The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh!

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44
buffetbuster

Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:00 AM (permalink)
A few weeks ago, my girlfriend and I were driving on Rte. 51 south of Pittsburgh, only to spot a Wintzell's Oyster House.  Imagine my surprise!  Looking at their website, this appears to be the only location outside of Alabama.  No idea why they chose the South Hills of Pittsburgh, but I am glad it is here.  It is very close to where Mariton takes classes at CCAC, so we are meeting there for dinner tomorrow night.  Although I accept the reality that it couldn't possibly be as good as the original location in Mobile, it will be nice to be able to get West Indies Salad anytime I get a hankering.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:13 AM (permalink)
    Seriously? Holy Moley!

Let me know if they have Abita Oyster Stout.
    <message edited by Michael Hoffman on Mon, 06/10/13 10:14 AM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6246
      Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:17 AM (permalink)
      YIPPEE!!!!!!  Now there's another decent seafood place other than Wholey's!  We'll be in the Burgh next week.....I think I can persuade MH to stop!

buffetbuster

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:26 AM (permalink)
        I will ask about the stout and give a full report back on our visit Wednesday. 

We were downtown yesterday afternoon and stopped in at Wholey's for some fish sandwiches to go.  Absolutely nothing better! 

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
          Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:28 AM (permalink)
          Thanks for this BB.

lleechef

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:40 AM (permalink)
            Yep, you cannot beat the fish sandwich at Wholey's.  But OYSTERS, OYSTERS AND MORE OYSTERS!!!  Sheesh, we'll be in Pittsburgh every week now!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
              Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:41 AM (permalink)
              I didn't make it this year but in some of the pics I saw and reports I read online, Wintzell's was at the Big Apple BBQ Block Party in NYC this past weekend.

buffetbuster

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:48 AM (permalink)
                billyboy-
                I also saw that the great Skylight Inn was also in NYC over the weekend, participating in some kind of bbq cookoff.  You didn't happen to make it to that, did you?  What an opportunity that would have been!

billyboy

• Total Posts: 2363
                  Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 11:13 AM (permalink)
                  Nope.  Bummed that I couldn't make it as I knew that Skylight Inn was going to be there but it just wasn't in the cards this year!  

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
                    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                    Not so much a competition but a block party.  There will be a similar event in Denver in August.

http://www.bigbbqblockparty.org/

A recap of the NYC event can be found here.  Be sure to take the link to the slideshow.

http://newyork.seriouseat...l?ref=pop_serious_eats

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3588
                      Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                      BB, you lucky boy! Have a dozen for me!

EdSails

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 1:49 PM (permalink)
                        BB, you lucky boy! Have a dozen for me!

lleechef

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 4:35 PM (permalink)
                          It didn't take much coaxing to get MH to see things my way......Wintzell's for dinner next Thursday and fish sandwiches at Wholey's on Friday!
                          Ed
                          I'll gladly eat a dozen or two or three for you!

Michael Hoffman

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 4:50 PM (permalink)
                            lleechef

It didn't take much coaxing to get MH to see things my way......Wintzell's for dinner next Thursday and fish sandwiches at Wholey's on Friday!
                            Ed

See if you can get Ed to pay for 'em.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
                              Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:08 PM (permalink)
                              Do the Oysters come from the Allegheny, Monongahela or the Ohio????
                              Or maybe upstream from the Clarion???

Michael Hoffman

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:15 PM (permalink)
                                The Youghiogheny.

Sundancer7

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 10:53 PM (permalink)
                                  Foodbme

I think you are messing with us as I am sure that oysters are salt water shellfish.  I am sure that you knew that.

Paul E. Smith
                                  Knoxville, TN

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                                    Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Mon, 06/10/13 11:05 PM (permalink)
                                    Lawd GAWD!.....I was in the Mobile place............um..........decades (and decades!) ago.  Now I can drive only 6 hours to taste that marvelous oyster sampler!

EdSails

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/11/13 2:13 AM (permalink)
                                      They take S&H Green Stamps, don't they?

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                                        • Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/11/13 4:09 PM (permalink)
                                        Sundancer7

Foodbme

I think you are messing with us as I am sure that oysters are salt water shellfish.  I am sure that you knew that.

Paul E. Smith
                                        Knoxville, TN

So they will have to change the name to Wintzell's Mussel House instead. 

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                          Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/11/13 7:31 PM (permalink)
                                          Michael Hoffman

The Youghiogheny.

Ah, the Yough!  A minor stream for Western PA that carries more water than all three forks of the Trinity here in DFW.

My grandfather (1900 - 1978) told me that early in the 20th. Century the B&O started bringing "fresh" shellfish on ice to the 'Burgh from the port of Baltimore. 

Today, with flight, they could be from anywhere.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3706
                                            Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/11/13 7:36 PM (permalink)
                                            lleechef

Ed

Hey, if you go to a Bucs game don't forget your promise to try Augustine's Pizza at PNC Park!

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
                                              Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Wed, 06/12/13 11:44 PM (permalink)
                                              CajunKing

Sundancer7

Foodbme

Paul E. Smith
                                              Knoxville, TN

So they will have to change the name to Wintzell's Mussel House instead. 

