Hot!Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2013/08/04 00:13:51 (permalink)

Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest

I've recently had a number of one day adventures in the Portland -Vancouver area. This forum topic will be a series of one day adventures of interesting things and adventures that Trudy or I have had over the last couple months. A little bit road food, a lot of adventure and  pretty good days for us.
       Our first adventure was a  concert at the Oregon Zoo. We began the evening with a stop at the road food reviewed Burgerville, a mini northwest fast food chain that serves regional fast food that is wondrous. At that time, the food was Walla Walla sweet onion rings. Like Vidalias, these onions  are sweet, tasty and unbelievably dellicious. They are an annual rite of food passage for northwest foodies that Michael Stern has written about and they were a great start to the eveining.
       The Oregon zoo has sponsored summer concerts at the zoo for over 20 years. I was especially excited because we were going  to see two of my favorites from the 80's, the all woman glorious rock and rollers the Go-Go's and one of my all time favorite party bands the B-52's. The Go Go's were first and i was transfixed. The beautiful Belinda Carlisle was back, lead singer of hits that I still love. Vacation, all the hits, a few new ones. I have also loved their harmonies and songs and it was good to see them together. By the time they finished their set with a rousing version of "We Got the Beat", I was stoked. The memories of dancing to their music, watching the videos and falling in love with Belinda Carlisle were strong and brought back a different time. Trudy was nice to put up with this.
         The memories of the b-52 were even stronger. They were a party band whose records I wore out. My Own Private Idaho, Planet Claire , Love Shack and of coure the last song of the night,"Rock Lobster.* We all danced, sang and enjoyed our lovely trip back to the 80's. What an evening, what memories. What music. It was a heck of a time and my 60 years felt youthful again. A great time
post edited by mr chips - 2013/09/12 22:02:06

50 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4120
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/04 01:19:58 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great day with awesome music!
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4644
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/04 12:20:14 (permalink)
    love the zoo concerts. Been to a few myself. 
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8316
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/04 13:06:25 (permalink)
    Day trips are fun.  We have concerts in the park right down the street from me but I'm a mosquito magnet and paranoid at the same time.

Looking forward to more reports.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5207
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/04 14:06:09 (permalink)
    I think this is going to be a very interesting thread!

And we should all be so lucky to age as well as Belinda Carlisle has.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/04 14:13:19 (permalink)
    Yes, the B-52's and the Go-Go's were certainly a great part of rock. I always get a kick when I hear "Love Shack".
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/06 02:44:41 (permalink)
    I have known one of the current clients in my group home for over 20 years. He is a huge sports fan with a strong love for the Portland Winter Hawks junior hockey team, Portland's past and now present minor league baseball teams, Oregon State college football and he also truly loves the Los Angeles Lakers basketball team. We have seen a lot of games together in a lot of venues and he is a great person to go to  games  with because he enjoys the experience so much. This year the Portland area has rejoined the professional baseball world with the arrival  of the single A minor league team the Hillsboro Hops. Located 14 miles from the city in the nearby suburb of Hillsboro,  the team has an appropriate foodie name  for the area. The client and I drove out to the city of Hillsboro,( there is no light rail connection to the ballpark) and went to a game there a couple  of Sundays back. The best food there was quite good, a Bahn Mii pulled pork sandwich  in a Vietnamese small roll that filled and was very, very tasty with a spicy sauce that filled the heat need for the day. No beer( I was working)and a couple other sandwiches that look promising for future visits. The Hillsboro dh had the wonderful baseball name of Yogi and was from Venezuela and we had a a good day at he ballpark. I have always preferred to take mass transit to the ballpark so I did not like having to drive 30 miles from the city but the small town vibe was nice. And a good Vienamese sandwich at the ballpark only adds to the vibe and pleasure. And now I may have to learn "Take me out to the ballgame in another   language 
    post edited by mr chips - 2014/01/15 20:58:16
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/06 08:27:31 (permalink)
    Single A baseball sure has come a long way since I went to my first game in 1982.  Back then the food choices were either boiled hot dogs or grilled/reheated burgers, but at least it was a cheap night out.  $2 to get in, .50 for a 12 oz. PBR, and .75 for a 16 oz. Old Style.  And with a name like the Hops I'm sure the Hillsboro team has a better beverage selection than that, too!
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/10 10:24:11 (permalink)
    Women' s   professional soccer has returned to the American sports scene this summer and Portland has been its epicenter. Most of the league has not been  packing the house but Portland has had large crowds. Two weeks ago first place Kansas city and second place Portland Thorns drew 17,000 to our soccer stadium for a first place battle.. It was a loud and very vocal crowd that was making a lot of noise. The game was a 3-2  close match where kansas city won but Portland made a strong effort. Portland has been a stronghold for women's soccer as the University of Portlland has won a championship and contended almost every year. And in the championship game with Canada for the gold medal in London there were usually 6 former University of portland players on the   pitch for both teams at the same time.. Marvelous and loud experience. The perfect pre game meal is a five piece order of walla Walla sweet oniong rings at Burgerville ,a dish as sublime as the great women's soccer I got to watch
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/08/10 10:29:11
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/18 14:57:54 (permalink)
    Trudy and I had a lovely day at the Bonneville Hot Springs resort near North Bonneville, Wa.. A lovely little resort with nice indoor and outdoor  swimming pools, excellent food and a relaxing atmosphere. It is a great get away from it all, a place to enjoy the sun, good food and laid back vibes. It's about forty miles from portland and it was a marvelous half day where we were able to relax and chill.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/19 08:32:09 (permalink)
    Wow...I pulled up the Bonneville Hot Springs website and it looks like quite the place!  My parents seem to have taken a liking to the PNW as they've visited the Oregon coast twice in recent years; I'm going to have to tell them about BHS.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/22 00:24:28 (permalink)
    Son Sam and I have bonded over the Sealltle Mariners in the last 12 years. Watching Ichiro brought us together as did the sushi stand that served the thousands of visitors from Japan who came to to watch Ichiro. The sushi stand always was filled with Japanese visitors and Sam and his friends learned to love sushi. And l earned to tolerate and even enjoy sake. ichiro's disappearance has led to the disappearance of the sushi stand and I'm a little sadder for that.
          The Mariners played the Twins who hit two homers (one by Justin Morneau) and received good pitching to win the. the game 4-0. Mariner pitcher Medina was celebrating his birthday and he provided the presents for the Twins by giving up two homers and walking in a run with the bases loaded. Always an enjoyable experience at he ballpark but not fun to watch the loss. After the game, we drove to Kirkland and ate the tasty halibut fish and chips at the road food reviewed Spud's. Walked by the lake and walked off the game frustration and the  sandwich. A great day and a wonderful time to spend with my son
    post edited by mr chips - 2014/01/15 21:03:10
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10353
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/22 00:42:10 (permalink)
    mr chips

