wicked health department

Author
jklstewart
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2006/06/15 01:45:49 (permalink)

wicked health department

The health department in my town is apparently extremely beaurocratic. The red tape is endless. They say that the commissary can't be a church kitchen because the church doesn't have the proper grease collection set-up. Does anyone have any suggestion?

14 Replies Related Threads

Billfish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 397
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/15 06:28:14 (permalink)
    Probably not what you want to hear,but a call to a plumber is in order.They would be able to fix you up with a code-approved grease interceptor and installation of same.
    Truckin
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/15 06:38:53 (permalink)
    My commissary is a small grocery with a cafe. The business connection is that I can buy supplies from them, so always look for some kind of give & take relationship. However, because it's small, and busy, I can't really get in to use the sinks until after 8pm, when they close. Pretty inconvenient. Wouldn't mind a nice commissary thread here. Wish I could find a new one, but most places are in the same boat - the kitchen is busy all the time, outsiders not exactly welcome. I've got my eye on a restaurant that is only open for dinner, but haven't made the connection yet. How about firehalls or caterers? Good luck with your search.
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/15 23:25:53 (permalink)
    jk, man i sure can't understand this one as even churches are inspected here. if your commissary has a valid permit then you should not have a problem. but then again i live in florida and thats a tuff state so heaven hwlp us yours might be worst
    V960
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/16 13:15:42 (permalink)
    This kind of to the side but the inspectors need to go by the rules...not interpret them. If the rules say a six inch gap is acceptable but the inspector says he like to see four inches...tough. He might threaten to make your miserable but take it to the next level. City councils hold open meetings and you can REALLY make the inspector's life miserable by showing up at one w/ an appointment, copies of the rules and pictures of your installation.

I am assuming you are not in violation of the rules. If you are then you need to fix it. Contributions to churches are tax deductable.
    boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/17 15:39:00 (permalink)
    Tell you what, The Health Dept. in my county recently, without any warning made it illeagle to serve food from our outdoor pit B.B.Q. grill without another license in addition to our regular restaurant license. They want $1,000.00 to expedite the paper work so that we can get it in time for our anual 4th of July cookout. The actual license only costs $300.00. What a ripoff. I agree that we need a way to regulate the industry but this stinks of (dare I say it) BRIBERY!!! I am a chef for the American Legion in Wickenburg AZ. We are a non-profit organization and we just cant afford to lose what is one of our more lucrative functions. Oh well I guess that the Government knows best what is best for all of us.
    V960
    • Total Posts : 2429
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/17 17:11:17 (permalink)
    Since you are associated w/ the American Legion I will assume theere is a judge in the membership. Joe Blow operating a road side bbq place is one thing...AL bbq parties once per year are another. FIGHT IT.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/17 19:37:11 (permalink)
    Hi,
    I just had to post on this one. What I really adore about the Health Dept. is this. If you are a private tax paying by the rules kind of guy, you end up under the microscope. But if you are under the guise of the Not for profit organizational umbrella, Hey!....you're okay! I was watching the other day when an un-named fire Dept. was selling hot dogs. Gloves anyone? Health inspection...NAH just kiddin'..... having to have all the same requirements as I do..Nope, no can do. I have all the over head, permits, and investment to run business, however I am suppose to compete against all the Not for profits who do not really have any investment outside of time. I realize that all the organizations are in it to raise funds. I am too. I wish the playing field was just a little more level, ya know. Now I know some might say that I am being a Grinch but that's not the case.
    JMHO
    Myway
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/18 00:14:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

Hi,
    I just had to post on this one. What I really adore about the Health Dept. is this. If you are a private tax paying by the rules kind of guy, you end up under the microscope. But if you are under the guise of the Not for profit organizational umbrella, Hey!....you're okay! I was watching the other day when an un-named fire Dept. was selling hot dogs. Gloves anyone? Health inspection...NAH just kiddin'..... having to have all the same requirements as I do..Nope, no can do. I have all the over head, permits, and investment to run business, however I am suppose to compete against all the Not for profits who do not really have any investment outside of time. I realize that all the organizations are in it to raise funds. I am too. I wish the playing field was just a little more level, ya know. Now I know some might say that I am being a Grinch but that's not the case.
    JMHO
    Myway

