Hot!What are you reading?

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 51
Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4724
2006/06/13 11:07:50 (permalink)

What are you reading?

I just finished a very interesting book "Strange Piece of Paradise" by Terri Jentz. It concerns a 1977 crime near Redmond, Oregon where an unknown man attempted to kill two woman camped at a state park. What is most interesting is that Ms. Jentz was one of the two women assaulted and this book is her story of her personal investigation into what happened. It is a well-written, thoughtful and insightful book and I hope more people will read it. I am also interested in what other people are reading.

1501 Replies Related Threads

Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 11:38:45 (permalink)

I adore investigative/forensics literature also, Chipster. (Also all TV shows, not the drama ones, the Factual ones)

At present I am reading 'Smooth Operator'. Its a quick read, only 269 pages, but I have little time to read this time of year. It is an account of "serial killer Glen Rogers who left a trail of the bodies of redheaded women in four states in a 6 week orgy of violence." He is known as the "Casanova killer".
    Authored by Clifford L. linedecker.

Reading FREAK in the winter months,
    Copper
    RibRater
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1862
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 11:39:34 (permalink)
    Current read is... Manhunt : The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 11:44:09 (permalink)
    Anybody ever read Wilbur Smith's novels? I read a lot and in my opinion, he is the best I have ever read. He writes historical fiction around Africa. His description of flora and fauna is fantastic and he writes around historical events that have occurred on the continent. He has probably written 40 novels.

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/home/index.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    Dipstick
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 338
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 12:09:02 (permalink)
    I'm reading Eyes of Prey by local author John Sandford, who used to be a reporter for the St. Paul paper. A very intense crime novelist.
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 12:48:54 (permalink)
    Having read them several times over the years, I am rereading some of the Cussler series this summer. Dirk Pitt (the hero) is james bond and ME...Aging but not willing to admit that some of the Superpowers are gone !!
    The Corps Series and the Brotherhood of War will receive attention over the next year also. These are rereads for me too. I enjoy reliving the details of the writers adventures and find that I learn "new" things with each reread. I also like to be a 'nitpicker' and find the errors in the stories when the author writes a Series on the same character. Cussler is pretty good at not making those little mistakes, but some others aren't.

I miss James Michener. I appreciated the research he would do before setting pen to paper for one of his historical sagas.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 13:39:57 (permalink)
    Just read the Lobster Chronicles during some air travels. It is by Linda Greenlaw and details a few months of her life on Isle a Haut, Maine. It is a short book, and good read for a few hour plane ride.
    plb
    • Total Posts : 1028
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 13:44:19 (permalink)
    That's an easy question to answer, the Roodfood website.
    felix4067
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3444
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 13:47:58 (permalink)
    I'm on my summertime Carl Hiaasen kick again. Currently I'm in the middle of Skin Tight, having just read Strip Tease and Tourist Season. I was going to go see the movie Hoot and then read the book, but it's not playing anywhere near here, so I'll just have to read the book and be happy.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5408
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 14:10:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Dipstick

I'm reading Eyes of Prey by local author John Sandford, who used to be a reporter for the St. Paul paper. A very intense crime novelist.

Sanford is a favorite of mine, I've read several of his.

MikeS.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 14:15:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

Having read them several times over the years, I am rereading some of the Cussler series this summer. Dirk Pitt (the hero) is james bond and ME...Aging but not willing to admit that some of the Superpowers are gone !!
    The Corps Series and the Brotherhood of War will receive attention over the next year also. These are rereads for me too. I enjoy reliving the details of the writers adventures and find that I learn "new" things with each reread. I also like to be a 'nitpicker' and find the errors in the stories when the author writes a Series on the same character. Cussler is pretty good at not making those little mistakes, but some others aren't.

I miss James Michener. I appreciated the research he would do before setting pen to paper for one of his historical sagas.

Al, those are some very good selections. I like Cussler and the different Brotherhood of the military series from W.E.B.Griffin. I rarely re-read a book though. S.King's The Stand is an exception.

