The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Casey's General Store pizza

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 9:44 AM (permalink)
If you're not a native Midwesterner and you find yourself out in that region, there are, in my opinion, two sources for pizza that are required for you to sample: Happy Joe's, and Casey's General Store.

Happy Joe's has been mentioned here before  but Casey's is rather less well-known.  It's certainly not the same tier as Happy Joe's... but it's remarkably good all the same, even more so considering where you obtain it: Casey's gas stations.  Higher quality ingredients than you might expect, especially the pork-based ones (they'd better be, considering Casey's is Iowa-based); the pizza itself is on the saltier side.

Here's one I got a few months ago while I was visiting Des Moines - half sausage, half Canadian bacon:

<message edited by Ketteract on Tue, 01/29/13 9:45 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
    Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 1:50 PM (permalink)
    Agreed.  Casey's pizza has un-hungried me a few times over the years and the pizzas are even available made to order, which in some small towns is the only way to get one.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
      Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 2:51 PM (permalink)
      Looks strangely like a Dominoes...and that's NOT pizza!!!

collinf

• Total Posts: 159
        Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 3:17 PM (permalink)
        Leethebard is correct -  it is about the same quality as Domino's.  I'm not a fan.  Happy Joe's is still good, but Casey's is something called pizza in most places where there are no pizza restaurants, so they tend to have a monopoly for miles.  I guess if you're drunk on a Friday night, anything you can get your hands on will seem good.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7379
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 3:22 PM (permalink)
          I agree, that pizza doesn't look very good.
          Honestly the only place in the Midwest I would consider eating pizza is Chicago (deep dish only)
          I couldn't even imagine traveling to the midwest and wasting a meal on pizza when there are so many other great things to have, however as a local you would  have to settle for what you have available

tiki

• Total Posts: 4135
            Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 3:41 PM (permalink)
            Never order tenderloin sandwiches in New York! Nuff said

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
              Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 3:47 PM (permalink)
              I kinda like midwestern pizza. It ain't supposed to be Eye-talian.

trzhotel

• Total Posts: 136
                Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 3:49 PM (permalink)
                I think the Native Iowan chain Breadeaux Pizza makes a better slice in this part of the country.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6067
                  Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 8:53 PM (permalink)
                  1bbqboy

I kinda like midwestern pizza. It ain't supposed to be Eye-talian.

Not exactly being respectful to us Italians....midwestern accent or not!!!!

1bbqboy

• Total Posts: 4542
                    Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 10:34 PM (permalink)
                    Plenty of Italians in KC, including many of my former employers, but I would claim Midwestern pizza as a separate reality, and stand by my statement.
                    Lots of flatbreads with a meat and toppings on them, all around the world.

trzhotel

• Total Posts: 136
                      Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 01/29/13 10:55 PM (permalink)
                      Casey's General Store is to small town Iowa what Dairy Queen is to small town Texas: the only choice. They have their own supply chain and use their monopoly on groceries in their tiny locations as well. Im not gonna name names and places, but important people in rural Iowa get really angry when the local Gas Station closes. Its the last straw for some towns when people can't buy gas, worse than school consolidations.

The Canadian Bacon or Breakfast slices are the way to go.

mousec

• Total Posts: 298
                        Re:Casey's General Store pizza Wed, 01/30/13 4:41 AM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew

I agree, that pizza doesn't look very good.
                        Honestly the only place in the Midwest I would consider eating pizza is Chicago (deep dish only)
                        I couldn't even imagine traveling to the midwest and wasting a meal on pizza when there are so many other great things to have, however as a local you would  have to settle for what you have available
                        I would agree that I wouldn't waste a meal on Casey's Pizza but you would be remiss to pass up the opportunity to have something other then deep dish when you are in town.
                        Great Lake Pizza
                        http://www.lthforum.com/b...hilit=Great+Lake+Pizza
                        Candlelite
                        http://www.lthforum.com/b...ic.php?f=14&t=1612

Ketteract

Re:Casey's General Store pizza Wed, 01/30/13 8:02 AM (permalink)
                          trzhotel

Casey's General Store is to small town Iowa what Dairy Queen is to small town Texas: the only choice. They have their own supply chain and use their monopoly on groceries in their tiny locations as well. Im not gonna name names and places, but important people in rural Iowa get really angry when the local Gas Station closes. Its the last straw for some towns when people can't buy gas, worse than school consolidations.

The Canadian Bacon or Breakfast slices are the way to go.

I was in Des Moines, where I know there are better places (such as Fong's!) but, even there, I still think Casey's is a perfectly respectable go-to for convenience's sake - certainly more respectable than, say, Fazoli's, whose pizza ranks even below the big three...

carlton pierre

• Total Posts: 2500
                            Re:Casey's General Store pizza Wed, 01/30/13 10:29 PM (permalink)
                            Wow, Casey's?  I've been to Casey's a number of times over the years but never considered getting a pizza from them.    I'm just not sure about getting a pizza from them.

kennyb

• Total Posts: 374
                              Re:Casey's General Store pizza Sun, 02/3/13 7:47 PM (permalink)
                              where is Happy joe's? not a Caseys fan.

