The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Mellow Mushroom

Davebassman

• Total Posts: 116
Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 10:09 AM (permalink)
Mellow Mushroom, an expanding national pizza restaurant chain has opened a location in my hometown, Herndon, VA. Has anyone had any positive (or negative) experiences with this chain?

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4895
    Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 11:44 AM (permalink)
    Nada in Dallas.

Run2Eat

• Total Posts: 91
      Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 11:52 AM (permalink)
      There's one in Frisco, TX  near Stonebriar Mall.. Went there on Sunday and was quite pleased, good crust and high quality toppings.. A number of their "specialty" pizzas seemed a bit busy but you can build your own as well...They have an extensive beer menu  but unfortunately I'm on the wagon until after the Milwaukee Lake Front Marathon Oct 6th. I'll be back for sure..

<message edited by Run2Eat on Tue, 09/10/13 11:55 AM>

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
        Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 12:21 PM (permalink)
        There's one in Charlottesville but it's so close to UVA I rarely go. The pizza's not bad, the wheat crust tastes good and the beer's cold. Worth a shot.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
          Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 2:53 PM (permalink)
          Had a really good meat lovers at the one in Huntsville, Al.
          I use Costco as a yard stick. As good or better, I'll be back. Below that line, forget it. I found it better than Costco.

DT

Big_g

Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 5:00 PM (permalink)
            We hit the one in Knoxville now and again...and like the white pie, and the meaty ones.

Gary

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
              Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 5:26 PM (permalink)
              There's at least one in Columbus, but with Mushroom in the name I won't be visiting.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 6:31 PM (permalink)
                Good pizza IMO.  The three best for me are:
                Gourmet White
                Olive oil and garlic base with sun-dried tomatoes, Provolone, feta and mozzarella cheeses, Roma tomatoes and onions.
                Magical Mystery Tour Pesto base with button and Portobello mushrooms, feta and mozzarella cheeses, spinach and jalapeƱos on a pesto basted crust.
                And especially the
                Holy Shiitake Pie Olive oil and garlic base, Shiitake, button and Portobello mushrooms, caramelized onions, mozzarella and Montamore cheeses. Drizzled with garlic aioli and black truffle oil. Garnished with fresh chives and shaved Parmesan.
                http://mellowmushroom.com/corpmenu 

I have been patronizing MM since about 1974.
                <message edited by Adjudicator on Tue, 09/10/13 6:48 PM>

smokestack lightning

• Total Posts: 301
                  Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/10/13 7:19 PM (permalink)
                  I ate at the branch in Savannah Georgia for teh 2 and 1/2 years I lived there. Decidedly mediocre. Decent but mediocre.

Root-Beer Man

• Total Posts: 331
                    Re:Mellow Mushroom Wed, 09/11/13 7:56 PM (permalink)
                    We've frequented the one here in Carmel, Indiana, (after having visited the one in Tuscaloosa, AL) and I must say I've always been very happy with the pizza there. We're quite fond of the Mighty Meaty and the oh, so scrumptious Kosmic Karma. We had a veggie pizza in Tuscaloosa that was really good, too. I like their pretzels for a starter. I really have nothing bad to say about them at all. We've always had a good experience there and the food's top notch.

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                      Re:Mellow Mushroom Thu, 09/12/13 2:54 PM (permalink)
                      They started here in Atlanta in the late 1970s, I believe.  I used to eat there from time to time, but haven't in many years.  There are far too many better options to bother.

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5055
                        Re:Mellow Mushroom Thu, 09/12/13 7:21 PM (permalink)
                        Heartbreaksoup

They started here in Atlanta in the late 1970s, I believe.  I used to eat there from time to time, but haven't in many years.  There are far too many better options to bother.

It was a bit earlier '70s.  You are talking about now vs. then.  I also had MM pizza in Atlanta around 1974.  Disregarding the franchises, MM corporate is outstanding.  The have withstood the test of time.

<message edited by Adjudicator on Thu, 09/12/13 7:22 PM>

Bonk

• Total Posts: 503
                          Re:Mellow Mushroom Tue, 09/24/13 7:28 PM (permalink)
                          We have one across the river from Cincinnati in Wilder, Ky.

Not bad, a little pricy.

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3704
                            Re:Mellow Mushroom Wed, 09/25/13 10:53 AM (permalink)
                            Twinwillow

Nada in Dallas.

We now have two in Collin County:  McKinney & Frisco.  Southlake now has one, too.

Here are the results of the Dallas Morning News' latest "pizza contest":

Cadillac Pizza Pub, a local place we've never tried here in McKinney came in 2nd.  It's right around the corner from Mellow Muchroom.  Guess which one the Princess and i will choose for lunch today.