Hear! Hear! You obviously made the mistake that your supposed to make a living. I can't put up my own signage because I don't have the intestinal fortitude to deal with bureucrats. Including cousin Billy Bob the health dept. dude who got the job from through his auntie because the used car lots not doin' so swell. I'll keep running concessions for those who are better and braver than myself.
    I have a great lot with lots of parking. No zoning to speak of. Near a country club. Unbelievable exposure coming from both directions on a US Hwy. State Lake right up the road and a lot of hunters, fisherman, canoeing etc..
    I gave up trying to get this guy to get with the program and I'm not a quiter. All I wanted was a mobile/seasonal food service without indoor seating. Maybe a pit in the future. Problem is the grey areas in the state codes that allow them color in at will with a great big crayon. I could even deal with that if they could stay in the lines and quit changing colors on a whim. I'll comply just stop changing the rules. Especially after I've dropped some dough into it! Gee whiz if only he was smart enough to at least give me a ballpark kick back figure. I'm American , no problem there.
    What galls me is we have a church for every man woman and child in this area and they seem to be able to set up a card table and sell whatever leftovers the won't eat at home to expound on the vitues of their particular flavor of religion. No permits required it seems! Never mind the pastors or what ever they are drive better rides, pay no rent and get paid and don't ever sit at the card table. That and the fact they are tax excempt. I'm far from a greedy man, I just want to make a living too. Funny thing is I've been asked to do free catering at few fund raisers. Being the moron I am...
    For now I'll just keep taking to the road for little stretches and do my little hog roasts and such but if you have read any of my posts,you may know I have an elderly mama who can't be left alone for any length of time. She's my #1 priority so I guess I'm going to slip my local guy a couple of yard notes and a new box of crayons and see if he gets the big picture. I guess he may be smarter than I think!
    I broke the first rule to be fair. I asked what criteria I needed to meet first and explained simply but in detail what I wanted to do. When his eyes's glazed over I knew I was in trouble. I should have just put it together and then submited my plan. I probably should'nt have asked him if english was his first language either.
    Scariest words you'll ever hear, "I'm with the gov'mint and I'm here to help"(myself)!
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/18 02:00:02 (permalink)

Flashback! 1967 . . . I'm working in the meat dept. in my parents grocery store (2nd generation, in Sioux City, IA). We ALWAYS put down sawdust every morning because it was a tile floor and would get very slippery from blood, fat, etc..

It was swept up every night. One day the city health inspector arrived and almost had a hysterectomy cuz we had (GASP!) SAWDUST on the floor! He informed us that it was now illegal and we could no longer do it." />

I laughed 'til I cried about a month later when he made a return visit to check our compliance to the new "No Sawdust" rule. He entered the meat dept., stepped on a piece of fat, and went down on his ass!

( I thought my Mother was gonna' bite her tongue off trying not to laugh at him!)

Zman - formerly of the meat dept.
    myway
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 310
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/18 14:37:18 (permalink)
    Zman,
    I just got done laughing until I thought I was gonna die! That is a great story! But I have to ask, did you hover over his his prostrate body and say," See, I told you so".
    Myway
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/18 14:57:35 (permalink)
    Pat T Hat wrote “ I asked what criteria I needed to meet first and explained simply but in detail what I wanted to do. When his eye’s glazed over I knew I was in trouble”.

I'm sorry Pat but that made me LMAO. The health Dept here in Springfield isn't really that hard to get along with although they made me write a hazard analysis critical control point study on how I cook BBQ. So I did it and I do a killer job on that type of thing. When I got done it was 10 pages long and they were blown away. My inspector said this is "what all HACCP reports are going to have to look like from now on”. (by the way if anyone needs a copy just email me) But on the other hand our local building and zoning departments will drive you crazy. If you go in and are straight with them, they'll tell you all you have to do is this and this. Usually one or two things. Then when you get those done and return they say oh yes and you have to do this and this. Now if your not familiar with how they operate this can go on forever. But having dealt with them before I walk in and usually say very quietly "now cut the BS and give me the entire list NOW." I've had the entire office in the reception area because I raised so much hell before. LMAO. Now I have my attorney call get the information in writing and then walk in with everything done, pictures, a copy of his and their letters, and dare them to reject my efforts to comply. I had to deal with them last week and they want a letter from and engineer saying my concession trailer won't blow over in a storm. But I have a friend that's one of the most respected in his field and Friday he said ("They want WHAT") lol. He said I'll write it but they are idiots. What are you going to do? Most of the time you can go over the zoning depts. head but it gets costly and can be so frustrating.
    Jack@drofBBQ.com

boyardee65
    • Total Posts : 1460
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/18 15:48:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by myway

Hi,
    JMHO
    Myway
    I agree that the industry needs to be regulated. All of our chefs and volenteers are required to get a health card to handle food. I have been a professional chef for over 20 years and have never let my health card lapse. We have a kitchen that we serve about 3-4 meals per week so we have regular inspections(3-4 per year) I was just questioning the (expedition) of the paper work. We play by the same rules as every other restaurant in the county. We dont get special dispensation just because we are a not for profit org. No offense taken BTW.
    Zman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/18 16:33:14 (permalink)
    myway

No hovering, I just turned to another employee and said: "ya know, a little sawdust might have prevented that".

My father quickly grabbed me by the arm and I worked in the produce dept. for the rest of the day - - -
    prisonchef
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 296
    RE: wicked health department 2006/06/19 16:52:04 (permalink)
    zman,
    if it is of consolation i hope this helps some.
    as you know i work 2 jobs while getting our operation going as i hate debt and just won't do it if it isn't cash on the barrel head.
    in my part time job at the bbq joint the floor gets really slick so to keep my 55 year old butt upright i just sprinkle salt on the floor. works like a charm it does.
    at the last inspection the inspector asked what it was and i advised him it was iodized salt and regarded as GRAS at room temp.
    got one heck of a belly laff (and this guy is as hard as nails).
    passed at 100% no notations made other then this
    "extra care taken to ensure employee safety"
    give it a try!!!!!!!!!!!!
    jack
    ps. funny part is i never slip in my rig on friday thru sunday and it is diamond plate steel but then again every 2 hours i sweep and mop it down. guess using good mop water must work
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1