Hot!Pittsburgh hot dog joints

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10496
2006/10/24 06:54:36 (permalink)

Pittsburgh hot dog joints

Hot Dogma, located in the basement of a downtown church, has been fighting a lawsuit from a Miami Beach restaurant over its name. According to the paper this morning, the lawsuit has finally been settled.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06297/732392-46.stm

Also, Yovi's, which has seemingly been in the Pittsburgh cultural district forever, closed down over the summer. Here is why:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06286/729751-100.stm

I haven't made it to Hot Dogma yet, but I have heard nothing but good things about their dogs. I will miss Yovi's, who had really good Chicago style hot dogs (at least for Pittsburgh) and fries.

287 Replies Related Threads

Oneiron339
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/10/24 07:20:40 (permalink)
    We'll have to make it to Hot Dogmas since the Dirty O has closed also.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/10/24 09:42:56 (permalink)
    Oneiron339-
    The Dirty O (Original Hot Dog Shop) is still open. I just called and they open at 11:00 for lunch. I do remember a while back when there were rumors that the place was being sold and might close, but that didn't seem to happen.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/10/24 13:01:33 (permalink)
    I thought the Dirty O actually has two locations, only one of which is closing. Yes? No?

Buddy
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/10/24 13:26:00 (permalink)
    Buddy-
    I assumed (which I shouldn't have) he was speaking of the original location in Oakland, near the University of Pittsburgh. Just in case, I went ahead and called the second location in Plum Borough. They are still open also.

John Fox
    • Total Posts : 2339
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/10/28 09:14:41 (permalink)
    I don't know why the restaurant (Dogma Grill in Florida) that initiated the lawsuit would care that another place hundreds of miles away would use a similar name. It's not like one place would steal customers from another.

A small microbrewery near me, called Climax Brewery, was sent a letter some years back threatening legal action if they didn't change their name. Seems that a brewery in California had the same name, although there was some dispute as to who had the name first. California is a long way from Jersey. The owner of Climax, a friend of mine, ignored the letter, and nothing became of it.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 197
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/12/01 21:11:15 (permalink)
    My understanding is that the folks who own the Dirty O would like to be out of the business and would sell if the right offer came along. They might have a long wait. The last few times I have been there business was very slow - not like the old days.
    Speaking for the old days, I heard that someone had reopened the real Original Hots Dogs - the one that used to be on Station Street and had to move to Broad when East Liberty was reconfigured. Anyone been out there recently?
    Rick8051
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/12/13 11:16:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KJoseph

My understanding is that the folks who own the Dirty O would like to be out of the business and would sell if the right offer came along. They might have a long wait. The last few times I have been there business was very slow - not like the old days.
    Speaking for the old days, I heard that someone had reopened the real Original Hots Dogs - the one that used to be on Station Street and had to move to Broad when East Liberty was reconfigured. Anyone been out there recently?

I have driven by the place on Broad Street and it looks like it has been reopened. I might have to try it just for grins...I have memories of my father taking me to the Station Street location and this one on Broad Street, although in my mind over the years I had been thinking they were in the same spot with just a new building...
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/12/13 15:08:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KJoseph

Can you please tell me if and how the Original Hot Dogs you mention is related to the Original Hot Dog Shop in Oakland?
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/12/13 16:44:26 (permalink)
    Unless it changed hands recently, it was one and the same. Can't speak for the quality or experience compared to the Original Dirty O, though.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2006/12/23 19:44:47 (permalink)
    I have to disagree with Oneiron on this. My recollection is that the old The Original Station Street Hot Dogs in East Liberty had nothing to do with Oakland Original. I think at one point there was even talk of a lawsuit over the name. I don't know who has reopened Station Street (now on Broad Street) but I very much doubt it is the Simon family, the folks that own Oakland Original.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/04 21:16:28 (permalink)
    Th Original Station Street Hot Dogs finally reopened last Friday, after being closed at least 20 years, maybe a lot more. You have a choice of three all-beef dogs (natural casing, skinless and kosher) or ham bbq, pulled pork, chicken or fish. I can vouch for the skinless - they were worth the trip from downtown. Nice joint; I'll be back.
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/05 00:03:17 (permalink)
    Thinking of driving out to Pittsburgh this Friday. The weather report is not good. What do you think...your vibes as a native?
    The Bear
    P.S.---Where's Original Station Street Dogs? Hours?
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/05 07:24:44 (permalink)
    I can't say much about what the weekend will be like. In a few hours, I'll be off to San Francisco for the weekend, so I haven't been paying much attention.
    If I recall correctly, Station Street Original's hours are 10-8 M-F and 11-9 Saturday, closed on Sunday.
    It's on Broad Street in East Liberty near the corner of Larimer. (Station Street no longer exists.)
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/05 11:29:53 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    I'm slightly embarrassed to tell you I am completely unfamiliar with Original Station Street Hot Dogs. I'm sure that the fact they have been closed for 20+ years is the main reason why. Thanks for the tip and I will have to head to East Liberty next week to try them.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/05 12:20:33 (permalink)
    Great! Let us know what you think.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/18 11:48:04 (permalink)
    Thanks to jury duty, I have been able to eat at a few places downtown I normally wouldn't be able to. One of these is Franktuary, which used to be known as Hot Dogma. They had to change their name due to a lawsuit, mentioned in the original post in this thread.

