york steak house

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
recpools
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 19
RE: york steak house 2005/01/15 08:57:13 (permalink)
http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/spawn.php?qv=1&fn=66&tid=46324

another forum on york steak house
recpools
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/01/17 20:02:03 (permalink)

some more basic info on york steak house

http://www.searchspaniel.com/index.php/York_Steak_House

quote:
Originally posted by recpools

http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/forum/spawn.php?qv=1&fn=66&tid=46324

another forum on york steak house
recpools
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/03/01 13:25:18 (permalink)
thank you for all the replies out there....has anyone else come up with any more items from the long but not forgotton york steak house?
four4rock
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: york steak house 2005/03/25 16:46:00 (permalink)
HA! York Steak House. I worked at one in Eastern Hills Mall (Williamsville, NY) in maybe 1978 to maybe 1980 or so. I also filled in at one at the Boulevard Mall (Amherst, NY) on a few occassions.

Three favorite stories: Two guys came in and were eating at a booth. They were high school chums of one of the managers. Apparently, they wanted to pull a prank on him. While they were eating they super glued the plates, cutlery, and glasses to the table.... then took off. They ended up gettig caught by mall security. Funny stuff.

I also remember that it was against Dept of Health code to use steel wool to clean the cooking untensils/pots/racks/etc. So one of the managers kept a stash of Brillo or SOS pads hidden under one of the booth seats.

And, one day I came in to work and there were two brand new managers there. Turns out two of the (former) guys had been caught/arrested for stealing boxes of frozen steaks and selling them out of their cars.

Oh, yeah, and every Valentines Day we'd have a "special" dessert for your beloved a flaming cherries thing.

Toward the end of it's life cycle I remember the place getting pretty ratty looking.

Yeah, I still got a few bus boy name tags and a gift certificate that I won for keeping the place clean on a Friday night.

Some names from Eastern Hills Mall YSH:

Ken Maroni
Lou DiPronio
Tom Corrigan
Jim Schuler
Sally Simme
Maureen ?????
Ken Kern
Anette Edwards
Mark Dixon

forestfirefighter
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: york steak house 2005/03/25 17:43:55 (permalink)
WOW !! EAstern Hills and Blvd Mall !
I used to work at Sattler Blvd mall in the late seventies and dating the girls who worked in Sattlers usually began by taking them to lunch at the York Steakhouse there. Never Dinerat york though, one would get a coupon to one of the then numerous Turgeon Bros restraunts, you could have 8 oz steak diners for 2 with salad bar tip and a caraffe of wine for about $20 buck a couple back then.

Had plenty of dark quiet places to "park" the car back in them days after dinner or a moonlight "walk" along the Niagara River in Tonawanda......

You must also recall great names long gone like Carrolls and Henry's hambergers.....
startrooper00
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 110
RE: york steak house 2005/04/05 15:04:17 (permalink)
I used to love York Steak House...The one in Florence Mall opened with the mall in 1977 and closed in the mid 80's. A Ruby Tuesday moved in and it lasted until the mid 90's. The York in Eastgate Mall in Cincinnati did a little better...It was still around in the early 90's, but it eventually closed and left Cincinnati with no more York's.
Ohara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: york steak house 2005/06/07 13:33:38 (permalink)
I would be so thrilled to have a real memento from York Steak House!! Will I be able to purchase something (maybe one of those colored plastic numbers that they placed on your table) on your website? Please say yes.
Ohara
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: york steak house 2005/06/07 13:43:10 (permalink)
Recpools:

What will you be doing on your website??! Please tell me you will offer York Steak House mementos!! I would love to have something. Ohara

quote]Originally posted by recpools

thank you for all the replies out there....has anyone else come up with any more items from the long but not forgotton york steak house?
Red Sox Nation
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 69
RE: york steak house 2005/06/07 15:35:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tmiles

When my family was young we went to the one at the Auburn Mall in Auburn, Ma. They have been closed for years. Sorry, but that is all I have.......

I remember that restaurant. They had one in the Natick Mall in MA too!
hungryjim
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
RE: york steak house 2005/06/26 18:14:54 (permalink)
We used to go the the one in Middleburg Hts. Ohio across the street fom Southland shopping center. It's decor was like a castle. I think the dinners came with a salad bar.
bear98
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/07/04 09:35:40 (permalink)
york steak house used to be in the fairfield mall in chicopee that is where my parents met. if there is a way to get merchandise please let me know.
tips
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/07/08 00:25:30 (permalink)
What ever happened to Phil Neal, Pat Casey, or Jim Jacobs??
recpools
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/07/11 15:18:39 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bear98

york steak house used to be in the fairfield mall in chicopee that is where my parents met. if there is a way to get merchandise please let me know.

what were their names?

i was a manager there from 79 to 82

ask them if they remember bob pritchard
recpools
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/07/11 15:20:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by tips

