The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Que & Stew of the Month (& Crappy Brit kitchens, too)

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 132
MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 9:37 AM (permalink)
Davebassman

MetroplexJim

I absolutelythis thread.

Thank you so very much.

I'm with MetroplexJim!
I grew up in Tidewater Va. and started my college education in Eastern NC. (Chowan College in Murfreesboro). Grew up with a taste for eastern NC barbeque. Don't have much occasion to get down to NC these days, so it's great to read about all of these barbeque "jonts"!
Thanks!

Two tips for the E.C.-starved residents of NOVA:

1)  Harris-Teeter carries Brookwood Farm products.  They make both chopped E.C. pork 'cue and E.C. 'style' pulled pork.  They also carry Scotts Barbecue Sauce.

2)  The Weenie Beenie in Arlington (Shirlington Rd. & Four Mile Run Dr. just off 395) serves Brookwood's chopped (real deal) version.  It is very tasty!  I order mine plain (don't care for their slaw) and squirt a little Scott's on it.  I wash it down with Mountain Dew, no ice.  (We still keep a place in McLean and that sandwich is an itch I have to scratch as soon as I get to IAD or DCA). 

Their wholesaler for this product is Schenck's out of Winchester.  Family owned, I'm sure Schenck's would tell you who else in NOVA buys the chopped product.

Let me know what you think.

Edit:  here's the product info from Schenck's.  They sell it in open cases; might be worth a trip out Rt. 7 !  Get some Scott's at H-T and throw a party!

<message edited by MetroplexJim on Thu, 10/17/13 9:50 AM>

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
    Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 9:51 AM (permalink)
    I can vouch for the Brookwood Farm products. They operate a restaurant in the RDU airport which reheats their barbecue then serves it. I thought it was very good when I tried it.

JRPfeff

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 10:01 AM (permalink)
      Pics now, report later...  in progress... complete.

October 2013 - B's Barbecue, Greenville

I immediately liked the look of B's Barbecue when we pulled up. It is in an old gas station building and the old pump island remains in front of the building. B's is on the NCBS Historic Barbecue Trail and featured in Our State, but has not been reviewed yet at Roadfood.com.

The patron in the above photo was ordering from their take-out window when he realized they had indoor seating.

I got a look at their smoke pit as they Pit Masters were leaving for the day. It is located in what appears to be an old shed used for auto service.

We ordered one pork platter to split 4-ways. The pork was excellent, smoky & tasty, and you can tell they put love into the picking and chopping of the meat. It was probably as good as our #1 choice for the day, but we were so full that judging was difficult. I added B's spicy vinegar sauce to the slaw and really enjoyed it that way. We did not care for the cornbread sticks.      

As we were eating, the front door burst open and several young men entered one after another - almost like watching a clown car - a total of nine were in their group. They immediately ordered 9 pork sandwiches. When PieDiva went up to refill her tea, one of the group bragged that this was their second of five BBQ stops for the day. PieDiva nonchalantly mentioned that this was our fourth lunch so far. They were duly impressed, even asking buffetbuster if we were professionals. Not quite, and these guys were not exactly amateurs themselves. They rented a chauffeur-driven motorcoach for their 2-day trip from Virginia Beach into the heart of Carolina Barbecue Country. 

After the other group ordered, the staff at B's promptly put up their CLOSED - OUT OF BARBECUE sign.

P.S. - That is buffetbuster's delightful girlfriend Mariton, not one of the bus riders.
      <message edited by JRPfeff on Fri, 10/18/13 8:29 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 10:16 AM (permalink)
        JRPfeff

I can vouch for the Brookwood Farm products. They operate a restaurant in the RDU airport which reheats their barbecue then serves it. I thought it was very good when I tried it.

Unfortunately, here in Texas all one can get at the groceries is the over-sauced, sickenly sweet Lloyd's/Jack Daniels-type product. 

The only decent pre-made 'cue i've gotten down here is the Kirkwood-brand unsauced pulled pork at Costco.

So, even if you have been 'put-off' by grocery store 'cue, give Brookwood Farm a try.

Davebassman

• Total Posts: 116
          Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 11:11 AM (permalink)
          MetroplexJim

Davebassman

MetroplexJim

I absolutelythis thread.

Thank you so very much.

I'm with MetroplexJim!
          I grew up in Tidewater Va. and started my college education in Eastern NC. (Chowan College in Murfreesboro). Grew up with a taste for eastern NC barbeque. Don't have much occasion to get down to NC these days, so it's great to read about all of these barbeque "jonts"!
          Thanks!

Two tips for the E.C.-starved residents of NOVA:

1)  Harris-Teeter carries Brookwood Farm products.  They make both chopped E.C. pork 'cue and E.C. 'style' pulled pork.  They also carry Scotts Barbecue Sauce.

