Hot!Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4098
2008/10/12 07:35:13 (permalink)

Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved

There are Pittsburgh expatriates all over the country, that's why the Steelers seem to have a "home field advantage" even when they play away. Here in Collin County (suburb North of Dallas) I have noticed three sports bars which advertise "All Steelers Games!". No other "foreign" team is so featured here in the heart of Cowboy Country.

The population of Greater Pittsburgh is pretty much the same as when I left for graduate school in 1969: 2,000,000. Had the career prospects been there I would have returned, but the grass was greener in Northern Virginia. Had the Pittsburgh economy not been affliced by "hardening of the arteries" the population would have been 4,000,000 by now. Interestingly, my four children - all born and raised in Redskin Country - are all Steelers fans!

Sad, but true: the major industry in Greater Pittsburgh is now health care for its aging population. In my youth Pennsylvania had the same number of Electoral Votes as California and Texas was just another "Southern state". I figure that I am just one among several million scattered about the Sun Belt who still consider Pittsburgh to be home. Times indeed have changed, but our loyalties never will.

So, here is a place to remember the food and the life we once enjoyed and a place for the 2,000,000 who still live there to make us hunger to return, even if just for a visit.
BLACK & GOLD forever!

257 Replies Related Threads

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2980
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 09:35:08 (permalink)
    CHIPPED HAM!
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 09:52:25 (permalink)
    Metroplex...Were you in Pittsburgh in the late 80's early 90's? Anyone?
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 984
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 11:47:05 (permalink)
    Your sentence about the food, life and hunger to return sums up how we feel about the Niagara Falls/Buffalo area, Jim.
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 12:10:26 (permalink)
    Here's to the memories:

Watching the incomparable Roberto Clemente at Three Rivers. Listening to Bob Prince say: "Let's get some chicken on the hill with Will."

Taking the high school sweetheart to the Samurai Steakhouse and taking the incline to Le Mont for Chateaubriand.

Going to my first rock concert at Civic Arena to watch J Geils open for Emerson Lake and Palmer in Nov. 71.

Myron Cope.

Duck a l'orange at the top of the US Steel Buiding.

Isaly's and Sweet William's.

The Boss at Syria Mosque just before "Born to Run" came out. Aug 75.

The Post-Gazette Sunday funnies.

Here's to salt-of-the-earth steel workers like my dad.

Not a bad list, and I grew up in Youngstown.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 13:13:57 (permalink)
    Brick Alley (Iron City Houserockers) at The Decade

Norm Nardini and The Tigers, The Silencers with Warren King

Community College of Allegheny County (South Campus)

Watching air shows at the Allegheny County Airport from the slag heap... Watching the glow as the rail cars dumped slag at night

Fish sandwiches at Dorido's in South Park... pizza and hoagies at Danny's and Beto's in South Park

Post Gazette in the morning, Press in the late afternoon

Loving/hating/loving Prince, but detesting Hamilton, and kinda liking Frattere

Cope in the late '60s/early '70s; "SOS again this year; Same Old Steelers..."

Party Pretzel with Ed and Wendy King

Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 13:15:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

I moved away in '87.
    mmarkovitz
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 80
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 13:53:27 (permalink)
    Who remembers "These's No Winky's in Wilmerding"? Who remember's Winky's? Isaly's had the BEST Chipped Ham but also Skyscraper cones. Station Street Original, open 23 hours a day, along with The Dirty "O".
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 14:44:58 (permalink)
    OMG! Somebody remembers the Silencers (not to be confused with the Minneapolis Silencers). "Modern Love" and "Peter Gunn Theme". Killer songs.

And the Iron City Houserockers. "Have a Good Time But Get Out Alive."

WDVE.
    Russ Jackson
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2257
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 14:54:29 (permalink)
    Iron City Beer in tiny cans?

...Russ
    Russ Jackson
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 15:01:16 (permalink)
    Can you guys and gals from Pittsburgh answer a question for me. Why is the Steelers Logo only on one side of the helmet?

...Russ
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 15:55:13 (permalink)
    The colors were chosen to promote the attributes for steel: yellow lightens your work; orange brightens your leisure; and blue widens your world. The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap

The Steelers liked the idea presented by Republic Steel, despite the fact that the company was located in the city of their bitterest rival, the Cleveland Browns, and proudly sported the new logo on their helmets for the 1962 season. After qualifying that year for their first-ever postseason game, they changed the color of their helmets from gold to solid black, which also served to highlight the new logo they felt had brought them good luck.