It is in the basement of a church on Oliver Street, which only adds to the unusual atmosphere. The decor is rather funky and includes famous paintings changed to include the hot dog theme. I ordered a New Yorker, which comes with sauerkraut, brown mustard and vidalia onion sauce. The hot dogs they use are 100% beef and was quite good. They use quality buns, too. I also got a red (strawberry/banana) fruit shake. The one disappointment was the side of pierogies, which seemed to be store bought.

They are only open M-F from 8:30 to 5:00, which is why it had been so difficult for me to get there.

http://franktuary.com/
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/24 15:13:01 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    I found this article in the Trib about the Station Streel Hot Dogs recently reopening. I think it is great that they brought it back to life after so many years.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_500063.html

I am going to eat there tonight, on my way to the Pirate game. I will let you know what I think.
    mattyb15601
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/24 16:12:25 (permalink)
    Steve's New York Hotdogs on the Northside are the best .80 a dog with all the fixins

Irene and her sister rock.
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/25 15:02:06 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe-
    I did make it to Station Street Hot Dogs last night. First of all, I was expecting some old building, but this place looked new. Maybe that was because it was immaculately clean.

I got a natural casing combo, with chili and onions. My buddy got the same with chili, mustard and pickle. I thought the dogs were quite good, but I liked the fries even more. I wouldn't put them on the same level as the "O", but I still really enjoyed it. I will go back.

What type of dogs do you get when you go? Thanks for bringing this place to my attention!

mattyb15601-
    I have never heard of Steve's New York Hot Dogs before. Unfortunately, with their limited hours (yes, I have already looked into it), it will be a little tougher to get there. Maybe on one of these Saturdays coming up I will be able to get there.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/04/30 22:09:18 (permalink)
    As far as the building goes, I guess old is relative. It's not the 1915 building, but it is the 1969 building, nicely cleaned up.

The one time I was there, I had the skinless. The guy in front of me had one and it looked good. I haven't had a chance to go back yet. It's hard to talk my coworkers into hopping on a bus and having lunch in East Liberty, even when its a beautiful day. If this weather keeps up, I'll be back his week.

Michael did nice review of Weiner World. Downtown would be a lesser place without it.
    Kenny Joe
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/01 22:47:20 (permalink)
    The beautiful weather and Buffetbuster's report were all I needed for a return trip to Original Station Street at lunchtime today. First, a correction to my post of 4.30.07: I did not view the Skinless All Beef because the fellow in front of me ordered it. I saw it at the register, where all four varieties are on display.

This visit, I started off with the kosher and finished with the original casing. Both were very good, but if I had gotten a third today, it would have been the original casing. It's tasty, but the texture distinguishes it. One thing special about this joint is the fat white bread buns. They're a nice touch (though not as nice as he poppyseed buns at the late, lamented Yovi's).

Rereading this thread, I want to point out two things. I think that Rick8051 is right or almost right about the location. The streets in this part of East Liberty were relocated, but this part of Broad is where Station used to be, and if this building isn't where the old building was, it is within a couple of hundred feet.

Also, a thread on Pittsburgh hot dog joints needs to mention the bar on Butler near 37th (is it Frank's?) that serves delicious foot longs.
    Even if the dogs were mediocre (they aren't!), the atmosphere would place it in Pittsburgh's top 5.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/02 08:51:11 (permalink)
    Went to Station Street over the weekend and was very pleased. Had the natural casing dog with a huge mound of kraut, dark mustard and the neon-green relish (they have regular relish too). The combo came with a heap of very good fries (looked like they 1/2 fry a batch first, then do the 2nd fry as ordered) and a fountain drink.

While I was eating, a cook dropped a huge piece of fish into the fryer. The fish sandwich will be a must next trip.

Station Street is on the other side of the tracks behind Trader Joe's. It's easy to get to from Penn Ave and just as easy to get back to Penn Ave. Station Street has a fair sized parking lot, and the store itself was spotless.

