Hot!Best vintage milkshake mixer?

Author
thomascirca
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2010/07/30 12:44:34 (permalink)

Best vintage milkshake mixer?

Hi guys,

I have been searching long and hard for the ultimate milkshake. Unfortunately, my area seems to be lacking such a milkshake, so I've decided to just make my own from now on with real equipment. My blender does not do a very good job, so I've been looking at purchasing a vintage/ retro mixer. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Here's what I've been looking at:

Hamilton Beach, Model 30 (example = )

Hamilton Beach, Model 40DM (example = )

Sterling Multimxer (example =

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! I'm open to any and all ideas. I was just more inclined to use a vintage, real-deal, machine as opposed to a newer one.

25 Replies Related Threads

dannybotz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 357
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/07/30 12:59:30 (permalink)
    dont know but welcome to roadfood
    callmebruce
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/08/01 17:53:07 (permalink)
    Post up when you pick up the mixer and try some recipes! I'm interested in milkshakes, frappes, ice cream sodas and old-style soda fountain type drinks. Hmmmmm, soda fountain. Where to find one, ....

Anyway, good luck! Sounds like a fun project.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/08/02 18:04:21 (permalink)
    I bought a H-B #51 about 10 years ago. Believe it's from the mid-thirties. I like it. Only drawback is it uses a special cup, which I don't have, so I can't lock the stainless steel milkshake cups in place. I have to hold them while the thing's mixing, which really isn't a big deal.
    milkshake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/08/12 20:05:52 (permalink)
    Hi Junior Burger,

You are right to focus on getting a vintage machine if you want a real milkshake.  In my opinion, the only choice is the Hamilton Beach model 40DM 3-spindle mixer (preferably in the classic Jadite green color).  I have recently started collecting them (I have 3 machines: 2 green and one ivory).   Once you've seen and used this particular machine, you will be interested in no others (although the Sterling Multimixer is second in line, even that doesn't compare to the 40DM, as it has only one motor, and a mechanical system to link it to the multiple mixing spindles).  If you don't have the space or $$ to get a 40DM (expect to pay $350-$600 for a good machine), you may want to consider an older Hamilton Beach single-head mixer, such as a model 30 or model 33, but these definitely do NOT have nearly the class or nostalgia of a 40DM, and they only have 2 speeds (not 3, like a 40DM), so they won't give you the indescribable, superior milkshake that the 40 DM delivers.

The 40DM is the classic, quintisciential machine.  Each of the 3 spindles have their own motor and switch controls.  If one spindle is broken (or even if you remove a spindle/motor for repair), the other 2 can still be safely used in the meantime.  Inside, each motor is mounted with 4 spring-loaded, cushioned mounting screws (like a car engine), making vibration and noise minimal.   The base of the unit is made of porcelain-coated cast iron... its heavy and its really gorgeous when you see it in person.   The head housing is painted in the same color as the base.  The 40DM weighs about 45 lbs.

I have been learning how to remove the motors from these machines, in order to get them serviced.  For you, I would advise getting a 40DM that is in 100% perfect working order... unless you are really handy with motors  and want to take on the task of refurbishing, as a hobby.  Don't beleive any sellers that say a mixer is perfect except "it needs a switch" or anything like that (unless the machine is severly discounted to reflect the fact that it needs work).  Having said all that, the 40DM is built like a tank, and inside the top housing unit, there are of course the 3 motors.  I have an e-mail picture of the inside of the motor head, so if you want to e-mail me about it, I'll forward it to you. 
    post edited by milkshake - 2010/08/13 14:25:29
    thomascirca
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/08/21 15:53:50 (permalink)
    Just reporting on my quest to make the ultimate milkshake. I purchased a Hamilton Beach 40DM mixer (a green one) for $175 in perfect working condition. I have to say, it has well exceeded all my expectations. Shakes taste a lot better, so right now I'm trying to figure out the best sort of ice cream to use. I don't want to spend too much though, so I may just stick to the generic grocery store brands unless I find some outstanding deal. Hopefully when I'll eligible on this site I'll post some pictures!