What ever happened to Phil Neal, Pat Casey, or Jim Jacobs??

wasn't Phil Neal a regional or sr regional director?
jayday
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/07/14 01:22:52 (permalink)
I remember York Steak House. There was one in the Towne Mall in Middletown Ohio and one in the Dayton Mall. When I lived in Columbus, I was so happy to see that there was one left in Columbus! It so brought back my childhood memories from the 1980s. They still had the buttered rolls, red salad dressing, and the mushrooms I loved as a kid. It seems that so rarely we get to go back in time and relive a moment, but that evening I did.
Emmado
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/11/02 11:19:22 (permalink)
My family and I used to goto the York Steak House in Westview Mall ans Security Square Mall in Baltimore, Maryland when I was a kid. I loved their hamburgers and my mom loved their sirloin tips. My friend Steph lived across the street from Westview Mall and used to goto York's all the time. She liked the chicken very much. She remembers that Johnny Knoll used to work there. Some you you might remember him as Johnny Christ from the band Danzig. Steph and I were considering taking a roadtrip to Columbus, OH to the York's. Does anybody know where it is?
Thanks,
Emily
ToneDeF
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/11/13 20:13:42 (permalink)
My family and I often went to the York Steak House located in the Warwick Mall in Warwick, Rhode Island. From the 70s to the early 80s, the restaurant had a really cool King Arthur theme to it.

The gourmet sirloin burgers (served on round buttered rolls) were fantastic ("I'd like a #4, medium well with steak fries, please"). It was entertaining to watch one of the grill chefs who could turn the burgers by flipping them up high in the air. As a teenager, I preferred to order the sirloin tips (with side orders of mushrooms and sauteed onions), a grilled honey-glazed 1/4 chicken, a garden salad with York's wonderful house dressing, and a baked potato with real butter. For dessert, I often ordered the chocolate pudding (it was topped with whipped cream that had chocolate shavings on top instead of a cherry) or the jello parfait. I also remember York's T-bone steaks and famous mushroom sauce.

Then some time in the mid-to-late 80s (I believe), York switched to a cafeteria-style theme, not unlike that of Ponderosa Steakhouse. New items to the children's menu included frankfurters and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (?!). This marked the decline of York Steakhouse, as it became less popular and disappeared only a few years later.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: york steak house 2005/11/22 11:54:21 (permalink)
One of my first jobs was busing tables at the York at the Warwick Mall in the mid-70s. Yes, the King Arthur motif extended to uniforms: a harvest gold tunic/apron.

For the first couple of years, people would line up for over an hour to get in. Later it became a favorite haunt of residents of the retirement village next to the mall.

Someone mentioned Rustler. It was far superior to York or Bonanza and took a lot of business (including my Family's) away from York.
garryd451
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 709
RE: york steak house 2005/11/24 20:03:39 (permalink)
I think there was one in the Orchard Malls, Benton Harbor, Michigan. It was about 1 mile from I-94. I always thought it was just a average type place, not bad food, not great food. Maybe It wasn't a York, but I thought it was a York Steakhouse.
stevecaskey
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2005/12/05 17:19:42 (permalink)
York Steak House! Man, does this bring back memories! My first job was at the YSH at Southland Shopping Center, Middleburgh Hts, near Cleveland.

I worked there from 81-84 or 85. It was a dark place, castle motif. Food was served cafeteria style. I started as a bus boy, then became a "broiler chef". We were the kings of the place. We used a kind of "kitchen french" to call out the orders as we cooked them, so it sounded much more sophisticated than it really was.

We had a great bunch of kids that worked there; we'd have parties, go to concerts together (anybody remember MSB at Blossom?), etc.

Sirloin steak tips- these were the best! I'd sneak a few of them whenever I could!

2 funny York stories:

1)I was working in the kitchen one night (hot, steamy, etc.). Anyway, I was wearing glasses, and they slipped off my face right into a BIG (10 gal?) bucket of melted butter. I had to reach in, feel around, and pull out my glasses. I had to run them through the dishwasher to get them clean again!

2)We had a promotion one Mothers' Day- free T-bone I think. Anyway, we had SO many people that came in that day, we had the ENTIRE grill covered with steaks. They smothered the flame and put out the grill! We had to pull steaks off and try to re-light! What a mess!

I'd love to hear from anyone from those days- it was fun( heck, the place is just an empty field now).
YorkHostess
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2006/06/28 20:06:09 (permalink)
Maybe I can keep this topic alive! Reading all the stories made me want to share some of mine.
York was my 1st job from 1978-1981. Northgate Mall, Cincinnati Ohio. Started as a "cold side" girl and moved up to "Hostess" in just a little while. I think I made $2.32 an hour. I loved working there and think it gave me a good work ethic.
The food was out of this world, awesome. I'm going to the Columbus, OH store this weekend and hope it is worth the trip.

