Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 49
blue heaven

• Total Posts: 484
Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 8:42 AM (permalink)
 I Was watching The Pioneer Woman cooking show and she was making lasagne, but instead of using ricotta she used cottage cheese!!   That just threw me for a loop, why would anyone do that?  I think it would make the dish watery.  Your thoughts??

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 9:29 AM (permalink)
    While ricotta is traditional when making lasagna, cottage cheese is a perfectly acceptable substitute, especially if you use the creamed, small curd type. There are many small towns and rural areas where it might be hard to find ricotta, but cottage cheese is available. And if you grew up with the use of cottage cheese, that's the taste and consistency that you remember and associate with lasagna.

ChrisOC

• Total Posts: 900
      Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 9:30 AM (permalink)
      When I was a kid, back in the forties, ricotta was not readily available.  My mother made lasagne with cottage cheese and it was quite good.  I don't recall it being watery, and it was a big hit at family gatherings.

blue heaven

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 10:08 AM (permalink)
        Well I never thought about that way but it makes sense, thanks TC and Chris...

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 10:22 AM (permalink)
          I've had it that way.  Not bad at all.  Might even be better for you.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2225
            Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 10:23 AM (permalink)
            First of all, if Joe Rogo finds out we are all toast. In Italy they make Lasagna with a Bechamel sauce, they feel the Ricotta cheese is to heavy. I think Cottage cheese was used as a substitute because of lack of availability. I have used Cottage cheese in our cafes over the years because of cost, I had to serve a Lasagna special for around $5 a plate, most people didn't say anything, they were to busy trying to find the meat in the sauce. The Cottage cheese has more liquid than Ricotta, but, after you put in some eggs, and parm cheese you can tighten it up as needed..........If Joe Rogo asks any questions, my name is Chewingthefat.........

tcrouzer

• Total Posts: 430
              Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 10:41 AM (permalink)
              Yep, I always put in a couple of eggs, parmesan cheese, and a handful of chopped parsley in my cheese filling for lasagna. I had a sister-in-law that put thin slices of pepperoni on top of her meat sauce when making lasagna. She's the same one that put chunks of pineapple in her baked beans.....? It was different, but pretty good.
              <message edited by tcrouzer on Sun, 02/17/13 10:43 AM>

blue heaven

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 11:02 AM (permalink)
                That is too funny about jorogo pnwchef, by the way we are both from around Pittsburgh Pa.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6091
                  Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 11:33 AM (permalink)
                  pnwchef

First of all, if Joe Rogo finds out we are all toast. In Italy they make Lasagna with a Bechamel sauce, they feel the Ricotta cheese is to heavy. I think Cottage cheese was used as a substitute because of lack of availability. I have used Cottage cheese in our cafes over the years because of cost, I had to serve a Lasagna special for around $5 a plate, most people didn't say anything, they were to busy trying to find the meat in the sauce. The Cottage cheese has more liquid than Ricotta, but, after you put in some eggs, and parm cheese you can tighten it up as needed..........If Joe Rogo asks any questions, my name is Chewingthefat.........

I copied and forwarded this to Joe, he's getting some of crew together as I write, making reservations for the West Coast, Northwest Coast!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
                    You can get a dry cottage cheese if moisture is a concern.

pnwchef

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 12:31 PM (permalink)
                      chewingthefat

pnwchef

I copied and forwarded this to Joe, he's getting some of crew together as I write, making reservations for the West Coast, Northwest Coast!

Chewy, starting today my wife will start my car in the morning.

blue heaven..........Then you understand why I have to change my name and go under cover.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1491
                        Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sun, 02/17/13 3:43 PM (permalink)
                        pnwchef..........Fortunately, by the time Joe makes it all the way across the country to confront you, he will have stopped at so many RF places, that he'll only be asking for some seltzer and Alka-Seltzer.  But treat him to your lasgna the first day!  After that, he may have recovered enough.but then you could always placate him with one of your other fine recipes

pnwchef

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 02/19/13 8:22 PM (permalink)
                           This was made using cottage cheese........

Cosmos

• Total Posts: 1448
                            Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 02/19/13 10:16 PM (permalink)
                            I love ricotta...and can barely tolerate cottage cheese, its a simple decision for me. On the other hand I love Lasagna but I don't cook it very often as I see it as a less than healthy meal when done right and once I get started I can't stop eating it. In fact its been over three years since I made it or ordered it in a restaurant....I miss it...mmmmm...

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2012
                              Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 02/19/13 10:16 PM (permalink)
                              I like lasagna made with real cheese.    My wife used the rico stuff, I hated it.     She fussed that lasagna was made with the rico, until I showed her some old recipes that used mozzarella cheese!

Lasagna with ricotta is the weight watchers recipe. 
                              <message edited by edwmax on Tue, 02/19/13 10:30 PM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7740
                                Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Tue, 02/19/13 10:21 PM (permalink)
                                Rico is a whole other story.

blue heaven

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 6:12 AM (permalink)
                                  pnwchef your lasagne looks mighty fine....

tmiles

• Total Posts: 1908
                                    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                    My Mom always used cottage cheese. She is a good cook, but nobody is asking for the recipe. My wife makes a great one with ricotta. Mine is the best, and I use ricotta, but not too much. I like a drier lasagna that does not fall apart when served, and then add more sauce over the top. I use more Mozzorella than ricotta.

tmiles

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 10:54 AM (permalink)
                                      kland01s

You can get a dry cottage cheese if moisture is a concern.