Also, quick question, what do the indents on the side of the stainless steel cups indicate and is it possible / recommended to make a shake out of custard?
    milkshake
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/08/24 12:35:21 (permalink)
    You got a GREAT deal on the 40 DM, especially if its in good working order.  I would think that its easily worth twice what you paid.   Is the porcelain (on the base section) and green paint (on the top / motor housing section) in good condition? How about the chrome band w/ logo?   Even if its got some dings and scuffs, you still got a great deal.  As far as the ridges in the cups are concerned... I don't really know what their purpose is... perhaps the long (vertical) ridges are meant to generate a slight turbulence in the tornado-like flow that develops as you whip up a milkshake, causing more effective mixing.  I think the small, horizontal dents are for measuring your ingredients, although I usually just "eyeball it" when making a shake.  As far a trying custard... well, give it a try, what do you have to lose?

BTW... where did you get your machine???  ... online, or did you find it at an antique-mall or something?
    post edited by milkshake - 2010/08/24 12:38:14
    thomascirca
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/08/26 20:11:41 (permalink)
    The paint is excellent! There are some small dings and scratches but it's nothing major. There is a scuff through on the Hamilton Beach logo. Is there any way I could share pictures here?

I got mine by using a site to search ALL of craigslist- I found it in Wisconsin and I asked if they'd be willing to ship and they were!
    milkshakemaniac
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/10/18 20:21:17 (permalink)
    I have obtained a 40-DM and does it need some work... Well, cleaning mostly.  I have been able to get all 3 heads working, however, I need to find an on-off switch mechanism for one of the heads.  It has been badly red-neck engineered and will not last.  Does anyone know of a reliable parts dealer where I can find one of these switches...   It has seen lots of wear and tear and apparently never taken apart and cleaned.  The inside looks like a dried chocolate shake tin (dried for ~30+ years).  The mechanics and electrical inside are simple enough, and looks like I will need to gut it completely to get it cleaned properly.   It appears that if I do this, I may also need to find out what capacitor is located in the back of this thing. 

New to the forum, 
    milkshakemaniac
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/10/19 07:00:24 (permalink)
    Here is the one I use I bought it for $50 and it was beat up. It ran pretty good and after adjusting, cleaning, some bondo for the dents, primer, paint and clear coat I thought it came out pretty good. They still make parts for them also. I use it all the time and I am sure it will last forever...Russ

PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2010/10/19 13:55:22 (permalink)
    I agree that these old mixers work great! I have one that I would sell but it just does one drink at a time. Hmm, what kind is it? HB I think. Any interest and I will find the stock #.
    Joe
    Ken R
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2012/10/27 18:23:32 (permalink)
    The best vintage milkshake mixer is the Hamilton Beach Model 30.  Awesome engineering and build quality.  The Model 40 Triple will give you the same results when you're making shakes in volume.
    I service them on a regular basis and have many OEM and custom parts (brushes, brush caps, replacement feet, cords, etc.) available.  If your mixer isn't working properly, I'm happy to give free advice.  I'm trying to keep these mixers from entering the landfills.  Thanks!
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2012/10/27 18:55:46 (permalink)
    Work great for scrambled eggs also.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10324
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2012/10/28 02:20:26 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson
    Work great for scrambled eggs also.

The Coffee Cup Restaurant in Pensacola, FL uses one - I believe it's a single one- to whip up their eggs for omelets. I moved from P'cola to AZ 12 years ago but I can vividly remember the best, most fluffy omelets I've ever eaten produced by that machine. I'll bet it's been used to make millions of Omelets over the years. The line cook, Creola, was a master chef at making all things Breakfast related on her flat top and her omelet pans.
    She's probably retired by now but she was a supreme master at her craft!
    The place has been featured on here numerous times. http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/387/the-coffee-cup
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2012/10/28 10:34:28 (permalink)
    Found this on Google and thought it might be of interest.
    http://www.marklin-users....Beach_Triple_Mixer.htm
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/10/28 10:36:05
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2012/10/28 11:03:13 (permalink)
    thomascirca