The new Steelmark logo was originally only applied to one side of the helmet (the right side) by equipment manager Jack Hart because the Steelers were uncertain how it would look on their solid gold helmets. Even when they later switched their helmet color to solid black, they decided to permanently retain the logo on just the one side due to the team's new success and the interest generated by the logo's uniqueness. The Steelers are now the only team in the NFL to sport its logo on only one side of the helmet.

Russ Jackson
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 16:07:20 (permalink)
    I have been working on a deal for the last 15 months that will make me move to Pittsburgh. Having visited there several times in the past year or so I will say this. First it is nothing like I expected. Pittsburgh is clean, beautiful, historic, and some of the nicest people of any big city I have ever spent time in. The residents love there city and love to talk about it. Doors are opened for women and still a lot of suit and ties. Drivers are way more pleasant than anywhere in Ohio. A great variation in nationalities and food. Locals are passionate about there city, food and most of all sports. They are also very willing to share information with non-locals. I am looking forward to my move if it happens...Russ
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 22:34:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Capybara91

OMG! Somebody remembers the Silencers (not to be confused with the Minneapolis Silencers). "Modern Love" and "Peter Gunn Theme". Killer songs.

WDVE.

Capybara, there are two things that you have to do.

First, watch this Joe Grushecky music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZ4olrxr7o

Second, go here and order the documentary about Joe Grushecky: http://www.flatbrokeproductions.com/agoodlifemovie.htm

I was a HUGE Silencers fan; the high point of their set was "Secret Agent Man" segueing into "Peter Gunn"! I was at The Decade one night when Albert Collins played there; during his encore he called out, "Where's Warren? Warren, ma' man, c'mon up here!" And Warren King, who was truly and totally lit up, barely coherent, got up on stage and jammed with Albert Collins, and completely held his own.

Steelers fans should head over to http://www.steelersfever.com and register; tell 'em Mosca sent you! I know Mamaduck43 has dual citizenship.
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/12 23:10:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

quote:

WDVE.

Capybara, there are two things that you have to do.

First, watch this Joe Grushecky music video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoZ4olrxr7o

Second, go here and order the documentary about Joe Grushecky: http://www.flatbrokeproductions.com/agoodlifemovie.htm

I was a HUGE Silencers fan; the high point of their set was "Secret Agent Man" segueing into "Peter Gunn"! I was at The Decade one night when Albert Collins played there; during his encore he called out, "Where's Warren? Warren, ma' man, c'mon up here!" And Warren King, who was truly and totally lit up, barely coherent, got up on stage and jammed with Albert Collins, and completely held his own.

Steelers fans should head over to http://www.steelersfever.com and register; tell 'em Mosca sent you! I know Mamaduck49 has dual citizenship.

Thank you, Mosca! Joe's all salt-and-pepper now, kinda like me. I really liked "A Good Life." We all need a good-feeling, no regrets song these days. So then, of course, I had to hang around on YouTube to listen to "Goodbye Steeltown". Then I went on ebay to buy Rhino's Iron City Houserockers collection. I still have "Have a Good Time..." on cassette and it's gotten kind of wobbly-sounding. Wish I could find "Rock and Roll Enforcers" on CD.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 08:02:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Baah Ben

I was born in 1948 and lived in Eighty-Four until 1962 when we moved to New Wilmington. I stayed there through college and left for grad school at U.Va in 1969. Even though I lived in Virginia until 2005 and Texas since, I always go the Pittsburgh area several times a year to visit family and friends.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 08:17:42 (permalink)
    quote:

Going to my first rock concert at Civic Arena to watch J Geils open for Emerson Lake and Palmer in Nov. 71.

I was there, too! They opened the roof of the Civic Arena that night and had the U.S. Steel building fully lit.

Before the concert we ate at the Top of the Triangle and had the Chateaubriand jardenaire. That was the first time I ever enjoyed broccoli (my family always boiled the (crap) out of it).

When we lived in New Wilmington I saw a lot of Youngstown. And I saw a lot IN Youngstown's Park Burlesque!
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 09:03:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:

I was there, too! They opened the roof of the Civic Arena that night and had the U.S. Steel building fully lit.

Before the concert we ate at the Top of the Triangle and had the Chateaubriand jardenaire. That was the first time I ever enjoyed broccoli (my family always boiled the (crap) out of it).