2)  The Weenie Beenie in Arlington (Shirlington Rd. & Four Mile Run Dr. just off 395) serves Brookwood's chopped (real deal) version.  It is very tasty!  I order mine plain (don't care for their slaw) and squirt a little Scott's on it.  I wash it down with Mountain Dew, no ice.  (We still keep a place in McLean and that sandwich is an itch I have to scratch as soon as I get to IAD or DCA). 

Their wholesaler for this product is Schenck's out of Winchester.  Family owned, I'm sure Schenck's would tell you who else in NOVA buys the chopped product.

Let me know what you think.

Edit:  here's the product info from Schenck's.  They sell it in open cases; might be worth a trip out Rt. 7 !  Get some Scott's at H-T and throw a party!

The Harris Teeter near me (Reston) no longer carries the Brookwood Farms barbeque, but they do still carry Scotts Sauce. My current strategy is to buy chopped pork (no sauce) from Rocklands Barbeque and add the Scotts when I get home.
          I'll have to stop by the Weenie Beenie one day for lunch. It's not far from where I work.

MetroplexJim

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 11:27 AM (permalink)
            Here in Texas I do the same thing you do with Rocklands - order pulled pork, no sauce; then, I add the Scotts.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4715
              Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 11:38 AM (permalink)
              JRPfeff

I got a look at their smoke pit, as they Pit Masters were leaving for the day. It is located in what appear to be an old shed used for auto service.

It almost looks like it could've been a parts washer at one time.

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
                Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 11:41 AM (permalink)
                The thing that I loved at Bum's was the fried chicken. We got it right out of the skillet after a bit of a wait and it was totally worth it. Maybe the best I've ever had. I don't even remember the pork so it must not have been that great. I do remember how disappointed I was with the skylight. I loved the flavor and smokiness of the pork but I could not stand the hard pieces of skin that they chop into the meat. I just found them off putting. And I agree about the corn bread, no flavor but rancid tasting oil.

MetroplexJim

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 12:20 PM (permalink)
                  ScreamingChicken

It almost looks like it could've been a parts washer at one time.

That, kind sir, is a real deal whole hog smoker.
                  It replicates, above-ground, the pit which the Natives taught us Euros to use.

And yes, it does look quite different from those rotating-rack gizmos that are used to smoke brisket, ribs, chicken, etc. 

JRPfeff

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 4:43 PM (permalink)

October 2013 - Jack Cobb and Son Barbecue Place, Farmville

Jack Cobb & Son was the overall favorite of the four Eastern Carolina barbecue pits we tried last Saturday. I knew we had to stop there after reading about Jack Cobb's at the NCBS Historic Barbecue Trail website.
                    In the early 1940’s Jack Cobb worked at A. C. Monk Tobacco Factory in Farmville, N. C. and had a little barbecue business on the side. He would cook all night and sell his barbecue to his fellow workers for lunch (65 cents per plate). The word spread around the community about Jack’s good ‘cue and white citizens wanted to buy Jack’s barbecue but would not come to Jack’s place to get it. Ever the entrepreneur Jack took his ‘cue to a white friend’s home and this man sold Jack’s barbecue for him.

The pork was outstanding, especially with the slaw and sauce, and the barbecue potatoes were an interesting surprise. Three of the four on our tour chose Cobb's pork as our favorite, it was moist with light smoke and with the flavor of their Eastern Carolina sauce.

The hush puppies at Jack Cobb's might be the best we've ever had. They were sweet with a crunchy exterior and were soft on the inside. Just perfect. The addition of these hush puppies may have pushed Jack Cobb's to the top of favorites on the tour.  

We ordered the Turkey Sandwich not knowing what we were getting.  It turned out to be chopped and seasoned just like their pork. This is a nice alternative for the pork-adverse or if you have the mistaken idea that barbecue pork is not good for you. 

Jack Cobb's serves a carryout clientele, so there was no seating area. We asked and were allowed to eat at the service counter. While at the counter we learned that they cook whole hogs and only offer the ribs that come from the hogs they use. Someone bought the last rack as we ate our pork platters.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Sat, 10/19/13 9:46 AM>

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
                      • Roadfood Insider
                      Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 5:14 PM (permalink)
                      Outstanding descriptions and Photos...Keep it coming, Please.

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6093
                        Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 5:20 PM (permalink)
                        JRP, outstanding report, pics, etc. Great to see some of my North Carolina competition's fare!
                        Tom

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 6:17 PM (permalink)
                          Mighty Fine looking que - Even if you ad to share it with BB.

Jack Cobb + looks like some mighty fine que and turkey is my favorite smoked meat (but hey almost any smoked meat is usually good)

mikeam

• Total Posts: 192
                            Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 6:24 PM (permalink)
                            Great thread. Thanks!

mikeam

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 6:25 PM (permalink)
                              Try Ken's Grill in LaGrange, NC. Very good BBQ. I think they only do BBQ on Wednesdays and Saturdays. They do a great burger also.

mikeam

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Thu, 10/17/13 6:26 PM (permalink)
                                Moore's in New Bern has good BBQ also. Very good seafood also.

