The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

york steak house

Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 164
recpools

• Total Posts: 19
york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 1:21 PM (permalink)
just found this very nice web site.

was curious about york steak house.

i know there is one in columbus ohio still.

i worked there from 1979 to 1981. it was owned by general mills. i believe the last general mills ysh closed around 1989 or so.

any information, old training manuals, decor, name and or address of principals are needed and would be appreciated.

mostly, tho, any good stories and memories from anyone's time there.

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1910
    RE: york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 1:53 PM (permalink)
    When my family was young we went to the one at the Auburn Mall in Auburn, Ma. They have been closed for years. Sorry, but that is all I have.......

recpools

RE: york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 1:56 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by tmiles

When my family was young we went to the one at the Auburn Mall in Auburn, Ma. They have been closed for years. Sorry, but that is all I have.......

i am familiar with that one, knew all the managers, i worked at the one in chicopee and also the holyoke mall one.

thank you very much for your reply.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
        RE: york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 3:11 PM (permalink)
        recpools...
        I don't remember one at the Holyoke Mall (i'm a former Wastefield resident).

We used to frequent one in Manassas, VA. My family loved it. Their fries kicked butt. I know they were decorated with kind of a King Arthur motif. I was very little, so it's hard to remember. It was a step up from Bonanza, but a step down from Black Angus.

shen

• Total Posts: 150
          RE: york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 3:25 PM (permalink)
          I LOVED york steak house. There was one in the trumbull mall. the fish with almonds and the pudding or strawberries for dessert. all self serve with those trays.
          memories.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
            RE: york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 4:55 PM (permalink)
            I still go to the one in Columbus from time to time. It's not bad. You're not going to get a prime steak there, but for the money you can eat pretty well. My wife likes the sirloin tips and I usually either get a t-bone or they actually have really good hamburgers. The set up is probably exactly like it was when the place first opened. Grab a tray, order your entree. Get your dessert, soup, drinks, and salad bar plate from the line. Find a seat, make your salad bar trip and they bring your food out to you. I feel like I'm back in the 70s every time we go in there.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
              RE: york steak house Thu, 11/4/04 7:19 PM (permalink)
              I was about 10 or 11 when the York in Dartmouth, MA opened. We went a few times, and since going out to eat at that time in our family meant (almost exclusively) McDonald's or something along those lines, I thought York was the Ritz. I thought it was the coolest thing; you wait in a seemingly endless line in a hallway similar to the queue area of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, then eventually come to the service area. Grab a tray and utensils and napkins, then give your order to the employee standing right around the corner. He or she gives you a little plastic sign that indicates what you ordered (different numbers for each entree, I think different colors for degree of doneness). I always got the "chopped sirloin," which I know is a glorified hamburger, but I loved it just the same. Make your way through the line picking up dessert, salad and drinks along the way, and by the time you make it to the end of the line, your dinner is ready and waiting for you to pick up. You then pay the cashier at the end and go find your seat.

Years later, after the novelty wore off, they changed it to an all-you-can-eat buffet, but as I recall, the quality of the food was horrible and that didn't last long before they closed.

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                RE: york steak house Fri, 11/5/04 6:26 PM (permalink)
                jvsmom, I remember it the same way...to my middle-income family, it was CLASSY.

DaveM

• Total Posts: 353
                  RE: york steak house Tue, 11/9/04 3:50 PM (permalink)
                  Burlington Mall-always had great sauteed onions

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
                    RE: york steak house Thu, 11/11/04 5:45 PM (permalink)
                    There was a York in the CherryVale Mall (Cherry Valley IL) for a number of years during the '70s. I'd often save up my allowance and go there for lunch during the summer and every so often we'd go there as a family. I remember that when I ordered a rare steak I would get a RARE steak!

Brad O.

jvsmom

• Total Posts: 462
                      RE: york steak house Thu, 11/11/04 6:13 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by DaveM

Burlington Mall-always had great sauteed onions

THAT'S RIGHT! I forgot about the sauteed onions.

