Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
  • Roadfood Insider
In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Thu, 10/31/13 10:53 PM (permalink)
Since I am waiting until next week to start my slugburger adventure, and I was hungry, AND i got a message this morning from the ONE AND ONLY Poverty Pete asking if I would like to meet up at The Pharmacy for lunch, I quickly said HECK YES!!

The Pharmacy Burger Parlor and Beer Garden - What a combination.
731 McFerrin Ave
Nashville, TN
http://thepharmacynashville.com/

I had been here before with my father a while back and really enjoyed their "Stroganoff Burger" so I ordered that, i was torn between it and the farmers burger or the beer garden platter.

Poverty Pete ordered the Beirgarten Platter (choice of 3 HOUSE made Wursts) I should have gotten them...

Here is the stroganoff burger platter with fresh cut fries and german potato salad

This is PP's biergarten platter (can't remember which ones he chose except forthe curry wurst)
  My lemon Phosphate

Which was very good, and lemony and refreshing

I would love for this place to be consistent, PP loved his food, and my burger was good too, but my fries were cold (straight from the kitchen) and so was the "warm" potato salad.  When I got back to the car and detailed my meal in my adventure log out of a possible 110 points, I could only give them a 76 for this meal. 

I know there has to be better burgers out there and PP gave me the name of my next stop, Gabby's Burgers (which was already on the top of my to do list)  So with PP telling me to go there I am headed that direction soon.

It was really good to see PP again, and catch up with his latest jobs ( I want to be him)
Thanks PP for sending me the msg and meeting up for lunch.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9526
    Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Thu, 10/31/13 11:43 PM (permalink)
    A Burger Safari in Nashville is not complete without a visit to Rotiers!
    http://www.rotiersrestaurant.com/

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
      Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/1/13 2:34 AM (permalink)
      Agreed

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
        Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/1/13 7:18 AM (permalink)
        Thirded

DT

buffetbuster

Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/1/13 7:46 AM (permalink)
          Foodbme

.....or Brown's Diner

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
            Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/1/13 9:49 AM (permalink)
            The other two wursts I had were the regular brat, and the bockwurst.  I'm not too fond of their German potato salad, but the house made sauerkraut is really good.
            I hadn't realized it was Halloween until Donald walked in disguised as "The Great Pumpkin."

Davwud

Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/1/13 6:58 PM (permalink)
              buffetbuster

Foodbme

.....or Brown's Diner

Browns is great. Rotier's is awesome

DT

CajunKing

• Total Posts: 6317
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Wed, 11/20/13 11:29 PM (permalink)
                Ok, now that my trip is winding down and I have some extra time this evening I thought I would catch you all up on the search for the best burger in Nashville Area.

Gabby's Burgers & Fries
                493 Humphreys Street
                Nashville, TN
                www.gabbysburgersandfries.com

The Seamus (Shay - Mus) Burger
                5 oz of grass fed beef
                pepperjack cheese
                lettuce
                onion
                FRESH CUT FRIES

Shortly after that stop I was at

Brown's Diner
                2102 Blair Blvd
                Nashville, TN
                http://www.brownsdiner.com/

This place was more neighborhood bar and grill than "Diner", but none the less I was here and the cheesburger had my name on it.

Now this was a fine burger, I asked for med rare and it came out blackened and mooing.    I guess the combo of the two made it MR.
                I was still in search of a better burger. So I woofed this down and headed out into the city again to find the perfect best burger in Nashville.

Rotier's was the next stop on my hit list, i have had their burger before and it is quite good, but the hash brown casserole is WONDERFUL and i had to help myself to two servings.

I went with Rotier's classic cheeseburger on french bread

I was good, but not OUTSTANDING, so the search will continue

Back to Lebanon after a few other stops for non burger related places.  I was reachhing my beyond breaking point, but I had 1 more stop to make (ok i had planned 3 more stops, but my body was rejecting that idea)

Sunset Family Restaurant
                http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Overview/8164/sunset-family-restaurant

The word on the street is that they have a good cheeseburger called the "Nokes" Burger so i was close to home and what the heck.

