'wichcraft

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2008/01/10 18:06:02 (permalink)

'wichcraft

I went to lunch today at 'wichcraft in NYC and was pretty impressed.
I now that Billboy started a thread on 'wichcraft in Nov. but as a breakfast place. So these are a few comments on it as a lunch place.

First the negatives: Hipsters, l-o-n-g waits even for takeout, and too near Shake Shack in style, attitude and location for my taste. (tho now as a "chain" they have 12 locations in Manhattan)

The positives: well, the most important: the food.

I wanted a roast pork sandwich (coppa, pickled peeer relish & fontina) but it was Sold Out. Then I ordered meatloaf (cheddar, bacon, tomato relish) but it was Sold Out. Then the counterperson recommended something that he had to repeat for me 4 times because I didn't understand his accent. It was "slow roasted pork" sandwich (different from the "roasted pork" sandwich); it included red cabbage, jalepenos and mustard on a ciabatta roll. The best!!! Made in front of me (I saw the woman pull off the pork), spicy, and the toasted roll was delicious.
The other orders, all mostly toasted or put on the grill press, were tasty looking - different grill cheeses, pastrami, turkey, eggplant, etc.

Being that it is a sandwich place, the dessert are ice cream sandwiches (I had cinnamon, they also had peanut butter).

This is a "gourmet" sandwich place (prices $6.00 to $9.75, mostly upwards of 8.50) put given the "clientele" I didn't expect it would really be delicious, I just expected trendy and plastic.

So thanks, Tom (Colicchio) (my daughter went to kindergarten with his son, Dante!)

8 Replies Related Threads

MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/11 07:15:26 (permalink)
    I found the menu here: http://www.wichcraftnyc.com/menus/sample.html

Sure is lot of tasty sounding stuff. I just love the idea of a grits sandwich!

BTW, What is a "hipster"?
    billyboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2462
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/11 08:17:24 (permalink)
    Actually, the grits aren't a sandwich. Just grits with ham and cheddar mixed in.

Definition of a Hipster
    Hipster - One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat. (According to the Hipster Handbook) We see a lot of the these in NYC. Especially in the East Village and Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

NYNM, I've never seen any hipsters there when I went. I think I do need to go back though as I've only had breakfast there and haven't experimented with other sandwiches yet.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/11 08:35:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Actually, the grits aren't a sandwich. Just grits with ham and cheddar mixed in.

Definition of a Hipster
    Hipster - One who possesses tastes, social attitudes, and opinions deemed cool by the cool. (Note: it is no longer recommended that one use the term "cool"; a Hipster would instead say "deck.") The Hipster walks among the masses in daily life but is not a part of them and shuns or reduces to kitsch anything held dear by the mainstream. A Hipster ideally possesses no more than 2% body fat. (According to the Hipster Handbook) We see a lot of the these in NYC. Especially in the East Village and Williamsburg, Brooklyn.

NYNM, I've never seen any hipsters there when I went. I think I do need to go back though as I've only had breakfast there and haven't experimented with other sandwiches yet.

Oh, I get it now. The last three breakfast items are not sandwiches. I had imagined them stuffed into some sort of pita-like roll.

I definitely fall short of the hipster ideal. 20% body fat is more like it.
    Ashphalt
    • Total Posts : 1644
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/11 09:32:01 (permalink)
    I'm so glad to hear that there are still hipsters in NYC. I was afraid they'd all been displaced to Boston and San Francisco. It gives me a sense of continuity with the past. In my early 20s I tried to pass as one but when I moved into a one bedroom apartment in Washington Heights instead of a sleep-in kitchen over an all-night marijuana store in Alphabet City I lost all credibility.

BTW - a young food writer I know in the City claims that everything worthwhile in Manhattan has a line. Of course, she lives in Brooklyn.
    ChiTownDiner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3010
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/11 09:57:28 (permalink)
    Menu looks great...I would love to wash it down with a root beer float!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/11 12:25:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by billyboy

Billyboy (sorry to call you Billboy - just a typo)

Love your Hipster definition. How ironical! (hipster language...) The 'wichcraft I went to was on 20th St & Park (nearish to Shake Shack, as I said). Now this is not purest Hipsterland, I call it "mainstream employed Hipsterland" (an subgroup) since this location has many design firms, boutique ad agencies, etc. Which location did you go to?

Have you tried 'wichcraft for lunch? What sandwich do you recommend?

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2462
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/14 09:58:54 (permalink)
    Haven't tried lunch there, just breakfast. I always go to the 8th Street spot in the Village. I always love going into the Broadway Panhandler after and looking starry-eyed at all the beautiful kitchenware!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    RE: 'wichcraft 2008/01/14 13:23:21 (permalink)
    BTW, isn't 'wichcraft a great name?

For those who don't "get it", Tom Colicchio has other restaurants named "Craft", "Craftbar", and "Craftsteak"

Yum

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1