Thanks,

Kevin
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/02 09:04:10 (permalink)
    Kenny Joe & KOK-
    Are you familiar with the hot dogs at Jim's Drive-in in West Mifflin? It has been several years since I have been there, but I remember really liking the special sauce they put on their dogs.

Kenny, if you can remember the name of the bar with the really good foot longs, please let me know. I want to go check it out!

If either of you have some good suggestions for fish, please post them...there is a thread about that topic under sandwiches.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/02 09:20:03 (permalink)
    Jim's in West Mifflin is good and worth checking out. I was there last year and bought a bottle of the sauce to go. It's right in the middle of a residential area and you could easily miss it.

I'll be back in the 'Burgh next weekend and will have to go back.

Thanks,

Kevin
    mattyb15601
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/02 10:08:15 (permalink)
    Buffet Buster-

Here is the deal with steve's new york dogs. It is right in the middle of two other hotdog shops.

I am not kidding three dog joints side by side. Toula's , Steves New York and JR's. Take your pick. Nothing like being able to get a ... Chili, Cheese, mustard, onion, pepper and pickle dog at 6:30 am !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    mattyb15601
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/02 10:13:23 (permalink)
    Steve’s New York Hot Dog Shop
    1110 Federal Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15212
    Phone: 412-322-1170
    Mon-Fri 6:30 AM – 3:30 PM
    Sat 7 AM – 2 PM
    Breakfast, Sandwiches, Salads

Toula’s
    1108 Federal Street
    Pittsburgh, PA 15212
    Phone: 412-231-3993
    Mon-Fri 8 AM – 3 PM
    Sat 9 AM – 2 PM
    Hot Dogs, Sandwiches, Salads
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/02 10:33:27 (permalink)
    When sojourning in Pittsburgh, it’s apparent that this is a town with a hot dog culture.

Among my favorites is the Pickle Barrel, which you’ll find at 1301 East Carson Street on the South Side…a funky, on-the-comeback area loaded with all sorts of interesting stores and restaurants. The Pickle Barrel serves a foot-long Smith's Provision frank out of Erie, cooked on the griddle, about a 5 or 6 to a lb., 65% beef, 35% pork.

They top the dogs about 12 different ways, mostly named after regional preferences: i.e.- Chicago, with peppers, tomato, etc., all for about the same price: $2.50. Adorning the wall, several signs describe what beautifies each dog…though there is no hot dog listed with mustard and kraut or mustard and sautéed onions and thus delineated as a N.Y. dog. But that’s OK. I order my own, Weequahic Section, Newark, NJ. Style Sweetworks (mustard, kraut & relish) and they’re pleased to accommodate.

A best seller is the Pittsburgh. It’s the foot-long with mozzarella cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, black olives and honey mustard. I’ve never tried one, but ultimately will…perhaps next time. Y’know, when in Rome.

Additionally, the roll is impressive…a Schaible. All too many places serve foot-longs on small rolls that prove unwieldy. But this is just right, fresh, bountiful with taste, making more of a meal out of the whole affair…and thereby legitimizing the foot-long concept. Ask for the roll toasted. It’s better that way. I also ask for the frank cooked a little on the crispy side. They’re happy to oblige.

In any case, for about $6, you could have yourself a pretty good meal. I also usually notice people sharing large portions of hearty French Fries, including what looks like a concoction smothered with gravy, cheese and pieces of bacon. Actually, I think The Pickle Barrel is as popular, if not more popular, for their breakfasts as for their dogs. There’s a good-sized counter and several booths, old luncheonette style.
    The phone # is 412-431-1114. Just tell ‘em the guy from Jersey sent you.

The Bear

rfox
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/10 23:45:19 (permalink)
    I tried out Station Street Hot Dogs earlier this week. I had the skinless and the natural casing and both were very good.

Any thoughts on Frankfurters in Bellevue or New York Hot Dogs in Carnegie?
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints 2007/05/11 08:13:52 (permalink)
    rfox-
    I used to be a big fan of Frankfurter's in Bellevue. I especially liked the chili, even though since it was on the sweet side, it wouldn't be everyone's taste. I also really enjoyed visiting with owner Marty Armstrong, who is a great guy and loved talking Pittsburgh sports. About a year or two ago, Marty got a better job and sold the place. Unfortunately, I haven't been back since. I know I should give it a try, but doubt it would be the same. How about you....have you been there lately?

I'm not familiar with New York Hot Dogs in Carnegie. My girlfriend lives in Scott Twp., so I am down that way a lot. Please tell me about the place!
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1