When we lived in New Wilmington I saw a lot of Youngstown. And I saw a lot IN Youngstown's Park Burlesque!

I could tell you some stories about the Park Burlesque (parking lot stories) but they would be inappropriate for this forum and would seem tame by today's standards. Wasn't there an Amish community near New Wilmington? My dad loved horses and he would take us for Sunday drives for ice cream and we'd go into PA and we'd pass the carriages. It seemed to relax him after days in the mill. Think he just liked the smell of manure and to hear the clip-clop of the horses.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10267
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 11:45:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

CHIPPED HAM!

Not just chipped ham-----ISLEY'S CHIPPED HAM!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 11:57:20 (permalink)
    I was in the Sigma Tau Gamma Frat House at Indiana State Teachers College with my brothers when MAZ hit the home run to win the World Series. We grabbed the beer, loaded into cars and drove to the Burgh to get in on the celebration! Cruised the streets 'til dawn and headed back to campus. I always think about that every year about this time! Great times!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 12:02:57 (permalink)
    There's a Bar, Harold's, in Cave Creek AZ just north of Scottsdale that's owned by an expat. Steelers fans gather there every Sunday morning in season to watch the Steelers Games. Good Grub too!http://www.haroldscorral.com

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 16:42:33 (permalink)
    OMG!!!! The memories.... My dad was an Allegheny County Policeman, and I grew up in one of the log cabins in North Park... I ended up marrying a Duquesne U. grad and off we went to an AirForce life - - - - lived 16 places in 24 years and ended up retiring (and divorcing) in Hawaii.... The one constant through all of those years was the Pittsburgh connection.... The Steelers, of course 24/7/365, and the Pirates in the good years - - I will admit to being a fair weather Pirate fan. I was at the U. of Pa in Philly when Maz hit the homer.... My house mother in the dorm was also a Pirate fan and she treated me to a steak dinner that night!!!!

Every trip 'home' consists of frantic running around to visit relatives - - why is it always easier for me to visit them than for them to visit me??? - - and the endless search for old favorite foods and restaurants... Arsenal kielbasa - - homemade hot sausage from Giels market in Allison Park on Middle road and the yellow belt - - Ethels chocolates - - and coconut eggs from Yetters in Millvale..... I remember the skyscraper cones (whitehouse was a favorite flavor) and klondikes from Isaly Hqs. on the Boulevard.... And chipped ham - - I can get one market to shave ham for me here in Colorado, but it just isn't the same... My mom visited us one time while we were living in the UK - - we picked her up at Gatwick AP, and on our way through London, she opened up her carryon and handed me 5 pounds of chipped ham... We found a bakery, bought some rolls and had sandwiches on our way home.... It is a wonder she wasn't arrested!!!!

One of the few times that I have had my whole gang of kids and grandkids together was at my mothers funeral - - she lived a wonderful long life, and one of the 'must do' things was for my ex and I to conjure up a mystery trip for the day after the funeral/celebration.... We did the pilgrimage to North Park pool (where I grew up), Divine Providence Alpha School, St. Ursulas and Hampton HS... Also we went to Horace Mann School on California Ave and Oliver HS (where my ex went)..... We stopped at the bakeries that we grew up with, drove past West View Park (or where it used to be), and to the houses that we lived in on two short stays in the 'Burgh while he was active duty.... We checked out the YMWHA and IKS where we swam and coached, and the campuses of Robert Morris, Duquesne and Pitt - - my two older kids went to Pitt for a while but transferred to U of Hawaii..... Had a dog and fries at the 'O', and then we even took them past our favorite 'parking' places.... It was an absolutely glorious day, filled with laughter, tears and oodles of memories - - and blackmail material to last a lifetime....

At this time of the year, that part of the country is exceptionally beautiful... No place in this country has a more colorful autumn... And the roadside stands with cider, pumpkins and goats milk fudge were a great part of our annual roadtrips through the countryside....

