Cincinnati-style Chili Problem!

Author
ajg
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/01/08 20:07:15 (permalink)

Cincinnati-style Chili Problem!

Hi everyone!

I'm a Cincinnati native and for those of you who have never been (or tried) there isn't much in Cincinnati worth mentioning except for chili! :)

I've lived in Chicago for years now and while relatives do send some cans of Skyline, I decided to make my own Cinci-style chili. However, everything I've done seems just about right (from recipes online) but there is something not there. My chili has come out too sweet. I taste test next to a can of Skyline (not exactly like the restaurant but close) and while the spices seem darn close, it is too sweet. I don't know what to do. I'm good in the kitchen but was wondering (I don't think it needs more salt) what might be wrong.

For other cooks, do you think I should use fattier ground beef? My father, another cook, says that might fix it but I was wondering, even if you have never had Cinci-style chili (you've been missing out!!!) if you think that "theory" might hold true. I know fats are very important to taste but not sure if want to try again or if someone has another suggestion.  This is my first post so sorry to ramble! :)

P.S. This is the recipe I've used with a couple modifications. I added some clove, a little extra salt, and some hot sauce.

17 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1