Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business

Author
Sun Spot
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 17
2013/08/18 19:56:52 (permalink)

Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business

Hi.  Just recently found your site, and all the helpful contributors on it.  I've been in the food concession business three years now, Sun Spot sells mini donuts at fairs, festivals and farmers markets.  In the winter we can add coffee/tea/hot chocolate and cider, during the summer it is lemonade.  Mostly we are in the greater Seattle area.

I started as a "mobile food booth", we were in a renovated pop-up trailer.  Set-up and take down was quick, but it was too small to allow any expansion, such as the addition of coffee/tea or fresh lemonade.  In our second year we moved into a food booth and added fresh squeezed lemonade to the business during the hotter summer months.  However we spend an hour or two in set-up and another hour in breakdown.  Now in a third year, we are gutting a 1965 travel trailer and renovating it.  Haven't decided if we'll license it with the State (which will allow us to travel and not get a permit for every festival or farmers market we set up at,  but rather a county permit), or still continue to license per location as a "mobile food booth", which reduces flexibility but might allow us to not need to get a hood and a fire suppression system for the trailer.  Still trying to puzzle out the regulations.

We are busy in the late spring, summer and early fall, and then a blip for some holiday shows.  Over the years, we've built a good reputation for a quality product, but I'll need to step it up a notch - perhaps selling close to a transit base for morning rush hours?  Otherwise it will just be a hobby providing a nice part time job to folks who work for me, and not a paying job for me.

I'm enjoying the forum.  I've been reading some old posts, and new ones, and learning as I go.

Thanks,
-Pam
Sun Spot 

9 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10270
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/19 02:47:49 (permalink)
    Welcome! We have a lot of Roadfooders in your area.
    Do you use Facebook or a web site or other social media to let people know where you are?
    If so, I'm sure some RF'ers would stop by.
    Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/19 03:05:43 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Welcome! We have a lot of Roadfooders in your area.
    Do you use Facebook or a web site or other social media to let people know where you are?
    If so, I'm sure some RF'ers would stop by.

Yes to all of the above.  I tried posting the links, but I'm too new to the forum.  If they go to the sites (facebook, twitter, tumblr) and search for "SunSpotMinis" and we should pop up.  Our web site domain is "Sun-Spot.biz"

I would love to see Roadfooders come on by.  We post where we are going to be next regularly.
    post edited by Sun Spot - 2013/08/19 03:08:37
    ElementalUnity
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 4
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/24 09:58:33 (permalink)
    Hi Sirloin,

Like you I am very new to the forum.  I have been in the restaurant industry 15 years now, recently been working for myself... about to co own an already established restaurant.  Next year will mark my first year doing festivals and fairs.  Besides all that I have been doing Internet Marketing for over seven years.  Here is a helpful tip for you.  I would recommend you changing your website's domain name.  Not many people are going to remember .biz.  They automatically want to go to a .com.  With that said I love that you already have SunSpotMinis on all of your social media.  With a quick research I do see that sunspotminis.com is not taken.  I suggest switching to this domain.

Best of Luck,
    JIM
    daddywoofdawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 299
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/24 18:00:29 (permalink)
    second that.

bartl
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1312
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/25 09:41:19 (permalink)
    dsmenu Just wondering, are you using digital signage on your shop front?

You do realize that it's OK to send messages that are not for the sole purpose of promoting your business?

Bart
    ElementalUnity
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/26 15:19:23 (permalink)
    What he is trying to say DS is that not ever forum post you make should be solely about trying to gain business.  Add value to the conversation.
    Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/26 21:01:26 (permalink)
    ElemantalUnity - thanks for the suggestion. I got the website with .biz since .com wasn't available. It was a just this year that I consolidated my social media under SunSpotMinis, didn't think of changing my domain name.  I like it.  And since I was planning to update/improve my website, I'll do it under the new domain and then when I'm ready, point the old one over.

So now I'm the owner of SunSpotMinis.com too.  Thanks again.
    ElementalUnity
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/27 08:02:02 (permalink)
    Hey Sunspot...

That is great news!  Just got a chance to look at your site, and congrats on going over to Tumbler as well.  Remember in all of your social media only about 30% should be about yourself.  Try to help others and you will grow your list exponentially.  Another suggestion I would make is when you redo your site make it a wordpress site, so you can easily update.  If you need any help in the redesign or on your social media campaigns I would be glad to help.

Here's to our future!

Sun Spot
    Junior Burger
    Re:Hi, Just Introducing Myself and My Business 2013/08/28 14:24:17 (permalink)
    ElementalUnity

Hey Sunspot...

That is great news!  Just got a chance to look at your site, and congrats on going over to Tumbler as well.  Remember in all of your social media only about 30% should be about yourself.  Try to help others and you will grow your list exponentially.  Another suggestion I would make is when you redo your site make it a wordpress site, so you can easily update.  If you need any help in the redesign or on your social media campaigns I would be glad to help.

Here's to our future!

Thank you Elemental.  I understand the concept (help others) but what do you mean?  I do have an active presence helping others who are investigating opening a mini donut business, but I've been moving that to e-mail and off social media since my social media goal has been to connect with potential customers (both donut buyers and venues) as well as network with other food sellers.

Do you have some examples of what you mean?  And do you have a social media place that I can friend?

Thanks again.

-Pam
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1