I always got a dessert that was a strawberry-cream parfait thing that to me at the time was the most elegant thing on the planet.

recpools

RE: york steak house Mon, 12/6/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
                        Hello everyone out there again.

Would anyone out there have any old YSH memorabilia?

We are looking for including but not limited to: uniforms (managers jackets, ties, name tags, hostess aprons,
                        etc.), menu signs, meal tags, training manuals, equipment, contracts, names and addresses of former
                        executives and/or employees. We own the domain name yorksteakhouse.com and our firm is going to
                        develop the site. Any help would be appreciated finding items such as these.

As always, we are always interested in both employees and customers experiences from YSH!

Sincerely,

Bob

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                          RE: york steak house Mon, 12/6/04 12:46 PM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by recpools

just found this very nice web site.

was curious about york steak house.

i know there is one in columbus ohio still.

i worked there from 1979 to 1981. it was owned by general mills. i believe the last general mills ysh closed around 1989 or so.

any information, old training manuals, decor, name and or address of principals are needed and would be appreciated.

mostly, tho, any good stories and memories from anyone's time there.

I remember going to a York Steak House once in the Eastland Mall in Columbus. It was many years ago, and all I remember is that I didn;t care for the place. I've seen a York Steak House on the West Side, across Broad Street from Westland.

AndreaB

• Total Posts: 1303
                            RE: york steak house Sun, 12/12/04 9:50 AM (permalink)
                            There was a York Steak House in the Fayette Mall in Lexington, KY. It's long gone but we used to hang out at the Mall as teenagers and would always go to York and have their huge burgers covered with sauteed onions and we'd drench them with steak sauce. There's a big food court in that Mall now, but nothing they have compares to York.

Wistah

• Total Posts: 205
                              RE: york steak house Sun, 12/12/04 9:58 AM (permalink)
                              I vaguely remember several in MA but I never ate at one....Route 1 in Dedham.....Danvers across From Liberty Tree Mall (now New Asia) and in the old Natick Mall.

It sounds like they were a "Ponderosa" or "Bonanza" type restaurant.

Does anyone remember "Rustler"....another similar type chain?

arbusjones

• Total Posts: 2
                                RE: york steak house Wed, 12/22/04 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                I loved York Steak House. I used to go to the one at Rosedale Mall
                                in Roseville, Mn. I remember paying the extra quarter for the
                                grilled mushrooms. No one eats anymore. It's all yuppie Starbucks
                                and scones.

yogi bear

• Total Posts: 7
                                  RE: york steak house Sun, 01/2/05 9:29 PM (permalink)
                                  hey guys i worked at york steak house in west farms mall 1976-1985,i was known as yogi.What a place we served over 300 customers an hour on fri and sat.we had contests with the yord steak houses in mass.I have so many stories,were else could you get a steak dinner for under 4bucks,does any one remember tresenyou,beonqui,so many baked potatoes,i remember so may things,i just ran into someone today i worked with in 1981.does anyone remember jeff grayson or his father,i shure do,i would like to hear from any x york steak house employees.i still have some of my cooking tongs.

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                                    RE: york steak house Mon, 01/3/05 12:18 AM (permalink)
                                    Could you former York Steak House guys possibly fill us in on what the "lingo" was back at the grill,always sounded foreign-language to me.What was all the hollering about?

recpools

RE: york steak house Mon, 01/3/05 1:11 PM (permalink)
                                      i remember jeff grayson. how about alan crudale, ray degrange.... you remember dave swalick, he used to be the gm at west farms?????.

grayson is a franchise owner of pizza uno in orlando, i believe.

tres senyon was medium rare, senyone was medium, beonquite was well done. i know i am not spelling these right but they were french words. supplemont was subistitute fries for baker or vice versa.

yogi, were you a broiler chef, seems to me i remember your name.

