The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

NEW INFO - Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - APRIL 12, 2014

Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 15 of 23, messages 421 to 450 of 682
Bonk

• Total Posts: 505
Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Tue, 02/4/14 8:53 PM (permalink)
I write for WCPO's Web site (albeit sports). Let me see if my editor has any interest.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
    Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 02/5/14 10:01 AM (permalink)
    soozycue520

Terry's Turf club is now closed on Monday & Tuesday. They are open for lunch and dinner Wednesday through Sunday.

Are they now handicap accessible?

JRPfeff

• Total Posts: 2368
      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 02/5/14 7:53 PM (permalink)
      I am sorry to say that we are going to be the Cin-City 5-Way's first cancellations.

Reasons? You want reasons? I've got your Top 10, right here.

10.          Not enough national fast-food chains on the tour.
      9.            I’m terrified of my nemesis.
      8.            They tore down El Rancho Rankin? To hell with that. I’m staying home.
      7.            WTH? Drive all the way to Ohio for Greek meat sauce?
      6.            Not my weekend to wear the big boy pants.
      5.            Moving to house in NC & need to move that weekend.
      4.            I’m not letting Pie Diva get that near to buffetbuster ever again.
      3.            Cin-City 5-Way. That sounds like code for a morally bankrupt activity.
      2.            Spaghetti. Meat sauce.  Cheese. Beans. Onions. Are you ****ing me?
      1.            Preparation for Smoke Day/Pie Day on May 24 takes a lot of time and effort.

We're holding out hope that we can still make it, but those 10 reasons are an awful lot to overcome.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17833
        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 02/5/14 8:08 PM (permalink)
        That's a shame. We'll miss seeing you there. We'll think good thoughts about you making it.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6230
          Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 02/5/14 11:01 PM (permalink)
          JRPfeff

I am sorry to say that we are going to be the Cin-City 5-Way's first cancellations.

Reasons? You want reasons? I've got your Top 10, right here.

10.          Not enough national fast-food chains on the tour.
          9.            I’m terrified of my nemesis.
          8.            They tore down El Rancho Rankin? To hell with that. I’m staying home.
          7.            WTH? Drive all the way to Ohio for Greek meat sauce?
          6.            Not my weekend to wear the big boy pants.
          5.            Moving to house in NC & need to move that weekend.
          4.            I’m not letting Pie Diva get that near to buffetbuster ever again.
          3.            Cin-City 5-Way. That sounds like code for a morally bankrupt activity.
          2.            Spaghetti. Meat sauce.  Cheese. Beans. Onions. Are you ****ing me?
          1.            Preparation for Smoke Day/Pie Day on May 24 takes a lot of time and effort.

We're holding out hope that we can still make it, but those 10 reasons are an awful lot to overcome.

Nice imitation of Letterman but I'm not buying it.  You two get your butts there.  I'm not eating over-cooked spaghetti with Greek meat sauce, cheese, beans, onions, etc. either!  Let's have a pie throwdown.  That will get everybody's attention!

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
            • Roadfood Insider
            Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Fri, 02/14/14 2:16 AM (permalink)
            We need to plan a Friday night fish fry. What goes on at a Fish fry other than eating fried fish? I've never been to one. Beer, sides, Bingo?

Michael Hoffman

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Fri, 02/14/14 8:51 AM (permalink)
              At my favorite fish frys we sit around drinking beer, talking about that day's fishing and the fishing we're going to be doing the next day.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4074
                Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Fri, 02/14/14 2:29 PM (permalink)
                I'm hoping to make a stop at some point at Alabama Fish Bar.  It's not a sit down, AYCE place, but they do serve some pretty darned good fish.

There are some caveats.  As mentioned above, they are strictly carry-out.  Past visits have involved dining "ala trunk".  Which brings me to the next caveat; they are located in a less than desirable neighborhood.  That said, their clientele is decidedly mixed in all ways, race, economic strata, ethnicity, etc.

