Chile Roasting - New Mexico

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2013/08/22 21:34:38 (permalink)

Chile Roasting - New Mexico

This is the season for chile roasting - that wonderful smell in the air. But the past few years it seems so quiet. I see the drums for roasting chile in parking lots, but so roasting smells, no activity, no one writing or talking about it. At least in Santa Fe, where I am.

Does anyone know what happened? Or, what part of the state might be better for chile roasting? (not necessarily Hatch, I know).

10 Replies Related Threads

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/22 22:04:08 (permalink)
    I meant to say "no" roasting smells. (sweet autumn perfume here in NM)
    Yup, what a disappointment. Does anyone know more about this?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10411
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/22 23:45:14 (permalink)
    Were there any problems with the Chile Harvest this year that you heard about?
    I see the usual number of roasters around the Hispanic Supermarkets over here in PHX. 
    Oldlowe
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/23 14:44:37 (permalink)
    Last weekend they were roasting chiles from Hatch in supermarket parking lot here in Lubbock.  by the way I asked the expert roaster if he had any Barkers.  No, he said, only Hatch.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/24 18:56:31 (permalink)
    Has anyone noticed less enthusiasm?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6559
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/24 22:21:26 (permalink)
    NYNM

For roasting chiles or posting?

Yes to both
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/25 01:18:17 (permalink)
    NYNM

Keep in mind a very, very, large number of people on here have never experienced Chile Roasting Season  in the Southwest and have no concept of what it's all about.
    Most people have never eaten New Mexico's Chile products or anything ever made with them so they can't relate.
    ERGO - Few comments.
    totillie
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/25 02:10:25 (permalink)
    From what I have read at other sites, it seems like the most of the Hatch harvest has been exported country-wide. DC. South Florida - a friend bought three pounds in West Palm last weekend. Texas, although I would guess that Texas has also has had a steady yearly supply. The MidWest.  Even New England. This is so weird. Or it's a very, very clever marketing ploy on the part of the Hatch growers.

I'm in SoCal. We've been lucky enough to get Hatch, and local roastings for years. This year, our in-town Kroger incarnation has a Hatch display! Never happened before. [And they are Big Jims! Great hot spicy taste.] A small, local upscale chain actually roasted here last weekend, also Big Jims. Never happened before. And the other small regional chain where I've bought Hatch since their opening a few years ago [saving me a 40 minute drive to a sale/roast], has a much smaller supply of Hatch than in past years.

It's kind of bizarre ...

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/25 03:45:24 (permalink)
    totillie
    From what I have read at other sites, it seems like the most of the Hatch harvest has been exported country-wide. DC. South Florida - a friend bought three pounds in West Palm last weekend. Texas, although I would guess that Texas has also has had a steady yearly supply. The MidWest.  Even New England. This is so weird. Or it's a very, very clever marketing ploy on the part of the Hatch growers.
    I'm in SoCal. We've been lucky enough to get Hatch, and local roastings for years. This year, our in-town Kroger incarnation has a Hatch display! Never happened before. [And they are Big Jims! Great hot spicy taste.] A small, local upscale chain actually roasted here last weekend, also Big Jims. Never happened before. And the other small regional chain where I've bought Hatch since their opening a few years ago [saving me a 40 minute drive to a sale/roast], has a much smaller supply of Hatch than in past years.
    It's kind of bizarre ...

The Hatch Chiles name gets abused just like The Hass (Often misspelled Haas) Avocado name.  So do Vidalia Onions.
    People think in order to be called a Hass Avocado, it must come from California when in fact they also come from Mexico, Central America and South America.
    Conversely, "Big Jim"  Chiles, while they were first grown at NM State University in the 1970's, and are grown in the Hatch NM area, they are now grown in other states & countries as well and are often passed off as Hatch Chilies.
    So just because some grocery marketer passes them off as "Hatch" Chiles, they may not have come from the Hatch NM area.
    And having been to the Hatch NM area several times and seeing how they're grown, I seriously doubt that the area could produce all the Chiles that are sold as "Hatch" Chiles.
    I'll bet those "Hatch" Chiles you have in California were actually grown in CA.
    As a matter of fact, Chile production in NM is on the decline:
    "“Maintaining our brand is important,” Representative Martinez said, even if for a declining industry. In 2011, chile peppers were harvested along 9,500 acres of land. Nearly a decade earlier in 1992, harvested fields covered more than 34,000 acres, according to the New Mexico Chile Association."
    Here's an article on the subject;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/22/us/new-mexico-seeks-new-ways-to-protect-homegrown-chile-peppers.html?_r=0
    post edited by Foodbme - 2013/08/25 04:02:39
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/25 12:54:30 (permalink)
    This is interesting. Perhaps the greater export of chiles has contributed to its less "special" nature.
    For those not familiar with the Chile Roasting culture, it has been that local venues, usually supermarket parking lots, set up huge roaster drums. You can get a large sack of chile (enough to last you thru the winter) and bring it over to the roasters. It gets cooked up and you bring the home and freeze them. They perfume the air with a seductive scent and fill the August and Sept. air. This has been going on for decades, and, at home, probably since the Hispanics settled NM in 1500's.

For me, I like Chimayo chile even more than Hatch; it's called "Holy Chile" because Chimayo has a special shrine that attracts Hispanic Catholics for pilgrimages, maybe with some chile and tamales on the side.
    scrumptiouschef
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 698
    Re:Chile Roasting - New Mexico 2013/08/27 11:41:42 (permalink)
    I did my part to keep the tradition alive out here in Austin last week. Bought a 30lb case and roasted them on top of a buddy's fire box attached to his mammoth commercial smoker.

They're in the freezer right now and will draw down on them over the next 11 months.

Recipe: Hatch chile and smoked brisket stew http://www.scrumptiousche...t-And-Hatch-Chile-Stew
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1