The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

zabs or zebs

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
zabs or zebs Wed, 01/14/09 10:46 PM (permalink)

am i correct or was their a hot dog chain in the rochester ny area .i recall eating there in the early 80's.and can anyone remember buying their sauce called backyard sauce,i used to buy it at tops.can anyone tell me what happened to them?

ConeyIslandLou

• Total Posts: 737
    Re:zabs or zebs Thu, 01/15/09 10:28 PM (permalink)
    starfire62

am i correct or was their a hot dog chain in the rochester ny area .i recall eating there in the early 80's.and can anyone remember buying their sauce called backyard sauce,i used to buy it at tops.can anyone tell me what happened to them?

Yup - it was called Zab's Backyard Hots - and it was GOOD - in fact, it was in one of the early RF books! I think there was some sort of family squabble or something - my sister and her husband live up there (and even bought a couple of shares of their stock!), and they mentioned something to that effect....a real shame...in many ways they were better than Ted's of Tonawanda....

What's confusing is that here is a restaurant up there called ZEBB'S, which serves burgers, ribs and such....

ReginaHarris

• Total Posts: 1
      Re:zabs or zebs Sun, 06/14/09 4:05 PM (permalink)
      I am from Rochester and have lived in New Mexico for 32 years.  When Zab's went out of business, the hot sauce recipe was bought by Tailgate Products, Inc in Andover, CT 06232.  The sauce was renamed Huskies Premium Recipe Hot Sauce.  I have the empty jar and a label from the box.  I used to order it by a case of 6-oz jars.  The next time I went to order, the company, I assume, went out of business.  It sure would be nice if the recipe survived somewhere.  Maybe now with the internet, someone can find out what happened to Tailgate products.  Even today, there is nothing like the Zab's/Huskies sauce. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com