Hot!Indy eats

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
rstolcis
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/04/04 14:15:55 (permalink)

Indy eats

Next week I will be traveling from STL to Indianapolis. Any suggestions on top foodie stops in route or while in Indy?

60 Replies Related Threads

danimal15
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1092
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/22 09:56:01 (permalink)
    Shapiro's deli in downtown Indianapolis is great! Like being in Manhattan. I've been there a number of times and am never disappointed with their corned beef and pastrami.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7694
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/22 10:59:53 (permalink)
    Definitely Hollyhock Hill

for some great fried Chicken.

Mug n Bun for the rootbeer only (do not get the dreaded pork tenderloin- it's horrible)

Gray's Cafeteria- about 20 minutes outside of Indianapolis but well worth it for their Fried Chicken, Banana Cream Pie, Raisin Pie and just about everything else.

californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/22 11:14:13 (permalink)
    AM NOT SURE IF YOUR ROUTE WILL SWING BY SEYMOUR INDIANA..IF SO YOU COULD DO NO BETTER THAN TO STOP AT THE WONDERFUL LARRISONS DINER  http://larrisonsdiner.com/  THERE..GREAT BREAKFASTS, INCREDIBLE PORK TENDERLOIN, AMAZING SPECIALS, REAL SMALL TOWN FEEL AND LOTS OF JOHN MELLENCAMP MEMORABILIA ALSO....WORTH A STOP OR DETOUR FOR ANY ROADFOODER
    badart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/25 15:09:26 (permalink)
    Workingman's Friend for burgers, just don't go there late expecting dinner, they are only open until 8pm. Get the double with onion rings!

I'll second Hollyhock Hill and Shapiro's (the downtown location).
    rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1020
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/25 15:59:19 (permalink)
    I was just in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago. 

Let me preface this comment by saying I've been going to Hollyhock Hill since I was a child (50-odd years), and I love it.  But the food is not quite as consistently good as it used to be. The chicken there is still excellent.  So are the salads/relishes, and the ice cream with a trio of toppings.

But the green beans have been changed and are no longer slow-cooked, and the "biscuits" are awful -- they taste like they are out of a vacuum can.   

I also had lunch at Gray Brothers.  Their fried chicken is quite good, though I prefer my chicken disjointed (as at Hollyhock Hill), rather than in quarters. I choose the fried chicken livers when they have them (they are not available every day). Their pies (I had cherry) are also very good, although the pie I had was not over-generous with the fruit.   They are open pretty much all day.  I went at about 2 p.m. on a Friday, and everything was fresh and tasty, but I've heard that if you go during an off-hour, some dishes can be a little tired. On the other hand, if you go during prime dining time, you'll wait in line, perhaps for a long time.

Rudy Mutt
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/25 16:07:59 (permalink)
    TRY THE STEER IN AT 10TH AND EMERSON ST.
    A TRUE ROADFOOD KIND OF PLACE.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 431
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/30 08:29:05 (permalink)
    rumaki

I was just in Indianapolis a couple of weeks ago. 

Let me preface this comment by saying I've been going to Hollyhock Hill since I was a child (50-odd years), and I love it.  But the food is not quite as consistently good as it used to be. The chicken there is still excellent.  So are the salads/relishes, and the ice cream with a trio of toppings.

But the green beans have been changed and are no longer slow-cooked, and the "biscuits" are awful -- they taste like they are out of a vacuum can.   

I also had lunch at Gray Brothers.  Their fried chicken is quite good, though I prefer my chicken disjointed (as at Hollyhock Hill), rather than in quarters. I choose the fried chicken livers when they have them (they are not available every day). Their pies (I had cherry) are also very good, although the pie I had was not over-generous with the fruit.   They are open pretty much all day.  I went at about 2 p.m. on a Friday, and everything was fresh and tasty, but I've heard that if you go during an off-hour, some dishes can be a little tired. On the other hand, if you go during prime dining time, you'll wait in line, perhaps for a long time.

I completely agree about Hollyhick Hill.  The green beans & biscuits have definitely gone downhill.  After my last visit I sent an email to the owner of Hollyhock Hill about the green beans & biscuits.  So far, several months later, no answer. 
    Very disappointing.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/04/30 09:02:59 (permalink)
    If  luck is in my court I'm hoping to be in Indianapolis over Labor Day weekend in September .