I've been approached by some locals, looking for a hand out, which has prompted a unique and easy solution, at least for me.  One portion at Alabama Fish Bar is more than one person can reasonably eat in one sitting.  While I refuse to give money, I have no problem sharing a piece of fish or two with a needy street person.  This usually satisfies their request or it sends them on their way.  Either option works for me.

As we get closer to this event, it might be helpful to share our thoughts on schedules and where we'd like to visit on the non "crawl" days.  As of now, my plan is to come in either late Thursday or afternoon Friday, and stay through late afternoon/evening Sunday.  It sounds like stops at Terry's Turf Club and the Pine Club in Dayton are also in the works at various points in the weekend.

Buddy

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Fri, 02/14/14 10:54 PM (permalink)
                  My plan is Cincy by 1600 Friday, hopefully a fish fry and Grater's that night. Crawl on Saturday and Grater's that night. Sunday Breakfast somewhere and a stop at Izzy's for some corned beef and pastrami on my way out of town.
                  <message edited by MikeS. on Sat, 02/15/14 10:38 PM>

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sat, 02/15/14 3:34 AM (permalink)
                    Visits to Graeter's and Aglamesis Bros. (Cincinnati's other "not-quite-as-famous" ice cream joint--that some might argue is better than Graeter's) are definitely part of the plan.  Not so interested in a Fish Fry as they are readily available in our neck of the woods.  Not familiar with Izzie's, but good Corned Beef and Pastrami are always welcome.

Buddy

Big_g

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sat, 02/15/14 7:15 AM (permalink)
                      If all works well....I'll be in Cincy Thursday afternoon/evening and heading back to TN on Sunday....in between that that time frame I'm open for dang near anything

MikeS.

• Roadfood Insider
                        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sat, 02/15/14 10:33 PM (permalink)
                        Big_g, I see your're near my favorite interstate split. Too many times I've come out of the flying J got into the left lane forgetting about the split and was "forced" onto I-75 instead of 40. You'd think after the 1st time I would have learned... Nope not me. I think it's been 2x with another really close call. I go past there at least once a year. 3x in 2012.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                          Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 02/16/14 1:30 PM (permalink)
                          Mike-fish fries are the bomb-at least here! And Buddy-why not give it a try in another city?

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7385
                            • Roadfood Insider
                            Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 02/16/14 1:39 PM (permalink)
                            BuddyRoadhouse

Visits to Graeter's and Aglamesis Bros. (Cincinnati's other "not-quite-as-famous" ice cream joint--that some might argue is better than Graeter's) are definitely part of the plan.  Not so interested in a Fish Fry as they are readily available in our neck of the woods.  Not familiar with Izzie's, but good Corned Beef and Pastrami are always welcome.

Buddy

Whoa.....Pot calling kettle black.  Didn't you criticize me when I used the same reasoning about not wanting to do Polish food in Chicago????

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 02/16/14 2:19 PM (permalink)
                              I'm not sure.  What did I say?

If I did gently chide you (I try not to "criticize" my friends--too much), I can tell you the difference in my reasoning: Chicago is home to more Poles than any city outside Warsaw. Their culture and cuisine is integral to Chicago's history and character--qualities which I believe are part of your local dining ethic.

I may be ignorant or out of the loop, but I'm not aware of any significant Fish Fry culture in Cincinnati.  If I'm wrong, then maybe a Fish Fry would be an important addition to our extracurricular activities.  Although, a visit to Alabama Fish Bar could satisfy those needs just as well--and it's character and quality make it a Roadfood worthy destination.

Buddy

Big_g

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 02/16/14 2:43 PM (permalink)
                                MikeS.

Big_g, I see your're near my favorite interstate split. Too many times I've come out of the flying J got into the left lane forgetting about the split and was "forced" onto I-75 instead of 40. You'd think after the 1st time I would have learned... Nope not me. I think it's been 2x with another really close call. I go past there at least once a year. 3x in 2012.

