Mellow Mushroom

Author
SassyGritsAL
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1089
2008/02/28 11:47:24 (permalink)

Mellow Mushroom

We are getting a Mellow Mushroom that will be opening soon here in Huntsville, AL. Has anyone ate at one and what is your opinion?

22 Replies Related Threads

ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 11:57:36 (permalink)
    Oh Sassy, you're opening a can of worms here! I have loved Mellow Mushroom ever since we used to eat them in Atlanta back in the late '70s, way before all the franchises opened. I've eaten it since then from a Charlotte store, and it was still delicious but not nearly as memorable as pies from my favorite store in Atlanta's Buckhead area (though it's been almost ten years since I last ate there).

The can of worms, of course, are all of those RFers who dislike MM, and there are a good many of them here. Compared to Pizza Hut, Cici's, et al., MM still reigns over other chains. I'd figure that this thread will exemplify polarity on the subject, and I look forward to reading other posts! Chris
    divefl
    • Total Posts : 1671
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 11:59:33 (permalink)
    They are great in Boone, NC. Of course, that may not translate to another with different managers and workers. Get bacon on the pizza, that will cover all flaws.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 12:02:52 (permalink)
    We have one here, the college students seem to really like it. I've often threatened to stop in but have yet to do so.
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 16:17:16 (permalink)
    As Chris said above, depends on the location and staff - like many chains - but MM has been pretty good in ATL at the locations I've visited. However, in some other towns, not so good.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7392
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 17:11:33 (permalink)
    Never heard of MM! I guess we don't have them in Alaska or Rochester, PA or Desert Hot Springs, CA! Do they serve morels??
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 17:48:57 (permalink)
    Dearfolk,
    When I worked at Peaches Records on Peachtree Street in Atlanta (1975-76), we used to trundle down to Mellow Mushroom's old Spring Street location. I thought then that it was excellent pizza, but now that I've tasted REAL New York pizza from Little Italy here in Athens, I find M. M.'s pies to be wholly decent but somehow lacking by comparison. It may well be that Little Italy has spoiled me, as it would practically anyone but a New Havenite or a New Yorker.
    Your Mellow Mushroom will still beat ALL the national chains hands down. It isn't cheap, but you will make up in quality what you pay additionally for.
    When it opens, go there and let us know what you think. When your local microbrewery (Old Towne?) reopens (they're rebuilding after a fire as I write these very words!), their brews will show up on tap there.
    High As I Can Go On AM Radio, The WEUPticious Ort. Carlton in Ever-Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. WEUP's call letters were chosen to honor Euple Palmer, an original employee. Back in the early 1960's, the station boomed on the air with full power at 4:00 A. M., screaming "We up! Is you up?" -- I kid you not; I heard it myself. I even went by the Jordan Lane studios once and shook Mr. Garrett's hand (Leroy Garrett was the founder); that's a visit I hold in high nostalgic esteem. I haven't returned to Huntsville since the likes of 1978, and have yet to drink from The Big Spring.
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 18:00:44 (permalink)
    Ort, you worked at Peaches? I can't tell you how much money I've donated to Peaches (and then Camelot) in my life...Chris
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 18:52:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Oneiron339

As Chris said above, depends on the location and staff - like many chains - but MM has been pretty good in ATL at the locations I've visited. However, in some other towns, not so good.

Ditto. However, I do make it a point to go to a MM each and every time I am in Atlanta; which averages 7-12 trips yearly. The MM in Savannah, GA is pretty good, also.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3756
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 18:56:57 (permalink)
    Well this sounds like a wonderful place but it should be in "Fast Foods and Chains"! If I ever come across this place, I am going to try it for sure,
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 19:03:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ayersian
    Ort, you worked at Peaches? I can't tell you how much money I've donated to Peaches (and then Camelot) in my life...Chris

