The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Design Process, steps?

seeyoutomorrow

• Total Posts: 1
Design Process, steps? Mon, 11/25/13 12:32 AM (permalink)
Hi everyone, I have been browsing the threads trying to find a universal idea behind your builds. In an extended nutshell, How did you come up with a design? What factors did you have to address in your design? I have read plenty of threads on ppl just building and working with what they were building, but I'd rather plan then build. Thinking ahead I plan on my next day off to head over to the local HD and see if I can get info on what the req's will be in 2 years, so that when I am finished I will have at least 1 year before I need to change anything. 
My rig is/will be a 1995 6.5 utilimaster diesel chevy with a 20 foot box. It's a stepvan/breadvan. 

I am trying to figure out the best way to approach the planning. Do I just pretend that I get everything I want/or not, and plan a build that compensates that, or is there a more systematic approach that will enable me to plan out most everything without leaving things to, "I will think about it when I get there" ?

If my forum skills suck and you can find posts that address this, please lock thread and point me in a direction.

thanks,
seeyoutomorrow

Midnights

• Total Posts: 182
    Re:Design Process, steps? Mon, 11/25/13 1:38 PM (permalink)
    I don't know what you mean by, "plan a build that compensates that..." I think you are missing a word in there somewhere.

Plan your build around what your menu will be. Your menu will dictate what equipment you need. Many people use software to design their trucks. I just used old fashioned graph paper.
    Measure your truck (accounting for insulated walls, if you are doing that). Measure all of your equipment (or get the measurements online if you haven't already bought your equipment). Take one piece of graph paper and draw outlines for the fottpads of all of your equipment on it, then cut out each piece of equipment. Get a second sheet of graph paper and make the outline of the interior of your truck. This will allow you to move things around, to get a better feel for how things will fit. This will also help you decide where you want to put your window and where you need electrical outlets.

As far as trying to get regulations that don't yet exist, I doubt the Health Dept. will oblige. They don't want to be put into a bad legal position where they tell you one thing and then the laws or regulations change differently than they told you. They will be more than happy to give you what they are currently. They might even speak in vague terms as to what they might change, but they won't put any of that in writing, or assure you in any sense that could be legally actionable later. Unless they foresee sweeping changes very soon, most places don't update their regulations all that regularly. The code here in Denver went over 20 years before being updated.

kapowtruck

• Total Posts: 117
      Re:Design Process, steps? Mon, 11/25/13 2:50 PM (permalink)
      seeyoutomorrow

Hi everyone, I have been browsing the threads trying to find a universal idea behind your builds. In an extended nutshell, How did you come up with a design? What factors did you have to address in your design? I have read plenty of threads on ppl just building and working with what they were building, but I'd rather plan then build. Thinking ahead I plan on my next day off to head over to the local HD and see if I can get info on what the req's will be in 2 years, so that when I am finished I will have at least 1 year before I need to change anything. 
      My rig is/will be a 1995 6.5 utilimaster diesel chevy with a 20 foot box. It's a stepvan/breadvan. 

I am trying to figure out the best way to approach the planning. Do I just pretend that I get everything I want/or not, and plan a build that compensates that, or is there a more systematic approach that will enable me to plan out most everything without leaving things to, "I will think about it when I get there" ?

If my forum skills suck and you can find posts that address this, please lock thread and point me in a direction.

thanks,
      seeyoutomorrow

Welcome to the roadfood.com!
      Congrats on your purchase!

For kitchen layout, I already had my menu set so I knew what equipment I needed. I lucked out and found a used truck with exactly what I needed. I just have to spruce it up.  

Now on design are you talking about the outside graphics? If so I had a friend come up with 20 designs with 20 keywords I gave her. I took those designs and post the on my FB page to see what my friends think and what caught there eye the most. Once I got down to 3 designs I chose the most franchisee looking one. Also I went to DC, Philly, Baltimore, and NYC to see what type of design was more popular. I.E. trucks with tons of food pics on it or trucks that were a clean and simple design.

Hopefully that helps a bit

~thai guy

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com