The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.??????

Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61
ayersian

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Fri, 11/11/11 7:15 PM (permalink)
These lists are always, at once, hilarious and eye-opening.  There's a couple of repeats on the Bon Appetit list here, but I can't tell which list was written first.  I think writers (over)use the word "best" to grab readers' attention -- and it always works.  Having grown up in the South -- and now living in soul-food-starved New England -- I am not one to ever push away fried chicken, and I love it all.  Of the Yahoo! list, I've eaten at Pies-N-Thighs with Billyboy, and it was really great.  I've also found Roscoe's, Prince's, and Mama Dip's to be topnotch.  It's all depends on your palate, really.  I can't wait to try the other ones on both lists!    Chris

jackd418

• Total Posts: 49
    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sat, 11/12/11 12:11 PM (permalink)
    They did include Mama Dips which is a good thing.

3fan4evr

• Total Posts: 61
      Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sun, 11/13/11 4:01 AM (permalink)
      Mama Dip's is wonderful for sure, but I must give a shout out to Bum's Restaurant in Ayden, NC. Undoutedly the best fried chicken I've ever eaten !!

mbrookes

• Total Posts: 1350
        Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 11/28/11 4:17 PM (permalink)
        A lot of people seem to like Two Sisters, but I miss out on the allure. The chicken is OK, but no where near the best in Jackson, much less in the country.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Wed, 11/30/11 1:08 PM (permalink)
          mbrookes

A lot of people seem to like Two Sisters, but I miss out on the allure. The chicken is OK, but no where near the best in Jackson, much less in the country.

As someone who has traveled all over the south and southern Midwest and has had fried chicken just about everywere, the Fried Chicken at Two Sister's Kitchen is some of the best I've had.

Many have raved about the the Fried Chicken at Blue Willow Inn and Ms Wilkes' however I found the fried chicken at both places to be very ordinary.

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
            Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 12/5/11 8:18 AM (permalink)
            About 45 minutes north of Kansas City lies the little crossroads of a town called Edgerton, MO.  All that's there is a great restaurant called Harmer's.  They have the brest fried chicken, and people discuss whether it's the cast iron skillets or some other secret that makes their chicken so good, but people come from miles around.

QFan

• Total Posts: 641
              Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 12/5/11 7:21 PM (permalink)
              Just surprised that there's no mention made of Willie Mae's Scotch House in NoLa. Was (before Katrina) and still is one of American's unique roadfood establishments!

QFan
              Bonita Springs, FL

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4898
                Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 12/5/11 10:47 PM (permalink)
                Had lunch at Pollo Campero today. Their fried (and grilled) chicken is fabulous. Now they are serving 4 kinds of fried or grilled chicken tacos. Three for $4.99. You pick which three of the four kinds you want. They all come "loaded". The price includes a side. I had the yucca fries today. After you've eaten yucca fries, you'll never want French fried potatoes again.

Twinwillow

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 12/5/11 10:56 PM (permalink)
                  mar52

MetroplexJim: 

Now, they are also serving grilled chicken which my wife loves!  They also have a salsa bar.  I wish they also offered sour cream which goes great with "Broasted-style" chicken.

The Pollo Comperos around here sell plantains and crema so maybe if you asked for some crema... 

Jim, the (few) Dallas stores also offer "crema". Especially good with their incomparable fried plantains. Just ask for it. However, I recommend the sauce that they serve with the fried yucca. Fantastic! Like the Guatemalan version of "special sauce". Wait till you dip some fried chicken in that sauce!

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                    Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 12/6/11 12:01 AM (permalink)
                    I don't know what you folks call "crema", but around these parts, the sauce is a forcefully seasoned sour orange/oil/onion/garlic sauce called Mojo. Depending how it's made, it can have a creamy look especially if it's based on a bottled mojo marinade that has xanthan gum and blended rather then discrete ingredients. That's served with smashed and refried green plantains that we call tostones and also with boiled yucca or as a sauce with Lechon or roasted chicken. Heck, we dip Cuban bread in it too or just about anything. It's Cuban Penicillin. Wait till you dip something in OUR sauce!

