So... What's growing in your garden?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
Author
boyardee65
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1460
2010/05/20 17:07:45 (permalink)

So... What's growing in your garden?

I just got done planting my tomato plants. I also have radishes, carrots, chives, dill weed, and strawberries. All are in the ground now as I think that the threat of frost is past. This being Alaska, I hope we are past the last frost. So far all are doing well. Hope to have tomatoes by July. I will keep you all up to date.

David O.

275 Replies Related Threads

felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3515
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/20 22:14:33 (permalink)
    It is WAY too early to plant here...I'm fascinated that you have stuff in the ground in Alaska!  We've had freeze warnings overnight twice in the last week.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/20 22:50:24 (permalink)
    Concord grapes
    Santa Rosa plums
    Turkey figs
    Some variety of peach
    Bearss limes
    Washington navels
    Valencia juice oranges
    Blood oranges
    Meyer lemons
    Olallieberries
    Habaneros
    New Mexico peppers

BelRose
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/20 23:11:25 (permalink)
    Figs
    Yuzu
    Raspberries
    Tomatoes
    Roses (not for eating)
    Artichokes
    and a crap load of herbs
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/20 23:19:24 (permalink)
    Ever have rose petal jam?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/21 01:57:09 (permalink)
    Tomatoes and Bell Peppers are in, Squash goes in this weekend if the damn rain ever lets up. No Sweet Corn this year, we have a local source for u-pick Silver Queen for $2 a dozen, We can't grow it for that price.
    Concord grapes are tiny but growing and spreading fast. Raspberries are caning nicely, and the Wild Blackberries that surround us are all just past a heavy blooming session.
    Fruit trees are looking ok. Too much rain is causing some Cherry rot and a sick Cedar on my neighbors land is sending Cedar Rust Spores onto some of my apples close to his property (nasty rust on fruit and leaves). Cherries will be ready in a week or two.

Our first ever Apricots need some drier sunshine to bring them to full potential by the middle of June. Santa Rosa and Ozark Premier Plums are doing well as are the first bunch of PLUCOTS we ever had here.

A few regular Pears are doing ok (2 trees) The Asian Pears are again doing very well and will supply the materials for Pear Butter later in the Summer.

Apples? Yeah they are really coming along. I hope the Suncrisps survive the Rust invasion. I will spray again this saturday and hope to salvage the two damaged trees (and their apples). The Granny Smiths 14 of them (6th year) are still immature for fruit production. The Golden Delicious and the one mature Arkansas Black are loaded. The Rome Beauty, Red Delicious and Fuji and Prairie Spies are all looking quite good as well. Even the Crab Apple has some nice fruit this year..

Barring any major climate disaster, we should do well this year.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/21 02:28:39 (permalink)
      Wow Mayor, I didn't know you were such an avid gardener. Could you please send some rain this way?! Been a little dry here. The sunshine is great for the tomatoes but we haven't had any precip here for about a month now. Good thing that my garden is small so I can hand water if I have to.

I decided to plant some purple bell peppers just for S&G to see how well they do up here. I saved the seeds from the crop I grew in AZ. a few years back. I am germinating basil indoors as we speak as basil hates the cold.

Good luck and good harvest everybody!!

David O.
    post edited by boyardee65 - 2010/05/21 02:30:56
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/21 02:41:30 (permalink)
    Al, this year's Concord harvest will end up in bottles. *hic*
    BelleReve
    • Total Posts : 1165
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/21 17:42:55 (permalink)
    herbs - basil, chives, rosemary, and oregano are doing well. Neighbors on both sides of me have tomatoes and cucumbers, so should get some of their surplus 

I tried cilantro and dill this year for the first time, but I think it's way too hot for them, and they are languishing.  
    kaszeta
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 681
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/21 18:07:33 (permalink)
    Herbs: Basil, rosemary, tarragon, chives, chinese chives, dill, garlic

Vegetables: Kale, mustard, tomatillos, tomatoes (in planter at the house, we've had terrible wilt problems), peas, sugar snaps, scarlet runner beans, rattlesnake beans, chard, burdock, potatoes, serrano peppers, jalapenos, lettuce, and a half dozen other things I can't recall at the moment.