also, remember chuck holmes???

recpools

RE: york steak house Mon, 01/3/05 1:12 PM (permalink)
                                        i remember jeff grayson. how about alan crudale, ray degrange.... you remember dave swalick, he used to be the gm at west farms?????.

tres senyon was medium rare, senyone was medium, beonquite was well done. i know i am not spelling these right but they were french words. supplemont was subistitute fries for baker or vice versa.

quote:
                                        Originally posted by yogi bear

hey guys i worked at york steak house in west farms mall 1976-1985,i was known as yogi.What a place we served over 300 customers an hour on fri and sat.we had contests with the yord steak houses in mass.I have so many stories,were else could you get a steak dinner for under 4bucks,does any one remember tresenyou,beonqui,so many baked potatoes,i remember so may things,i just ran into someone today i worked with in 1981.does anyone remember jeff grayson or his father,i shure do,i would like to hear from any x york steak house employees.i still have some of my cooking tongs.

recpools

RE: york steak house Mon, 01/3/05 1:23 PM (permalink)

more info about jeff grayson.......Jeff Grayson, owner of the Pizzeria Uno at Lake Buena Vista

As many as 1,000 Florida restaurants are closed and some may never reopen as a result of hurricane damage, according to the president of the Florida Restaurant Association.

That's left as many as 10,000 employees out-of-work.

Carol Dover said an exact accounting is almost impossible even several weeks after Hurricane Jeanne's departure. It is not known how may of those restaurants are in the Central Florida area.

Many restaurants don't have telephones or fax machines working.

"There are hundreds of restaurants we haven't been able to contact," Dover said.

The estimate of 500 to 1,000 closures is based on conversations with food vendors and other industry professionals, Dover said.

After Hurricane Ivan, the trade association contacted about 600 restaurants across the state and more than 90 percent of them had been affected in some degree, she said.

"Millions of dollars of spoiled food has been thrown away," Dover said. "Again, it's impossible to quantify, but it's there. No question, some will not reopen."

She said Jubilee's, a well-known restaurant at Pensacola Beach, was almost destroyed by Hurricane Ivan. The owner said Hurricane Opal in 1995 did more than $1 million in damage but that Ivan was worse, Dover said.

The restaurant association is sponsoring a "Dine Out For Disaster Relief Day" on Oct. 14 in which participating restaurants will donate a portion of their revenues to the Florida Disaster Relief Fund, which was established by Gov. Jeb Bush to help communities and citizens rebuild from the storms.

Dover said more than 1,200 restaurants have signed up to participate so far and Orlando-based Darden Restaurants has already contributed $1 million to the fund.

"Many of our members are earmarking money to the fund for other restaurants," she said. "They're helping rebuild their competitors."

Restaurant losses are expected to mount into the millions. Tampa-based Shells Seafood Restaurants Inc. alone last month estimated it took about a $1 million hit from lost sales and repair costs not covered by insurance.

One of its stores, at 221 S. Semoran Blvd. in Casselberry, was severely damaged by both fire and Hurricane Frances the weekend of Sept. 3.

While the fire may have been from an electrical short, the hurricane added substantial damage, said spokesman Rick Van Warner. The Casselberry restaurant has been closed more than a month. The goal is to reopen before Thanksgiving, Warner said.

Many other Central Florida restaurateurs took financial hits from the storms and several said business has lagged 25 percent to 30 percent since Hurricane Jeanne passed through.

Frank Abbinanti, owner of Frankies Big City Grille in Oviedo, said he was open only about three weeks before Hurricane Charley shut him down. He was without power for a week. Hurricanes Frances and Jeanne also shut him down for several days, he said.

Business is off about 30 percent, but Abbinanti said he expects things to pick up.

"I'll make it if we don't have any more of these [storms]," he said.

Chris Cascio, owner of Toucan Willies, a restaurant across Aloma Avenue from Frankies' Big City Grille, also lost about a dozen days of business from the three storms.