JRPfeff

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Fri, 10/18/13 8:00 PM (permalink)

September 2013 - We Hit the Wall

Pie Diva and I ate at seven (7) (VII) different North Carolina barbecue restaurants over two weekends in late August. Following that we had little desire to go out for barbecue again in September. I did find the time to smoke two pork butts on a trip home to Wisconsin. I was going to take pictures and pretend that it was from a Carolina BBQ joint, but when I chopped off the tip of my finger that idea went away.

The photo above is of my course-chopped butt & Piedmont-style slaw and Pie Diva's hush puppies & Brunswick Stew. Sorry folks, this is the best barbecue we've had on our Cue & Stew quest.

Pie Diva also makes pies.

<message edited by JRPfeff on Fri, 10/18/13 8:12 PM>

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                    Re:Que & Stew of the Month Fri, 10/18/13 9:19 PM (permalink)
                                    Ok I am curious what flavor pie????

Diva - It is lookin AWESOME

Pie Diva

• Total Posts: 56
                                      Re:Que & Stew of the Month Fri, 10/18/13 9:31 PM (permalink)
                                      I don't know if I am going to burst your bubble or not, but here goes. That was not a pie I made for the Q & Stew meal. This is actually a savory tomato pie I made when we had some wonderful tomatoes harvested from our garden a few weeks earlier. Unfortunately Jim sliced off the tip of his finger before he got a picture of the desserts I made( an apple cider pie and a concord grape tart) and we were off to urgent care.

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                        Re:Que & Stew of the Month Fri, 10/18/13 9:34 PM (permalink)
                                        Ohhh I love cider pie

I have never had luck making a concord grape pie, but did purchase one at the local 4H / County Fair for $175 and it was GOOOOOOD

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                                          Re:Que & Stew of the Month Fri, 10/18/13 10:42 PM (permalink)
                                          Pie Diva
                                          Unfortunately Jim sliced off the tip of his finger before he got a picture of the desserts I made...and we were off to urgent care.
                                          Musta been his picture takin' finger.  Hope he's okay to travel on Sunday.

Buddy

Pie Diva

• Total Posts: 56
                                            Re:Que & Stew of the Month Fri, 10/18/13 11:38 PM (permalink)
                                            CajunKing

Ohhh I love cider pie

I have never had luck making a concord grape pie, but did purchase one at the local 4H / County Fair for $175 and it was GOOOOOOD

I would never charge more than $150 for most pies.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9547
                                              Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sat, 10/19/13 1:12 AM (permalink)
                                              Pie Diva

CajunKing

Ohhh I love cider pie I have never had luck making a concord grape pie, but did purchase one at the local 4H / County Fair for $175 and it was GOOOOOOD

It was a 4-H pie.
                                              Price of the pie - $175
                                              Look & Smile on the Kids Face - Priceless!

CajunKing

• Roadfood Insider
                                                Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sat, 10/19/13 3:52 PM (permalink)
                                                Pie Diva

CajunKing

Ohhh I love cider pie

It was auction style and like foodbme said the look on the little girl's face was priceless.
                                                I did end up buying a steer later that night too for about $4500.    that kids face was PRICELESS.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sat, 10/19/13 4:22 PM (permalink)
                                                  JRPfeff

Did you ask about the significance of the Dell Curry poster?

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                    Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sat, 10/19/13 4:30 PM (permalink)
                                                    SC, Is he a Tarheel? The entire wall was plastered with UNC posters and calendars.

ScreamingChicken

Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sat, 10/19/13 4:42 PM (permalink)
                                                      No, and neither are his 2 sons.  In fact, his younger son is a Duke grad, which would seem to make the entire Curry family unwelcome in Tarheel country!

MetroplexJim

• Location: McKinney, TX
                                                        Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sun, 10/20/13 9:39 AM (permalink)
                                                        O.K., here's the real deal:

MetroplexJim

• Location: McKinney, TX
                                                          Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sun, 10/20/13 9:51 AM (permalink)
                                                          And here's a short presentation re: "East vs. West". 

I happen to think that East beats West like a rented mule.  But, there are some misguided, misinformed folk that would disagree.

In any case:
                                                          Please note that the pits are not repurposed "parts washers"!

JRPfeff

• Location: Pewaukee, WI & Fuquay-Varina, NC
                                                            Re:Que & Stew of the Month Sun, 10/20/13 9:53 AM (permalink)
                                                            Sweet!

At the 3:30 mark in the Wilber's video you'll see some jars of peanuts. They are really good - blister fried.  The nuts are prepared by a local church as a fundraiser.
                                                            <message edited by JRPfeff on Sun, 10/20/13 9:55 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 132

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com