Fruit: Strawberries, plus plenty of wild blackberries and raspberries.
    joclyn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 360
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/22 00:26:04 (permalink)
    i always have chives, spearmint and sage (perennial here) and wild raspberries.  got some broccoli, red bell pepper, sweet basil, cinnamon basil and thyme this year.  i may do tomato - not sure since i have limited space and had that last year.  i have seed for alpine strawberries and a couple varieities of ground cherries (and i gotta get them going or it'll be too late! ).

rose petal jam sounds fabulous - and a wonderful way to utilize the thousands of petals i get (have a couple of humongous rambler roses and they're just starting to bloom now; plus i have another half dozen rose bushes too).  can you post the recipe for the jam please???  thanks!!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/22 00:34:38 (permalink)
    I don't have a recipe for it. I remember having it back in the sixties when a friend's grandmother would make it.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/22 03:30:26 (permalink)
     I found a recipe using a general search in yahoo.com.

Here it is:

Ingredients  2 cups of rose petals
    2 1/2 cups of water
    3 1/2 cups of sugar
    1 lemon (or 1/4 cup lemon juice)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 package of pectin

Preparation  Take your roses and snip off the white part at the bottom of the petals.
    You can just grasp the rose from the top and snip the bottom. No need
    to do it petal by petal.
    Wash them thoroughly.
    Place in a pot ( I like using a glass pot for this) along with the water, the sugar,
    the lemon juice, and the vanilla extract.
    Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for about 35 minutes.
    Take the pectin and dissolve into about 1/2 a cup pf water and mix thoroughly.
    Take dissolved pectin and pour in the simmering mixture stirring briskly.
    Remove from heat. Let cool. Then put in jars. Can be kept in the fridge.

If you prefer you can put the water, rose petals and sugar in a blender or food processor before cooking. This way you don't have whole petals in your jam when it's done. The petals if not put through the blender can be nice and add texture so it's not necessary.

Enjoy!

David O.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/22 17:41:29 (permalink)
    OK, we finally have a sunny weekend that allows us to do some yard work, and score a few update photos to share with you. Hope your gardens are progressing well too !

First you see Janet checking the ripeness of some of the cherries. With all the rain we have had, our cherry crop seems to go from unripe to rotting pretty quckly. If we can get some sunny days that may straighten them out a bit. We'll hope to see them turning pink shortly---  

Then we have some of the Delicious Apples coming along just fine, followed by an example of the Suncrisp variety. 2 of these trees are showing some Cedar Rust Damage. We are working on controlling it.

The Plums and Apricots are doing fine. Another example of fruit that needs some sunny days to promote growth.

Here is a view of the front part of the property. Granny Smith Apples on the left.

And here is the "Back Yard" with most of the other trees. The little one in the front right is a first year Arkansas Black.

And finally my Security patrol !! Chasing Deer and Crows is their main task !!!

post edited by mayor al - 2010/05/22 18:09:14
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/22 19:40:16 (permalink)
    Al

The family is looking good, I hope this year will be a bumper crop for all your labors. 
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/22 21:23:26 (permalink)
    Thanks Don, we'll hold some Plum Butter for you !
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5422
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/23 04:05:29 (permalink)
    No garden fro me, too much work.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/23 11:05:43 (permalink)
     Great looking fruit trees Al.
    Ours here in AK are still in the flowering stage. The weather here has been surprisingly mild for this time of year. Last year we had late frost and lots of rain. Been pretty dry this last month. As I said earlier, I have most of my garden in the ground except the basil and chives. I will leave them in pots so I can bring them in on colder nights. Right now we are experiencing almost 18 hours of daylight so everything is greening up nicely.
     I love the security system!!

David O.
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6394
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/24 13:15:03 (permalink)
    My strawberries are coming along nicely, hopefully in 2-3 weeks I can sample the first ( ok LOTS ) of them.

I hope this year will be a good year for them, I want some strawberry jam
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/24 19:34:23 (permalink)
    Lots of u-pick strawberries in this area. We put in 50 plants but lost more than half in the heavy rains in April and early May. Jan has replanted them in large pots to help them thru the early stages. Guess we'll have to buy ours this year.

Deer are visiting out Apples several times a week. I have checked with our DNR warden and 'doing one in' to prevent fruit loss is legal..My back deck has become a hunting stand.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/24 20:52:10 (permalink)
    And now I'm scrambling to catch up!  We skipped spring entirely, and it is now 90F.

My chives have taken over the world as usual, and the rhubarb is coming along nicely.  Something ate my grape tomato plants down to the ground last night, so I'm thinking those might be a bust this year.  I discovered a patch of wild strawberries the size of Nebraska yesterday, but it's got poison ivy mixed in and I don't know if it's worth it.

