Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

America's 20 Best Steakhouses

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35
deeoh01

• Total Posts: 62
Re:America's 20 Best Steakhouses Fri, 02/7/14 1:00 PM (permalink)
I'd say St. Elmo is a great experience, but far from a great steak. It is probably the best Choice steak in town, although you'll be paying Prime prices for it.

hanvi

• Total Posts: 10
    Re:America's 20 Best Steakhouses Fri, 02/14/14 5:51 PM (permalink)
    For those who have been to the steakhouses on the list, are they actually that much better than say a Ruth Chris?

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
      Re:America's 20 Best Steakhouses Fri, 02/14/14 6:19 PM (permalink)
      hanvi - I think the Top 5 or so are a cut above the chain steakhouses, but I thought the steaks at Ruth's Chris are as good or better than some of the lower ranked places on that list.

SBXSTR

• Total Posts: 52
        Re:America's 20 Best Steakhouses Sat, 02/15/14 7:41 PM (permalink)
        hanvi

For those who have been to the steakhouses on the list, are they actually that much better than say a Ruth Chris?

No. I've eaten recently at Peter Luger's, and not too much longer ago at Smith & Wollensky (not on the list but considered not far behind PL's). A week after PL's, I had dinner at Ruth's Chris in Newington, CT. The medium rare comparison was RC's strip and the strip side of PL's porterhouse. RC's was superior on all counts: juicier, more tender, tastier. It didn't hurt that RC's was served hotter and bathed in melted butter. I had dreamed of gong to Luger's for years and this was a big disappointment for me. I'd go again at a heartbeat, but ... I'd really like to try Keen's in NYC, but the stars would have to align to make it happen. B'Day 65 is coming up in a few weeks and it will be back to Ruth's Chris. Maybe PL's is just too popular - we went on a Saturday at 3PM and they were full - maybe not that much Prime to go around - and maybe they reserve the better cuts for dinner time.

Davidsanders

Re:America's 20 Best Steakhouses Sat, 03/29/14 12:31 PM (permalink)
          When I played in the Milwaukee Symphony in 1971-72 I had my first introduction to Karl Ratzsch,s with a 32 ounce (according to the waiter) porterhouse. The when I joined the Chicago Symphony in 1974 the orchestra had a series of 10 concerts in Milwaukee. There were two buses from the train station; one to the hall the other to Ratzsch's. That concert series ended in 1986 or so, but for those 12 plus years I probably went to Ratzsch's 7 or 8 times a year. I loved it. I used to get the Wiener schnitzel fairly regularly, and occasionally the porterhouse. I see on their menu they don't even offer that any longer. Times have changed.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 35 of 35

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com