Yes'sir....I have found myself inadvertently headed to Nashville a couple of times too....so I tend to use  US-11 going to and from KnoxVegas ;)

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7385
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 02/16/14 3:28 PM (permalink)
                                  BuddyRoadhouse

I'm not sure.  What did I say?

If I did gently chide you (I try not to "criticize" my friends--too much), I can tell you the difference in my reasoning: Chicago is home to more Poles than any city outside Warsaw. Their culture and cuisine is integral to Chicago's history and character--qualities which I believe are part of your local dining ethic.

I may be ignorant or out of the loop, but I'm not aware of any significant Fish Fry culture in Cincinnati.  If I'm wrong, then maybe a Fish Fry would be an important addition to our extracurricular activities.  Although, a visit to Alabama Fish Bar could satisfy those needs just as well--and it's character and quality make it a Roadfood worthy destination.

Buddy

And using that analogy I still don't undertand what all  the big deal is about burgers in LA and Southern California are when I can tie a blindfold around me, walk in any direction and find multitudes of burger joints here in Rhode Island that will blow them all away.

BuddyRoadhouse

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Sun, 02/16/14 4:00 PM (permalink)
                                    Having only had one burger (In N Out, meh) to speak of in California, and having never even set foot in Rhode Island, I am not qualified to judge, so won't.  No argument.  Carry on.

Buddy

icecreamchick

• Total Posts: 99
                                      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 1:37 AM (permalink)
                                      I will be coming with Ralph. However, since I'm not a big chili person, I may sit at Graeter's each day. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing everyone! 

CNW

• Total Posts: 182
                                        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 2:01 AM (permalink)
                                        I'm driving in Thursday night. On Friday, I am going to stop by the addresses that we used to live at in order to take some pictures. Other then that I have no other plans so I'm open to almost anything.

I need some help choosing what route to take. It looks like there are three main routes between St. Louis and Cincinnati. The last time I was east of St. Louis in a car was 1975, however my parents travel east quite often. They recommend I-64 through Louisville instead of I-70 through Indianapolis because the traffic is lighter and there are fewer speed traps. Then there is US-50 between the two but I don't know anyone who has driven it. So, if you are familiar with any of the proposed routes and taking into account these three criteria 1. Traffic 2. Time and 3. Roadfood along the way please give me the pros and cons of each route.

Thanks

Chris

RKB

• Total Posts: 168
                                          Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                          US 50, at least the Indiana portion (can't speak for IL since I have not driven it), would likely take the longest due to the reduced speed limits and numerous small towns along the route, but it a very scenic drive.
                                          I-70 has heavy traffic. I-64 would likely be better in that regard. Time-wise, I doubt that there would be a large difference between the two.
                                          <message edited by RKB on Mon, 02/17/14 7:34 AM>

Michael Hoffman

Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 9:24 AM (permalink)
                                            I-64 to Louisville and I-71 from Louisville to Cincinnati.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                              Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 10:41 AM (permalink)
                                              CNW

They recommend I-64 through Louisville instead of I-70 through Indianapolis because the traffic is lighter and there are fewer speed traps. Then there is US-50 between the two but I don't know anyone who has driven it. So, if you are familiar with any of the proposed routes and taking into account these three criteria 1. Traffic 2. Time and 3. Roadfood along the way please give me the pros and cons of each route.

Depending on the time of day Indianapolis might not be too bad; I've driven I-465 a number of weekday midmornings and traffic moved fairly well.  Taking I-74 east from there would allow you to stop in places like Batesville and Greensburg for a sampling of Indiana fried chicken.

I've crossed south-of-Indy Indiana on quite a few different roads and agree with RKB about the scenery and the increased travel time.  A route featuring US and Indiana highways is recommended only if you have the time to spare.

Time for Pie

• Total Posts: 50
                                                Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 3:00 PM (permalink)
                                                Several things:  First, it looks like I am out for the main portion of this event.  I now have conflicts that weekend with two events at home I'm expected to be a part of.   But since this threatens to stretch into the week before, I may be interested in some pre-weekend fooding.  I'll stay tuned to this thread to see what pops up.

