gloves - Welding gloves work well. It takes 2 people to flip the pig. Follow the directions - DO NOT OPEN IT WHILE IT IS COOKING until the very end when you flip the pig to darken the skin.

The pig is cooked butterflied, so it can't be stuffed. We can cook a 60 pound pig in ours in about 4 hours - with a LOT of charcoal.

As to brining - we brine a LOT of meats. It makes them very tender and juicy and does not add unwanted salt to it. It works something like a reverse osmosis unit.

Good luck with your whole hog!

SCC
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1