worlds best diners

Author
garykg6
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 358
2003/07/11 12:34:13 (permalink)

worlds best diners

let's stop all the BS and get to the real deal, I've lived in jersey,worked in NYC and grew up in Maine, after listening to all the pretenders, it's about time you learned about THE BEST DINERS EVER, first, The Brunswich Diner in Brunswick ,Maine....run down,we really only tolerate folks from 'somewhere else', food to kill for, coffee,breakfasts you can't finish, chicken,steaks,burgers, it's all there
and then there's Moody's Diner(find out exactly where it is on your own,folks from Maine probably won't tell you either). On a bitter cold night,wind howling through your very bones, you approach Moody's(open 24hrs) as the faithful approach Lourdes, with reverance and humbleness.... a slab of pie oh,for a chicken dinner, meatloaf, noodles, my God, the gates of heaven are within reach...amen,amen

24 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4636
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 13:13:49 (permalink)
    If these folks don't have the roadfood spirit of opening their arms for us, why would we want to go?
    Your post seems to belong on the anti-roadfood website, not roadfood
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 13:37:36 (permalink)
    Pretty confusing post to me

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 13:39:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bill voss

If these folks don't have the roadfood spirit of opening their arms for us, why would we want to go?

I've never been to either of the joints in question, so I am answering in ignorance (in part), but I think sometimes the point of roadfood can be simply the food itself. If local crotchetyness towards outsiders is part of the experience, I am willing to overlook that if the food is truly superior. Same as people overlook (some even find charming) surly waiters in New York Delis. Sometimes the look I am given by people of a different ethnicity upon entering an establishment that caters primarily to that ethnicity can be offputting, but I realize they are not acting out of hatred for the gringo. They are saying to themselves: Can this gringo really like our food? And usually a cleaned plate combined with asking for my chow extra spicy can be enough to endear me to the owners/waiters, and they are smiling by meal's end. (So am I).
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7911
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 16:01:23 (permalink)
    quote:

No, the anti road food website belongs to all the chain lovers..IE Waffle House, White Castle, etc.
    wrfc5
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 16:14:42 (permalink)
    I've been to both of the Maine diners mentioned, and was treated more like family than a tolerated outsider. Maybe it was my southern accent signaling me as someone from sufficiently far away, but more likely the people there are real and friendly, not the tired stereotypes he makes them out to be. I go up to Maine for lobster season every year--the people are welcoming and undeserving of the labels posted here.
    RockyB
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 16:21:31 (permalink)
    The Maine Diner..Route-1 in Wells.
    RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 17:17:41 (permalink)
    I vote for the Vale-Rio diner in Phoenixville, PA. Good food, sweet waitresses, and hardly changed from the late 40's. It's a supremely 'dinery' diner.
    Linda Gebhardt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 19:34:13 (permalink)
    I'm new to this board. I just wanted to add my two cents worth about my experience at the Brunswick Diner. If your not from there forget about getting a meal there. They tend to hate outsiders. My hubby and I frequently take trips to Maine and we eat in mostly diners. I have never experienced such rude people in all my dining experiences as we have at the Brunswick. We were completely ignored by the wait staff.What is it with these people?Do they truly dislike outsiders that much?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 19:53:36 (permalink)
    Feeling welcome and friendly service are both important elements of a happy dining experience....but that is a 2-way street. The customer should be accountable for his/her behavior also.
    If you are snubbed or receive poor service while others around you seem to be getting "a better deal" you may have a reason to complain.
    I am not a fan of the current "snob appeal" of the foodservice folks at some up-scale locations.
    The answer being, try it. if the place doesn't meet your requirements, don't go back. I have invoked that rule several times and ,in general, it works for me.
    We have stopped at the Maine Diner in Wells several times over the last ten years. It is satisfactory, but I wouldn't rank it in the top 10 of my choices for a dinner on the road.
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/11 21:38:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    The Mayor writes Feeling welcome and friendly service are both important elements of a happy dining experience....but that is a 2-way street. The customer should be accountable for his/her behavior also.