Second:  As a former professional driver with dozens of St. Louis-Cincy and Cincy-St. Louis trips under my wheels, I can help CNW with his route.  The quick way is I-270, I-70, I-465, I-74.  If you catch Indy at rush hour, that could slow you down a bit, so keep that in mind.  The south route, I-64 to I-71, has less traffic but is almost always 30 minutes longer than going through Indy.  That was before the recent increase in Illinois speed limits, so your mileage may vary.  Louisville's rush isn't as bad as Indy's but you should avoid that too if you can.  Use US50 only if you want a scenic tour...huge time penalty on that route. 

Great Roadfood stop on the north route: Nimerg's Steakhouse in Effingham IL.  They have a diner side that is open 24hrs, and a more-formal restaurant that keeps shorter hours.  Good food, good prices, nice people.  Try the catfish.

Thirdly: icecreamchick: It's okay if you don't like chili...this trip is about Greek meat sauce.  Michael will explain...  ;)
                                                Edit: I forgot another reason for the north route...Skyline in Batesville. 
                                                <message edited by Time for Pie on Mon, 02/17/14 3:03 PM>

ChiBears15

• Total Posts: 70
                                                  Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 7:26 PM (permalink)
                                                  ScreamingChicken,

Can you give me the names of those fried chicken restaurants in Batesville and Greensburg that you mentioned?  Thanks in advance.

BTW, you still have the best Roadfood screenname lol.  I smile every time I see one of your posts. 

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4729
                                                    Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Mon, 02/17/14 9:37 PM (permalink)
                                                    Actually, Wagner's in Oldenburg (with Carolina Bob in 2012) and Bonaparte's Retreat in Napoleon (with CajunKing last year) are the only Batesville-area restaurants where I've actually eaten but that region is part of the "Indiana chicken trail" that CK has mentioned before; in fact, somewhere on the site is a fried chicken thread he started and if you can find it I think you'll get some good ideas.  Or if you wait a few days I'm sure he and maybe Bob will chime in with some suggestions.

I'd love to be able to participate but I already have plans, plus Mrs. Chicken and I will have spent the previous weekend in Kansas City.  Therefore, this time around I'll be unable to be eastbound and down...

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                                      Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Tue, 02/18/14 11:03 AM (permalink)
                                                      Buddy, there is indeed a significant Lenten fish fry culture in largely Catholic greater Cincinnati. To the degree that one of the local newscasts is at a different Fish Fry each Friday of Lent.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Location: Des Plaines, IL
                                                        Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Tue, 02/18/14 1:41 PM (permalink)
                                                        Thanks for the education jm.  I'm still not sure a Fish Fry is a priority for me, but at least now I know it's out there if the mood strikes.  Are there any Fish Fry restaurants or events that are of particular note?

Buddy

jmckee

• Total Posts: 1172
                                                          • Location: Batavia, OH
                                                          Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Wed, 02/19/14 10:50 AM (permalink)
                                                          BuddyRoadhouse

Thanks for the education jm.  I'm still not sure a Fish Fry is a priority for me, but at least now I know it's out there if the mood strikes.  Are there any Fish Fry restaurants or events that are of particular note?

Buddy

Let me hunt around and see which ones are considered better than the others. My parish has a good one, but I'm prejudiced.

Jack

MikeS.

• Location: FarEasternPanhandle, WV
                                                            • Roadfood Insider
                                                            Re:Cincinnati Style Chili & Coney Crawl - Fall 2013 Thu, 02/20/14 11:48 AM (permalink)
                                                            icecreamchick

I will be coming with Ralph. However, since I'm not a big chili person, I may sit at Graeter's each day. ;-)

Looking forward to seeing everyone! 

Lori I'm looking forward to seeing the both of you again.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: << < ..11121314151617181920.. > >> | Showing page 15 of 23, messages 421 to 450 of 682

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 4 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com