The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Sat, 05/25/13 8:13 AM (permalink)
So last year I moved to Connecticut, an area with its own rich pizza tradition and a list of names that can hold their own against anything from NYC - Frank Pepe, Sally's, Modern, Colony Grill, Randy's Wooster Street, Zuppardi's, Roseland, etc. 

But many of these places are a bit of a drive, and often you don't want to go that far, but you don't want a chain pizza either, so you settle for something in between.  One place I've patronized a lot, since I live on the edge of Cromwell, is a little joint called Zerio's.  Here's a pizza I had from them recently:

It's not at the level of the New Haven giants, but it's a fine pie in its own right.  I've also had their sausage, and I can attest to its quality.

If you're in a region famous for pizza, what are some places you have that are like this?  Where would you go if you didn't feel like going to, say, Giordano's or Lombardi's, but you sure as heck weren't settling for Pizza Hut?
<message edited by Ketteract on Sat, 05/25/13 8:15 AM>

TnTinCT

Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Sun, 05/26/13 10:21 PM (permalink)
    Welcome to the land of amazing pizza! We have a place about 10 minutes from us that has great pizza - Little City in Simsbury, CT.  One of the best pepperoni pizzas I have ever had.

Yankeedoodle

• Total Posts: 15
      Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Tue, 05/28/13 3:25 AM (permalink)
      TnTinCT

Welcome to the land of amazing pizza! We have a place about 10 minutes from us that has great pizza - Little City in Simsbury, CT.  One of the best pepperoni pizzas I have ever had.

Man that looks fantastic. I'd weigh 600 lbs if I lived in conn. with the Pizza,Dogs and Donuts.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4724
        Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Tue, 05/28/13 12:48 PM (permalink)
        Now that is a pepperoni pizza!!

Ketteract

• Total Posts: 104
          Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Fri, 08/30/13 5:05 PM (permalink)
          Harry's Pizza, West Hartford.  It had cooled down a bit before I got a chance to eat it.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3705
            Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Sat, 08/31/13 4:38 PM (permalink)
            It's nice to see pepperoni with a little thickness to it.  These days the chains must have laser slicers!  The pepperoni on a Papa Murphy's is so thin you can almost see through it!

---------

BTW:  whatever happened to the old school pepperoni that was nickel-sized and thick cut?  Now that was the real deal!

Anyone seen it lately?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
              Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Sat, 08/31/13 8:49 PM (permalink)
              In Austin, Texas, I love the authentic NY style hand thrown pizzas from 360 Pizza. Great toppings include both imported Italian pepperoni as well as domestic pepperoni. Great sauce and most important, great crust! 
              http://www.eataustineat.com/#video=360pizza
              http://www.yelp.com/biz/360-pizza-austin

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                Re:Lesser-known pizza, in places famous for pizza Tue, 09/17/13 7:25 AM (permalink)
                Highly recommend Jerry's in Middletown - http://jerrysct.com/.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com