Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition

Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 103
CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Fri, 06/7/13 8:51 PM (permalink)
love2bake

The chocolate cream pie with the pearls cut beautifully.  It was a commercial pie, so may have had some products in it that helped, or it might have been as simple as a bit of gelatin.

Singing  "Watch it wiggle, see it jiggle...."

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1270
    Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sat, 06/8/13 9:39 AM (permalink)
    Good one, Cajun.

Instead of staying to judge the professional Best of Show on Sunday afternoon, I got on the road, as I had a 4-hour drive to Savannah and had had enough sugar as it was!

I didn't stop anywhere significant in Florida, although I was bummed to find that even in the south I couldn't get Hardee's biscuit sandwiches after their breakfast hours. 

In Savannah, I tried to get to a few places I'd read about on Roadfood (B & Js Steak and Seafood) and Yelp (Walls' Barbecue, The Pit Stop), but B & Js closes at 2pm on Sundays, Walls' isn't open at all on Sundays, and The Pit Stop phone number wasn't working.  (Was TTM in the neighborhood???)  I ended up at Sisters, which specializes in southern/soul food. 
    http://thesistersofthenew...com/ordereze/home.aspx

Here's a photo of what I got:

Looks good, but was so-so.  Although the shrimp was fine, I think their strong suit at Sisters is probably their braised meats.  The green beans came straight from a can (no pork in them--I asked) and the mashed potatoes didn't taste "real."  However, I could choose any gravy from their meats to put on the potatoes, which was a nice option! 

I also got their red velvet cake--extremely moist:

Next morning I hit the Bojangles near my hotel for breakfast.  (Fast food phobes please avert your eyes.)  I got a steak biscuit:

and a country ham and egg biscuit:

My destination for the day was Oak Island, NC, about 25 miles south of Wilmington.  This route would take me close to the Carolina Cider Company in Yemassee, SC.  http://www.roadfood.com/R...na-cider-company 
    A clear tourist destination, there's a huge variety of locally made food items, and I zeroed in on some cute little mini-pies:  pecan:

and blueberry crumb:

I didn't eat these right away, as I was holding out for Flip's in Wilmington, but when I did have them they were both very nice little pastries.

So, I made it to Flip's, another Roadfood favorite!  http://www.roadfood.com/R...nt/Overview/7474/flips

Me:  Can an adult get a kid's plate?
    Owner:  You can get anything you want--this is Flip's!

Great answer.

As you can see, a kid's plate is still a lot of food--well, for me, anyway.  Having lived in the Raleigh/Durham area for several years and having gone to Topsail Beach many times, I'm quite familiar with BBQ in this part of the state.  I thought Flip's was a little bit spicier and more vinegary than what I've had before, so definitely a signature version.  The slightly sweet hush puppies were a great contrast to the BBQ, and I loved the corn nuggets!

They sell jars of their sauce by the cash register:

I didn't try any dessert here--not out of any virtue on my part, though.  I still had those little mini-pies waiting.

Twenty-five miles south, I reached my destination, and even though it was a gray day that turned rainy at night, it was so soothing to be here.

More to come soon--bye for now!
    <message edited by love2bake on Sat, 06/8/13 9:56 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7743
      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sat, 06/8/13 9:57 AM (permalink)
      Flippin' hush puppies...

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Tue, 06/11/13 9:49 PM (permalink)
        Spent most of the next day in Southport, NC, after starting out with breakfast at Nay Nay's Diner on Oak Island.  Formerly a Huddle House and after that a Gravy Boat, this restaurant is connected to a gas station and serves typical diner style food 24 hours a day.  The owner, who worked there prior to owning it, said the summer crowds can get pretty rough in the wee hours.

They pride themselves in their waffles--even put a perky photo of one on the cover of their menu.

So I got a waffle (kinda heavy and no pic) and some country ham:

Then I headed for Southport, where I found two bakeries I didn't know existed. 

The first one was named Side Street Bakery, appropriately named as it's just off Howe Street, which is the main road leading to and through Southport.  I got only a couple of things here--a shortbread cookie and a supposedly key lime pie, which was probably only lime.

Not far away from this spot was Burney's Bakery and Ice Cream Shop which turned out to be a great discovery!  Here's the collection of goodies I picked up at Burney's:

Here's a closeup of the small, deep fried and glazed croissant.  I've recently read that these are called cronuts--a name that doesn't do them justice, in my opinion.

I loved this little pastry!  They had several versions of it with different fillings, like cheese, chocolate, fruit jams, etc.  Mmmmm...

Each of those mini-pies (chocolate pecan, sweet potato, and coconut custard) were delicious as well, but the chocolate one knocked my socks off.  It was not your typical chocolate pie, but was intensely fudgy with crunchy pecans, and I adored it.  The only thing I didn't care for, which was surprising to me, was the cinnamon bun.  No problem--as you'll see, I'm not going to waste away!