Other than that, I've got some parsley and thyme that's started sprouting, and my Concord grapes are looking pretty darn good so far.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/25 03:09:19 (permalink)
      I use chicken wire to cage my tomatoes for the support as well as protection from predators. Mama moose in the area are calving so they are out looking for goodies. I told the kids to stay clear of any moose that they see just in case. New mamas can get pretty aggressive if they feel that the calves are in danger.

David O.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/25 03:20:47 (permalink)
    This was the first time I've had a problem, at least since they built the condos surrounding my house and all the critters moved out.  But I found out who it was today, I think!  I've apparently got a woodchuck living under my grape arbor...scared the bejeesus out of both of us when we came face to face this afternoon! LOL!  It was either him or the turkeys.

I've got the old fencing stuff around somewhere in the garage...if the plants look like they're not dead I'll try to find it.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/25 04:46:23 (permalink)
      So far the radishes are going gangbusters!! They love the 18 hours of sun. Tomatoes are looking good but still in the bloom stage. Time to fertilize. Strawberries are doing great but are still in the vegetative state. I got a late start. Green beans have started to sprout and look strong. The herbs haven't broken ground yet but that is expected until the soil warms a little more. We haven't had much rain here in the past month so I have been having to water by hand.

Felix, I have seen moles and woodchucks as well as rabbits devastate gardens overnight. Watch out for those critters!!

David O.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/25 08:57:27 (permalink)
    I can remember when we would get so excited over the first things to show in the early Spring garden...Radishes were a big deal since they came up so quickly.

Our Scotties do a good job of digging out the moles, but se still get rabbit damage at night now and then. The dogs are restricted to the deck at night so the critters have free-run, but do get barked at. We don't want the dogs to take on the stray coyote or big raccoon or skunk that comes thru the area late at night.

Update- Our cherries (4 trees) are very small this year, but they are turning pink and red in the bright sun this week. Picking time may be over the coming weekend. (photo to follow)
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/25 17:41:34 (permalink)
    boyardee65

Felix, I have seen moles and woodchucks as well as rabbits devastate gardens overnight. Watch out for those critters!!

David O.

Oh, trust me, I'm familiar!  I grew up with a 100-foot by 175-foot garden in my back yard (the same back yard I have now).  I'm just having to dust off my brain to remember how to deal with it! LOL!  The deer are long gone, as well as all the rabbits...which is just weird and no one knows why.  All we have left are squirrels, woodchucks, raccoons, skunks and turkeys.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/25 19:30:56 (permalink)
    I filed the form required by the Indiana DNR for permission to use deadly force against Bambi and his Gang of apple destroyers. The State will issue permits to 'hunt' deer on your own property in the off-season if you show evidence of 'crop' damage due to the deer. I am not anxious to hose-down the herd, but a couple of deterrent hits might stop the group from wrecking havoc on my orchard.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/26 05:24:26 (permalink)
      I don't know if deer are deterred by capital punishment or not but either way they make a nice stew to enjoy with the salad and dessert that you just saved!! 

There is a law here in Alaska that allows you to take moose out of season if they are damaging your crop or endangering you or your children. The salvageable meat is donated to local native tribes or people on public assistance. Same goes for moose that have been struck by cars.

David O.
    boyardee65
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/27 05:33:34 (permalink)
     The weather here has been amazing!!!  Sunny and 70-80 degrees and no rain or cold weather in the forecast.

Looks like I will be transplanting the basil and chives into the garden.  I planted another long row of radishes because I love them so!! I think that my carrots are finally breaking ground as well as the dill (only time will tell.)

Dandelions here are always a threat, so, punishment for my 8 year old is to dig out the plants; roots and all!! She hates it but she gets to enjoy the fruits of her labor, (so to speak.)

David O.
    post edited by boyardee65 - 2010/05/27 05:35:43
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    Re:So... What's growing in your garden? 2010/05/28 23:05:53 (permalink)
    Bottle Rockets seem to be doing the job at keeping the deer on the move !! Safer than firearms in this semi-rural neighborhood!

We just finished our first batch of Cherry Jam. 6 pints and 1 quart did the job on the first day's picking of the pie cherries. The Yellow sweet cherries are doing poorly this year. The trees have a good load, but they go from immature to brown-rot in the matter of a few hours. We hope to get at least a few useable Yellows this year, but with rain and near 90 degree temps I tend to doubt our success with them (again).

The Plucots are fairly small, but they have turned a nice frostly blue color ...now we will watch them and the other Plums and Apricots for any sign of ripening. I think they will be our biggest single crop this year.
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 10
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1