The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Thu, 01/9/14 8:34 PM (permalink)
I need some suggestions for tasty soft textured foods for the next week or so....I was unlucky enough to have to undergo oral surgery (sparing you all the details), but after a week of pain leading up to it, and having the surgery this morning; I feel like a new man.  However, I have lived on room temperature mashed potatoes, pudding, overcooked pasta, and soft fruits for the last week,....I still have about another week of softer foods to go before I can safely tackle back into a juicy steak or some ribs again...(makes my mouth water just to think of it...).

Anybody else been through this and have some suggestions?  Vegetarian foods are fine, too; mainly because we can cook the vegetables until very tender.   Meats are a little bit of a challenge to get tender enough for the next few days, too.

Thank you!

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3594
    Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Thu, 01/9/14 9:02 PM (permalink)
    I've had similar challenges too. Butternut or acorn squash dishes are good. Of course, I made a meatloaf which worked out well. Fish in general was soft enough, especially tilapia and catfish. Asian soups are good such as won ton, although I did have problems with pho because of the long noodles. Other Chinese dishes such as ma po tofu or shredded pork and eggplant were sufficiently soft and fine enough to be no problem. I smoked some pork butt and just chopped it up a lot for myself.  Red beans and rice worked amazingly well and even those XLNT tamales. Ok, they are not what I am used to these days at the local taquerias, but it's easy to eat. Good luck!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7762
      Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Thu, 01/9/14 11:34 PM (permalink)
      Mashed turnips with your mashed potatoes or alone if you've had enough potatoes.

Cream of Wheat
      Polenta
      Cream of whatever soup...puréed
      Hummus

Protein shakes or shots if you've been eating carbs most of the time.
      <message edited by CCinNJ on Fri, 01/10/14 12:17 AM>

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
        Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 1:10 AM (permalink)
        I had oral surgery the day Michael Jackson died, whenever that was. 

I started with the typical soft foods that you mentioned then graduated to cheese enchiladas and bean and cheese burritos.

Then I realized that if the food was cut into small, bite sized pieces I could handle them.  So I moved up to Chinese food.  Mabo Tofu was a favorite but so were chicken dishes.

I craved flavor.

the grillman

• Total Posts: 624
          Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 7:09 AM (permalink)
          thank you all for the suggestions; I like the ideas about catfish or tilapia; if I bake it, shouldn't be too bad for me to deal with. texture wise.   Also the Texmex ideas; as I'm going to a family event at a Mexican restaurant this weekend, and was trying to decide if I can handle that.  And yes, I'm sick of carbs; mashed turnips or parsnips sounds great right now.  Poached eggs are going to be on my breakfast menu this morning, I think.  Had plenty of oatmeal and hot cereal already.

This really helped me, I really was stumped; as I needed to cook and eat, and didn't feel like either, and nothing sounded good anymore.  Thank you again!

MetroplexJim

• Total Posts: 3708
            Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 7:24 AM (permalink)
            Ice cream, hold the nuts & chunks.

ScreamingChicken

• Total Posts: 4737
              Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 8:28 AM (permalink)
              the grillman

I need some suggestions for tasty soft textured foods for the next week or so
              Jello shots.

waltpiii

Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 9:42 AM (permalink)
                Mac and cheese

EdSails

• Total Posts: 3594
                  Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 9:59 AM (permalink)
                  ScreamingChicken

the grillman

I need some suggestions for tasty soft textured foods for the next week or so
                  Jello shots.

I wish I'd thought of that when I had my dental work done in December!

chewingthefat

• Total Posts: 6103
                    Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 12:40 PM (permalink)
                    Spaghetti with meatless/beanless Chili sauce on it!
                    <message edited by chewingthefat on Sat, 01/11/14 11:50 AM>

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6259
                      Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 12:51 PM (permalink)
                      chewingthefat

Spaghetti with meatless/beanless sauce on it!

I would rather have an endless supply of cream of crab soup!!!! 

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9583
                        Re:suggestions needed, please! tasty food after oral surgery needed Fri, 01/10/14 6:46 PM (permalink)
                        Mushroom Soup, Split Pea Soup, Onion Soup, Beer Cheese Soup,
                        Finely Ground Corn Beef Hash.
                        Colcannon, Ground Beef Chili, Egg Salad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                          • No New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                          • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                          • Locked w/ New Messages
                          • Locked w/o New Messages
                          • Read Message
                          • Post New Thread
                          • Reply to message
                          • Post New Poll
                          • Submit Vote
                          • Post reward post
                          • Delete my own posts
                          • Delete my own threads
                          • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                          What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com