Twinwillow

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 12/6/11 12:08 AM (permalink)
                      Mojo is a delicious spicy hot Cuban sauce as described above. In Mexican and Central American cuisine, "crema" is basically just, sour cream.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
                        Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 12/6/11 8:48 AM (permalink)
                        Twinwillow

Mojo is a delicious spicy hot Cuban sauce as described above. In Mexican and Central American cuisine, "crema" is basically just, sour cream.

Your tips about what is now available at Pollo Campero will be most useful for my next trip there.  As an aside, several years ago I read that Wal-Mart would be offering in-store Pollo Campero in Latino neighborhoods.  I wish they'd do that for at least one of their four "super centers" within five miles of our home here in McKinney.

As the second ex-Mrs. Metro was a native of Bolivia my primary exposure to Latin foods (and sauces) is South American - the Andrean nations, Brasil, and Argentina.  In SA sour cream is crema agria; "crema" is crème fraîche.

Twinwillow

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 12/6/11 10:46 AM (permalink)
                          MetroplexJim

Twinwillow

Your tips about what is now available at Pollo Campero will be most useful for my next trip there.  As an aside, several years ago I read that Wal-Mart would be offering in-store Pollo Campero in Latino neighborhoods.  I wish they'd do that for at least one of their four "super centers" within five miles of our home here in McKinney.

As the second ex-Mrs. Metro was a native of Bolivia my primary exposure to Latin foods (and sauces) is South American - the Andrean nations, Brasil, and Argentina.  In SA sour cream is crema agria; "crema" is crème fraîche.

At Pollo Campero, their crema is thick like sour cream. However, I've noticed at local authentic Mexican restaurants, their crema is not as thick as sour cream.

Jim, write me if you ever want to meet up at a Dallas area Pollo Campero for lunch together.
                          <message edited by Twinwillow on Tue, 12/6/11 10:49 AM>

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                            Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 07/10/12 12:28 PM (permalink)
                            My recommendation for best fried chicken would be Cook's Corner in Dearborn, Mo    They claim their secret is their cast iron skillets.  They also serve outstanding tenderloins as well, and excellent homemade pies and cobblers.  Outstanding Midwest food.

shahadat991

• Total Posts: 5
                              Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 09/4/12 2:46 AM (permalink)
                              hello,
                              While fried chicken traces its origins to the South, innovative chefs across the country understand the innate appeal of the homey, crunchy, juicy dish. Here are 10 of the best fried-chicken restaurants you'll find:
                              thanks

MetroplexJim

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sat, 09/8/12 11:08 AM (permalink)
                                Going back to the Yahoo "list" that started this thread - at least they listed one of my all-time favorites:  Prince's Hot Chicken of Nashville.  It is wonderous and this hilarious video really "catches the flavor":  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72xXxV9qIPg .

I am shocked that Stoud's of K.C. and Babe's of Dallas were not listed.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                                  Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sat, 09/8/12 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                  I've had the fortune to eat at Pine state biscuits and princes.  I liked Princes for the heat and Pine State's biscuit and chicken was first rate. I don't think I have a sophisticated enough palate to judge fried chicken very well having grown up in oregon and not really being a huge fan of chicken in general. National polls are always interesting. I did not like Roscoe's all that much when i was there two months ago but it wasn't horrible. i hope some day to visit Kansas City and sample Stroud's.

