windy weather

Author
Pwingsx
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2170
2003/11/13 19:10:02 (permalink)

windy weather

This is off topic of food completely, but I was just reading internet news about bad storms across the midwest, where they mentioned winds of up to 74mph gusts.

I am not trying to be funny here, but is that really that terrible? I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and we get windstorms like that quite a bit, and it doesn't seem to faze us that much. We had some 80mph gusts in Boulder just day before yesterday and we still drove around and did things. Some power lines did come down, and some trees fell, but it doesn't seem to stop things dead.

They are known as Chinook winds, they're quite warm (we can go from temperatures in the thirties at night to the fifties when they blow), and we get them in the winter months, particularly January and February.

I guess I'm just surprised because it was news on MSNBC and Drudge, but when it happens here, we don't notice it that much. It's a topic for a day and then we move on.

I guess we're lucky because we don't get many tornadoes and no hurricanes.

Just curious. I'm something of a weather nut. What happens to youse guys?

20 Replies Related Threads

BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/13 21:34:18 (permalink)
    You think that's bad, out here in Los Angeles, one mis directed water sprinkler can cause a Traffic Jam for miles. I once threw out a cup of ice from a soft drink and 7 cars skidded off the freeway. LOL
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/13 22:32:37 (permalink)
    Here in S.C. we regularly get summer thunderstorms that have 50 or 60 mph wind gusts. If we had alot of rain in the previous days, and the ground is saturated then occasionally we get trees toppled over !! But if it has been dry, then we just get some branches broken !!

Now if you want to talk about wind ..... I went through hurricane Hugo in '89 and we got sustained winds of nearly 130 mph !! Now that you worry about !!!
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/13 23:32:46 (permalink)
    In January 1946 I was a crewman on a Liberty ship carrying a couple of hundred GIs home from Europe. The ship was not equipped for passengers- the GI were in cots in the holds with rudimentary sanitary facilities and they ate in shifts all day long from our small galley. The ship was light, the weather was awful in the North Atlantic and we pitched and rolled all over the ocean.

An AB from New Orleans we all knew as Joe Bannanas was watching the GI stagger to the rail and throw up whatever was in their stomachs. I heard him say to a group of puking GIs , "This is the worst storm I ever seen. (pause) And I hear it's gonna get worse"....
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/13 23:48:20 (permalink)
    I wish we got more "regular" winds around Austin. It seems to alternate between "Still" and "Tornado" here.

I miss the 4 seasons we had in Missouri, but Austin is a magical place. We have actually been blessed with a number of breezy days this Fall, and as usual, I can't complain.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 00:28:18 (permalink)
    I'm just leaving the windy midwest for the winter. I think it was just a slow weather news day.After all,we do get tornados every spring.I've been through 3 major hurricanes down in the Keys. The smaller storms (less than 100 mph) hardly get noticed. What I can't believe is that there has been no press on the ladybug invasion. I have literally 1000s.They came in about a week ago and are everywhere!
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 06:48:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pwingsx

This is off topic of food completely, but I was just reading internet news about bad storms across the midwest, where they mentioned winds of up to 74mph gusts.

I am not trying to be funny here, but is that really that terrible? I live in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains, and we get windstorms like that quite a bit, and it doesn't seem to faze us that much. We had some 80mph gusts in Boulder just day before yesterday and we still drove around and did things. Some power lines did come down, and some trees fell, but it doesn't seem to stop things dead.

They are known as Chinook winds, they're quite warm (we can go from temperatures in the thirties at night to the fifties when they blow), and we get them in the winter months, particularly January and February.

I guess I'm just surprised because it was news on MSNBC and Drudge, but when it happens here, we don't notice it that much. It's a topic for a day and then we move on.

I guess we're lucky because we don't get many tornadoes and no hurricanes.

Just curious. I'm something of a weather nut. What happens to youse guys?

To answer your original question. Winds to that degree are not common everywhere. Here in the east we are coming into about 25 hours of winds gusting up to 60 MPH (Cold Winds, by the way) Usually we only see winds like this during huricanes or winter storms. Most storms that bring these winds only last a short time (maybe a couple of hours) Since our area does not get these kind of winds normally, the damage from them is greater since the buildings are not constructed for them, the dead trees & branches have not been regularly brought down. I am sure if the Rocky Mountain area would get a sustained ( 2 - 3 weeks) period of 90 degree weather with a 90%humidity, it too would make the news. For me, however, that's called August.
    Pwingsx
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 11:21:49 (permalink)
    Yup, OCDreamer, 90 degrees with 90% humidity would be a huge thing around here. We are lucky that we get heat without humidity.

Ok, I agree, must've been a slow newsday. I hoped that people weren't such wimps as I felt I was being led to believe.