Amen to that. It's always important to treat folks with respect and decency, especially people who are working as hard as those in the food business. And that's especially true at the wonderful sort of establishments that we talk about here, so many of which are run independently by people putting in long hours. That said, I've never had time for the idea that rude service is somehow charming. I don't mind a bit of brusqueness if it's intended to move a long line quickly, nor do I expect to be treated like some sort of grand poobah. I understand (and am grateful for) the difference between a roadhouse and Alain Ducasse. But even in places with food that I really love - Santarpio's Pizza in East Boston comes to mind - I have a certain mental reservation against them due to unwarranted rude treatment that I've encountered there (and besides, Santarpio's crust is a bit too flimsy.) And when it comes to a place where the food is merely good-to-acceptable, bad service is a killer. I've found too many other great places out there to make me feel I need to deal with attitude. Most of the time, at least...

JL
    Linda Gebhardt
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/12 12:35:19 (permalink)
    I could understand if we were being unreasonable or rude, but we quietly walked in , waited for the waitress to clean the table and than she waved us over to seat us and promptly ignored us the rest of the time. We quietly sat and waited for someone to acknowledge us. After 20 minutes of waiting and watching other folks that came in after us get service we decided to leave. This happened last time to us and we just waited a while and called the waitress over and politely asked for two cups of tea and placed our order. Believe me I know how hard these people work. We eat out at our local diner at least 4 times a week, and can see the work they put in. I just don't think that the wait staff has the right to snub certain people. We are two middle aged adults with good manners and respect for others. To me rudeness is just not called for at this diner.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15304
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/12 13:49:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    I just don't think that the wait staff has the right to snub certain people..... To me rudeness is just not called for at this diner
    I certainly agree with you Linda, I would not try this place again. There are , as they say, 'Too Many Other Fishes In The Sea!'
    jgleduc
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/12 13:58:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Linda Gebhardt writes
    To me rudeness is just not called for at this diner.

Oh I agree - I didn't intend to be critical of your post or imply that you were at fault, I was just making a general statement. I'm not familiar with the diner in question, so I wasn't commenting on it, but I share your distaste for rude treatment. Having lived most of my life in an insular New England tourist destination, I'm familiar with the disdain that sometimes is shown in such places toward outsiders. But that's not saying there's a good excuse for it.

Not pretending to be able to judge the "best" diner - if such a thing can be said to exist, aside from the diner closest at hand - I'll cast a vote my local favorite, the Modern Diner, which I've praised elsewhere on this website. They do a fine belgian waffle.

JL
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 119
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/12 14:30:29 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Linda Gebhardt

she waved us over to seat us and promptly ignored us the rest of the time. We quietly sat and waited for someone to acknowledge us. After 20 minutes of waiting and watching other folks that came in after us get service we decided to leave.

Needless to say, what I posted earlier about tolerating a degree of rudeness in exchange for superior chow goes out the window if you can't even get the chow in the first place!
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/12 17:37:51 (permalink)
    I don't know whether this is technically a diner, because it looks like just a square building standing on its own. But for those who don't have to have that 1950 Kullman or Silk City, I implore you to try the White Horse Diner on the Pike of the same name in Berlin here in the beautiful Garden State of New Jersey. I've been to many a diner in my almost 50 years, but never have I felt more like a regular than in this diner. And we just started going there early this year. The owners' names are unpronounceable and it just doesn't matter. When you look at the man's face upon arrival, you expect him to be mean - he just has that kind of face - yet he'll greet you like you're family! But not in some phony way like, "Hi, I'm Josh and I'll be your host for this evening". I hate that, don't you? The young men who are waiters are so charming, so efficient, so pleasant and so quick that you think there's something going on...as if there's a catch. I know what it's like to feel like I should have gone someplace else, and me and mine expected that here the first time. But it didn't happen and hasn't since.

