Helpful ReplyHot!Mr Chips Shuffles off to Buffalo

Author
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
2009/09/19 08:29:01 (permalink)

Mr Chips Shuffles off to Buffalo

I was fortunate to have two full days to explore the Buffalo-Niagra area before embarking on the official Roadfood tour. It has been a grand opportunity to sample roadfood places and visit the natural and historical sights of the area.
       Day one began with a visit to the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural National Historic Site(Wilcox Mansion) near downtown Buffalo. This was the home of TR's good friend Henry Wilcox and it is where he took the oath of office after President McKInley's death. The room where he was sworn in has been recreated faithfully, there are new exhibits about the 1901 Pan Ameerican exposition where Mckinley was shot, and a presenation about TR's takes on  the issues of his day. The site was closed for 18 months but the new exhibits make the place a much more interesting place to visit than when I last visited in 1982.
     Lunch was at Louie's Hot Dogs in Tonowanda. This is the place that invented the foot-long hot dog and of course I had a fully dressed hot dog with the western New York topping of dandelion greens and my drink was loganberry juice. Tasty, rich and filling. I liked the char of the dog and loved the toppings. Dessert was in the Kenmore area of Bufffalo, a small but delighftul frozen custard at Anderson's(roadfood reviewed) as well as an apple  sundae at Cordrell's Candy and Ice Cream shop.
     Spent the afternoon on the American side of Niagara Falls. Though I've been to the falls 5 or 6 times, I had always gone to the Canadian side. I took my first trip on The Maid of the Mist and was impressed by the spray and the thunder up close of Horseshoe Falls. It does not seem to matter how cliche the falls seem, they are always an awe inspiring sight.
     I took the opportunity to hike to Goat Island and get an up close view of the Niagara River rapids and a view over the top of the American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls. The rainbow at the bottom of the falls was spectacular and the roar once again very impressive.  I could not have asked for a better day or a better experience.
post edited by mr chips - 2013/06/30 18:25:13
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1