We've had windstorms in the past where we gusted up to 120 mph, but never sustained winds like in a hurricane. I think, maybe, just once, I would like to experience one. That, and a tornado. If I could just be sure I'd get through it alive and undamaged.
    Lone Star
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 11:52:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie
    but Austin is a magical place.

Yeah - we know what y'all are smoking over there
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 11:54:23 (permalink)
    We've been getting some of the same winds here in southern New England, though perhaps not as severe as some (gust up to about 50 mph is what I've been hearing.) I don't think that, aside from the unlucky folks who has had a tree fall on their car or some similar disaster, it has been more than a mild annoyance and source of conversation for most. Some people did lose power overnight, though I expect it's back by now or will be soon. It is rather cold, near freezing this morning, so that couldn't have been fun. The talking heads were going on during the news this morning about the potential danger of trucks on bridges over the bay during gusts, but that seemed more speculative than actual. Winds this heavy are not exactly normal here, but neither are they unknown from time to time, and not only during hurricanes. Howard Nemerov had a poem about this time of year that repeats the line "the old hills hunch before the north wind blows." And so they do. (The full text of the poem, "A Spell Before Winter", is[url='http://www.litza.org/porch/poetry/spell']here[/url]. Only a few typographical errors.)

To turn toward food, one thing about this weather is makes one think of seasonally appropriate dishes. I don't mean only holiday fare, but good soups, a pork roast with apples, or even a simple roasted chicken. We'll be having the latter tonight, with roasted potatoes, and lighting the first fire of the season.
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 12:08:44 (permalink)
    Oh, please !!!!!

Is no one going to connect the dots between these continental winds and last week's two threads re. Mexican food (in both Connecticut and San Francisco)?

Must I always be the overtly waggish contributor to these threads? I'm simply running out of gas.
    Kristi S.
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 712
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 12:12:37 (permalink)
    A little windy andcoooool here today in the Tampa Bay area - woke up to a refreshing 51 degrees this morning. Sunny, though. Now I have the craving for sloppy joes and some warm sweet potato pie.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 12:33:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie
    but Austin is a magical place.

Yeah - we know what y'all are smoking over there

i95
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 14:07:01 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

We like to leave these things to you. I know it's not much, but it seems to make you so happy.

Pitifully, it does, indeed.
    Route 11
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 755
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 14:09:00 (permalink)
    I dunno, I just think the weather really blows for everyone." />
    i95
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 14:41:08 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by i95

quote:

We like to leave these things to you. I know it's not much, but it seems to make you so happy.

Pitifully, it does, indeed.

Isn't it nice to know I'm looking out for you?

You, Satan, the holder of my mortgage, my money-hungry kids, my dogs and my ever suspicious wife (however not necessarily in that order).
    i95
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 15:06:05 (permalink)
    quote:

That's what I say to my clients when I try to sell them something that's more expensive than anything they've ever bought before, but has gone on sale from a price that they would have laughed at orginally.

Isn't it lovely? I saw this, and thought of you! Isn't it nice to know I'm looking out for you?

That's sales talk for hold on to your wallet.

Kind of like "I feel your pain."
    Pwingsx
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 15:15:57 (permalink)
    Paulie,

Out here along the front range, we usually wait until a semi or two blows over, and then we'll allow that it's breezy.

The winds don't hit Denver as much -- it's much further out on the plains than most people are led to believe. Remember Dynasty? The opening scenes always made it look like Denver was in the foothills. It's not, it's on the plains. Although the suburbs are getting so built up, they're there in places.

One day we'll be one big strip city from Ft Collins to Colorado Springs.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13497
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 17:24:12 (permalink)
    I live in Knoxville, TN in the Tennessee Valley where because of its location the wind rarely blows.

This particular storm made the wind blow hard and it topple lotsa trees and thus knocked out power and cable. Power I can tolerate but when cable goes, it ain't good

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4013
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 19:10:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

You think that's bad, out here in Los Angeles, one mis directed water sprinkler can cause a Traffic Jam for miles. I once threw out a cup of ice from a soft drink and 7 cars skidded off the freeway. LOL

That was you?" />
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4013
    RE: windy weather 2003/11/14 19:17:03 (permalink)
    quote:

Hey B.G., what the heck was going on out there today? 5 inches of hail? And how much rain?

Is that a sign of the apocolypse?

Oddly enough, I live about 15 miles away from where the hail was-----we had a moderate amount of rain (nothing exceptional) and that was it. It was a very localized storm cell------covered probably a few sqare miles and that was it. I still can't get over the pictures on the news though-----drifts (of hail, even though it looked like snow) several feet high in the area-----an apartment building whose underground parking filled to within 8 inches of the roof with water----etc.

As for it being a sign of the apocolype----I don't think so. If it was, the ticket scalpers, Entertainment Tonight and shock-jocks would be spreading the word here by now!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1