Good Employee Stories:
1. Our senior regional director was a very picky man. One day he sat down with me and my GM to discuss the finer points of keeping caps on salt/pepper shakers clean. He went on talking for probably 1/2 an hour telling me that I did not have the proper technique to get all the finger prints off and he wanted to be sure that I would not have to be told again. After he was finished (and I was a speechless), my GM said to me "if you can sit through all that, you deserve a raise" and promptly gave me a 25 cent on the hour raise! I don't think that is what the senior director had in mind!

2. One night while retrieving steak sauce bottles: take a bus cart and take all the bottles off the tables and put them on the bus cart. once you have one layer on, take a large aluminum steak tray and put that on top of the bottles. put more bottles on top of the steak tray. repeat until all the bottles are off all the tables. roll the cart into the back and into the cold side cooler for the night.
This process takes a loooong time! We weren't allowed to start anything until the last customer left the restuarant. That was York's deal. Anyway, it had to be around 1 a.m. and I was pushing the cart back, rolling over the carpet, just about to hit the brick floor and WHAM! the entire cart tipped over and steak sauce bottles broke all over the place. After some help from my mother(didn't drive at the time) I got it cleaned up and went home for the night.
That builds character!

3. A broiler chef and I used to sing "Renegade" by Styx. He was on the grill and I was in the dining area. York would be so crowded and loud on a weekend night, no one paid any attention to us. Scott would start out "oh mamma, i'm in fear for my life from the long arm the law", then i'd sign the next line and so on. just to the part where Tommy Shaw kicks into the guitar part. It was great!

4. Any other hostessess out there remember filling up ketchup bottles and having the glass bottoms burst? How bout pouring coffee, "would you like a fresh, hot, delicious cup of York Steak House coffee?" and how many steak plates could you fit on your arm, smile and serve?

and on something every York employee knows: PASAY!!

i'm glad I stumbled upon this forum and thanks for bringing back the memories.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
RE: york steak house 2006/06/28 20:17:16 (permalink)
Welcome to Roadfood, YorkHostess. Thanks for sharing your fun memories. But please, don't leave us in the dark. What does PASAY mean?
YorkHostess
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2006/06/29 09:57:39 (permalink)
Pasay (pah-say) means a few things.
1. it meant finished, like the steaks were served to the grill table and the chef would say what the order was and then say Pasay!
2. it meant get out of my way or move or to say coming through. Pasay was said every time you went through a door.
3. it meant i'm behind you.
I still find myself sometimes saying it, mostly to mean get out of my way. (only around family cause they know what it means)
I don't know if the spelling is correct but we never had to spell it, just say it!
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18660
RE: york steak house 2006/06/29 10:31:59 (permalink)
Thanks for the explanation.
Ashphalt
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: york steak house 2006/06/29 10:48:09 (permalink)
One of my first jobs was bussing table at a York in the Warwick Mall, RI, 1976 - 77. I don't remember "pahsay" but I do remember several buscart accidents (my own and others). The place was so busy and they ran you so hard to get tables clear so that the line would be on schedule that it was inevitable. The carpet was so encrusted with grease that people would slip on it and it ruined workers' shoes. Personally, I started slowing down after I came within a hair of injuring a toddler I couldn't see in front of the cart.

I also remember cleaning the trash compactor. If you got off of bus duty early, the payback was wiping down the inside of the compactor, which happened to have loose wiring on the safety switch. You learned pretty quickly not to clean around that switch.
Marti7
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: york steak house 2006/07/09 20:08:01 (permalink)
I worked at the York Steak House in the Eastwood Mall in Niles,OH for about 1 yr (1981). I remember working the day after Thanksgiving,and we couldn't keep-up with the crowd (going out the door& down the hall) !

Marti
recpools
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2006/08/18 11:41:17 (permalink)
any more yorkies out there?
markolenski
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 308
RE: york steak house 2006/08/18 12:53:19 (permalink)
York Steak House in Stratford CT is where I took my wife on our first date. It is gone but we have been married 28 years.
tybeeguy
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 87
RE: york steak house 2006/08/18 13:15:30 (permalink)
http://www.smugmug.com/keyword/all/yorksteakhouse/1/1723996
recpools
Junior Burger
RE: york steak house 2006/08/18 13:16:43 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by YorkHostess

Pasay (pah-say) means a few things.
1. it meant finished, like the steaks were served to the grill table and the chef would say what the order was and then say Pasay!
2. it meant get out of my way or move or to say coming through. Pasay was said every time you went through a door.
3. it meant i'm behind you.
I still find myself sometimes saying it, mostly to mean get out of my way. (only around family cause they know what it means)
I don't know if the spelling is correct but we never had to spell it, just say it!

might have been spelled passe` but who's to know?

everyone knew what it meant, especially when the broiler chefs slid a plate all the way from the tip pan down to the buttered roll end of the steak table!

the steak girl had to really be quick and on her toes.
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1