MikeS.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 14:39:41 (permalink)
    I'm currently reading books from Bernard Cornwell specifically his Richard Sharpe novels. Cornwell writes historical fiction. He takes his characters and places them in a fact based historical setting. The original Sharpe series was set in the Portuga/Spanish war against Napoleon in the 1812 - 15 timeframe. Sharpe is a British soldier fighting with Lord (to be) Wellington. More Sharpe books came out later with him in India in the 1803 - 05 timeframe.

MikeS.
    Copperhedzkettle
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 293
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 14:55:57 (permalink)

Fixed it, sorry for inconvenience. Just a little test.

Copper
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3900
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 14:59:40 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Sundancer7

Anybody ever read Wilbur Smith's novels? I read a lot and in my opinion, he is the best I have ever read. He writes historical fiction around Africa. His description of flora and fauna is fantastic and he writes around historical events that have occurred on the continent. He has probably written 40 novels.

http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/home/index.html

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

You know when you're read too many of his books when your friends start quoting Taita!
    Sundancer7
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 13476
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 15:02:23 (permalink)
    I have read everything Cussler has ever written. I emailed him and he sent back to me a personal hand written message along with a page of his original manuscript of "Sahara". I had it framed along with the envelope with his address. It is in three parts and really looks good in my study.

Dirk, who is his alter ego and a little bit of mine along with Giordiono are two great characters.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 15:05:37 (permalink)
    Just started "Iceberg" by Clive Cussler. Last book---"America" by Stephen Coonts.
    Pwingsx
    • Total Posts : 2170
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 16:00:42 (permalink)
    Just started "No Man Knows My History (The Life of Joseph Smith)", and looking over my shoulder for Warren Jeffs....that pedophilic b*stard....
    Sandy Thruthegarden
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 624
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 16:03:46 (permalink)
    Just started Kingfish "The Reign of Huey P. Long" by Richard D. White, Jr. Obviously, it's about the notorious former governor of Louisiana who went out with a bang. I love a good biography. Just finished The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion about her experience of dealing with the sudden death of her husband of 40 years. I know that sounds like a real downer but it is the most powerful and sensitive account of grieving I've ever read, including psychological studies on grief and all the self-help books.
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 17:22:08 (permalink)
    Cussler, W.E.B. Griffin, Dan Brown, Dale Brown, I've read most if not all of their books and most have been reread half a dozen times. Arthur Hailey, Asimov And many others also fill the shelves, Sci-fi and alternate histories, wizards,dragons, elves and Steven King.

Currently Im reading , Grant Comes East by Newt Gringrich and William R. Forstchen, as well as, Guilt by John Lescroart
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 17:30:47 (permalink)
    Just finished "One Drop of Blood" by Thomas Holland. Not a bad first novel set in rural Arkansas. Has a passage where one of the main characters has a need for a Peanut Coke Cola. For those not given to southern proclivities, that's pouring salty peanuts into your Coka Cola. A might easier for some to enjoy than say boiled green peanuts. It has a little roadfood woven into it. Deep fried burgers, chicken fried steak, chili burgers, biscuits and gravy, karo nut pie(don't hear that much these days) and the like to go along with murder DNA and a collection of "southernism's that reads like a backroad Mcguffy Reader.

I'm starting to read "The Blue Nowhere" by Jeffery Deaver. I'm all out of his Lincoln Rymes novels.

I'm plugging through a book by Edward Lazarus, the son of an attorney who represented the Sioux Nation vs. the USA over the Black Hills. It's called "Black Hills White Justice". Pretty depressing but full of history from 1775 to the present(well 1991).

We have a very small library here and I go through 1-3 books a week so I'm alway's looking and or waiting for something to be published. A good book is getting harder to find it seems. At least something original where you ain't figured out the plot by page 47. Sure is a pleasure when you do. Especially if it's fresh new author that may be up and coming.

There are a few Elmore Leonard's I've not read yet and am always on the hunt for. Oh, last week I read "A Dirty Job" by Christopher Moore. Very funny, and an irreverent wit! I'll be reading his other works when I find them or cojole (bribe) my librarian into ordering them.

I'm needing to find a handful of paperbacks to take with me as it's time to hit the Road and make a real living for a couple of months. May have to do a re-read or two. Your right MikeSh, "The Stand" is one of a few modern works that are worth that second while. I'll most likely grab a Mark Twain, Jules Verne, and maybe a Steinbeck. Nobody hardly ever wants to borrow or boost an "old book". They usually stay where you leave 'em! Curious huh?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15183
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 17:50:29 (permalink)

Pwingsx-- Not to worry we have him "Staked Out" (pun intended) over in Colorado City, AZ.