I met a friend for late lunch at a place called Fishy Fishy Cafe. 
        http://www.fishyfishycafe.com/
        It's not road food, but it's a pleasant place to grab a bite.  They have some seating on a dock with a terrific view and a little extra company:

These gulls can be a bit aggressive, however, and more than once they descended on unbussed tables and we had to shoo them away.  Still, I loved this setting.

We both ordered fish tacos which looked more like chimichangas and were deep fried--it's the south, y'all.  The chips were made in house.

Close up.  You can see they were spicy.

On my way back to Oak Island, I stopped at Maters & Taters, a produce stand.

There was one thing I was after:

Yep--I scored boiled p-nuts.  I love em.

I didn't really have room for dinner, but I stopped at Bar-B-Que House anyway, and got chopped BBQ:

and Brunswick stew:

This chopped pork BBQ was pretty dry, which seemed unusual to me.  It didn't taste like classic Carolina BBQ to me, but I managed!!

On my way from NC to Virginia the next day, I finally got a Hardee's biscuit with pork chop and gravy.  Trust me, it was gooooood.

Next and last stop for this trip will be Virginia and DC.  Later dude...
        <message edited by love2bake on Tue, 06/11/13 9:54 PM>

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
          Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Tue, 06/11/13 10:59 PM (permalink)
          Boiled Peanuts!  That would have been the highlight for me.

Funny looking gull (compared to the west coast variety)

Loving your report, your pictures and your choice of foods!

(They really called those things tacos?)

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
            Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Wed, 06/12/13 6:18 AM (permalink)
            l2b, great report, great pictures, looks like a fun time. I love bakeries that you can get small bites of pastry items. The Red velvet cake looked like it would go down well...............have fun.................pnwc

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Wed, 06/12/13 3:37 PM (permalink)
              AGAIN I SAY (as a man from the southlands)

BOILED PEANUTS YUCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Wed, 06/12/13 3:38 PM (permalink)
                Those fish "tacos" look yummy and so does the brunswick stew.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17810
                  Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Wed, 06/12/13 3:44 PM (permalink)
                  CajunKing

AGAIN I SAY (as a man from the southlands)

BOILED PEANUTS YUCKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!

I'm with you.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Wed, 06/12/13 4:10 PM (permalink)
                    Haha Michael and Cajun!!  I think they just taste like other cooked legumes, but a little saltier.  Fun to eat and great with beer.

Cajun - I liked the Brunswick stew, too, and the condiments with those "tacos" were very tasty as well.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Wed, 06/12/13 6:08 PM (permalink)
                      Great trip report! Glad to see you got to score some boiled goobers! That's my favourite road side stand food. I usually have to make my own, this far north. Thank goodness for asian food stores.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 5:19 PM (permalink)
                        Best thing to do with boiled peanuts is put them in the cuisinart and make peanut butter with them.  Wet slimy things YUCK!!!

WHY do people make "key" lime pie GREEN?????

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 6:20 PM (permalink)
                          Root-beer - isn't that interesting about Asian food stores?  I was totally surprised when I found out that they make those, too.  I've tried making my own, but they end up way too salty.

Cajun - I won't make you eat any boiled peanuts if you don't make me eat any mayonnaise!  Maybe the bakers add green color to help them differentiate from lemon tarts?  What do I know...

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                            Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 6:38 PM (permalink)
                            CajunKing

WHY do people make "key" lime pie GREEN?????

Because they can!   Here is a Key Lime Pie from your beloved Cajun country at Gator Cove in Lafayette, LA.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 6:58 PM (permalink)
                              Final installment for this trip!

My destination was Warrenton, VA, where my sister lives.  She likes to cook, so we ate a lot at her house, and most of it was pretty healthy--a good thing after what I'd been doing the past week!  However, we did visit Carousel Frozen Treats http://www.carouselfrozentreats.com/
                              and I got this small black raspberry and chocolate custard swirl (made smaller by my sister who grabbed the first bite.

On Friday we went to DC to poke around, and we decided to visit the Newseum, which is devoted to the field of journalism. http://www.newseum.com/
                              There's so much to see here, and our late start meant that we'd miss a few things, but we still saw plenty and thoroughly enjoyed our visit.

One of their permanent exhibits I was interested in was the Pulitzer Prize Photographs Gallery.  However, I barely got through about 25 photos when I became so overcome with emotion at one photo that I could not continue.  This is a very powerful and intense experience, and for those who are stronger/tougher than me I'm sure it's a wonderful exhibit! 
                              http://www.newseum.com/ex...ts/pulitzer/index.html

One exhibit we spent a lot of time in was the History of News Gallery.  It had drawers and drawers of front pages of newspapers through the years and was an amazing trip through the past--some before I was born and some since--but all interesting and significant events.  
                              http://www.newseum.com/ex...ews-history/index.html

There was an exhibit on 9/11, and on display in this area was the broadcast antenna from the North Tower, World Trade Center:

Incredible.  http://www.newseum.com/ex...hibits/9-11/index.html

There was also a temporary exhibit on John F. Kennedy with a variety of artifacts from the time period, including clothing worn by Lee Harvey Oswald.  There are also videos, radio broadcasts and a place to write down where you were when you heard the news.
                              http://www.newseum.com/ex...xhibits/jfk/index.html

We saw quite a few other things here.  Check out the list if you're interested.  I highly recommend visiting the Newseum.  It's not cheap, but maybe you can find a discount ticket if you plan, which we didn't!
                              http://www.newseum.com/ex...nd-theaters/index.html

Another day we went on a hike and I saw the brightest bug I've ever seen.  Does anyone know anything about these?