"We took a financial hit, but we have a loyal customer base," Cascio said.

Jeff Grayson, owner of the Pizzeria Uno at Lake Buena Vista, also suffered several days of business disruption with a loss of tourist traffic before the storms.

But he said business has been picking up.

"I believe things will be back to normal pretty quickly," he said.

quote:
                                          Originally posted by recpools

quote:

yogi bear

RE: york steak house Mon, 01/3/05 9:10 PM (permalink)
                                            hey guys ,yogi here again,how about jeff graysons father. what a team they made.alan ,ray and dave what a great group of guys to work for.chuck holmes what did you do there.

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
                                              RE: york steak house Tue, 01/4/05 11:49 AM (permalink)
                                              Why is thia in NEWS forum----this isnt "news" its "OLDS"!

recpools

RE: york steak house Tue, 01/4/05 12:56 PM (permalink)
                                                yogi...............chuck holmes was a trainee......started june 79....worked up to senior manager left to become general manager of holyoke about august of 1981. good guy.

where is ray degrange or alan crudale now?

i met grayson's father once i think, was his name howard???

bob

quote:

hey guys ,yogi here again,how about jeff graysons father. what a team they made.alan ,ray and dave what a great group of guys to work for.chuck holmes what did you do there.

yogi bear

RE: york steak house Tue, 01/4/05 8:46 PM (permalink)
                                                  alan crudale is working for himself in investments.He call me once while i was working at yorks around 1985 to see if he could invest my money.I talked to jeff grayson today.we talked about all the great times at yorks.His father howard is still around.yorks was a one of a kind.You had to work there to understand what iam talking about.

yogi bear

• Location: west hartford, CT
                                                    RE: york steak house Sat, 01/8/05 12:13 AM (permalink)
                                                    any more york steak house people out there.looks like its reunion time.

Futomaki

• Total Posts: 1
                                                      RE: york steak house Mon, 01/10/05 12:13 AM (permalink)
                                                      Hey..I remember York Steak House. I am a child of the 80's and I have such fond memories of my father taking to the local YSH at Euclid Square Mall on the east side of Cleveland. They had the best steak sauce and I can still taste the awesome rolls that came with every meal...they were so buttery and delicious. I would love to see what becomes of the new website for YSH...but even better would be to bring back the restaurant chain! Why NOT! Thanks to the rampant success of the Atkins Diet I believe reintroducing YSH would be a smash. Also all those who have fond memories of tha food would return en masse. Thanks....

KyronG

• Total Posts: 1
                                                        RE: york steak house Mon, 01/10/05 6:08 PM (permalink)
                                                        We had one in Moline, Illinois at SouthPark Mall. Man, I couldn't believe it when it closed.

I was a regular customer. But it wasn't for the steaks or burgers. It was the honey roasted chicken. I kind of liked the setting too. You could eat while watching the mall shoppers scurrying by or gaze at the organized disorder of the kitchen crew working at a breakneck pace.

I've tried to duplicate the chicken recipe and failed. If anyone has a clue what they put in the glaze you would be doing the world a favour by posting it here.

recpools

• Location: clinton, NY
                                                          RE: york steak house Mon, 01/10/05 7:09 PM (permalink)
                                                          the honey roasted chicken was excellent and simple.

it was a spice that consisted of onion salt, garlic salt, a little pepper and paparyka.

the glaze was 1/2 honey, 1/2 molasses

the glaze only went on after the chicken was cooked and it was then held in a warmer 150 degrees or so. putting it back in the oven at 400 degrees would burn it.

yogi bear

• Location: west hartford, CT
                                                            RE: york steak house Mon, 01/10/05 9:05 PM (permalink)
                                                            speaking of that chicken,the yorks i worked in sold over 100 chickens a day,even more on the weekends.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 123456 > | Showing page 1 of 6, messages 1 to 30 of 164

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com