Any thoughts on Iron Skillet or the Kopper Kettle in Morristown vs Hollyhock Hill?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/01 11:40:38 (permalink)
    Any thoughts on Iron Skillet or the Kopper Kettle in Morristown vs Hollyhock Hill
    --

BUMP- Anyone?
    stageranger
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/01 15:34:02 (permalink)
    Pa & Ma's BBQ on W 27th Street is worth a visit for lunch. Sketchy neighborhood. Tiny corner storferont with a few booths and a coke machine standing in the dining area. Good ribs, great home cooked sides ( collards, mac & cheese etc.) and for hot food lovers, one of the hottest commercial bbq sauces ever. Be warned: so hot it will burn you twice. Don't miss the sweet potato pie for dessert. This place is pure roadfood. Enjoy!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10115
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/02 02:06:48 (permalink)
    Though not exactly "Roadfood", St Elmo's Steakhouse is an Indy Icon. So if you've never been there, it's worth checking it out if for nothing else but their Fire Breathing Shrimp Cocktail and a beer.
    As Iconic Steakhouse's go, it's up there with Burn's in Tampa, (Almost).
    St. Elmo`s Shrimp Cocktail
    Serves Difficulty Level: 3 Ready In: > 5 hrs
    Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons fresh horseradish -- coarsely grated
    1/2 cup cider vinegar -- for soaking
    The Sauce
    2 cups chili sauce
    2 squirts fresh lemon juice
    4 large squirts fresh lime juice
    16 jumbo steamed shrimp -- peeled and deveined -- leave tails on
    lemon wedges -- as desired
    Directions:
    (THE SECRET IS GOOD FRESH, HOT HORSERADISH ROOT)
    Shave the horseradish and place in a covered container along with the vinegar. Refrigerate overnight.
    Next day, drain the horseradish.
    Mix two tablespoons of the horseradish with the chili sauce. Add lemon juice and lime juice.
    Place four cooked shrimp in each serving vessel surround with lemon wedges and about 1/2 cup of the sauce for each serving.
    Source: St. Elmo's Restaurant; 127 S. Illinois St., Indianapolis, IN 46225; 317-635-0636
    post edited by Foodbme - 2011/05/02 02:21:26
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/02 10:14:31 (permalink)
    Any thoughts on Iron Skillet or the Kopper Kettle in Morristown vs Hollyhock Hill
    --
    Bump-
    Anyone?
    ALLGOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 167
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/02 13:13:58 (permalink)
    I have a friend who is in Indy right now and he said he is taking a customer to St. Elmo's Steakhouse for dinner tonight.  He's been there in the past and he said it is fantastic.  I could kick myself because I was supposed to be on that trip too!
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/03 08:40:30 (permalink)
    --
    Bump-
    Anyone?
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/03 09:17:08 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

--
    Bump-
    Anyone?

If by Iron Skillet you mean the ones at the Petro truck stops then I wouldn't bother. Don't get me wrong, I've had the CFS and it was quite good. The buffet was better than an average buffet but all in all, this is a dime a dozen place that you can find on a lot of interstates in a lot of areas. Don't rush there.

DT
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/03 09:39:21 (permalink)
    Davwud

wanderingjew

--
    Bump-
    Anyone?

If by Iron Skillet you mean the ones at the Petro truck stops then I wouldn't bother. Don't get me wrong, I've had the CFS and it was quite good. The buffet was better than an average buffet but all in all, this is a dime a dozen place that you can find on a lot of interstates in a lot of areas. Don't rush there.

DT

Actually, no, I'm familiar with the generic truck stop chain "Iron Skillet" (I can smell a chain from a mile away believe it or not!) 
    the place I'm referring to is a completely local independent roadfood style restaurant  in Indianapolis

http://www.ironskillet.net/
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2011/05/03 09:40:47
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/03 11:05:11 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

Davwud

wanderingjew

--
    Bump-
    Anyone?

DT

Actually, no, I'm familiar with the generic truck stop chain "Iron Skillet" (I can smell a chain from a mile away believe it or not!) 
    the place I'm referring to is a completely local independent roadfood style restaurant  in Indianapolis

http://www.ironskillet.net/

I figured as much.

DT
    Bob45
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/03 17:28:11 (permalink)
    PapaRoux, 10th and Post Rd. Great cajun food, po boys and unlimited free sides and Iced Tea if you eat in. Also Maxinnes Chicken and Waffles, Ohio and East, great food.
    claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/07 07:48:56 (permalink)
    Even with the changes in green beans & rolls, I would still go to Hollyhock Hill for just the chicken.  And the tradition, still a go to place for family celebrations.
    If I were traveling near by Morristown, I would try the Kopper Kettle, but not go out of my way.  I have only been to Iron Skillet once many years ago, so I can't comment.
    I would go to Steer Inn, inside hasn't changed in years.  Lots of local school stuff on the walls, great tenderloin, best coleslaw I've had in a long time.
    Don't miss Grey's Cafeteria, I get chicken livers when they are available & pie, don't forget the pie.  Grey's has a separate take out section with a steam table,you get in line & pick out your food, we use it a lot.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/07 10:06:11 (permalink)
    claracamille

Even with the changes in green beans & rolls, I would still go to Hollyhock Hill for just the chicken.  And the tradition, still a go to place for family celebrations.
    If I were traveling near by Morristown, I would try the Kopper Kettle, but not go out of my way.  I have only been to Iron Skillet once many years ago, so I can't comment.
    I would go to Steer Inn, inside hasn't changed in years.  Lots of local school stuff on the walls, great tenderloin, best coleslaw I've had in a long time.
    Don't miss Grey's Cafeteria, I get chicken livers when they are available & pie, don't forget the pie.  Grey's has a separate take out section with a steam table,you get in line & pick out your food, we use it a lot.

