The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations....

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Sun, 10/13/13 3:28 PM (permalink)
If a McDonalds or a Subway is location inside a Wal-Mart Supercenter....who owns it ???  Wal-Mart or do they fall under the local McDonalds & Subway franchise ??

Reason I ask is that last night my husband and myself were at a Wal-Mart. Standing in line we noticed a Wal-Mart employee walking into the McDonalds with a cup getting a refill of soda. As she was walking out of that McDonalds all hell broke loose. The McDonalds manager runs out of the restaurant into the store screaming at the Wal-Mart employee accusing her of "stealing soda". The store employee said she had just bought a large coke 2 hours ago and was told she could get a refill during her shift. "NO EXCUSE" says the McDonalds manager "..GET THE HELL OUT OF THE BUILDING RIGHT NOW...YOU ARE FIRED !!". The Wal-Mart employee ( a middle aged woman ) started to cry and walked out of the building. 

My husband and myself as well as everyone else in line were like "what the *** ??" . So a manager of McDonalds has the power to fire someone working for Wal-Mart ?? Wonder if its the same at Target with the Pizza Hut/Taco bell locations they have inside some of their stores ??
<message edited by cathyftr on Sun, 10/13/13 3:30 PM>

Sundancer7

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Sun, 10/13/13 5:06 PM (permalink)
    Regardless of who owns it or whatever, the behavior of the manager was inexcusable.  All that over a questionable coke?  I would fire the manager for his outrageous behavior.  If their margins at that low that a Coke was a issue, his managerial abilities are very questionable.  I doubt in Walmart owns them, my guess is they have a contract and lease a certain amount of stores to some fast food facilities.

Paul E. Smith
    Knoxville, TN

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15061
      • Roadfood Insider
      Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Sun, 10/13/13 10:40 PM (permalink)
      I agree with Paul about the 'manners' of the MacDonald's Manager...even if in principle he is/was correct. Many of the services offered in Big Box stores are contracted out to other providers, and the emplyees of those 'subsets' are not always Walmart employees.  In our local store the Auto Service is "contract" but the tires and retail section is Walmart...Same with Photo Finishing, The personnel are not Walmart folks, but there is a cash register operator who rings up sales for both the photo finishers and the walmart retail on the same machines.  I think the pharmcey is also set up that way.
        The Walmart employee who was 'fired' should appeal to her Walmart Manager. I think she was wrong to assert the 'free refills all shift long' idea, but That is a correctable error not termination material.

Glenn1234

• Total Posts: 509
        Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Sun, 10/13/13 10:51 PM (permalink)

Wow!   What a jack-ass manager!   Assuming that employee was not outright lying, .... as a customer, I would have walked up to that manager and said, "I'm firing you!  I'll never shop here again, and I'm telling all my friends not to shop here ... unless you bring back that employee and apologize to her.  I'll check back in two day to make sure she is re-employed.    By the way, who's your boss that you report to?"

Glenn

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9545
          Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Mon, 10/14/13 1:21 AM (permalink)
          The McDonalds businesses in the Wal-Mart stores are owned by McDonalds. Generally, they are corporate stores. They Lease the space from Wal-Mart. Not sure, but they may pay a % on sales too. Therefore a Wal-Mart employee has no  more privileges than any other customer off the street.
          I believe customers can get refills as long as they are in the McDonalds store in conjunction with a current purchase. They cannot leave the Mickey D store and come back later for refills.
          I doubt that the McDonalds manager has the authority to Fire a Wal-Mart employee.
          There's more to this story than has surfaced here.
          CATHYFTR:
          Do you know if anyone notified the Wal-Mart manager as to what happened?
          <message edited by Foodbme on Tue, 10/15/13 1:24 AM>

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7745
            Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Mon, 10/14/13 3:59 AM (permalink)
            Nerangis Management Corporation is the owner/operator of the McDonald's @ Wal-Mart in Winchester VA.

cathyftr

• Total Posts: 87
              Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Mon, 10/14/13 7:34 PM (permalink)
              Foodbme

CATHYFTR:
              Do you know if anyone notified the Wal-Mart manager as to what happened?

Actually I myself  did contact Wal-Mart today and talked to one of their managers about this, that is despite over the objection by my husband. The incident took place in a Wal-Mart in Aurora, Colorado ( we are in Denver for a wedding ). My husband is from Denver and  nothing personal to those who are members from that city but my husband calls Denver and the surround area "sue city garbage". In other words to him when it comes to seeing something like this in Denver its best to say nothing at all or one could be taking a risk. That's his opinion.