Hi guys,

I have been searching long and hard for the ultimate milkshake. Unfortunately, my area seems to be lacking such a milkshake, so I've decided to just make my own from now on with real equipment. My blender does not do a very good job, so I've been looking at purchasing a vintage/ retro mixer. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. Here's what I've been looking at:

Hamilton Beach, Model 30 (example = )

Hamilton Beach, Model 40DM (example = )

Sterling Multimxer (example =

If anyone has any suggestions, that would be great! I'm open to any and all ideas. I was just more inclined to use a vintage, real-deal, machine as opposed to a newer one.

eBay! There's tons of them!
    ehfranz
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2012/12/02 18:51:18 (permalink)
    Just opened the motor on a Hamilton Beach Model 30 and found only one badly worn brush and spring.  I believe I have found a source for them on the web.  Worse, one of the copper clip/flat spring/electric contacts is broken. Thinking of several options for repair but am wondering if anyone either has a replacement, knows where to get one, or has a work around to suggest.  Cheers
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2013/10/21 00:11:05 (permalink)
    I'm looking for a mixer for my soft serve ice cream truck. It's much more about the function than the appearance. Is there a modern one that any of you would recommend, or should I just buy an old one
    Midnights
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 225
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2013/10/21 00:12:46 (permalink)
    I'm looking for a mixer for my soft serve ice cream truck. It's much more about the function than the appearance. Is there a modern one that any of you would recommend, or should I just buy an old one like the ones mentioned above?
    Hender
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2013/10/22 11:31:30 (permalink)
    Sounds like you know plenty about milkshake machines.  I bought a vintage Hamilton Beach model that I've never seen before but for some reason have been unable to upload it to a post here.  If you'll give me an email address I send the photos. 
    Bethlehem
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2014/02/15 15:06:26 (permalink)
    does anyone know how to remove the stirring spindle. from the motor
    sluggish
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2014/02/19 18:02:02 (permalink)
    I am completely new to the site and new to the food industry as well. I'm looking to add milkshakes to my Shave Ice setup this summer and came across this one for sale. Anyone know anything about them? Are they decent or should I just focus on getting a Hamilton Beach unit like everyone seems to swear by. It is a Waring 31DM53. I have an image of it from the ad but don't know how to upload it here. Was hoping someone knew what it was by the model number. It is a triple mixer unit if that helps. Asking price is $250, I don't even know if that is reasonable or not. Thanks for the help.

fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 804
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2014/02/21 13:28:14 (permalink)
    Russ Jackson

Here is the one I use I bought it for $50 and it was beat up. It ran pretty good and after adjusting, cleaning, some bondo for the dents, primer, paint and clear coat I thought it came out pretty good. They still make parts for them also. I use it all the time and I am sure it will last forever...Russ

Ray Kroc sold one to the Macdonald brothers. The rest is history.
    slink501
    Junior Burger
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2014/06/10 17:57:43 (permalink)
    Hello, I found you while looking for repair/parts for a vintage Hamilton Beach Malt Mixer #30.  Do you have parts for this? Do you repair? really having a hard time finding someone to fix my baby.  Thanks
    tmiles
    • Total Posts : 2011
    Re:Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2014/06/11 18:05:37 (permalink)
    Welcome slink501! To contact earlier posters (who have parts and ideas) you can wait until they get back to you (maybe never, as some, like you, have made only one post) or reach them via email starting by clicking on their name. I talk, offline, with several other members, now and then. You can learn a lot. Come on back and post your progress! 
    Chris Green
    Junior Burger
    Re: Best vintage milkshake mixer? 2014/10/14 15:27:33 (permalink)
    Hello Everyone.....I Bough a 40 DM and it needed cups....ones that came with it are wrong ones.....any Suggestions on what you use for this model ?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1