Twinwillow

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sat, 09/8/12 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                    Although I still love Pollo Campero, lately, (due to their close proximity to my home) I've been using the drive thru at Popeye's. It's so convenient for me. I'm there and back home in less than 15 minutes with delicious, crispy, tasty fried chicken, biscuits and cole slaw dinner. I'm a very happy camper for only about $6.99.
                                    <message edited by Twinwillow on Sat, 09/8/12 5:47 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9567
                                      Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sun, 09/9/12 6:09 AM (permalink)

RibDog

• Total Posts: 593
                                        Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Sun, 09/9/12 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                        I agree with Buddy that Stroud's should be on the list as it is the best I have had.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
                                          Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 09/10/12 4:20 PM (permalink)
                                          If the folks responsible for that list are really interested in great fried chicken, then they need to get down here to southeastern Indiana, where the dish is almost an obsession. There's quite a few mom-and-pop places ( no chains of course ) in this corner of the state that serve up some amazing fried chicken. My favorite is the Old Brick Tavern in tiny Penntown, just a few miles east of Batesville. Other favorites of mine include St. Leon's Tavern in ( where else? ) St. Leon, and Wagner's Village Inn in the very German community of Oldenburg, several miles north of here. A couple of weeks ago I took Screaming Chicken to Wagner's and he gave their boid a big thumbs up. The Fireside Inn, the Brau Haus and Klump's Tavern ( taverns serving fried chicken dinners are big around here ) also have very good chicken, and every one of these places deserves to be Roadfood-reviewed.
                                          <message edited by carolina bob on Mon, 09/10/12 11:29 PM>

MiamiDon

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Tue, 09/11/12 2:49 PM (permalink)
                                            Twinwillow

Mojo is a delicious spicy hot Cuban sauce as described above.

Cuban mojo is neither spicy nor hot.

ezrydr

• Total Posts: 14
                                              • Location: Illinois (I-80 corridor)
                                              Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Thu, 09/13/12 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                              I've always loved Harold's, on Chicago's south side, but for the last few years I find that the fried chicken at Anne's Hideaway in Naplate, Illinois (about an hour west of Joliet), to be a little better.
                                              <message edited by ezrydr on Thu, 09/13/12 7:58 PM>

oldrebel58

• Total Posts: 1
                                                Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 11/5/12 10:41 PM (permalink)
                                                I am not sure of the best f chicken in the us but i wonder if anyone has eaten at a Mrs Winners in Atlanta or other states or Frenchy's in houston. These are 2 of the best fc chain places i have ever eaten. Anybody know if Mrs. Winners is still going in some form after bankruptcy and are they still as good? Any info drop me an email!
                                                hungry reb

Hepcat

• Total Posts: 374
                                                  Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Mon, 11/5/12 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                                  shahadat991

While fried chicken traces its origins to the South, innovative chefs across the country understand the innate appeal of the homey, crunchy, juicy dish. Here are 10 of the best fried-chicken restaurants you'll find:

Huh?! So where is here?

MetroplexJim

Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? Wed, 09/11/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
                                                    marteenhook

If you have a Pit Barrel Cooker then you can make The Best Fried Chicken at your home easily.

Nice try, but this thread is about fried chicken.

marteenhook

• Total Posts: 35
                                                      Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? Thu, 09/26/13 3:21 AM (permalink)
                                                      MetroplexJim

marteenhook

If you have a Pit Barrel Cooker then you can make The Best Fried Chicken at your home easily.

Yes dear You can do it. If you search on google How to make fried chicken in Pit Barrel Cooker then you can get lots of YouTube video for the cook.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7386
                                                        • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                                        Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? Thu, 09/26/13 7:08 AM (permalink)
                                                        MetroplexJim

marteenhook

Why are you even wasting your time responding to spam?

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                                                          • Location: Atlanta, GA
                                                          Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.? Thu, 09/26/13 3:23 PM (permalink)
                                                          We had exceptionally good fried chicken, following a reader's recommendation, at a place called Bell's Hamburgers in Toccoa, GA earlier this month.  It may not be as good as Gus's or Champy's, but it was a whole lot better than most that I have had. 

Ed Face

• Total Posts: 20
                                                            • Location: Rochester, NY
                                                            Re:The Best Fried Chicken in the U.S.?????? Thu, 09/26/13 6:46 PM (permalink)
                                                            Willie Mae's Scotch House in New Orleans is my favorite. It has an amazing brittle crust, it's wet battered and perfectly seasoned, red beans & rice with pickled pork is the perfect side. Delish.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 123 > | Showing page 2 of 3, messages 31 to 60 of 61

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com