Here's another thing that blew us away. Mini-meals (and forget about the word "mini" - they're like regular meals) average $5.99 or $6.99. Seafood might be a dollar or two more. I keep coming back to the London Broil. I can't help it. It's really good. My daughter's addicted to the Monday night prime rib special for $9.99. And trust me, this is some piece of meat. You get salad or soup, dessert, two veggies with it. It's plenty to eat. Can you possibly believe a hamburger and french fries for $3.25? And it's not one of those where you have to buy a bagful of that size to fill you up, either. It's a nice size. What if you don't have much money? This hamburger and french fries (those crispy ones are the ones they have here) platter is totally worth it; more than a Burger King or whatever where you're forced to pay something like $5.99 for a lunch like that (and feel like you're dying afterwards from the grease).

When you sit in non-smoking, as we always do, you don't smell the smoke from the smoking area, either. And you don't have to walk through it. It's not a huge place and I think it has a hometown-y feel. But I'm telling you, they're so nice to everybody there and I think the food's great. We used to eat there every Monday night and we try to get back as often as we can. It's about 10 minutes from me and if you're ever going down the White Horse Pike on the way down the shore, give it a go. Diner or no diner, the White Horse Diner (and PLEASE do not confuse it with the Berlin Diner, which is a little further down the Pike on the left hand side, has that "diner-ish" look, but the experience in total was enough to have us racing back to this one). Oh, and don't confuse it with the Palace (formerly Pallas) Diner on the Berlin Circle. Not the same one. This one is right near Cross Keys Road.

Sorry for such a long post but besides the food and prices, the service is wonderful. You'd think they paid me to write this LOL.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/13 14:35:25 (permalink)
    We pulled into Bar Harbor, Me. about 10 pm with two very tired and hungry children in tow. Went into a srorefront lunchroom hoping to get something- anything and were informed by the teenage girl behind the counter that she was closing up and, "sorry, no food". Couldn't we get something to take out? No, sorry". Just then there was a roar of motorbikes and five young rough looking bikers came in and asked for food. The poor girl was visibly frightened but still said ,"sorry, no food".

One of the bikers leaned over the counter, his face in hers, and said very firmly, "We just got here non-stop from Ohio, and we're hungry and we're not leaving without something to eat". Another older woman came out from the kitchen, looked over the tense situation and allowed as how she could heat up some hotdogs for all of us.

The girl went about splitting a lot of hot dogs and grilling them and then two local guys showed up from the kitchen - glaring pretty strongly at all of us - our innocent little family and the five grimey bikers. We ate our dogs in near silence, under close scrutiny, but after a few minutes the bikers had gotten the locals talking, everyone loosened up, and we even got a hot cup of cofee brewed up in a hurry. Those Maine folks turned out to be warm and friendly, as did the bikers, just a nice bunch of new High School graduates on their first trip to see saltwater.
    MoBob
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/07/13 16:29:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

No, the anti road food website belongs to all the chain lovers..IE Waffle House, White Castle, etc.

WHITE CASTLE....ANTI ROAD FOOD???? CHAIN LOVERS????

