The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA

LJM

• Total Posts: 48
Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sat, 10/30/10 8:22 PM (permalink)
I will be visiting Atlanta, GA in a couple weeks and an looking for restaurant suggestions.  I will eat anything, but my preferences are seafood (especially catfish), Cajun or BBQ.  Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Thanks,
LJM

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
    Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 8:01 AM (permalink)
    My catfish suggestion is Catfish Jim's on Cobb Parkway (US 41) in Kennesaw.  The best Cajun is at Gumbeaux's in downtown Douglasville.  A close second is Henry's Louisiana Grill, 4849 N Main, Acworth.  For bbq, I would suggest Fox Brothers on Dekalb Avenue in Atlanta.  Also well worth considering are Dave Poe's BBQ on Whitlock Avenue in Marietta, Sam's BBQ 1 on Lower Roswell Road, Marietta.

Now, you will hear from those who disagree with me.  They will provide their suggestions and Roadfood will be what it is - a group of people sharing their thoughts about food. 

After your trip, please let us know where you ate and what you thought of each place.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4482
      Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 8:21 AM (permalink)
      Not disagreeing with any of the above - but you must make one stop at at Varasano's Pizza (http://www.varasanos.com/) for what I consider to be one of the very best pizzas in America.  yes, in America. 

Meat and Three at Mary Mac's is also what I'd consider a must-stop.  A very short distance from Mary Mac's is The Varsity

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
        Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 11:59 AM (permalink)
        Fox Brothers is indeed fantastic; you'll get no argument from me there, but I'm still raving about my first trip to Harold's (reviewed in the Georgia section here on the site) two weeks ago - that stew is just amazing.  As far as inside-the-perimeter barbecue, I'm also fond of The Old Brick Pit and Fat Matt's.

Whereabouts in Atlanta are you staying?  One down side to this city is that it's incredibly sprawled out.  Depending on the time of day, your twenty-mile trip from downtown to mine and Milt's neck of the woods (suburban Cobb County) could be a ninety-minute crawl.

Oh, and yes, Varasano's serves one of, if not the very best pizza in the country.

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 12:09 PM (permalink)

The Steam House in Buckhead ... This place kind of overflows when it gets busy, despite having three distinct spaces.  If weather permits, sit upstairs on the outside porch and order some steamed seafood.

I am impressed that their seafood comes out rustic and doesn't have that salty taste that you get at chains (like around the corner at Joe's Crab Shack -- which I'd never recommend).

Panos & Pauls, also in Buckhead, but not near The Steam House ... Might be my favorite white tablecloth place in the south.  Two words:  FRIED LOBSTER.

SEE BELOW

<message edited by wheregreggeats.com on Mon, 11/1/10 3:20 PM>

whatnameisnottaken

• Total Posts: 25
            Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 1:28 PM (permalink)
            Just an FYI. Panos and Pauls is closed.

The best place IMHO you will find seafood in this landlocked town is the Crawfish Shack. I don't see a website and the links are to other review sites.
            4337 Buford Hwy
            Ste 170
            Atlanta, GA 30341
            (404) 929-6789

Agree on Fox Bros for BBQ and REALLY agree as to where you're staying. We pretty much call anything w/in a 60 mile radius "Atlanta" so it can be frustrating if you think you're closer than you thought.

Milt

• Total Posts: 354
              Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 4:03 PM (permalink)
              I almost mentioned Crawfish Shack also - but the request mentioned catfish, which is what Catfish Jim's does exceedingly well.  Crawfish Shack - as the name implies - does crawfish very well.  Crawfish Shack is Vietnamese run Cajun cuisine being served inside a fish market.  Great place!

LJM

Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Sun, 10/31/10 8:24 PM (permalink)
                Heartbreaksoup

Fox Brothers is indeed fantastic; you'll get no argument from me there, but I'm still raving about my first trip to Harold's (reviewed in the Georgia section here on the site) two weeks ago - that stew is just amazing.  As far as inside-the-perimeter barbecue, I'm also fond of The Old Brick Pit and Fat Matt's.

Whereabouts in Atlanta are you staying?  One down side to this city is that it's incredibly sprawled out.  Depending on the time of day, your twenty-mile trip from downtown to mine and Milt's neck of the woods (suburban Cobb County) could be a ninety-minute crawl.

Oh, and yes, Varasano's serves one of, if not the very best pizza in the country.

I am not certain yet about where I will be staying in Atlanta.  You absolutely correct in that Atlanta is urban sprawl at its best.

LJM

Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Mon, 11/1/10 8:43 AM (permalink)
                  wheregreggeats.com

The Steam House in Buckhead ... This place kind of overflows when it gets busy, despite having three distinct spaces.  If weather permits, sit upstairs on the outside porch and order some steamed seafood.

I am impressed that their seafood comes out rustic and doesn't have that salty taste that you get at chains (like around the corner at Joe's Crab Shack -- which I'd never recommend).

Panos & Pauls, also in Buckhead, but not near The Steam House ... Might be my favorite white tablecloth place in the south.  Two words:  FRIED LOBSTER.

The Steam House sounds great!  I will definitely check it out when in town.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Davwud

• Total Posts: 503
                    Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Mon, 11/1/10 8:48 AM (permalink)
                    The most memorable meal we had in Atlanta was at Daddy D'z BBQ.

It's a complete dump up to and including the greasy floors but the food was excellent.

http://www.daddydz.com/

DT

eagle6894

• Total Posts: 44
                      Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Mon, 11/1/10 2:38 PM (permalink)
                      Fox Bros...Ribs are awesome
                      Silver Skillet...great for breakfast
                      Mary Mac's Tea Room....everything we had was good
                      Varsity...landmark have to go....dogs not bad

wheregreggeats.com

Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Mon, 11/1/10 3:11 PM (permalink)
                        I had BBQ at Rolling Bones, downtown.  Very good ... not that I'd make that stop unless I'd been in town for a few days hitting the better choice.

Dillard's BBQ on the Buford pike ... just outside of town ... I do go out of my way to stop there -- it might just be because of  the friendly owner.

OxDawg

• Total Posts: 51
                          Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Mon, 11/1/10 3:22 PM (permalink)
                          I may be mistaken but I believe Catfish Jim's is now catering only. I might be taken to task for this but Pappadeaux has passable catfish. For a true Ga. catfish experience you have to leave the city. Falls View, outside of Jackson is very good. Neely's and Henderson's outside of Covington are known for having great fish. Frank's near Jackson Lake also has good catfish.

annacrowe

• Total Posts: 4
                            Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Fri, 01/17/14 9:29 PM (permalink)
                            Can anyone give any recommendations for a places to eat near Buford, GA? It's about an hour outside of Atlanta. Thanks!

Heartbreaksoup

• Total Posts: 407
                              Re:Where should I eat: Atlanta, GA Mon, 01/20/14 12:57 PM (permalink)
                              Rico's World Kitchen is probably the crowd favorite in Buford.  I liked Old McDonald's BBQ quite a lot once upon a time, but they're not as good as they once were.

http://burgersbarbecueandeverythingelse.wordpress.com/2013/08/27/ricos-world-kitchen-buford-ga/

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com