• Total Posts: 335
                                Re:Casey's General Store pizza Sun, 02/3/13 9:00 PM (permalink)
                                I've read some rave reviews about pizza from Casey's.  Unfortunately the nearest restaurant to me is in Indiana (was Greenfield (or was it Alexandria?  No, it was Hartford City!) until recently, until one opened in New Castle).  That hasn't stopped me from getting gas from them in my travels.  Do they offer in-store dining, or are they carry-out only?

kennyb

http://www.happyjoes.com/

Looks like its restaurants are mostly in western Illinois and Iowa.
                                <message edited by 45013 on Sun, 02/3/13 9:02 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                                  Re:Casey's General Store pizza Mon, 02/4/13 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                  I don't recall ever seeing customer seating in a Casey's unless you count the restrooms.  And speaking of restrooms, the ones in the Casey's on the eastern side of Grundy Center, Iowa, are extremely nice.

kennyb

Re:Casey's General Store pizza Mon, 02/4/13 9:28 AM (permalink)
                                    ScreamingChicken

I don't recall ever seeing customer seating in a Casey's unless you count the restrooms.  And speaking of restrooms, the ones in the Casey's on the eastern side of Grundy Center, Iowa, are extremely nice.

all the newer caseys have in side seating. most even have a deli in them.  

Ketteract

Re:Casey's General Store pizza Thu, 02/7/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                      kennyb

If you feel like taking a trip to the KC area, there's a place in Independence called Tim's Pizza that was started by a former Happy Joe's manager.  He brought some aspects of Happy Joe's to his pizza, to the point where it could be termed an excellent knock-off.  Similar crust, similar sauce, same diced Canadian bacon... it's not quite HJ, but it's quality pizza in its own right and well worth a look!

kennyb

Re:Casey's General Store pizza Fri, 02/8/13 2:25 PM (permalink)
                                        Ketteract

kennyb

If you feel like taking a trip to the KC area, there's a place in Independence called Tim's Pizza that was started by a former Happy Joe's manager.  He brought some aspects of Happy Joe's to his pizza, to the point where it could be termed an excellent knock-off.  Similar crust, similar sauce, same diced Canadian bacon... it's not quite HJ, but it's quality pizza in its own right and well worth a look!

i'll give it a try. i'm in kc about everyday.

Fishbilly

• Total Posts: 11
                                          Re:Casey's General Store pizza Wed, 02/13/13 6:18 AM (permalink)
                                          I know a guy who opened a pizza shop directly across the street from Casey's. He loves Casey's pizza.

Theedge

• Total Posts: 1196
                                            Re:Casey's General Store pizza Wed, 03/20/13 2:17 PM (permalink)
                                            We have a Casey's here in town, I've not tried their pizza.  I did have the below pizza delivered the last night.  It's a thin crust with extra cheese, pep and sausage.  It has a nice amount of grease....I'm not ashamed, I like it.

<message edited by Theedge on Wed, 03/20/13 2:25 PM>

WarToad

• Total Posts: 1787
                                              Re:Casey's General Store pizza Mon, 07/15/13 7:46 AM (permalink)
                                              Having grown up in 1970s-80s small town mid-west I've eaten Casey's pizza many-a-time in my youth.  You have to remember for many prarie towns(especially of that era) it was the only pizza option in 10-15-20 miles besides a frozen Tony's.(entire pizza, .99 cents)  And the next option may have been another Casey's in the next town over.  I remember it beig a big deal to go visit grandma and grandpa and go to a Happy Joes, a REAL pizza place!

• Total Posts: 335
                                                Re:Casey's General Store pizza Fri, 08/2/13 1:40 PM (permalink)
                                                I got to try Casey's for pizza at their New Castle, IN, location Monday.  The oven uses conveyor belts, kind of what Pizza Hut used to use back in the day (I toured one of their restaurants back in like 1984).  Unfortunately it fell short of what you see in the top picture; the crust is much thinner.

konnie

• Total Posts: 334
                                                  Re:Casey's General Store pizza Tue, 09/3/13 5:30 PM (permalink)
                                                  Don't put down Casey's Pizza until you have lived in a small Kansas town of under 4,000 population and the only other eating choice is a DQ or Pizza Hut.  They make a decent pizza at a decent price.  They are very popular in smaller Kansas towns and are carry out only.

Mike S.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                    • No New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                    • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                    • Read Message
                                                    • Post New Thread
                                                    • Reply to message
                                                    • Post New Poll
                                                    • Submit Vote
                                                    • Post reward post
                                                    • Delete my own posts
                                                    • Delete my own threads
                                                    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com