WANDERING?....WHAT'S WRONG?....HAVE YOU LOST YOUR OPEN MIND????
    LizzieR
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 92
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/15 21:35:19 (permalink)
    Just returned from Maine and made special side trips to the Maine Diner in Wells and Moody's in Waldoro. We were pleased with both, despite the long lines of tourists like us. Service was good, food was terrific and the prices reasonable.
    RC51Mike
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 446
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/16 07:41:08 (permalink)
    The Elgin Diner in Camden, NJ gets my vote for "best." A '61 (I think) Kullman, it is spotless, a staggering array of desserts baked on the premises, huge menu of excellent food. Fried whiting, eggs and home fries for breakfast is my favorite.
    Maynerd
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/16 14:01:30 (permalink)
    There's a great little diner in Dallas -The Market Diner- on Harry Hines Blvd. Near Market Hall. Only opened for breakfast and lunch during the work week. I believe it's owned by a Greek Family. They are always packed at lunch, and for good reason. You feel like a regular the moment you walk in. Waitresses that newspaper articles have been written about. Food coming up from the kitchen grill counter to lust after.Lunches so big that if you walk away hungry, you must have a hollow leg.I always try to get a counter stool to watch the magic going on in the kitchen.
    Gamma
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/18 12:20:47 (permalink)
    Have to put in a plug for what my granddaughter calls "our diner" - The Post Road Diner in Norwalk, CT. Friendly folks, great baked goods made on the premises and daily specials that really are special. Favorites (in no particular order) are:
    Tuscan omelet - with mozzarella, roasted red peppers, pesto sauce
    Buckwheat pancakes - served with real syrup when you ask for it, and a side of really delicious sausage or bacon
    Gorgonzola burger served over a salad
    anything Greek
    Buffalo salad with spicy chicken breast and just the right amount of blue cheese
    Yankee pot roast
    vegie sandwich on foccaccio
    coconut custard pie
    Um, I've gotta go now. It's lunchtime and this is making me too hungry to think!
    johnnym
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 30
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/18 15:57:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

We pulled into Bar Harbor, Me. about 10 pm with two very tired and hungry children in tow. Went into a srorefront lunchroom hoping to get something- anything and were informed by the teenage girl behind the counter that she was closing up and, "sorry, no food". Couldn't we get something to take out? No, sorry". Just then there was a roar of motorbikes and five young rough looking bikers came in and asked for food. The poor girl was visibly frightened but still said ,"sorry, no food".

One of the bikers leaned over the counter, his face in hers, and said very firmly, "We just got here non-stop from Ohio, and we're hungry and we're not leaving without something to eat". Another older woman came out from the kitchen, looked over the tense situation and allowed as how she could heat up some hotdogs for all of us.

The girl went about splitting a lot of hot dogs and grilling them and then two local guys showed up from the kitchen - glaring pretty strongly at all of us - our innocent little family and the five grimey bikers. We ate our dogs in near silence, under close scrutiny, but after a few minutes the bikers had gotten the locals talking, everyone loosened up, and we even got a hot cup of cofee brewed up in a hurry. Those Maine folks turned out to be warm and friendly, as did the bikers, just a nice bunch of new High School graduates on their first trip to see saltwater.

Good God! After a long day of serving hordes of tourists in one of the busiest summer towns in the world, they are closing for the night, and a family of four shows up, then a motorcycle gang, they threaten their way inside and demand hot dogs!? I would do more than glare at you, I'd call the cops.
    I know that your family was innocent of the threatening part, but jeez, if it's 10 and they are closing, wouldn't it just be more polite to admit defeat and move on?

ps. Yes, Maine people are sometimes silent and surly when confronted with tourists. It's just the way we are, and it comes from years of dealing with loud, obnoxious, snooty summer people. We know not all summer people are like that, and you should know that not all Mainers are going be rude and ignore you. Just be friendly and courteous to us, and 9 times out of 10 we'll do the same for you. And if the person you are dealing with persists in being rude for no reason, then find another place more worthy of your business.
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13523
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/18 16:09:57 (permalink)
    Seafarer: I would not have subjected my family to that stress. Even though it sounds like it turned out OK, you never know. I would have got the hell out of there.

I just got back from Bar Harbour and enjoyed it a lot particularly the ice cream place on the corner that sells his own blend of blueberry ice cream. Great place and very scenic and particularly the view from Cadillac Mountain. A omni directions view of 360 degrees of the area.

Hope the rest of your trip was better.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    i95
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: worlds best diners 2003/08/18 16:23:48 (permalink)
    Echo the votes for both Moody's (Waldoboro) and Maine Diner (Wells) in Maine. Hit 'em both this month and both are excellent. However, I'll always have a fondness for a Stern's favorite, O'Rourke's in Middletown, Connecticut. When it comes to decor, food and hospitality...a model diner if there ever was one!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1