Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use?

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2013/05/09 15:56:23 (permalink)

Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use?

I came across some articles the other day looking for sources for knife roll ups that Emergency and Trauma physicians in the UK have made a recommendation a few years ago that long, sharp cutlery should be banned due to deep organ damage. That was the result of a study of injuries and assaults associated with kitchen knives. The study consulted with professional chefs that concluded there is no reason for the general public to have any need for a long, sharp knife that has a pointed end. I can agree that a point on a chef's knife is generally useless except for the narrowing contour it gives for rock chopping given other specialty knives being better suited for the same purpose. Yet a boning or fillet knife a point is absolutely necessary in a 6"-7" or so blade. I probably can do without the Chef's, or at least work with something heavy like one with heavier blade and round end. It wouldn't be much of a loss to me outside the boning knife if such laws were adopted here.

I only bring this up, because ignorant, professional, recommendations like this give politicians and advocacy groups with idle minds a devil's playground and gain traction if decisions by CPSC of recent years in the name of protecting us from ourselves are any indicator. While the logic of knife wound statistics isn't the same here with the UK and parts of the EC having a virtual ban on handguns and knives there are primary assault weapons unlike the states. This reasoning can eventually affect the EC member states where most quality knife manufacturers reside and impact their products.

Knife control very well may be the next frontier given Homeland Security's/TSA already preoccupation with them of any kind as weapons. I cannot for the life of me comprehend why a professional chef would consider that chef's or boning knife has no business in a domestic kitchen and the public really has no need for such a utensil here in the states as they did in the UK. There have been no laws that I know of passed there yet, but it's probably just a matter of time and a few very well publicized incidents much like they did with stove top chip pans suddenly becoming a lethal threat to the public to push it into law.

11 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3652
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/09 16:57:39 (permalink)
    If you end up injuring your "deep organs" while using a kitchen knife of any kind, you probably should have it taken away from you. I mean, seriously...I've been cooking for 30 or so years, and I can honestly say I have never once come anywhere close to accidentally stabbing myself in the abdomen while chopping anything. Cuts on my hands, sure. I can even see where you might accidentally cut off a finger. But organs? What the heck are these people doing??

As for assaults...well, yeah. People tend to stab other people with larger knives. Do they also want to ban hunting knives? Are only professional butchers to be allowed to process a deer? Because you can take away all the kitchen knives you want, but if someone still owns a blade capable of gutting a deer, they can surely use it to gut a person.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/09 17:15:03 (permalink)
    My Carpenter wants to ban people other than Carpenters, from using hammers, says they are apt to hit themselves in the head.
    The idiocy of it all is never ending.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/09 17:42:44 (permalink)
    At one point, about three years ago, the British government was looking into a ban on all knives with sharp points, even for commercial use.
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 11:03:04 (permalink)
    Well, let's do these in their proper order:
    1. Ban all types of guns, even squirt guns, since they could be filled with acid.
    2. Ban all swords, axes, hatchets and tools with a sharp edge.
    3. Ban all knives, except table knives.
    4. Ban all needles, except knitting needles.
    5. Ban all scissors, except blunt kindergarten scissors.
    6. Ban all types of hammers, including sledge hammers.
    7. Ban all bricks, cement blocks and stones weighing over 1 pound.
    8. Ban all skillets and cast iron pots.
    9. Ban all insect sprays, acids (including vinegar), lye and toxic chemicals.
    10 Ban all vehicles that could run over or hit a person.
    11. Ban all objects a person could fall from (airplanes, ladders, roofs, etc)
    12. What else have we forgotten?
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7778
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 11:16:55 (permalink)
    Kitchens of the UK.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3652
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 12:20:01 (permalink)
    6star 
    4. Ban all needles, except knitting needles. 

You could easily kill someone with a knitting needle, even though they're blunt. They're really solid, so driving one into someone's eye and then their brain would be a snap.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5117
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 12:28:06 (permalink)
    CCinNJ

Kitchens of the UK.

I like this idea.

CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 12:36:39 (permalink)
    Grapefruit spoons are still in-play.

Just wait until midnight EST...
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4567
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 13:04:42 (permalink)
    I probably mentioned this before, but, I believe caulking guns should have been included in the Brady Bill.  Sometimes a homeowner can do just as much damage with a caulking gun as a Saturday Night Special.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 13:06:35 (permalink)
    Ban all verbal and Internet communication, as it could be used to talk someone into jumping off a bridge!
    Ban the use of hands, as it's been proven they have been used to choke people.
    Ban all sex as it can lead to Prostitution.
    Ban all trees as they frequently fall on people
    Ban all boats as people fall off them and drown.
    Ban all laughing, as it can lead to coughing, which can lead to choking
    Ban all Post Offices, as people frequently go there and shoot co workers
    Ban men and women, as they commit most of the crimes here.
    Much more is needed here!
    CCinNJ
    Sirloin
    Re:Long, Sharp Cutlery Too Dangerous For Domestic Use? 2013/05/10 13:54:44 (permalink)
    Drink cozies.

Drink faster...or get a new cold can of whatever.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1