I loved the old Folk Festivals, sponsored by the Tamburitzans of Duquesne University - - You could pig out for days at the food booths there.... Great ethnic eats, a wonderful show and impromptu dancing in the food halls... And when the Arena dome opened up, a collective sigh would go up from the stands.... Such good memories...
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 16:43:29 (permalink)
    How about these? Watching and meeting the Vogues at the Red Rooster(?) back in the 60's. Also "Duke" in the 7 oz. 48 in a case beer. The little Rolling Rocks were almost as good but they had to be ice cold. And the Dirty O. And what about the old AHL team who played in the old arena?
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 17:08:57 (permalink)
    Forbes Field. Every seat was guaranteed to be behind a steel girder! Didn't matter if it was a Pirates or Steelers Game.
    Bobby Layne staying out all night Saturday nite and showing up for the game Sunday drunk as a skunk and winning the game! (May be an urban legend but makes a great story!) Who could forget the "Curse of Bobby Layne"? In 1958, the Lions traded Layne to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Layne responded to the trade by saying that the Lions would "not win for 50 years." At least. Now in 2008, it has been 50 years since the trade, and indeed the Lions have not won a championship in that time. During this time, they have accumulated the worst losing percentage of any team in the NFL.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 17:18:15 (permalink)
    I was married and had a little boy while going to College in Indiana PA. (1959-63) A special treet was driving down to the old Pittsburgh airport and go up on the rooftop observation deck and watch the planes take off & land. My son (And I)loved it! On the way home, we would stop at a little roadside stand near Blairsville that had the best Ring Bologna and Cheddar Cheese and get a snack for the ride home.
    Capybara91
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:02:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Foodbme

I was married and had a little boy while going to College in Indiana PA. (1959-63) A special treet was driving down to the old Pittsburgh airport and go up on the rooftop observation deck and watch the planes take off & land. My son (And I)loved it! On the way home, we would stop at a little roadside stand near Blairsville that had the best Ring Bologna and Cheddar Cheese and get a snack for the ride home.

Home of the great Jimmy Stewart, I believe. We used to stop at the Cadet Restaurant in Kittanning on the way from Youngstown to Altoona to visit relatives. And then we'd have to stop in Indiana at a confectionary for some penny candy. I live in the Northwest now and we cannot get Lebanon balogna here so I order it for Christmas on line from some place in Erie.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:24:19 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Home of the great Jimmy Stewart, I believe. We used to stop at the Cadet Restaurant in Kittanning on the way from Youngstown to Altoona to visit relatives. And then we'd have to stop in Indiana at a confectionary for some penny candy. I live in the Northwest now and we cannot get Lebanon balogna here so I order it for Christmas on line from some place in Erie.

While Erie is a nice place you should consider getting your Lebanon Bologna from the source/area of PA where it originated in this country- Eastern PA. Here are some sources:
    http://www.seltzerslebanonbologna.com
    http://www.kunzler.com
    http://www.godshalls.com
    http://www.stoltzfusmeats.com

Weaver's Famous Lebanon Bologna & Baum's Bologna
    15th Avenue & Weavertown Road
    Lebanon, PA 17042
    717-274-6100,800-WEAVERS
    Overview
    Oldest commercial manufacturer of Lebanon Bologna using authentic outdoor smokehouses.
    ENJOY!!!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:31:46 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:

Yep, Indiana PA is the home of Jimmy Stewart. His family owned the most fabulous Hardware store I've ever seen. When they liquidated it, there was stuff in there from 100 years ago. Parts for wagons, wooden buckets, you name it - it was an antique collectors best dream!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:33:43 (permalink)
    quote:

The colors were chosen to promote the attributes for steel: yellow lightens your work; orange brightens your leisure; and blue widens your world. The logo's meaning was later amended to represent the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal; orange for iron ore; and blue for steel scrap

The Steelers liked the idea presented by Republic Steel, despite the fact that the company was located in the city of their bitterest rival, the Cleveland Browns, and proudly sported the new logo on their helmets for the 1962 season. After qualifying that year for their first-ever postseason game, they changed the color of their helmets from gold to solid black, which also served to highlight the new logo they felt had brought them good luck.

The new Steelmark logo was originally only applied to one side of the helmet (the right side) by equipment manager Jack Hart because the Steelers were uncertain how it would look on their solid gold helmets. Even when they later switched their helmet color to solid black, they decided to permanently retain the logo on just the one side due to the team's new success and the interest generated by the logo's uniqueness. The Steelers are now the only team in the NFL to sport its logo on only one side of the helmet.

And they are the only team in the NFL NOT to have those cheesy cheerleaders!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved 2008/10/13 18:35:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by MetroplexJim

quote:

And they are the only team in the NFL NOT to have those cheesy cheerleaders!

Nothing wrong with a little "Cheese"!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 9
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1