Sam and I have bonded over the Sealltle Mariners in the last 12 years. Watching Ichiro brought us together as did ythe sushi stand that served the thousands of visitors to watch Ichiro. The sushi stand always was filled with Japanese visitors and sam and his friends learned to love sushi. And l earned to tolerate and even enjoy sake. ichiro's disappearance has led to the disappearance of the sushi stand and I'm a little sadder for that.
        The Mariners played the Twins who hit two homers (one by Justin morneau) and received good pitching to win the. the game 4-0. Mariner pitcher medina was celebrating his birthday and he provided the presents for the Twins by giving up two homers and walking in a run with the bases loaded. Always an enjoyable experience at he ballpark but not fun to watch the loss. After the game, we drove to kirkland and ate the tasty halibut fish and chips at the road food reviewed Spud.s. Walked by the lake and walked off the game frustration and the  sandwich. A great day and a wonder time to spend with my son

BREAKING NEWS!!!
    Ichiro just got his 4000th hit today! (Japanese & American #'s combined.)
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/22 01:10:55 (permalink)
    Exciting news. I remember a guy who said ichiro would never be a star in the big leagues because no Japanese player had ever been a success in the big leagues. I was a little off on that. Congrats to the great Ichiro and thank u again for the great pleasure you have brought since 2001.

ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/22 08:36:03 (permalink)
    That's too bad that the sushi stand closed; not that I'm a fan but it seems like a great fit for a region where fresh seafood is widely available.  Is there another local specialty at the park?
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/24 21:33:50 (permalink)
    Watched Ken Griffey Jr's induction into the Seattle Mariners team hall of fame. Was crying through much of it. Seeing other team HOF  from the past (Randy Johnson, jay Buhner, Edgar Martinez, Dan wilson, Mariner announcer Dave Niehaus' widow and Alvin Davis) brought a flood of happy memories. Seeing the kid, hearing his surprisingly good speech, his continuing respect and awe of his father, and remembering the catches and home runs and pure baseball pleasure that Jr brought to so many games reminded me again of why that wonderful game continues to bring me back. it was wonderful to see a full house, all the Mariners with their caps backward, the video tributes(Iciro's especially with his cap backwards) reminded me of what a pleasure it had been to see him in his prime and  watch him do amazing things. Jr was the first great player I saw play a lot. No road food connection but a happy memory of things past and a foreshadowing of what is to come when Jr.goes to Cooperstown.
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/08/25 08:49:34
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6524
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/24 22:27:39 (permalink)
    Mr Chips - A day at the park with your son is ALWAYS a good day. (even if they lose)

The hot springs does look like a relaxing day, glad you two had fun.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/25 09:07:23 (permalink)
    Went with one of our clients from the group home where I work to a couple of events, one very enjoyable and interesting, the other not so much. He is a huge wresting fan so we went a smack down event at the newly renamed arena and saw all the bombast and verbal theatrics for the friday night event. Some female wrestler had broken up with a wrestler and she was doing he rbest to make him lose his match. It is corny hokum but I've watched wresting from the 50's  and it has not changed much. I watched local Porltand wrestlers growing up in the 60's and actually kinda liked it. my client gets such pleasure. I get this gig because i'm the only staff from the house who can tolerate going to the matches. I wish the arena had some road food tie-in but I love the organic lemonade available.there and always love the light-rali ride.
          The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry(OMSI) has a great exhibit this summer. It is all about mummies. Mummies from Egypt and all over the world. it is the first time I have seen a mummified male member and it is an informative and fascinating exhibit.'We preceded it with a visit to Burgerville and I had the 5 piece wall Walla sweet onion rings, my absolutely favorite thing to eat this time of year. Burgerville is one of the best local fast food chains in the country and the two months when the sweet onion rings are available are the best time of year to sample the food. my client loves the food, loves his mummies and I'm glad we were able to go.

