Hot!Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved

Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4323
2008/10/12 07:35:13 (permalink)

Pittsburgh Memories of the 2,000,000 who moved

There are Pittsburgh expatriates all over the country, that's why the Steelers seem to have a "home field advantage" even when they play away. Here in Collin County (suburb North of Dallas) I have noticed three sports bars which advertise "All Steelers Games!". No other "foreign" team is so featured here in the heart of Cowboy Country.

The population of Greater Pittsburgh is pretty much the same as when I left for graduate school in 1969: 2,000,000. Had the career prospects been there I would have returned, but the grass was greener in Northern Virginia. Had the Pittsburgh economy not been affliced by "hardening of the arteries" the population would have been 4,000,000 by now. Interestingly, my four children - all born and raised in Redskin Country - are all Steelers fans!

Sad, but true: the major industry in Greater Pittsburgh is now health care for its aging population. In my youth Pennsylvania had the same number of Electoral Votes as California and Texas was just another "Southern state". I figure that I am just one among several million scattered about the Sun Belt who still consider Pittsburgh to be home. Times indeed have changed, but our loyalties never will.

So, here is a place to remember the food and the life we once enjoyed and a place for the 2,000,000 who still live there to make us hunger to return, even if just for a visit.
BLACK & GOLD forever!

257 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1