Your fave, Cane Rosso, lost in the first round to the eventual winner.  On your advice we tried that last year, despite the distance.  Damn good!  But, we still prefer Olivella's across Hillcrest from SMU.
                            <message edited by MetroplexJim on Wed, 09/25/13 10:56 AM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4712
                              Re:Mellow Mushroom Wed, 09/25/13 11:45 AM (permalink)
                              MetroplexJim
                              Cadillac Pizza Pub, a local place we've never tried here in McKinney came in 2nd.  It's right around the corner from Mellow Muchroom.  Guess which one the Princess and i will choose for lunch today.
                              I think you'll get carryout from both so you can do a head-to-head comparison!

MetroplexJim

Re:Mellow Mushroom Wed, 09/25/13 3:34 PM (permalink)
                                ScreamingChicken

MetroplexJim
                                I think you'll get carryout from both so you can do a head-to-head comparison!

We went to Cadillac Pizza Pub.  Sadly, I think their almost winning the DMN's "best pizza" contest was the result of ballot-box-stuffing.

We did stop by Mellow Mushroom and ascertained that they use "a pizza stone oven".  At least they don't use a converor, so we'll check it out later. 

Davebassman

Re:Mellow Mushroom Wed, 09/25/13 4:59 PM (permalink)
                                  Finally got around to trying out the Mellow Mushroom in Herndon (VA). Seems like most of what has been posted here is pretty accurate. Ordered a pepperoni, bacon, onion and green pepper. Not bad, a cut above the national chains (Dominos, Pappa Johns, etc), but nothing to get too excited about. However, the beer selection is outstanding!
                                  Actually, a couple of local places are much better;  Mediterranean Breeze in "Old Town" Herndon and Generous George's near Dulles.
                                  <message edited by Davebassman on Wed, 09/25/13 5:01 PM>

MetroplexJim

Re:Mellow Mushroom Wed, 09/25/13 5:51 PM (permalink)
                                    Generous George lives???!!!

Fantastic!  I loved them for years before they lost their lease on their original location on Duke St., west of Old Town.  Glad to see him reincarnated in Herndon.

Davebassman

Re:Mellow Mushroom Thu, 09/26/13 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                      MetroplexJim

Generous George lives???!!!

Fantastic!  I loved them for years before they lost their lease on their original location on Duke St., west of Old Town.  Glad to see him reincarnated in Herndon.

Before they lost the lease in Alexandria, Generous George's had started franchising. The first was the location near Dulles. When the Duke St. location folded, the Dulles franchise became the ONLY location. They have the same basic menu and use the same recipes as the original. There was some talk that the original owners would try and start up again in Alexandria at a smaller location, but so far nothing has come of it. For a few years, my wife and I lived in Alexandria, walking distance from Generous George's. We were regular customers and were glad the franchise opened in Dulles.

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
                                        Re:Mellow Mushroom Sun, 09/29/13 8:27 PM (permalink)
                                        Dearfolk,
                                           I used to visit the original location of Mellow Mushroom on Spring Street in Atlanta... near Georgia Tech... When I worked at Peaches Records in 1975-6. I liked it then and I like it now, but why bother with what is now a chain when you can have Little Italy in Athens? Of course, they've built new locations in Commerce, Ga. and Auburn, Ala., so now they're technically a chain. Oh, woe is me.
                                              Wholeheartedly, Ort. Carlton in Athens, Georgia, City Of Stars.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17805
                                          Re:Mellow Mushroom Sun, 09/29/13 8:36 PM (permalink)
                                          Great to see you back Ort.

zippypinhead

• Total Posts: 8
                                            • Location: North by God Royalto, OH
                                            Re:Mellow Mushroom Fri, 10/4/13 8:15 PM (permalink)
                                            I travel a bit for work. I consider Mellow Mushroom a nice, safe bet for getting a decent meal, a couple of interesting beers and the bonus of breakfast in the morning.
                                            Love the one in Greensboro NC they seem to hire some "interesting" young people. You know, the kind that, if you saw them out 'n about, you would cross the street. But, I've found all of 'em gracious, smart and engaging.
                                            The store in Albany, GA was okay especially considering the other food options around there.
                                            I was a bit disappointed with the store in Ft. Worth, TX so won't be back... plenty of outstanding restaurants to chose from around there.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                              • No New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                              • Read Message
                                              • Post New Thread
                                              • Reply to message
                                              • Post New Poll
                                              • Submit Vote
                                              • Post reward post
                                              • Delete my own posts
                                              • Delete my own threads
                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com