Chris,
    Yup, I worked at three different stores! The 2282 Peachtree St., N/W one in Atlanta (that was the first one outside L. A.) from late 1975 until late 1976; Tulsa, Oklahoma (51st. & Sheridan) during 1977 and 1978; and Richmond, Virginia (8018 West Broad Street) during the Spring of 1979 and again in 1980, briefly.
    I've still got a Peaches Christmas t-shirt in my closet. It's a Large that shrunk quite a bit, but it will still fit in a pinch (pun intended!). When I manage to lose the weight I want to, it might be a little more fitting (tee hee!).
    Which store(s) did you patronize? It's possible that I might have sold you something through recommendation, y'know.
    Discoveringly (Yup, Vinyl Covers Most Of My House!), Ort. Carlton in Turntable-Crazed Athens, Georgia.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/02/28 19:07:43 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Adjudicator
    quote:

Adjudicator,
    Off this topic to be sure, but I heard you visited Athens recently. Where did you eat when you were here?
    Where should I make a beeline for in the Bainbridge area should I manage to venture there? After all, there's several thrift stores in that area that I've never visited....
    Bereft Of Post-Searchlight Online At The Moment, Ort. Carlton in Banner-Herald/News Serviced Athens, Georgia.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/01 09:02:45 (permalink)
    Is MM a chain that sells premade stuff like,dare I use the name,Pizza Crud? Premade dough,sugary sauce etc...or is it much closer to real Italian pizza Ort. Carlton, you would be able to comment.
    RibRater
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/01 09:38:28 (permalink)
    I've eaten at a couple different locations. I thought it was just food..nothing I would go out of my way for but I wouldn't hesitate to eat there in a pinch.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/01 20:37:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ort. Carlton.

quote:
    quote:

Adjudicator,
    Off this topic to be sure, but I heard you visited Athens recently. Where did you eat when you were here?
    Where should I make a beeline for in the Bainbridge area should I manage to venture there? After all, there's several thrift stores in that area that I've never visited....
    Bereft Of Post-Searchlight Online At The Moment, Ort. Carlton in Banner-Herald/News Serviced Athens, Georgia.

Unfortunately, my visit there was so brief that I ate no where worthwhile. I was in and out of Athens in a flash. An eleven hour round trip travel time for a 3 hour meeting left me somewhat in a daze. I was three blocks east of the cajun/creole place; Harry Bissetts, though (is that the name of it?) I had previously contacted our mutual friend @ UGA library for recommendations.

In regards to good places to eat in Bainbridge; please.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/01 20:42:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

Well this sounds like a wonderful place but it should be in "Fast Foods and Chains"! If I ever come across this place, I am going to try it for sure,

I assure you MM is NOT fast food!
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/01 20:46:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Is MM a chain that sells premade stuff like,dare I use the name,Pizza Crud? Premade dough,sugary sauce etc...or is it much closer to real Italian pizza Ort. Carlton, you would be able to comment.

Hell NO! MM is a unique regional chain. Their crust is one of the best I have ever had. It gets better.
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/02 09:30:16 (permalink)
    I had to go look...

http://www.mellowmushroom.com/

NOISE ALERT!!
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/02 23:25:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Lee,
    The dough is premade, but the sauce didn't seem sugary to me. I guess Little Italy has spoiled me, though... I still say it's the best pizza in town.
    I sure thought M. M. was good back in 1975! I've tasted their pizza many times since, and it remains a favorite... nice chewy crust. (Little Italy's is crunchier.)
    Unslicingly, Ort. Carlton in Unbelievable Athens, Georgia.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/04 16:34:57 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

quote:
    quote:

Adjudicator,

Unfortunately, my visit there was so brief that I ate no where worthwhile. I was in and out of Athens in a flash. An eleven hour round trip travel time for a 3 hour meeting left me somewhat in a daze. I was three blocks east of the cajun/creole place; Harry Bissetts, though (is that the name of it?) I had previously contacted our mutual friend @ UGA library for recommendations.

In regards to good places to eat in Bainbridge; please.

Pity. But I feel your pain as I have suffered the long roadtrip for three hour meetings many a time in my three decades in service to the USG.

Eating out in Bainbridge? No, it's not to be done with the possible exception of the Courtyard Cafe. Bainbridge people go to Thomasville or Tallahassee for eating out. Mom and Dad's. Liams. Food Glorious Food or Chez Pierre.