Thanks claracamille

This will likely be my last visit to Indianapolis (if I'm able to make the trip to begin with) and I've been to Hollyhock Hill several times and loved it- I think I can probably visit both Iron Skillet and Kopper Kettle this time around and since I didn't really have a chance to revisit Gray's the last time around I will definitely be heading back there too.
    mcguirejohnr
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 111
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/17 18:00:38 (permalink)
    +1 for Elmos Steakhouse...I love that shrimp cocktail.  Thanks to Foodbme for the recipe.  The closest I ever found was Golds Spicy Cocktail Sauce...the kind that comes in the refrigerated section (although the standard bottles on the shelf are pretty good too).
    badart
    Junior Burger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/19 13:39:36 (permalink)
    If you don't want a steak at St Elmo's (I've done this before), just stop in for the shrimp cocktail and then head elsewhere for dinner. Also, Harry and Izzy's is right next door and is owned (partially by Peyton Manning as well) by the same folks at St Elmo's and they have the same shrimp cocktail, but the entree offerings differ slightly.

Another more Road Food worthy selection, Edwards Drive In for pork tenderloins and onion rings is a good choice. I wish some of the rib shacks of my youth were still around like Zeb's, man I miss that place.
    Root-Beer Man
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 369
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/19 18:43:59 (permalink)
    There's always Bub's Burgers in Carmel, IN. Try the Big Ugly Elk burger. There's also a Shapiro's in Carmel, just down the road from Bub's.
    badart
    Junior Burger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/20 16:42:08 (permalink)
    Just picked up Shapiro's peppered beef and poppy seed rolls the other day to take home after a day at the track. Yummy, had the last of it for lunch today.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6366
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/20 16:55:27 (permalink)
    Dale

If you have not been to Iron Skillet or Copper Kettle and want the comparison then I would choose Iron Skillet over Hollyhock Hill & Copper Kettle

There have been too many worsening reviews of HHH, much to my sadness.  I havent been to the Iron Skillet in 5-6 yrs, but it is worth the chance to try it.

Not sure about Copper Kettle, its been too long for me to say.

Your bumps reminded me of "Bueller???  Bueller??  Bueller??"
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/20 17:33:46 (permalink)
    CajunKing

Dale

If you have not been to Iron Skillet or Copper Kettle and want the comparison then I would choose Iron Skillet over Hollyhock Hill & Copper Kettle

There have been too many worsening reviews of HHH, much to my sadness.  I havent been to the Iron Skillet in 5-6 yrs, but it is worth the chance to try it.

Not sure about Copper Kettle, its been too long for me to say.

Your bumps reminded me of "Bueller???  Bueller??  Bueller??"

Donald,

Thanks for the input.

I'm not anticipating this trip until labor day weekend. 
    Hey, and you're more than welcome to join me (and any other Indy folks too for that matter) .

By the way if Claracamille hadn't responded, I think "Bueller" was going to be the next bump! 

claracamille
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/21 10:26:34 (permalink)
    St Elmo's is a bucket list place in Indy.  Lots of atmosphere, waiters in bowties, always noisy, a lot going on, you may see a pro football or pro baksetball player or celebrity. 
    The shrimp coctail is the best ever.  I have to ask for more chili sauce to mix with the sauce(it is really just pink fresh grated horseradish).  My husband eats it straight.  However, lately, we have not been impressed with the steaks, sides, etc.   Downtown you can get better steaks & sides at Ruth's Cris, Mortons, or Mo's.
    North of 465, Petersons,, Ruth's Cris, Fleming's & our favorite, Sullivan's.  If you want to try an old fashioned steak house, try Murphy's Steakhouse on Keystone AV near the Fairgrounds.  Good steak(not prime) & sides, very dark, older waitress' who call you "honey".  We like it.
    badart
    Junior Burger
    Re:Indy eats 2011/05/23 17:12:01 (permalink)
    I will agree with the above assessment regarding the quality of steaks at St Elmo's these days. After having eaten at most of the top Prime steak restaurants in Chicago (Morton's, Gene and Georghetti's, Ruth's Chris, Harry Caray's, etc.) I can say that St Elmo's aren't in the same ballpark but still charge roughly the same price. That's why the past few times we had a drink and the shrimp, then ate elsewhere.

rumaki
    • Total Posts : 1020
    Re:Indy eats 2011/06/29 14:00:24 (permalink)
    Let me second Murphy's.    It's great fun and a real throwback to another era.  The steaks are OK, but their fried lobster is wonderful.  And I enjoy their fried mushrooms (with cocktails -- they make 'em the old-fashioned way), and some of the sides -- especially the hot salad (I think it's called the monster salad) and the green beans, which you can order instead of potatoes, and which I prefer.   AND they have homemade blackberry cobbler.

The building was originally a Frisch's Big Boy, but has been redecorated inside with a dark, pub-like feel. 
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1