This was a mighty fine burger, thin and crispy yet substantial, it filled the bun and the bun was out of this world too.

So the search would have to continue on another day, I had eaten WAY too much this day and I felt like it.

The next day however was a new day and another chapter in the search for the best burger in Nashville.

This day found me back to Gabby's Burgers and Fries (Do you see a pattern developing her?)

This is the Gabby Burger run through the kitchen
                2 x 5oz grass fed beef patties
                fresh baked bun
                fresh cut fries
                bacon
                fried egg over easy
                homemade chili

3 words/letters...  OMG!!!

It was SOOOO good I found myself there the next day too.
                This is the November Special - The Santino Burger
                (Doug the owner LOVES the godfather movies, hence The Santino)

Fresh grass fed ground beef
                fresh ground pork sausage
                fried up with:
                grilled onions
                grilled mushrooms
                Marinara Sauce
                &
                Provolone Cheese

I must say that on this visit to gabby's I learned that they were just named the #1 Burger Place in Nashville, and I am not going to disagree with the locals.

So after 3 weeks and countless hamburgers here are my results:

#5  Brown's Diner
                #4  Sunset Family Restaurant
                #3  Rotiers
                #2  The Pharmacy
                #1  Gabby's Burgers & Fries

I lookforward to my return to Nashville, and gettting back to Gabby's.  I wrote a RF review for the place and hopefully it will be accepted and more and more people can learn about the Best Burger in Nashville.
                <message edited by CajunKing on Wed, 11/20/13 11:32 PM>

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4710
                  Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Thu, 11/21/13 9:16 AM (permalink)
                  Looks like they take their burgers very seriously at Gabby's!

Good luck with the review, but I hear the new editor is a real harda** and impossible to deal with.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17801
                    Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Thu, 11/21/13 11:07 AM (permalink)
                    I sure like the look of those onions on the  burger at Brown's Diner.

buffetbuster

Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Thu, 11/21/13 11:18 AM (permalink)
                      ScreamingChicken

Good luck with the review, but I hear the new editor is a real harda** and impossible to deal with.
                      Really?  I heard as long as a pie photo was included, he was a real sweetheart!

myterry2

• Total Posts: 526
                        Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/22/13 12:17 AM (permalink)
                        Wow..these are some of the best burgers I've seen in a long time.  Nice report with good pictures. Thanks.

mlm

• Total Posts: 71
                          Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Sat, 11/23/13 1:07 PM (permalink)
                          Great trip report and review for Gabby's, CK. I think you've made us all want to go there. I looked at their website. I really admire a business owner who has decided what he wants to do, keeps the restaurant size and hours to what he can manage, and then make sure he has terrific relationships with his customer and deliver a first rate product. I'd go to a place like Gabby's every day over a diverse, 24/7 place that isn't exceptional. For a place with such exceptional PR, I'd even settle for food that was less than terrific, although isn't it great that the food is so wonderful. I would love to meet that owner.

buffetbuster

Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/29/13 6:29 AM (permalink)
                            Mariton and I ate at Gabby's on Wednesday for lunch on CajunKing's recommendation. We agree, it is the real deal. The place is so popular that there was a long line out the door the entire time we were there. Nice find CK!

Davwud

Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Fri, 11/29/13 9:18 AM (permalink)
                              Unfortunately, we'll have to wait. The hours don't work with our trip this time 'round.

DT

Davwud

Re:In Search of Nashville's Greatest Burger Sun, 12/1/13 9:53 PM (permalink)
                                My last post there was about Gabby's. FWIW we were at Jack Daniels a couple days ago and were talking food with this family. The Grandfather and Father and DIL were all foodies. The DIL said Gabby's burgers were indeed the best in Nashville.

On our way home today I took a page out of your book and we stopped at The Pharmacy. Great place. I thought the burger was terrific but certainly could've been better. They say they cook them to medium to medium rare so I didn't say anything. It came decidedly well done. Not juicy at all. Still, incredibly tasty so I can see it being among the best in Nashville.

More on my trip report to be posted later.

DT

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com