Bainbridge wasn't always so totally bereft of local eateries. That restaurant location out on Hwy 97--the Faceville Hwy--has hosted its share of good restaurants in its various incarnations in my time down there in South GA: Mr. G's in the '70s had great burgers and fries. Later, it was Country Boy's with the best barbeque beef going. Following that it once again reverted to a good hamburger and fresh home made fries joint--can't recall the name at the moment. This would have been the early '90s. It was even host to a high-end steak house--Michaelangelo's for a brief run--good aged steaks. And then Terri Lynn's country cooking buffet had a good run and that's where I lose the thread.

Adj--what is there now?
    branedamag
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/12 15:55:57 (permalink)
    After growing up on Red Diamond Inn pizza in Miami in the 60s, Mellow Mushroom was pretty lame. I went back when visiting Atlanta a couple of years ago with my son, who will eat almost anything labeled pizza, and we both agreed it was pretty lame. But not awful. Just lame.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/26 22:32:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Dearfolk, When I worked at Peaches Records on Peachtree Street in Atlanta (1975-76), we used to trundle down to Mellow Mushroom's old Spring Street location. High As I Can Go, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Dearfolk,
    Whoops! I put together an answer here, but just erased it because I need new glasses and hit the wrong key! -- Let me try again.
    Imagine my glee during a recent thrift store outing when I ran across a paperback book from June, 1976 entitled "101 Restaurants -- An Insiders Guide To Atlanta Dining" by then-Atlanta Gazette restaurant critic Harold V. Shumacher. Here is what he had to say about The Mellow Mushroom.
    "1193 Spring St., N/W - Atlanta; 6218 Roswell Rd., Sandy Springs; 4850 Buford Hwy. - Chamblee.
    "The Mellow Mushroom has justifiably assumed its position as Atlanta's pizza king, offering the finest pies currently available in the city.
    "The first Mushroom was begun 2-1/2 years ago by two enterprising Georgia Tech students on the fringe of the school's campus. The small former liquor store became an instant success drawing patrons from throughout the metro area.
    "The Mushroom's secret is a thin crusted but firm pie generously covered with cheese, a zesty tomato sauce, and a variety of toppings. A recommended choice is the spicy, freshly made sausage in combination with any of the vegetable choices ($3.75-$5.25 medium, $4.75-$7 large).
    "Besides pizza, the Mushroom offers some of Atlanta's largest and tastiest sandwiches. Either the ham and cheese ($1.60) or the cheese steak, thin slices of beef, mozzarela cheese, and sauteed peppers and onions served on crusty French bread ($1.80), are recommended. Other sandwiches include tuna fish, roast beef, and a vegetarian special concocted from sprouts, mushrooms, cheese and onions ($1.60-$2)."
    There you have it. The original Spring Street location opened roughly September, 1973. The Roswell Road location is also still there, but the Buford Highway one is long gone, replaced probably by a wondrous Chinese or other ethnic eatery.
    Counting company-owned stores and franchised locations together, there are 29 more M. M.'s in the Atlanta free calling area as of late 2004 (the newest phonebook I could access -- they're becoming a dinosaur, y'know).
    Just wanted to toss that in, like pizza dough.
    Pieing The Type (But Not This Time!), Ort. Carlton in Amazing Athens, Georgia.
    P. S. I used to joke that my typewriter came from Cross Keys High School. Tee hee.
    tfrielin
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 442
    RE: Mellow Mushroom 2008/03/27 11:08:39 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Dearfolk, When I worked at Peaches Records on Peachtree Street in Atlanta (1975-76), we used to trundle down to Mellow Mushroom's old Spring Street location. High As I Can Go, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia.

Dearfolk,
    Whoops! I put together an answer here, but just erased it because I need new glasses and hit the wrong key! -- Let me try again.
    Imagine my glee during a recent thrift store outing when I ran across a paperback book from June, 1976 entitled "101 Restaurants -- An Insiders Guide To Atlanta Dining" by then-Atlanta Gazette restaurant critic Harold V. Shumacher.

Wow--that book sounds like a real find. What does it say about the Coach&Six and Herrins? Those are two venerable Atlanta restaurants that I never got to eat at. And now it's way too late of course.

Also is Gregory's listed?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1