I will add several of the writers of Military/Tech novels like Clancy, Brown (never did a sequel that equals the FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG), and a few others.

For whatever reason I am not a fan of crime/horror writings (or film) so I tend to skip over thos entries.
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 18:36:35 (permalink)
    “pouring salty peanuts into your Coka Cola", by Pat T Hat."

Sorry Pat, not only in the South, I remember doing that in upstate NY 50+ years ago.

I'

I'm with the Cussler, Brown, and W.E.B. fans, have all their books. I really enjoyed the early Clancy books, Red Dawn Rising and The Hunt For Red October.

John
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 18:52:51 (permalink)
    for the cook in all of us, one of my favorite books is Jacques Pepin's "My Life as an Apprentise"

Somehow, he managed to string together anecdotal stories about growing up and learning from watching into a novel. If you've watched any of his t.v. specials, you can hear his voice in the writing.

I got to see him read from the book a couple years ago at the NAtional Book Festival here in DC. I got the book that day and have read it twice...the first book I think I"ve ever done that with.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6326
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 23:03:17 (permalink)
    I just finished HIDDEN PREY by John Sandford and started on BROKEN PREY while traveling. I was up until 1:00 AM Sunday night to finish HIDDEN PREY because it was a hard copy book and I had to get up at 4:00 AM to catch a flight and I didn't want to haul a hard copy with me.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/13 23:24:55 (permalink)
    "Iron Coffins" by Kptlt. Herbert Werner. It's an autobiographical story of the author's experiences in during WW2 in U-Boats.
    Pat T Hat
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 00:07:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John A

Sorry Pat, not only in the South, I remember doing that in upstate NY 50+ years ago.

I'

I'm with the Cussler, Brown, and W.E.B. fans, have all their books. I really enjoyed the early Clancy books, Red Dawn Rising and The Hunt For Red October.

John

No foolin'! How cool. Just can't keep a good goober down.

I agree with you on the early Tom Clancy's. They were great. I'm not sure where he lost me with diatribe. Somewhere around "Clear and Present Danger". He seemed to get obsessed with dry complications. I found myself swimming in paragraphs not knowing where I was. I understand his last was rather good. Anybody have a critique?
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 01:50:14 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Pat T Hat

quote:
    Originally posted by John A

I'

John

No foolin'! How cool. Just can't keep a good goober down.

I agree with you on the early Tom Clancy's. They were great. I'm not sure where he lost me with diatribe. Somewhere around "Clear and Present Danger". He seemed to get obsessed with dry complications. I found myself swimming in paragraphs not knowing where I was. I understand his last was rather good. Anybody have a critique?

Gave up around the time that he started putting his name on every one else's books. And video games!
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 03:08:23 (permalink)
    Anyone here who liked Hunt For Red October, check out http://www.ussdevilfish.com/index01.htm. Mr. DiMecurio, unlike Mr. Clancy, was a for real USN career submariner, officer type, (1) each. He writes some good novels. Check out the interview section to read his opinion of Clancy's abilities to write a good submarine story.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6647
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 04:04:09 (permalink)
    For my 50th I just got a nice surprise from Mom and Dad, a copy of Julia Child's "My Life in France". Julia and I were great friends through the AIWF and other associations and just plain cooking. I have been to her famous kitchen in Cambridge several times, it's now in the Smithsonian. She was always a totally hilarious person. I sure do miss Julia.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5546
    RE: What are you reading? 2006/06/14 09:44:17 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

For my 50th I just got a nice surprise from Mom and Dad, a copy of Julia Child's "My Life in France". Julia and I were great friends through the AIWF and other associations and just plain cooking. I have been to her famous kitchen in Cambridge several times, it's now in the Smithsonian. She was always a totally hilarious person. I sure do miss Julia.

I didn't realize she has a book out. Her PBS television shows with Jacques Pepin are among my favorite. I definately want to get a copy of that. It's on the top of my birthday wishes.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 51
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1