Hot!Weekend in Virginia

Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10225
2011/02/28 11:31:50 (permalink)

Weekend in Virginia

My girlfriend and I spent this past weekend driving around Virginia.  Some snow was moving in to western Pennsylvania in mid-afternoon on Friday, so I left work early to beat the weather.  After picking her up in Washington, PA, we made it to our first stop, Ruby & Ketchy's in Morgantown right around 1:00PM.

Located right off exit 10 of I-68, Ruby & Ketchy's

is a comfortable family diner type of joint, that I imagine very few non-locals ever visit.  The street address says Morgantown, but it is far out of town.  You can sit at a regular table, at the counter

or in one of the old wooden booths.

As usual, we chose the booth.  The menu

has all the typical diner classics and some surprising seafood dishes, which I have yet to try.  Deep fried oysters just doesn't seem to be the thing to eat in West Virginia.  Our favorite single dish is the stuffed cabbage, which is a Friday special, but unfortunately, that isn't available until 5:00pm.

Mariton went for the pork chops,

which according to the menu, is grilled to order.  When I first saw these put in front of her, my initial reaction was that those don't look very good.  But, they were surprisingly juicy for not being very thick and those are real mashed potatoes covered in a good brown gravy on the side.  She was a happy girl!  Being the unselfish person she is, when it comes to ordering sides, she picks something that she thinks I will like.  Which is why we ended up with these green beans,

which were supremely porky and the best thing I ate all day!

Having had the fine hot roast beef sandwich before, I was hoping the hot turkey sandwich would be as good.  Of course, that always depends on whether they use real roast turkey or cheap turkey loaf.

It was indeed real turkey and along with the fries, covered in a delicious chicken gravy. 

They make their own pies here, so we made sure to leave room for dessert.  Mariton went for their signature pie, the blackberry,

with a scoop of vanilla on top.  Excellent pie with an impressive flaky crust!  My choice was the chocolate pie,

which was dense and fudgy, topped by the tall, delicate meringue.  Also very, very good!

I have been to Ruby & Ketchy's at least a half dozen times now and with each visit, it goes up in my estimation.  It isn't the type of place where you walk out thinking that was the best meal ever.  But, they don't take any shortcuts and they give every single dish an honest effort.  I have yet to try anything here I didn't like.  Maybe it is time to try one of those seafood dishes. 

Ruby & Ketchy's
2232 Cheat Road
Morgantown, WV
304-594-2004

We got back on I-68 and continued east.

Much more to come.....
post edited by buffetbuster - 2011/02/28 11:35:59

132 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1