I'm from Elk County, PA and there's a good chance Wintzells could be importing Mountain Oysters from up there. There's about 60,000 people in Elk County and over 100,000 Deer, not to mention Elk. So maybe they're Buck Oysters!!!

buffetbuster

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/18/13 8:19 AM (permalink)
                                                My girlfriend Mariton and I did eat at the new Wintzell's in the South Hills of Pittsburgh last Tuesday night.  She is taking classes at nearby CCAC, which made it very convenient for her.  I got there first, around 9:00PM.  The place was mostly empty and the bored bartender asked me to come sit in his section.  Since I wanted to watch the Pirates game and there was a big tv right there, it was an easy choice.

Once Mariton arrived, we started the ordering.  First up was a dozen freshly shucked oysters.  The bartender Ramon was also the shucker and here he is in action. 

We were told that these oysters were from the St. James River in Virginia and we had no idea they had oysters there. 

Mariton said they were a little on the sweet side and thoroughly enjoyed them.

I am not much of an oyster guy, but I was happy to order and eat some of the other LA (Lower Alabama) and Wintzell's favorites.  First up, was the deep fried crab claws,

which Mariton learned to love during our trip to Mobile on this year's Glee Club gathering.  When the woman from the kitchen brought them to us, she said that this was the first time she had seen the crab claws ordered fried, as all the previous customers had them sauteed.  Sauteed?!?  Oh, you wacky yinzers!  There also wasn't any dipping sauce for the claws, but they were happy to bring a container of remoulade sauce.  The crab claws were thick, meaty and every bit as good as the ones we had in Mobile earlier in the year.

My personal favorite Wintzell's dish is the West Indies Salad (crabmeat and onion marinated in oil and vinegar).  While in Mobile in March, I ordered the dish five times in three different restaurants and was disappointed how watered down it was.  What we were served

was a much better version.  The crab meat certainly wasn't as fresh as what you would get closer to the gulf, but at least I didn't need a colander.  BTW, did you notice what was missing in the WIS photo?  No crackers!   Once we got our crackers and started to eat it, both Ramon and the waitress watched us, saying we were the first ones they had seen to eat it this way.

After splitting three appetizers, we didn't have the room for an entree each, so Mariton and I decided to share the oyster sampler. 

On this platter, you will find four each of grilled oysters, Oysters Bienville, Oysters Rockefeller and Oysters Monterey.  The Monterey, with the jalapenos, bacon and cheese were my favorite, while Mariton happily enjoyed them all.

Since this is a Wintzell's, they had the usual small signs covering every bit of wall space, each one with a funny witticism from restaurant owner Oliver Wintzell. 

The one thing that struck me as different (but understandable) was seeing the walls also have Pittsburgh sports memorabilia.

Needless to say, we were very happy with our food and the entire experience.  Pittsburgh has a serious dearth of good seafood restaurants and even though this place is a good 45 minute drive from me, without traffic, we will be returning.  Often!

I believe Michael Hoffman and lleechef are eating here on Thursday.  Looking forward to hearing about their dinner.
                                                <message edited by buffetbuster on Tue, 06/18/13 10:22 AM>

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7399
                                                  • Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                                  Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/18/13 8:25 AM (permalink)
                                                  buffetbuster,

Glad to hear that the Pittsburgh location of Wintzell's can hold it's own.
                                                  You ordered my favorites, the oyster sampler & the West Indies Salad, the only thing missing is gumbo.

As good as it looks, unfortunately Wintzell's won't be on our list when we visit you in Pittsburgh in August

lleechef

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Tue, 06/18/13 2:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    Sounds good!  We are looking forward to Thursday night!!

lleechef

Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Fri, 06/21/13 7:24 PM (permalink)
                                                      We went to Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh last night.  The food was great but the company was the best part as we had the pleasure of dining with buffetbuster and Mariton.  I started with a dozen on the half-shell.  Apparently the folks in the Burgh have learned "new math" because I had 15 oysters on my plate!!  MH started with the West Indies salad which was delicious.  Then we split a cup of gumbo which made us feel like we were in New Orleans, it was that good.  For the main course we each had the Oyster Sampler......4 Rockefeller, 4 Bienville, 4 Monterey and 4 grilled.  Terrific!!! 
                                                      We were all raving about Wintzell's in Mobile to the waitress and explaining why we were so thrilled to find them in the Pgh. area.  Then the manager came over and we continued to talk about how much we enjoyed everything.  Then.......the owner came to our table.  We talked again about how much we like this restaurant.  He offered to buy us a round of drinks!
                                                      The food was great, the company was excellent and the folks at Wintzell's served up good old fashioned southern hospitality.......Pittsburgh style. 

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1500
                                                        • Location: west chester, PA
                                                        Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Fri, 06/21/13 10:45 PM (permalink)
                                                        AW.......wish I could have been there!...but it's a 6 hr drive. Those oysters are almost as good as my beloved fried clams.

BTW...what was in the West Indies Salad?............Conch? ( another fav)

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Sat, 06/22/13 10:25 AM (permalink)
                                                          West Indies salad is lump crab with diced onion, mixed with a marinade of oil and vinegar.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
                                                            • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Wintzell's Oyster House in Pittsburgh! Sat, 06/22/13 10:39 AM (permalink)
                                                            Thanks for giving us the really good news about the new Wintzells. The photo of the Sampler is the best shot of that dish I have seen og the many that have been posted here over the years.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 44

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com