Anyway the manger did tell me that they knew of the incident and nobody was fired and no one from McDonalds has the power to directly fire a Wal-Mart employee but the manager I did talk to did say that the  McDonalds or the other businesses that have shop inside their store can go through the usual legal channels and have someone banned from the McDonalds ( or the bank, hair salon..etc..) and if that person works for that Wal-Mart then he/she depending on the incident can be fired but it would be Wal-Mart doing the firing not McDonalds.

ann peeples

• Total Posts: 8317
                Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Tue, 10/15/13 8:18 AM (permalink)
                Target is different-while we have a Starbucks and Pizza Hut Express, we are Target employees. We have to adhere to the branding of said areas, but only have to answer to Target. And we encourage both guests and team members, when buying a soda, that there are free refills so keep their cups. That manager of the Mcdonalds needs to be, at the very least, admonished, if not fired. You don't, ever, do that to an employee in public.

Tampico

• Total Posts: 84
                  Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Tue, 10/15/13 2:43 PM (permalink)
                  Sounds like the manager handled it poorly. But I bet he is fed up with people drinking free soda all day. He should talk to WalMart and get the rules straight. The employee said they had filled it 2 hours ago and got free refills all day during the shift. Sounds like a crazy rule. cathyftr did your husband get mad that you did not honor his objection to get involved? 

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                    • Roadfood Insider
                    Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Tue, 10/15/13 9:50 PM (permalink)
                    Our local WM/MCD is totally different

The MCD leaves their fountain on all night and the employees of wm go in and get refills all night long.

There is a good working relationship between the two, and the MCD is locally owned & operated.

ann peeples

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Wed, 10/16/13 3:34 AM (permalink)
                      Tampico- its not a crazy rule. Soda costs are pennies and no one should go off about it. Now if they were helping themselves to Big Macs...that's a different story.

Tampico

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Wed, 10/16/13 6:45 AM (permalink)
                        ann peeples

Tampico- its not a crazy rule. Soda costs are pennies and no one should go off about it. Now if they were helping themselves to Big Macs...that's a different story.

I agree the manager should not have gotten loud or offensive. I would fire the manager on the spot. Quietly in private. As to the free all day soda for one price. Are you in favor of allowing patrons of WalMart to fill up for free all day? The bottomless soda. I have to disagree. If we heard the managers side of the story it might be way different. Heck they might use the same cup for days. Or all using the same cup and refilling other containers. Did you see the EBT people loading up carts of food at WalMart and stealing? Give people an inch today they will take a mile. 

How many of the WalMart employees are refilling everyday?  

mjambro

• Total Posts: 419
                          Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Wed, 10/16/13 7:36 AM (permalink)
                          Along that line, I'm amused at all the advertisements for "free" breakfast at various motels.

If it was truly "free" anyone should be able to stop in.

CCinNJ

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Wed, 10/16/13 2:13 PM (permalink)
                            Behavior aside which is unacceptable under any circumstance...

Even with the best intentions to have & maintain a good working relationship when there's an independent business of food & drink operating within a business with employees & a sales floor...it becomes a fluid situation.

Many time there are employment rules that prohibit drinking beverages while working. It only takes a few spills or cups left here & there by employees before that becomes an issue.

As far as soda only being soda...no big deal. It's a big deal when it's about soda sales that are expected by the owner who is paying for all costs associated with the business. It's a big deal for the Corporation that gets a portion of those sales. It's also a matter of a publicly-traded company with vocal shareholders.
                            <message edited by CCinNJ on Wed, 10/16/13 2:42 PM>

felix4067

• Total Posts: 3292
                              Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Wed, 10/16/13 6:50 PM (permalink)
                              Regardless of what the manager may have thought, and regardless of how the manager may have acted...If she was told (presumably by someone who works at the McDonald's as opposed to a random person in the store) that she could have free refills during her shift, and she proceeded to get refills during her shift, she is not at fault. The person who told her she could have free refills when she was not supposed to have them is at fault.

ann peeples

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Thu, 10/17/13 12:04 PM (permalink)
                                I remind everyone, whether they are a guest or employees, that refills on soda are free. Most people don't go nuts-And as we are not allowed to beverages at our work stations, never had a big problem.

Tampico

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Fri, 10/18/13 1:02 PM (permalink)
                                  ann peeples

I remind everyone, whether they are a guest or employees, that refills on soda are free. Most people don't go nuts-And as we are not allowed to beverages at our work stations, never had a big problem.

Are refills free at McDonalds if you leave and come back? I did not know that was policy. I learned something new today. 

CCinNJ

Re:Those Wal-Mart McDonalds & Subway locations.... Fri, 10/18/13 5:57 PM (permalink)
                                    Locations that include self-serve beverages have the refill policy posted by the machine.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                      • No New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                                      • Read Message
                                      • Post New Thread
                                      • Reply to message
                                      • Post New Poll
                                      • Submit Vote
                                      • Post reward post
                                      • Delete my own posts
                                      • Delete my own threads
                                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com