You can get rid of the moisture by beating in some parmesean when adding the eggs.

Rusty246

• Total Posts: 2413
                                        Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 12:19 PM (permalink)
                                        I grew up eating and making it that way.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                          Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 12:22 PM (permalink)
                                          I thought only southerners used cottage cheese...

fishtaco

• Total Posts: 740
                                            Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 2:07 PM (permalink)
                                            Grew up using cottage cheese. Now use either one. I really cannot tell the difference, Once combined and ccooked.

pnwchef

Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 3:35 PM (permalink)
                                              We goat some goats this yr, I plan on breeding them this month, should have a few Kids the first of Aug. I plan on making fresh Ricotta and Mozzarella cheese, I'm wondering how the Lasagna will taste with the Goat flavor. I have them in a good quality pasture, so I'm hoping for the best. The cheese will be from our Goats, the gnd beef is from our cows, the Italian sausage will be from our pigs. The Roma tomatoes and Basil & garlic are from our garden.  I think we just about have the whole Lasagna coming from the farm...............pnwc
                                              <message edited by pnwchef on Wed, 02/20/13 3:37 PM>

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                                                • Location: Fox River Valley, IL
                                                Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                                pnwchef, I want to come eat your food! I love the care and effort you put in with your own raised foods. I would love a place like that! This is the closest I have.

http://www.heritageprairiefarm.com/

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                                                  • Location: West Allis, Wisconsin
                                                  Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 4:35 PM (permalink)
                                                  Bakers cheese is the alternative..not as good, but dry........

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                                                    Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 5:31 PM (permalink)
                                                    I've always used a mixture of small curd cottage cheese and ricotta. I like the taste and texture. And, like pnwchef says, it's easy to tighten it up if you need to.

starfire62

• Total Posts: 220
                                                      • Location: west seneca, NY
                                                      Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 7:19 PM (permalink)
                                                      pioneerwomans cheese bread sure looked good.

agnesrob

• Total Posts: 1790
                                                        • Location: Park Ridge, NJ
                                                        Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Wed, 02/20/13 9:54 PM (permalink)
                                                        In the 1940's my Mom traded English lessons for Italian recipes with a neighbor. As a German/Irish descendant I grew up eating, made from scratch, spaghetti sauce and many other Italian favorites. My Mom's neighbor suggested the use of cottage cheese with the added eggs for lasagna. I grew up eating it that way but now I use ricotta or even sometimes make a traditional b├ęchamel sauce.

tmiles

• Location: Millbury, MA
                                                          Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sat, 02/23/13 10:58 AM (permalink)
                                                          pnwchef

We goat some goats this yr, I plan on breeding them this month, should have a few Kids the first of Aug. I plan on making fresh Ricotta and Mozzarella cheese, I'm wondering how the Lasagna will taste with the Goat flavor. I have them in a good quality pasture, so I'm hoping for the best. The cheese will be from our Goats, the gnd beef is from our cows, the Italian sausage will be from our pigs. The Roma tomatoes and Basil & garlic are from our garden.  I think we just about have the whole Lasagna coming from the farm...............pnwc

I've never had goat ricotta, but I have had water buffalo mozzarella, which was superior. Well made goat cheese has no "goaty" flavor, and with your obvious experience, your cheese will be well made. I raise sheep, but don't milk them. I have had Spanish sheep cheese called Manchego, and French Rocufort (sp?). We have several goat cheese farms here in Mass, and when I see their products in the store, I often buy them. You are in for a treat!!

pnwchef

• Location: Kennewick, WA
                                                            Re:Ricotta vs. Cottage Cheese Sat, 02/23/13 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                                            tmiles

pnwchef

I've never had goat ricotta, but I have had water buffalo mozzarella, which was superior. Well made goat cheese has no "goaty" flavor, and with your obvious experience, your cheese will be well made. I raise sheep, but don't milk them. I have had Spanish sheep cheese called Manchego, and French Rocufort (sp?). We have several goat cheese farms here in Mass, and when I see their products in the store, I often buy them. You are in for a treat!!

tmiles: I agree on the taste of the goat cheese. My wife and I use to go to Mexico, one of our favorite restaurants has a Chicken stuffed with Goat cheese and herbs. On some occasions the cheese tasted like the ally next to the restaurant. There was a good reason for that, after I saw the goats grazing in the back yard.

Maplebrook Fine Cheese | PO Box 966 | Bennington, VT 05201 | (802) 440-9950 | (802) 440-9956 fax | office@maplebrookvt.com

I don't think this place is all that far from you, is it ????????? they look like they have some nice looking cheese.............The best Buffalo Mozzarella I ever had was in Rome, it is made between Rome and Naples..........I figure two goats are easier than having a herd of Water Buffalo shipped over from Italy..............I'm looking forward to the process of having everything from the dish grown or raised on our land. I don't like the way food is processed now a days, so I guess it up to me to shut up and do it. ...........this process will take awhile, the goats will not kid for 5 months.............this next weeks project will be making Italian Sausage from the butt and Shoulder pork we have in the freezer, we shall see..............

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com