I also spent time with a good friend who lives in Fredericksburg.  We always go to Cracker Barrel, which I love--especially their pancakes which come with warm, real maple syrup.  YES!

And a visit to their small farm:

Next day we got BBQ from McCoy's BBQ, which operates on Saturdays and Sundays only.  Here he is doing his pitmaster magic:

Here are his ribs, with a little sauce on them.  It's not a great photo, but they were tasty:

What I liked best was the pulled pork.  Here it is without sauce, but their sauce made it extra delicious.

Sadly they were already out of their very popular smoked mac & cheese, but here's a picture of their cole slaw, which I didn't try, being a mayo-phobe.

That's it!!!  Thanks for listening, and I hope to have a 2014 version next spring!
                              <message edited by love2bake on Thu, 06/13/13 7:07 PM>

mar52

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 7:16 PM (permalink)

However, we did visit Carousel Frozen Treats http://www.carouselfrozentreats.com/
                                and I got this small black raspberry and chocolate custard swirl (made smaller by my sister who grabbed the first bite.

Doesn't your sister know that the first bite is the best?  I bet she also takes the first sip of a beer.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6222
                                  Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 7:22 PM (permalink)
                                  Last time I was at Cracker Barrel it was not real Maple Syrup. I know they allude to it being Maple Syrup with some very careful wording but it is not 100% pure Maple Syrup.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 9:04 PM (permalink)
                                    Mar - She says she just was on autopilot--it just happened, she said.  Mm hmmmm

Davydd - Maybe in some Cracker Barrels you can't get the real thing, but I know my maple syrup flavor, and in Fredericksburg, VA it was real.  Maybe you have to ask for it, which we did.
                                    <message edited by love2bake on Fri, 06/14/13 7:23 PM>

mhill95

• Total Posts: 189
                                      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 9:09 PM (permalink)
                                      Yeah.......they did it a couple years ago.
                                      55% Maple Syrup
                                      45% Cane Syrup
                                      still not a bad flavor.

mike

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Thu, 06/13/13 9:13 PM (permalink)
                                        Mar - She says she just was on autopilot--it just happened, she said.  Mm hmmmm

Davydd - You're right--they called it Pure Natural Syrup, but it's a blend of real maple and cane, I believe, and it doesn't have fake maple flavor or taste like "pancake syrup."  For 100% pure, most places charge extra, which I am willing to pay for.

Ralph Melton

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Fri, 06/14/13 12:45 PM (permalink)
                                          Thanks for a lovely report. I enjoyed reading this.

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sat, 06/15/13 9:58 PM (permalink)
                                            That's a Tiger Beetle. The fastest runner in the insect world.

mar52

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sat, 06/15/13 10:00 PM (permalink)
                                              How's its golf swing?

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sat, 06/15/13 10:04 PM (permalink)
                                                It can hit a ball 575 yards...if it doesn't hit a tree...or the person that should be screaming & running fast...away from the Tiger Beetle.

love2bake

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sat, 06/15/13 11:31 PM (permalink)
                                                  Ha--that's it!!!  Thanks! I lived on the east coast for more than 30 years and never saw these.  Then on a walking trail in VA saw two of them--standing still, apparently.

Good one, Mar.
                                                  <message edited by love2bake on Sat, 06/15/13 11:33 PM>

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sun, 06/16/13 12:05 AM (permalink)
                                                    Here's an article about how shall we say... the "fauxnuts"

http://m.eater.com/archiv...m-around-the-world.php

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                      Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sun, 06/16/13 9:21 AM (permalink)
                                                      Wow--some of those "faux-nuts" look pretty irresistible!  There are probably some out here, but I just haven't seen or heard of them. 

Btw, I should have mentioned that Wolfgang Puck does the concession food at the Newseum.  There were quite a few stations to choose from, including a big salad bar, which is kind of unusual in this type of facility.  It was pretty decent food, if pricey. 

CCinNJ

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sun, 06/16/13 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                        If you were inclined to do so...YOU could easily take the Bay by storm with batches of "Bonuts" ...

love2bake

• Location: SFBay Area, CA
                                                          Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sun, 06/16/13 12:14 PM (permalink)
                                                          If I had someone to do that with, I'd definitely look into it!

ChiTownDiner

Re:Mission Im-pie-sible, 2013 Edition Sun, 06/16/13 1:18 PM (permalink)
                                                            The higher proportion of green bugs, the greener the key lime pie!  Just compare colors on Davidd's picture! 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 1234 > | Showing page 3 of 4, messages 61 to 90 of 103

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com