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/25 11:41:26 (permalink)
    I keep hearing about those onion rings. Seems like I never get up there at the right time, however. I have heard though that they are the best. I want some!
    flyseye
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 470
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/25 20:32:43 (permalink)
    Wrestling, onion rings, and the B52's. I'm jealous.
    chefbuba
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2043
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 01:32:43 (permalink)
    Mr Chips, I went to a Burgerville in Vancouver a few months ago.
    Should have gone with my gut and eaten at the BK next door instead.
    I got a dry patty, with unmelted cheese, a limp green leaf of lettuce, ketchup & mayo and cold fries.
    Maybe I just caught them on a bad day. This was my second time at a BV, the first was just ok as I remember, it was a few years ago.
    Should I give them another try next time I'm in Portland or is this the norm?
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2510
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 08:43:23 (permalink)
    Mr Chips, looks like a nice summer, save some money for the Seahawks Superbowl party.

Chefbuba, Remember the song by Lionel Richie (three times a lady)
    You're once twice
    Three times a idiot
    if you get burned at a restaurant 3 times.

That would be like me eating in Astoria and not going to your food truck for a flavor extravaganza............Tell me when your coming my way, I'll throw a Rooster on the barbie.
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 09:18:39 (permalink)
    Surprisingly pnwchef I am coming your way. Trudy and I  are visiting Trudy's sister in Richland the evening of Wednesday September 4th and the a.m of September of September 5th. Trudy and I are taking the all day Hells canyon jet boat trip on Friday September 6th. If we can work out a time on Wednesday P.M or Thursdday a.m it would be great. And I am easy to please.
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/08/27 08:04:57
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 09:36:12 (permalink)
    Chefbubba, the quality of Burgerville's burgers can be spotty. What i have always loved about the place is its quirky spirit. The salmon salad is my favorite dish, the seasonal fruit shakes, the seasonal fried asparagus and the wonderful  seasonal lWalla Walla sweet onion rings(similiat to and even better than the vidalia) are exceptional dishes.. Burgerville is the best exemplar of Pacific northwest and Portland attitudes that i can think of. The one i have gone to most(N.E. 82nd  and Glisan in Portland) has some marvelous young people working there (including a young Ukranian woman Veronika who just left to work with MRDD folks that I miss terribly)and it is always a fun visit in the morning. I'm sorry your visits have not been as much fun as mine but try the salads, the seasonal shakes and the onion rings. you might change your mind.
    post edited by mr chips - 2013/08/30 10:35:22
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10475
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 10:33:36 (permalink)
    Love those seasonal shakes at Burgerville.  I particularly remember a hazelnut shake that was fantastic!
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8655
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 11:13:21 (permalink)
    Ok, Bill-them is fighten words!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 11:55:02 (permalink)
    mr chips

Surprisingly pnwchef I am coming your way. Trudy and I  are visiting Trudy's sister in Richland the evening of Wednesday September 4th and the a.m of September of September 5th. Trudy and I are taking the all day Hells canyon jet boat trip on Friday September 6th. If we can work out a time on Wednesday P.Mor Thurdday aa.m it would be great. And I am easy to please.

I have a piece of Strawberry Rhubarb pie and ice cream with your name on it. lets see if it could be early PM on Wednesday....................Also, on your way over to Hells canyon, there is the Oregon trail interpretive ctr at Baker, Oregon. Well worth the stop if you have the time, Baker is also a nice little tow to grab lunch....................let me know if your game for an early PM piece of pie..................take care..................Bill ..............P.S. We aren't going to process the Roosters until the end of Sept, or the beginning of Oct.
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/08/26 13:56:25
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 11:59:57 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Ok, Bill-them is fighten words!

ANN, What I ment was, once twice three times, Chefbuba would be an idiot for giving the restaurant another try..........not being a lady..........Your a Lady...............
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8655
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 20:29:28 (permalink)
    Bill-I meant your comment about the Seahawks in the Super Bowl! No offense taken at the other comment-I got it!
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Potpourri in the Pacific Northwest 2013/08/26 21:18:46 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Bill-I meant your comment about the Seahawks in the Super Bowl! No offense taken at the other comment-I got it!

Ann, I'm just giving you some time to get use to the idea. I don't want it to be a shock when you see my Pacific Northwest Seahawks in New Jersey in February. I think Green Bay would do better with the 0 degree weather that they will have on game day. I wonder who the idiot was that picked NJ for the super bowl. ...............Bill
    post edited by pnwchef - 2013/08/26 21:22:20
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1